Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#10201 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

So I just "finished" Magical Diary it's a amazing little indie game and created by a solo female indie devolper at that. It is a kind of RPG/Date/Life Sim I am sure someone here is into those and may also want one that is on steam. I put finished in quotes as I have only really done one play through and still is still many different endings and storylines to go through. So even though it only took me like 5 hours to beat. I really only got to see like one story path, so will be going back to play it again for sure.

Plus I mean if people threw a bunch of money at that, "Tropes Vs Women". Figure one of the few female solo developers,if only?, should at least get some support too 8-) I'll definitely be getting some of her other games off of her site as well http://www.hanakogames.com/ Cute Knight I hear is like Princess Maker soo :D

Edit : Plus you get a aftermath, 'yearbook' that you can show people after you beat the game

If only Coconut Queen had this =p

Thanks for the review! This has been at the top of my wishlist for awhile now. I was disapointed it didn't see a decent sale over the summer, but I may break CAG code and buy it full price.

#10202 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

re: MysterD's retail list

You don't know him very well, do you?

No, I don't.

To be fair, Payday went a while without being on sale at all. I know because I had my eye on it for a while. Then in like February or March was when it first hit 75% off. Since then it's hit it every month and was even the free game of the month on IGN Prime. But it is a great little game if you like L4D style coop shooters.

Exactly! :applause:

And Coconut Queen. My girlfriend told me it was time to sleep last night and when I went into the bedroom she was playing it on her laptop and didn't stop for another 30 minutes. Dammit, Motoki....

Damn, addictive little gem Motoki discovered.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10203 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

I've been putting off starting Alan Wake since I plowed through L.A. Noire and all these comments have alternately worried and encouraged me. I think I was most looking forward to it being a better "port" than what Rockstar crapped out.

Also been grinding Killing Floor, and the next person that makes it sound the same as L4D gets a pipe bomb down their drawers.

Are games supposed to make you this grumpy?
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#10204 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

I've been putting off starting Alan Wake since I plowed through L.A. Noire and all these comments have alternately worried and encouraged me. I think I was most looking forward to it being a better "port" than what Rockstar crapped out.

Also been grinding Killing Floor, and the next person that makes it sound the same as L4D gets a pipe bomb down their drawers.

Alan Wake is a great port, if you ask me. Though I haven't played LA Noire, so I guess I don't know what you're comparing it to port-wise. I also love that the DLC is included in the base game for the pc version.

#10205 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

Indirectly, yes.

If you play games all day you'll never find a Coconut Queen of your own. This leads to sexual frustration which ultimately causes grumpiness. :wave:

MARS

#10206 Umair56

Umair56

CHINA DON'T CARE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

Indirectly, yes.

If you play games all day you'll never find a Coconut Queen of your own. This leads to sexual frustration which ultimately causes grumpiness. :wave:

Does Coconut Queen perpetuate or relieve sexual frustration?

From what I can tell its been known to do either one, depending on the CAG.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/umair56
Umair56 on Origin, PSN, Battle.net, etc etc

#10207 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

Not sure if I should be amused or horrified that coconut queen has continued on after the summer sale. Hmm Babel tower looks interesting so I think I'll toss that onto my wishlist. Anyone tried the Payday dlc?

#10208 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

I beat Coconut Queen and got the story ending but no dancing.

I can't finish 9 and 10 on the temple level. I can only find enough space to build two palaces, and then because there's no hotels available to build or clear land I can't get 550 tourists. Bah.

There are still two locked buildings too. I'm not sure how to get at them.

#10209 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

Alan Wake is a great port, if you ask me. Though I haven't played LA Noire, so I guess I don't know what you're comparing it to port-wise. I also love that the DLC is included in the base game for the pc version.

It was originally with LA Noire too but then they quietly removed it, put it for sale separately or with the "complete pack" and hoped no one would notice.

#10210 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:45 AM

Not sure if I should be amused or horrified that coconut queen has continued on after the summer sale. Hmm Babel tower looks interesting so I think I'll toss that onto my wishlist. Anyone tried the Payday dlc?

Well blame Motoki, half of the users on here have it because of him. :lol: And thanks Motoki for finding the gem that is Coconut Queen, land of brawny gents and succulent fruit.
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#10211 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

I can't finish 9 and 10 on the temple level. I can only find enough space to build two palaces, and then because there's no hotels available to build or clear land I can't get 550 tourists. Bah.

My setup didn't work for part 10 of that level so I demolished everything at the beginning of the level and managed to complete all of the objectives without a problem.

#10212 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

Keeping up with the thread, not finding time to play the games. Typical weekday.

#10213 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

Here's a neat little trick...

if you're required to build x number of buildings of the same type you always have the option of... constructing/salvaging/constructing/salvaging the same building over and over. This works except for level 9 Temple where you will also be required to have 2 Temples of a certain level. Rip down a few of the smaller units to create more space, if needed.

76561197971332172.png

#10214 BoringPat

BoringPat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

About Rig N' Roll, I remember someone here mentioned they have success using Xbox Wirelss Speed Wheel for it. To what extent does the wheel work in RnR? How about in other PC/Steam racing games?
Posted Image
Games are meant to be bought and hoarded!

#10215 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

Okay, here's what you need to do. Throw Contract JACK away. If you have played NOLF2, you're set. If not, what the flying hell is wrong with you? NOLF1 and 2 are amazing.

Second, bump SWAT4 to the top of your list. It's not as hard as it might seem, and it's by Irrational Games so somehow they fill with atmosphere a game that should be dry as hell.

And, of course, Thief 2.

Everything else, eh. But these are the sorts of games you should get in before you die

Yes, NOLF 1 and 2 were great. :)
I don't know why, but I never got to Contract JACK.

EDIT:
I never finished Thief 1: The Dark Project.
That's probably why I never got to Thief 2.
Though, I did like Thief: Deadly Shadows A LOT.

#10216 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

About Rig N' Roll, I remember someone here mentioned they have success using Xbox Wirelss Speed Wheel for it. To what extent does the wheel work in RnR? How about in other PC/Steam racing games?

Rig n Roll has native 360 controller support so it and any other game that supports a 360 controller works fine. You may need to map or remap some of the buttons depending on the game though.

Originally when I tried the wheel controller in Rig n Roll accelerate in wasn't mapped to anything on the wheel controller so the cops pulled me over for going below the speed limit. :lol:

That's easy enough to fix in the game options though. I mapped right trigger to accelerate, left to break, etc. Right and left movement of the truck is automatically mapped to turning your wheel right or left so you don't have to change that.

#10217 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

How many of those did you rebuy on Steam? ;)

Actually, I also got DIRT 1 on Steam.

Reason being: I bought that Codemasters Racing Pack (GRID, FUEL, DIRT 1 and 2) at that time and really wanted DIRT 2 at that time. I also had an interest in GRID (which I still ain't played, actually).

Even though RTCW ain't on my "uninstalled/unfinished" list (since I did finish RTCW SP, YEARS ago), I do own RTCW from Retail (bought it week of release) and Steam. I re-bought it on Steam namely b/c I bought that Wolf Pack on Wolfenstein's B-Day this year b/c I wanted all the old Wolfenstein games that I was missing.
I.e. I was missing every Wolfenstein game before RTCW.

Not often do I re-buy games on Steam, which I already own elsewhere - unless I find some MAJOR benefit to having Steam version (i.e. dealing w/ less of a patching process, newer version of game is on Steam, more content is in Steam version, game comes in a bigger pack w/ other stuff I want, game's VERY-VERY cheap, etc).
I do add some games that I've bought elsewhere as "Non-Steam" games, BTW - since I seem to be always on Steam.

No, I don't.

Keep reading my posts...and you'll get to know me. ;)
Nice to meet you - I'm "MysterD."

Edited by MysterD, 08 August 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#10218 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

According to steamprices, Two Worlds: Velvet Edition has been $10 on July 15th, but it doesn't say where, anyone remember? Also, the Steam version of the Velvet Edition doesn't come with the Castle Defense DLC, but the one being offered on PSN right now does, they are calling it the Velvet Game of the Year, but I'm thinking it's better to wait for it to drop on sale for steam again.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#10219 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

According to steamprices, Two Worlds: Velvet Edition has been $10 on July 15th, but it doesn't say where, anyone remember?

Wasn't that on steam proper during the summer sale?
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#10220 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

Wasn't that on steam proper during the summer sale?

damn, how fast we forget, yeah I just googled it combined with summer sale, and apparently it was 75% off on day 3, I thought I made it out og the sale with everything on my wishlist, and caught every single vote and all, now I realize, Steam won....Steam always wins. :sad face:

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

#10221 DixieWrecTNINJA

DixieWrecTNINJA

TEAM NINJA CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

I though it was cheaper than that cause when TW2 was a flash deal or daily i got the best version of TW2 that cheap or less than $10 and i remember the first was discounted the same percentage, could be wrong though

According to steamprices, Two Worlds: Velvet Edition has been $10 on July 15th, but it doesn't say where, anyone remember? Also, the Steam version of the Velvet Edition doesn't come with the Castle Defense DLC, but the one being offered on PSN right now does, they are calling it the Velvet Game of the Year, but I'm thinking it's better to wait for it to drop on sale for steam again.

#10222 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

I played Alan Wake on 360, thought it was just ok. Wasn't scary at all and the controls were awful same with the gunplay I thought. Then again I also love Resident Evil 1-3 and Parasite Eve so either I am weird and in the minority because of that or Alan Wake's controls were just that bad when you can say Resident Evil handled better.

At several points I had to force, FORCE, my way through Alan Wake's combat just to see how the story ends. Every 10 steps towards the end guys would jump out, it felt way to grindy and that is my biggest pet peeve in games; when games pad themselves out with just monotonous busy work just to make the game seem longer. My suggestion but the game on easy and blast through the combat and enjoy the storyline as it is the best thing the game does have that you can't find in many games these days.

Also I know right? I went back to Killing Floor after when it first released and can't believe how much it has changed at least release it wasn't modded and added with so many conflicting creature designs and weapons and everyone was still learning the game so was fun to run around and try and survive the waves. Now days it is like you have giant scorpions and santa clauses and anything other random creature and 20 people just camping the roof throwing out grenades.

If a game makes you grumpy, better to just turn down the difficulty, or cheat if that isn't a option, and if you can't do either of those just youtube the ending(Drakensang:The Dark Eye's last level I am looking at you :bomb: )

Careful, After looking at the forums TW2 has bonus DRM and worse than usual. Basically you get only 3 machine activations/installs which ever comes first. And to get more? You have to go on their forums and ask a Moderator to give you more activations. Only problem I heard from the steam forums is the Mods are a lot like Steamgift's Mods were and are power junkies so basically you have to beg and listen to them chastise you and how you are just so lucky they are giving you more keys, if you even get that.

I was going to buy the game until I heard what you had to do, to get more keys. (http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2811524)
Posted Image

#10223 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

Careful, After looking at the forums TW2 has bonus DRM and worse than usual. Basically you get only 3 machine activations/installs which ever comes first. And to get more? You have to go on their forums and ask a Moderator to give you more activations. Only problem I heard from the steam forums is the Mods are a lot like Steamgift's Mods were and are power junkies so basically you have to beg and listen to them chastise you and how you are just so lucky they are giving you more keys, if you even get that.

I was going to buy the game until I heard what you had to do, to get more keys. (http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2811524)

Thanks, I'm going to jump on the PSN $10 all-in-one version, is this standard practice?, I did check the store page, there's no mention of additional DRM, and the pages I googled mentioned the DLC issues as well as a 3 machine/install limit. I change my hardware way to much to take that chance, much appreciated B Bunny. (That's what I'm going to continue to call you, btw It's been decided, over, done.) What would be good is if there was a site that kept track of DRM requirements for games, any such site exist? (Dick move by Valve having no mention of the DRM on it's store page)

#10224 DixieWrecTNINJA

DixieWrecTNINJA

TEAM NINJA CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

It was $10 For Two Worlds 2 Velvet on Steam during the summer sale according to my reciept if that helps

#10225 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

I will say that adventure games can be a slow genre to warm up to. The pacing is different, and you aren't really doing a whole lot on screen. I could totally understand trying to start your way in with something like Syberia and being turned off. It's a slow game (but an utterly beautiful one!).

Instead, I would suggest starting with something light, such as TellTale's Back to the Future or Sam & Max series. Each episode can be completed in about 2-3 hours, the puzzles are generally light (especially in BttF), and you can get used to things in a pretty enjoyable, light-hearted environment. Then you just work your way up the ladder.

When I first started play The Longest Journey I didn't know I was suppose to pick stuff up. After I realized that I start clicking on every tiny thing to see if I was suppose to pick it up or solve some mysterious puzzle (This is also a problem with Bethesda games- I'm a virtual hoarder). I drove myself mad. I was really worried I was going to miss something and not be able to solve a future puzzle. It made the game take much longer than it should have.

I plan on checking out BttF and The Walking Dead. Hopefully I can get my OCD in check when I play those games.
Posted Image

#10226 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:34 AM

Thanks, I'm going to jump on the PSN $10 all-in-one version, is this standard practice?, I did check the store page, there's no mention of additional DRM, and the pages I googled mentioned the DLC issues as well as a 3 machine/install limit. I change my hardware way to much to take that chance, much appreciated B Bunny. (That's what I'm going to continue to call you, btw It's been decided, over, done.) What would be good is if there was a site that kept track of DRM requirements for games, any such site exist? (Dick move by Valve having no mention of the DRM on it's store page)

I know right I am thinking about the PSN version as well. But I remember renting it from game fly and the motion blur is really intense. May want to check out game play videos on youtube on the PS3 if you can find some. I know a lot of people complained about how like when you spin the camera your view and everything becomes blurred and moves super fast expect for your character so apparently it has made a lot of people motion sick.(This should give you a idea if you notice the blur in it, )

Also I always end up using this site which helps when the game has hidden DRM http://steamdrm.flib...he_Big_DRM_List (Also B Bunny makes me feel like I am in Space Jam 8-))
Posted Image

#10227 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

Also B Bunny makes me feel like I am in Space Jam 8-))

That's a good thing, right? :bunny ears:

huh, how do they not have a smiley with bunny ears? :sad face: :fail:

#10228 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:42 AM

For steam related downloads this is a great site for drm info

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/

23480.png

#10229 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

I also had an interest in GRID (which I still ain't played, actually).

If you liked/wanted Dirt 2, I think you'll like/love GRID. Imo it's the best arcade-y racer in the last decade (on PC at least), though Burnout 3 stands similarly high in a different way. The physics model in GRID is so enjoyable, a nice balance of depth and fun.

For reference, my opinions of known titles (100% completion or close unless noted):
NFS: Underground : okay
NFS: Underground 2 : Fun.
NFS: MW : Much Fun.
NFS: Carbon : Enjoyable, ranks a little under NFS:U2
NFS: ProStreet: skipped
NFS: Undercover : Dull waste of time... throw me a challenge here... I'm not used to getting 1st place on my first attempt most of the time.
NFS: Shift : Didn't like... supposedly there's something interesting if you tweak all the setting away from the completely stupid defaults (e.g. cars seem featherweight)
NFS: Hot Pursuit (2, 2010) Much Fun
NFS: Shift 2 : Backlog
NFS: The Run: Enjoyable, but hard to recommend. Quite pretty, but 30 FPS cap. Damn stupidest thing is the rare gas station method of switching cars... too rare, impossible/hard to know what kind of car (muscle/steet racer/exotic) to pick to handle the next several tracks/segments.. and switching cars sets you back a few seconds. Minor gripe: a few forced-in quick-time-events (in cutscenes, not in driving). Also annoying is the ability to replay by chapter, a string of ~5 segments.

Burnout Paradise: Fun/Enjoyable... I wish it was more challenging though. Pretty.
Burnout 3, 4, 5: Awesome... I liked the challenge of 3 the best.

Dirt : Backlog... need to boot to XP or check into fixes for Win7 compatability, supposedly good
Dirt 2: Excellent (And I hadn't been a fan of offroad racers.)
Dirt 3: Backlog /shame (though since good/decent racers are one-a-year at best I like to keep something in reserve)

GRID: Most Excellent, edges out Dirt 2. Much replayability. I wish they made a sequel/expanion (just give me more tracks/cars. I especially liked Nürburgring (the Bahrain track was memorable too).

Split Second: Much fun. The gimmick set-destruction is very very well integrated and mastery of is critical to getting 1st place. Unfortunately, I've played 2/3 though three times... my saves get horribly corrupted. (Despiite rolling back to prior saves: GoGo Dropbox restore w/Link Shell Extention -- I should post about that separately). I want to finish this sometime by not exiting it before completion.

Driver: SF : It's a car themed game, not a racer, imo. I didn't like it that much... though some of that is disappointment from expecting more of a racer. The shift mechanic is novel.

Blur: Backlog

Flatout 1/2/UC : Backlog

Midnight Club II: Played an hour... didn't grab me

#10230 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

If you liked/wanted Dirt 2, I think you'll like/love GRID. Imo it's the best arcade-y racer in the last decade (on PC at least), though Burnout 3 stands similarly high in a different way. The physics model in GRID is so enjoyable, a nice balance of depth and fun.

For reference, my opinions of known titles (100% completion or close unless noted):
NFS: Underground : okay
NFS: Underground 2 : Fun.
NFS: MW : Much Fun.
NFS: Carbon : Enjoyable, ranks a little under NFS:U2
NFS: ProStreet: skipped
NFS: Undercover : Dull waste of time... throw me a challenge here... I'm not used to getting 1st place on my first attempt most of the time.
NFS: Shift : Didn't like... supposedly there's something interesting if you tweak all the setting away from the completely stupid defaults (e.g. cars seem featherweight)
NFS: Hot Pursuit (2, 2010) Much Fun
NFS: Shift 2 : Backlog
NFS: The Run: Enjoyable, but hard to recommend. Quite pretty, but 30 FPS cap. Damn stupidest thing is the rare gas station method of switching cars... too rare, impossible/hard to know what kind of car (muscle/steet racer/exotic) to pick to handle the next several tracks/segments.. and switching cars sets you back a few seconds. Minor gripe: a few forced-in quick-time-events (in cutscenes, not in driving). Also annoying is the ability to replay by chapter, a string of ~5 segments.

Burnout Paradise: Fun/Enjoyable... I wish it was more challenging though. Pretty.
Burnout 3, 4, 5: Awesome... I liked the challenge of 3 the best.

Dirt : Backlog... need to boot to XP or check into fixes for Win7 compatability, supposedly good
Dirt 2: Excellent (And I hadn't been a fan of offroad racers.)
Dirt 3: Backlog /shame (though since good/decent racers are one-a-year at best I like to keep something in reserve)

GRID: Most Excellent, edges out Dirt 2. Much replayability. I wish they made a sequel/expanion (just give me more tracks/cars. I especially liked Nürburgring (the Bahrain track was memorable too).

Split Second: Much fun. The gimmick set-destruction is very very well integrated and mastery of is critical to getting 1st place. Unfortunately, I've played 2/3 though three times... my saves get horribly corrupted. (Despiite rolling back to prior saves: GoGo Dropbox restore w/Link Shell Extention -- I should post about that separately). I want to finish this sometime by not exiting it before completion.

Driver: SF : It's a car themed game, not a racer, imo. I didn't like it that much... though some of that is disappointment from expecting more of a racer. The shift mechanic is novel.

Blur: Backlog

Flatout 1/2/UC : Backlog

Midnight Club II: Played an hour... didn't grab me

I wish the burnouts and split second were on steam

23480.png