CAGcast #291: Patch This!

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

first off Shipwreck is entitled to his opinion and I agree with Shipwrecks criticism of the "critics"

But Tony Hawk PS HD is terrible. It's is so floaty and hard to control and weird UI issue (like the use of RB). I went back and played Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X ; it is so much better and better control.

#32 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

I block all Xbox Live Dashboard ads.

Here's how:

Add a network for your current IP address.

Go to Advanced Settings and next to 'Domain Typos', check the box 'Enable typo correction' if it's not already checked and apply.

Got to Web Content Filtering settings and set the filtering level to 'None', and under 'Manage individual domains', put rad.msn.com and msnvidweb.vo.msecnd.net on separate lines then select 'Always block' and then click 'Add domain'.

On your Xbox, go to System Settings -> Network Settings -> (your connection) -> Configure Network -> DNS settings -> Manual, and enter the OpenDNS IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

You may need to clear your hard drive cache before ads disappear entirely: System Settings -> Storage -> Hard Drive -> press Y -> Clear System Cache (note that you'll have to re-download any title updates for any games you play after doing this).

You can also do it easily through your own router very similarly.

#33 Kostka

Kostka

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Fun Fact: I once went into that American Girl store in order to get directions to Nintendo World. So it's almost like me and Wombat have kissed.
"So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well." - Shigeru Miyamoto

#34 wonboodoo

wonboodoo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Regarding Phil Fish (Fez developer) "owing Microsoft". I think publishers pay developers a lump sum up front and initially retain all the revenues from sales (the developer gets nothing initially) until the number of sales crosses a threshold, after which both the publisher and developer share the royalties at whatever rate their contract stipulates. So if the game doesn't sell enough the developer may receive no royalties but will have been paid that initial lump sum. Fez may not have crossed that threshold so Phil may "owe" Microsoft in the sense that he's not seeing any new money come in until Microsoft gets paid enough from sales. He's probably annoyed that Microsoft wants XBox exclusivity and in doing so he's prevented from seeing any royalties because it didn't do as well as expected on XBox so he's hoping that Steam sales help him cross that publisher-owed threshold.

Disclaimer: Pure speculation. I don't know Phil Fish's situation, how well Fez did, nor do I work in the game industry. I just remember discussions of publisher-developer contractual relationships following the 38-studios debacle.

Edited by wonboodoo, 20 July 2012 - 06:31 PM.
Added the disclaimer

#35 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

first off Shipwreck is entitled to his opinion and I agree with Shipwrecks criticism of the "critics"

But Tony Hawk PS HD is terrible. It's is so floaty and hard to control and weird UI issue (like the use of RB). I went back and played Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X ; it is so much better and better control.

Honest question: What are you having problems controlling in Tony Hawk HD? I've seen that complaint come up, but haven't understood exactly what the issue is. I sincerely don't have any issues with controlling this game so I'm perplexed and would appreciate if someone could elaborate. I'll pop in THPS 2X this weekend to compare, but THPS HD feels nice to me.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#36 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Fun Fact: I once went into that American Girl store in order to get directions to Nintendo World. So it's almost like me and Wombat have kissed.

You may need to see a Dr. unless you have had a cootie shot in the last 6 months.

#37 Cheshire Wolf

Cheshire Wolf

CAG BALLER!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

You may need to see a Dr. unless you have had a cootie shot in the last 6 months.

And cootie is code for AIDS
Can a young Fuck get money anymore? - Kanye West

#38 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

And cootie is code for AIDS

and "AIDS shot" is code for rainbow anal sex.

I'm guessing there's a lot of foot tapping in the bathroom stalls at the American Girl store.

#39 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

I know you tested Skype for the TwitchTV thing, but have you tried Google Hangout?
:-#

#40 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Honest question: What are you having problems controlling in Tony Hawk HD? I've seen that complaint come up, but haven't understood exactly what the issue is. I sincerely don't have any issues with controlling this game so I'm perplexed and would appreciate if someone could elaborate. I'll pop in THPS 2X this weekend to compare, but THPS HD feels nice to me.

Here are the issues

1.) it appears the view is just pulled back slightly farther than I am used to. So judging landings are harder.
2.) I am convinced that "spinning" is slower. I just checked vs. THPS 2X. With the same stats, I can almost every time land a 540 over the main gap in Mullet Falls, in THPS HD, I couldn't- not even once.
3.) You hit a wall you go floating up in the sky.

I can "control" it but it feels different than I am used to. Then again, I still play 1,2 & 3 pretty regularly.

p.s. Holy crap that is a large car. Most parking spaces are 18'. You are going to have to find RV parking

Edited by usickenme, 20 July 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#41 Greencapt

Greencapt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Just finished this episode- good show as usual.

Cheapy- regarding the split between itunes downloads & iphone downloads doesn't the new Apple podcast app not only allow subscribing directly (unlike itunes app) and moreso doesn't it directly fetch new episodes? I tried that app and it was all wonky with desktop itunes so I deleted it but that seemed to be how it worked. I assume that affects usage statistics.

#42 jbug617

jbug617

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Cheapy at E3 when they showed the dashboard it looked like they moved the game tab to the 3rd slot now.

#43 sheppyboy2000

sheppyboy2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Also want to chime in on the local business Vs Amazon issue for a moment. I'm a big local business kind of guy and personally feel the trend of "showrooming" is genuinely a s***** thing you, as a consumer, can do. Having said that, I'm also tired of these chain stores complaining to congress about how Amazon is totally unfair.

Allow me to explain a recent three strikes in three days for Best Buy. On a Saturday, got bored, decided to try and hunt up a copy of Tales of the Abyss. They didn't carry it but the next day, they ran a B2G1 on games $29.99 and up and I thought I would snag 2 copies of Pokemon Conquest (one for myself, one for my mom who has a 260+ hour DQIX save file... yeah) and TheatRhythm. Once again, didn't have it. Target wouldn't price match but definitely had the better selection so I snagged the FF game there and buggered off on Pokemon. The next day, Uncharted 3 CE's went on clearance on the website and so after beginning the long and annoying task of setting up an account, even picking out which store I'm near, I try to check out. Can't. Shipping is unavailable and advertised on a banner as free. No store within 200 miles has copies. Instead, I spent 20 minutes setting up an account to be refused a sale and I still receive emails once every 2-3 days noticing that game is in my cart and if I needed help completing my purchase. Across the span of 3 days, this was $140+ of sales they managed to screw up on and as such, missed out. I readily acknowledge I could have "tried harder" to be a better consumer but godDAMNit, if I can't buy a recent game at Best Buy, what good are they? Should also be noted that they didn't have copies of Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3, or even the vita version of Lego Batman 2... and not sold out, just never stocked.

Tuesday, I went on another adventure. I'm entering a game design contest surrounding Steampunk and I cannot draw steampunk to save my life. So I thought, "Hey, reference books and easy money for my local bookstore." No go. They had books on cartoon animals, furries, dragons, vampires, mechs, etc, but no Steampunk reference art books. Try Pages for all Ages, same thing. Try Barnes and Noble, once again, same thing. Check Amazon, over 60 different unique returns and a purchase was made.

Now I love supporting local business as my local game store, Armored Gopher, can tell you (500+ board games, most bought locally). It's not that the chain stores crying to congress can't compete with Amazon, they don't WANT to compete. It's a hell of a lot easier to play the victim rather than address the issue. My local Target has a game department roughly 20% the size of Best Buys yet has a much better selection. How is that even possible? If the chain stores want to compete with Amazon, I'm all for it. They just have to step up and actually compete.

Edited by sheppyboy2000, 20 July 2012 - 11:17 PM.
Shaq Fu'n filter didn't work.

#44 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

Show Notes

1:45 Shipwreck's boat
7:00 Wombat's adventures buying dolls
12:15 Indie Game: The Movie
14:00 Fez patch and MS fees
22:15 Transformers: Dark of the Moon
23:30 Show Feedback
27:45 New Releases
27:45 Tony Hawk HD
34:45 Dyad
36:15 Heroes of Ruin
36:00 ME3: Earth DLC
37:00 Shopping News
37:00 Cag Pax Panel is a no go
40:00 Heaven and Mel
42:00 Blacklight:Retribution (PC, not the Kinect game)
45:00 Steam Sale stuff
47:45 Andrea Superbeam Cans
50:15 Battlefield 4 demo
53:30 Political Correctness in videogames
58:00 Activision needs a buyer
60:00 Xbox dashboard advertising
69:00 Vita Foosball
71:00 Cagbag
71:15 Halo 4 Limited Xbox
74:00 Amazon sales tax
77:00 What are the chances of Steam being sold?
80:00 Win 7

The Cagcast earlier in the week would be awesome.

#45 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

My big gripe with Tony Hawk is the skimpy amount of content. It should have most, if not all, of the levels from 1 & 2. As it is, it's like less than one of the games. And the music situation sucks. A fraction of the original tunes + a few crappy new ones. I don't have 2X to compare to for the gameplay though, which sucks. I thought I had it. :( I guess I couldn't justify buying it when the Dreamcast versions were still awesome.

It's fun, but they definitely gave us the bare minimum.

#46 metallicoholic

metallicoholic

Metal 'Til I'm 60

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:16 AM

Transformers: Dark of the Moon is the kind of movie you watch all the way through because you can't understand how any of it got made. If the guys on How Did This Get Made? haven't torn this one apart yet, they need to.

So I can officially tolerate Build-A-Bear just a little bit more after hearing that American Dolls story.
Posted Image

#47 SoxFan13

SoxFan13

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hey guys, fun as always. I hate to disagree with Wombat 'cause he's awesome, but I feel like he's picking apart that PAR article unfairly. In regards to the picture in the article, yeah, there are $'s over things that are not paid ads, but they DO make Microssoft money, no? He even said that they probably make a ton on the other content/sales (ex: Breaking Bad 50% off).

As a consumer, I don't care if the "ads" are paid, or "promotions" from Microsoft. Either way, they are cumbersome, and in the way of actually playing and buying the games I want.

The other major point of the aricle is that we are paying $50-60 a year to see THIS on our dashboard? Hey, the PS3 may make me update every time I log in, but the ads are reasonable, and easily dismissed. The mess that is the Xbox dash is a problem, and I think we can all agree on that.

#48 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

As a consumer, I don't care if the "ads" are paid, or "promotions" from Microsoft. Either way, they are cumbersome, and in the way of actually playing and buying the games I want.

The other major point of the aricle is that we are paying $50-60 a year to see THIS on our dashboard? Hey, the PS3 may make me update every time I log in, but the ads are reasonable, and easily dismissed. The mess that is the Xbox dash is a problem, and I think we can all agree on that.

My thoughts exactly.

As for paying for LIVE and we still see ads...didn't PennyArcade JUST have a kickstarter to AVOID ads? Yeah, think about that microsoft.

CheapyD, summer vacation just started on mid July? Ouch, poor kid! Tell me he goes back to school in mid October then?

#49 S0LIDARITY

S0LIDARITY

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

I like having the CAGcast come out on Friday. It feels like a real signal that the work week is wrapping up. I would still listen to and download the CAGcast regardless of what day it is released. It's my favorite podcast, I'll make time for it no matter what day of the week it comes out.

#50 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

I don't know if I'm more surprised by Wombat's distaste of Batman Beyond, or that he was unaware that the series had a following. You'd think that if the show had the creators of Batman: The Animated Series involved he'd be more receptive to it. I haven't followed comics lately, but there was a recent series published of that character, and there was a usable Batman Beyond costume in Batman: Arkham City, so it's not like it's some obscure spinoff no one knows about.

#51 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

I know you tested Skype for the TwitchTV thing, but have you tried Google Hangout?

I suggested this when they were live streaming but Cheapy said he prefers to pay for services others offer for free.

Man you people are cheap.

#52 shinryuu

shinryuu

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

I suggested this when they were live streaming but Cheapy said he prefers to pay for services others offer for free.

Aw. I still think he should at least try Google Hangouts. I like it better than Skype for webcamming (especially for 2+ ppl since I don't have Skype premium) and it has really useful features like sharing YouTube videos, screencap of desktop, and Google Docs that I think would benefit a livecast. I think it also has a feature to save and upload the conference to YouTube. Also works with iPads/iPhones.

To each his own. =p
:-#

#53 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

Cheapy, you should absolutely advertise on the Xbox Dashboard! You can finally give away those CAG gamer pics you talked about years ago. And how cool would it be to get a horde of gamers to put a CAG tshirt on their avatar?

#54 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

New CAGcast woo!!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#55 actripxl

actripxl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

On the Amazon thing: I shop big ticket items on it because I don't pay tax, take that away and I have no incentive to shop from Amazon again. Sure I'll still purchase that one day a year known as Black Friday to avoid the lines, but the other 364 days will never see Amazon pop up on my browser unless they have CRAZY deals, which hasn't happened in a while.

Offensive just for the sake of being of offensive is bad, but political correctness is far worse. People can't say ANYTHING without the fear of retribution and Wombat is a result of this propaganda. I've listened to the CAG cast for quite sometime now and Wombat is always the one to pull the "sensitive' side of things. This wouldn't be a problem if these cases were handled like LOGICAL adults should, but the PC propagandists demonize anything that may hurt someones feelings.

51446.png

Can't wait for the next Uncharted and Halo on my next-gen systems!

#56 Joda84

Joda84

EXTERMINATE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

I don't know if I'm more surprised by Wombat's distaste of Batman Beyond, or that he was unaware that the series had a following. You'd think that if the show had the creators of Batman: The Animated Series involved he'd be more receptive to it. I haven't followed comics lately, but there was a recent series published of that character, and there was a usable Batman Beyond costume in Batman: Arkham City, so it's not like it's some obscure spinoff no one knows about.

Yeah... Beyond has more fans than 2099.

#57 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

In regards to the paying for patch issue, also look at Double Fine. Brutal Legend has a serious issue that needs patching and EA won't pay for it and Double Fine couldn't afford it. Maybe now they can if they have extra Kickstarter money.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#58 tcv

tcv

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Cheapy- regarding the split between itunes downloads & iphone downloads doesn't the new Apple podcast app not only allow subscribing directly (unlike itunes app) and moreso doesn't it directly fetch new episodes? I tried that app and it was all wonky with desktop itunes so I deleted it but that seemed to be how it worked. I assume that affects usage statistics.

Yes, the new Apple Podcasts app does exactly this. I can't speak for everyone else, but managing podcasts with iTunes is clunky. I had a 3GS some time back and used iTunes to manage my podcast subscriptions. It wasn't until I went to Android that I discovered the ease of direct download/subscribing. Now, with an iPhone 4S I use Downcast.

As far as the "split" goes, I think that this is going to continue. It's just so much easier to avoid doing this in iTunes now. Apple apparently knows it, too, since they've just released the Podcasts app.

Oh, and the Podcast app is terribly buggy. I'm sure it'll get better but many people have reported it becomes unresponsive way often. I've experienced that many times myself. I got frustrated enough that I don't use it anymore. Also some people seem to have lost their heads over the "skeuomorphic" design. I like it, but eh, whatever...

#59 Jasper Kazai

Jasper Kazai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:49 AM

(Disclaimer: I don't really know shit about the Batman universe. I've only really seen The Dark Knight (1) as I post this.)
OMG, how can you guys not like Batman Beyond?! As I said, I don't really know much about Batman, but I watched that cartoon a lot. I recently started to play Arkham City, and I bought the skin pack (waste of money, I know) just for the Beyond skin. And now if I switch to another skin, it just seems silly to have a cape. The Beyond skin is so awesome.

As for ME3 MP... I still haven't played ME3, but I played the "demo" MP a lot. And not too long ago, I saw some Tweet about ME3 MP, and a lot of people were talking about it. They were very elitist, and were talking about how they kick anyone who doesn't have a certain alien race skin/model unlocked because it meant they were noobs. So, be prepared to get kicked a lot if you're a low level, I guess? Seemed pretty douchey.

#60 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

Cheapy you saved me the trouble of recommending you Blacklight Retribution. Anybody else play? Please add me: Roxaschan try my cag username if not.

I'd be okay with Amazon being all over the fucking place if it means that the Bestbuy business model disappears.

I block all Xbox Live Dashboard ads...

holy shit, nice. I'd do it if I paid for xbox live.