Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#11011 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Any of you guys been playing the War of the Roses Beta? Seems cool but I just get mobbed by polearms guys any time I spawn and I gave up quickly.

#11012 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

3. group voice chat

Steam does have group voice chat, though it is not super obvious how to get it working. In the chat window, you invite someone else to join the chat and the chat changes to a group chat. Then you choose Start Voice Chat, and you can talk to everyone in the group.

#11013 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Personally, the game hubs thing looks pretty meh. I want stuff that benefits library management and community group stuff.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#11014 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Steam does have group voice chat, though it is not super obvious how to get it working. In the chat window, you invite someone else to join the chat and the chat changes to a group chat. Then you choose Start Voice Chat, and you can talk to everyone in the group.

Thanks. I didn't realize that. My thing is I just want them to streamline/modernize existing features rather than adding more sharing features etc. The problem with voice chat in steam is ive pretty much avoided it because the quality was awful compared to other free alternatives like skype. There was tons of feedback/line noise/cut outs/ etc. Most of the time my friends and I just open up skype start a call and then play a game.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#11015 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Meh @ the daily deal today. I already have 2 out of 3 games, though, so I probably wouldn't have bought anyway, ha. I've been hoping to start Stacking soon, but it depends on how busy I get with moving this week, etc.

Weren't they cheaper during the summer sale as well? It seems like a lot of deals popping up now seem like repeats of summers deals. Like I could swear Kalypso games were in a bundle back like this past weekend sale as well during the sale.

I have to agree with your feelings on this. I'm deaf myself (as well as a woman) so I have gotten my fair share of creeps who are only into me because I'm deaf and they think they can be the "white knight in shining armor" for a "helpless" damsel such as me. Blech.

Isn't that just the worse, I am still not sure which group of men are worse the "Knights" or the guys who think because if a girl is different it means she has to be easy and be begging for any kind of attention.

Also now I wonder how many other gamers like us are on CAG, I am mute myself, I know back on Xbox I used to be in a group full of deaf gamers XDG I think they've changed their name now though.

I just want the ability to tag games with multiple categories.

Genius! I always hate how when I tag a game into the beaten category, I have to make sure I also remove the "Add to Favorite" category as well.

Personally, the game hubs thing looks pretty meh. I want stuff that benefits library management and community group stuff.

I guess game group basically saves you from clicking the forum button and opening up firefox? Really doesn't seem like a huge change either from my point of view.

Edited by Sophita, 13 August 2012 - 08:14 PM.

Posted Image

#11016 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hopefully one of these next couple updates is making the community pages not be so shitty.

#11017 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

The problem with both of these is that it corrupted as I was playing. As best as I can describe without spoiling anything I got up to the boss after wiping out the surrounding area, dying as I wiped out the last enemy. The boss never spawned. I went back to the main menu to reload the game and it said my save was corrupt. This is also a huge reason why we need more than just a single autosave allowed.

Several people having the same issue, including two getting it corrupted at the end (electrical is end). http://forums.steamp....php?p=31934984

In that case, it's pretty unfair to claim that GFWL corrupted your save. You don't know that it had anything to do with it.

#11018 Khamous

Khamous

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hell at this point I would settle for being able to leave messages for people when they are offline. I don't get why Steam doesn't have this. AOL had it in the 90s.

Agreed, it is a pita to not have it D:

fs_pc.png

#11019 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Let me know how much you enjoy it, it attualy does sound kind of fun. There isn't really to many date/life sims on the PC that are good quality. plus have a 1.50 credit on GmG

It finished downloading (680MBs) I'll give first impressions in a bit.

Also if you haven't check out Magical Diary on Steam I loved that game and will soon give it another play though. Basic run down of Magical Diary is imagine a Harry Potter type world with a life/date sim with many different storylines and things you can do but only so much time to alot during each play through kind of like Persona. So each play-though you end up finding out a new story and path that you can go down, finding out things about characters you didn't know before through previous play-through.

Oh thanks for that recommend. I added it to my wishlist and I see it has a demo too (PC&Mac, whoot =). I really liked that aspect of Persona 3 FES, only negative thing I felt about the game was maximizing a dungeoning night got a bit grindy (without a way to save/resume in dungeon), then again I did push my party far past tired. That reminds me, I should pickup Persona 4 while it's still easily available new.

I have to agree with your feelings on this. I'm deaf myself (as well as a woman) so I have gotten my fair share of creeps who are only into me because I'm deaf and they think they can be the "white knight in shining armor" for a "helpless" damsel such as me. Blech.

That reminds me, I stumbled across some interesting reviews that address: Precision, One-Handed, Deaf, Subtitles, & Colorblind on AbleGamers.com

There are sometimes legal torrents. I have seen some sites use them basically as free mirrors without having to worry about bandwidth. I seem to recall at least one of the indie bundles doing it but can't remember which off hand.

There are also times where, yeah I will say it, I've had to resort to a crack for a game I paid for because of obnoxious DRM. Like the time I was playing Dragon Age: Origins and and EA/Bioware's servers somehow forgot that I and many others owned all the DLC (I had it from the Ultimate Edition even) and I couldn't play any of my saves because they were saved with DLC.

Humble Bundle does torrents, a great way of handling peak demand traffic. Most linux distros, LibreOffice (successor/fork of OpenOfffice), some Android ROMs. Side note: I was impressed that torrent traffic didn't lag my Path of Exile experience, unlike WoW and other online worlds. (Which was really bad because WoW uses bit torrent for patching and pre-loading, and used to run it automatically during game play.)

In the physical media days, I used to hunt down no-CD cracks all the time because my laptop didn't have an optical drive / I hate be arsed physically swap media when switching games. Heck, I remember hex-editing Dune 2 on my 386 laptop to bypass the "check the manual for ... on page 29." (At least Civ 1, the manual checks were gameplay based and a player could learn to usually answer them correctly over time.) I'm sure others here remember encoder wheel licence checks in some 80s games.

I love steam but its interface still feels like the same steam I used back in 2003.

Rather different imho, it has lost that Fallout 3 green cast, and no longer looks like a supersized WinAmp 1.x/2.x knockoff.

#11020 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

quick question about sleeping dogs. if i couldn't run saints row 3 that good then, would sleeping dogs work pretty good for me or no.
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11021 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

I forgot to post this, can't find the original postings atm.

A couple free Visual Novels (w/English translations) are: Narcissu (ナルキッソス) (PC/Mac/Linux) and True Rememberance (PC).

#11022 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

These new features would be a great topic for the Steam discussion thread, but I understand that this one gets more traffic.

I get the cynicism some have about the types of features we might see, but that update they did recently to allow custom grid pictures in your library came out of left field. That one won't have much effect on Valve's bottom line.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#11023 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

quick question about sleeping dogs. if i couldn't run saints row 3 that good then, would sleeping dogs work pretty good for me or no.

There are some people with unusual performance problems in SR3. It runs just fine on my early 2009 midrange (AMD X3 720BE / Nvidia GTX 260). I would suggest picking another example (or list specs).

#11024 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

There are some people with unusual performance problems in SR3. It runs just fine on my early 2009 midrange (AMD X3 720BE / Nvidia GTX 260). I would suggest picking another example (or list specs).

heres my specs my laptop is about 1 year old and runs darksiders 1 really well and ran max payne 3 pretty good too.

AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics
1.5 GHz CPU Speed
3.5 GB Ram
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit OS
AMD Radeon™ HD 6620G
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11025 ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

Obsidian FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

It's kind of funny, but the Steam Mobile app is actually better in many ways for Steam usage. It has old message caches for Steam chat (also, can't you guys just leave comments on offline users' profiles if the message is not too embarrassing for the general public?), no extreme pauses when purchasing items, and it has that sweet install remotely to the computer currently connected to your account. I'm actually surprised by how much they packed into this app.

Anyway, back to deals. So I'm purchasing that Guns of Icarus Online 4-pack because it looks cool and the discount for a release title is pretty fricking massive. $8.75 compared to $32.99 shows me a company worth supporting on launch. It's riding that line so close to 75% that I can't help but buy, buy, buy. xD

jybOVvmATuEqX.png

Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! Join us in our quest or donate. :D LINK

Current Contest/Giveaway: 

Donate to Extra Life & win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies!

#11026 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Here's hoping for the sell back your games for pennies feature. I'd honestly pay a few cents to remove some of the games in my "dislike" category hehe
Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#11027 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

Oh thanks for that recommend. I added it to my wishlist and I see it has a demo too (PC&Mac, whoot =). I really liked that aspect of Persona 3 FES, only negative thing I felt about the game was maximizing a dungeoning night got a bit grindy (without a way to save/resume in dungeon), then again I did push my party far past tired. That reminds me, I should pickup Persona 4 while it's still easily available new.

There is "dungeons" but really more of like a puzzle using your magic skills to find a way out of the dungeon.

The main focus is just like the story aspect from Persona but amplifed and shorter to get through. The game took me around 2-3 hours I think to get through once and there is even a skip previous text if you want your next go's to be faster. But each NPC it seems has their own backstory plus there are multiple ways each NPC's backstory can go as well depending on your actions.

Plus it has the honors of being one of the very few games that surprised me with the writing and a twist I didn't see coming at all. :D and that is for just one of the available NPC's storylines.
Posted Image

#11028 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

And I'm buying High School Dreams too... yikes.

I actually saw this game (or something that looked exactly like it) on the PSP. It was $5 though, so I couldn't convince myself it was worth it. After the 20% code on GMG it comes out to $0.99, AND its trade in value is $0.50 so... >_>

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11029 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

also, can't you guys just leave comments on offline users' profiles if the message is not too embarrassing for the general public?

I don't want to do that Facebook style crap, I just want to leave a message. To someone's inbox. In private.

Yes, I am old school like that.

#11030 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Here's hoping for the sell back your games for pennies feature. I'd honestly pay a few cents to remove some of the games in my "dislike" category hehe

Oooh, forgot all about this. Yes, would love the ability to sell games, even if it was on the very very cheap.

#11031 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

And I'm buying High School Dreams too... yikes.

I actually saw this game (or something that looked exactly like it) on the PSP. It was $5 though, so I couldn't convince myself it was worth it. After the 20% code on GMG it comes out to $0.99, AND its trade in value is $0.50 so... >_>

Yeah, I think the only thing keeping me from it is my huge backlog and the fact that I know I'd never remember to actually download and play it. Still, it's.... intriguing.

#11032 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

That reminds me, I stumbled across some interesting reviews that address: Precision, One-Handed, Deaf, Subtitles, & Colorblind on AbleGamers.com

That's an interesting site! It's a less common occurrence today, but growing up, I used to get really pissed/disappointed when a game didn't have subtitles because that generally meant I wouldn't understand one damn thing about the storyline or even what I was supposed to do in the game.

One of the reasons I love Valve's games so much is that they pack their games full of subtitles - even including ambient noise (many games just have the dialogue subtitled). I really like the ambient noise subtitles because it gives me more of an idea of what kind of atmosphere I'm playing in - kind of like how hearing people can sometimes get really scared by horror movies because of all the noises going on in the background. Some people may think Valve can go a bit overboard with the subtitles, but I truly do appreciate them.

#11033 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

I love that site, its really well done and also they were behind this really well done article, how I found out about them myself,

http://www.gameinfor...e-audience.aspx

Basically talks about how everyone is really just temporarily able bodied, Due being only one accident,or illness, or even just natural age before they also have issues with current games.

Also here is another good article http://www.gameinfor...it-matters.aspx this one talking about the button mashing segments of recent likes like God of War and Uncharted.

That's an interesting site! It's a less common occurrence today, but growing up, I used to get really pissed/disappointed when a game didn't have subtitles because that generally meant I wouldn't understand one damn thing about the storyline or even what I was supposed to do in the game.

One of the worst things with the Kinect type future games as well. They totally ignore the fact that many people just can't make the gestures and voice commands they want.
Posted Image

#11034 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

There is "dungeons" but really more of like a puzzle using your magic skills to find a way out of the dungeon.

The main focus is just like the story aspect from Persona but amplifed and shorter to get through. The game took me around 2-3 hours I think to get through once and there is even a skip previous text if you want your next go's to be faster. But each NPC it seems has their own backstory plus there are multiple ways each NPC's backstory can go as well depending on your actions.

Plus it has the honors of being one of the very few games that surprised me with the writing and a twist I didn't see coming at all. :D and that is for just one of the available NPC's storylines.

This is why I didn't buy it during the summer sale. I like to keep my playtime/cost ratio to at least 1:1, and this game didn't look like it had 10 hours of playtime in it.

#11035 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

I don't even need to sell them back if I could just trash some of the games in my library I'd be more than happy.
Posted Image

#11036 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

This is why I didn't buy it during the summer sale. I like to keep my playtime/cost ratio to at least 1:1, and this game didn't look like it had 10 hours of playtime in it.

Well it does, like there is no main story, The only constant between games is the short little intro and then each day of the week you choose which magic class to go to or rather to study or sleep. This is most like a old game called Princess Maker.

The actual story depends on what choice you make, For example there is at least 3+ love interests. Each one of them is a story onto themselves, each roommate you have is a different story and then there a few other npc's that are also a different story.

The easiest way to explain this if you have no idea what I am talking about yet. Imagine Game of Thrones but instead of reading all the peoples stories throughout the book/show at the start you picked one and then read though it. So each "story" can be finished in 3 hours.

Just because you finished with Jon Snow's story there is still Arya's,Sanya, and Tyrion and Daenerys to read though. and while each one shares some of the same common set-up each one has a completely different story and feel.

Edited by Sophita, 13 August 2012 - 11:00 PM.

Posted Image

#11037 houdinilogic

houdinilogic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

I want that SO BADLY. Also, drag & drop capability!

:drool:

it's not THAT big of a deal, but for those occasions when the categories mysteriously disappear this would be fantastic.
Posted Image

#11038 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

Sleeping Dogs preload is now live, and the release has been bumped up to midnight Eastern time.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#11039 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

I'd like this because I've got more then a few sinkers, but also because it'd make steam gifts change their rules.

#11040 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Has there been a giveaway somewhere for the game Dynamite Jack?

I saw a thread on sg a couple days ago saying how the iOS version was on sale, and through that you could get a steam key.

Thanks, both of you. I had been wondering the same, but no one had an answer then.

Dynamite Jack is one of the games I bought in the Summer Sale and installed immediately. Have yet to play it, but the trailer made it look like something I would enjoy, and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

This isn't directed at you, just an aside about the Asian fantasy thing. In my mind it seems kind of creepy when a guy fetishes a woman just because of her race or primary status, like say because she is deaf or because she is white or blonde or anything. Attraction is a big part of finding a partner but just personally I would never want to be with someone who basically fetishes me as a person just because of one aspect.

Maybe this is just the more common thing men talk about, so it is more obvious and every man fetishizes about their own niche of women, but it has always just creeped me out when thinking about someone being with me only because they get off about one aspect of who I am.

I wanted to weigh in here. There is a difference between having a "fetish" for categorical definitions of people and, more benignly, someone recognizing that he finds certain elements to be attractive in others and acknowledging that this is typical (but not exclusive) to certain ethnicities.

I don't think it's right to use the concepts of having a "type" and having a "fetish" interchangeably. Someone can have a type, have that be what prompts them to get to know someone in the first place, and then fall in love (or not) through getting to know the real person.