Deauthorizing systems--hazards?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sorry for the confusing subject. I wasn't sure exactly what to write for it.

Long story short, I lost access to my PSN account for a while. I now have it back, and while my PS3 is still on it, activated, and works perfectly, there are also 4 or 5 PSPs on the account. One of them is likely my old one, but the others must have been put on by the people who stole my account via the Gawker Media hack.

Since I can't deactivate systems without connecting them to my PC, is it safe to use the deactivate all option, which will also deactivate my ps3, and then reactivate my ps3? Could this lead to any short- or long-term issues?

I want to buy a vita and add it to my account, but my account is full. I don't want to sit on the phone with support for two hours, can't deactivate systems I don't have, and don't want to cause ps3 problems. Is it okay to deactivate everything and reactivate my ps3? (psp doesn't matter)

You're my only hope, CAG! Thanks in advance.

#2 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Shouldn't cause an issue.

I know of someone who did that recently because of the changeover from 5 to 2 gameshare accounts. We had to reorganize the people on the share (I was person number 3 but needed to be 2 so I could get access to new games) and there wasn't any issue.

#3 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Yay ok. Seems easiest to just deauthorize everything and reauthorize my ps3. I won't need to redownload stuff or anything? I'm still a bit scared :)

#4 mguiddy

mguiddy

'nives 'n 'nades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

No, shouldn't have to download anything.

#5 htz

htz

CAGiversary 3.0!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yay ok. Seems easiest to just deauthorize everything and reauthorize my ps3. I won't need to redownload stuff or anything? I'm still a bit scared :)

You just deactivate all PS3s linked to your account on the website. Make sure your PS3 is off before you do it. Once its done turn back on your PS3, and reactivate it like normal through account management on the XMB. You don't need to redownload your content that is already on your PS3.

P.S. Make sure your account is secured because the deactivate all PS3 function on the website is only usable about every 6 months.

#6 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Thanks guys. I couldn't find info about this anywhere. I appreciate the help.

Yep I'm secure now. Just need to deauthorize the works and reauthorize my ps3, then my vita when I get it. :) my psp is just for umds, so I won't bother reauthorizing it.

Thanks again. Hope it goes well! I'll make sure it's off, deauthorize everything, then reauthorize from the xmb on the ps3 itself.

#7 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Glad this thread is here....I have a question for my fellow CAGs. If I deactivate all accounts....can other users/friends get my older items that I downloaded BEFORE the switch to 2 accounts?!? I am worried if I deactivate all (i have a dead system on my account) that my friends I shared older stuff with wont be able to redownload. *Hopefully this makes sense. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

#8 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

Sorry for the confusing subject. I wasn't sure exactly what to write for it.

Long story short, I lost access to my PSN account for a while. I now have it back, and while my PS3 is still on it, activated, and works perfectly, there are also 4 or 5 PSPs on the account. One of them is likely my old one, but the others must have been put on by the people who stole my account via the Gawker Media hack.

Since I can't deactivate systems without connecting them to my PC, is it safe to use the deactivate all option, which will also deactivate my ps3, and then reactivate my ps3? Could this lead to any short- or long-term issues?

I want to buy a vita and add it to my account, but my account is full. I don't want to sit on the phone with support for two hours, can't deactivate systems I don't have, and don't want to cause ps3 problems. Is it okay to deactivate everything and reactivate my ps3? (psp doesn't matter)

You're my only hope, CAG! Thanks in advance.

Why would you have to stay on the phone that long (I've read your other threads and encounters with Sony support), but seriously it took me literally 15 minutes (10 of which were being on hold when I called in the evening) to get a rep, she cleared off my 2 dead PS3's on there and my account was clean again.

Just be lucky you don't have international accounts that need activations removed, I have 3 that have 4 activations each on them, and not an easy way to deactivate the older systems that are long dead.

And you might have to call them anyway, since I wasn't able to remove the 2 dead PS3's from my account and HAD to call them to get it taken care of.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#9 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

Glad this thread is here....I have a question for my fellow CAGs. If I deactivate all accounts....can other users/friends get my older items that I downloaded BEFORE the switch to 2 accounts?!? I am worried if I deactivate all (i have a dead system on my account) that my friends I shared older stuff with wont be able to redownload. *Hopefully this makes sense. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Soon as you deactivate that system it should be dead, period, that account will be associated only with the system it is tied too.

In my case

#1 original launch 60Gb, YLOD (did not deactivate)
#2 nephews system (was removed by Sony, he had to reactivate it)
#2 refurb 60Gb, YLOD (did not deactivate)
#3 2nd refurb 60Gb, was deactivated when I got my 160Gb
#4 160Gb current system on my master account.

1 & 3 had to be taken care by Sony when I used up my Quoricity deactivate all a few months prior when I got the 1st refurb system.

So basically as long the main account (shared or otherwise) has the 5 share activations on it, you're fine, get them all deactivated and then go from there.

Those YLOD were a pain in my ass, my main concern now is my foreign accounts since I'm in the same issue, as above, I have one activation left for the older (5 share) games, and calling Sony tech support for my JPN and HK accounts might be a massive hassle (specially JPN account) if I can't get an english speaking rep. HK, I'm not as worried about, except the cost to call them and get it taken care of which I hope I never have to do.

Edit: My old 60gb that is deactivated has ALL of the games I downloaded (and still work as far as I could tell) when the system was removed in March of this year, so they should be good. However keep in mind that adding the master account and removing it, might have issues with certain games, but I am not an authority on this, and there probably is some instances where that might cause an issue, if there systems are still linked to the account yet it no longer contains the master account. Just something to keep in mind.

But you should be fine, if you follow my suggestions (long winded as they were) ;)
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#10 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

I've spent hours on the phone with them a few times over the years. :( I guess this is not nearly so complex a matter.

Anyway wanted to report that I cleared my account on the web site, then reactivated my ps3 on the xmb as you guys stated, and it went without a hitch. Woo!

International accounts: I've always been curious about this. If I had my ps3 or vita on my current account and brought them to England, would they still work on my US account? I just wouldn't have access to the UK store unless I made a UK PSN account right?

#11 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

well I understand once I deactivate all everything tied with my account is gone, but BEFORE that instituted the new rule of only two systems for download items....can I still authorize 5 different systems to play my older stuff or does that revert to TWO systems as well once I deactivate all systems? Am I making sense?!?

#12 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

I've spent hours on the phone with them a few times over the years. :( I guess this is not nearly so complex a matter.

Anyway wanted to report that I cleared my account on the web site, then reactivated my ps3 on the xmb as you guys stated, and it went without a hitch. Woo!

International accounts: I've always been curious about this. If I had my ps3 or vita on my current account and brought them to England, would they still work on my US account? I just wouldn't have access to the UK store unless I made a UK PSN account right?

You'd have to ask over at the PSP/Vita section, those guys would know more, I know it's a bit more complicated that doing it on the PSP, which is nothing more than hooking up the PSP to the PS3 and copying (& authorizing the games to work with the region they are for, so I want to use a US game, I need to make sure my PSP is set to US activation, I want to play a JPN game same deal) it's a bit of a hassle, but I make sure I keep small dlc content on my PS3 to make it pretty easy.

Thankfully UMD's are hassle free.

well I understand once I deactivate all everything tied with my account is gone, but BEFORE that instituted the new rule of only two systems for download items....can I still authorize 5 different systems to play my older stuff or does that revert to TWO systems as well once I deactivate all systems? Am I making sense?!?

Everything before 18 November, 2011 will be able to be activated in 5 systems everything after that only TWO.

I had three systems (I think) tied to my account when I got the new one and I don't remember having any issues, someone else might know better, as I mostly did a 1-to-1 transfer of the data from one system to the other, and don't remember if I d/l'ed new stuff after that on both systems or not.

BUT, it shouldn't have changed if its for content before that date. Maybe someone here with more than 2 systems can clarify that.

#13 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

You'd have to ask over at the PSP/Vita section, those guys would know more, I know it's a bit more complicated that doing it on the PSP, which is nothing more than hooking up the PSP to the PS3 and copying (& authorizing the games to work with the region they are for, so I want to use a US game, I need to make sure my PSP is set to US activation, I want to play a JPN game same deal) it's a bit of a hassle, but I make sure I keep small dlc content on my PS3 to make it pretty easy.

Thankfully UMD's are hassle free.

Everything before 18 November, 2011 will be able to be activated in 5 systems everything after that only TWO.

I had three systems (I think) tied to my account when I got the new one and I don't remember having any issues, someone else might know better, as I mostly did a 1-to-1 transfer of the data from one system to the other, and don't remember if I d/l'ed new stuff after that on both systems or not.

BUT, it shouldn't have changed if its for content before that date. Maybe someone here with more than 2 systems can clarify that.

Gotcha. Thanks for being so helpful. It would be great if someone new because I am a bit scared to do it if stuff before November 2011 wont work on more than 2 systems.