CAGcast #291: Patch This!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The gang talks Tony Hawk HD, Xbox Live advertising, Fez patching, political correctness in games, pimpmobiles, and much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]200[/podcast]
Download - 1 hour 22 minutes, 49MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Get your free audiobook at Audible![/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Easy Lover Remix by John Dillinger / Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Ad

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good show. That's all. BTW did you hear Peter Weller is going to play Batman in the animated version of Dark Knight Returns.

Glad to hear Shipwreck bought those Steam games with the anime girls. Start with Recettear, definitely the best of the three. It's a slow start but once you get into a dungeon the game is fantastic.

I have to agree, @Shipwreck I'm glad you picked up Recettear. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the game myself, but I ended up having a blast with it. Also glad to hear you might be doing some streaming!

Did you guys realize that when a Steam game goes on sale, usually the whole franchise goes on sale with it? @CheapyD, you could have just picked up Sins Trinity for $5 instead of starting with Rebellion.

One last thing. I recently had my wisdom teeth removed and all I remember doing is playing Wizorb and taking copious amounts of pills. The medication might have amplified the game a little, but I had a good amount of fun with it, so I appreciate you pointing it out.

I am glad to hear someone else doesn't get American Girl dolls. I live in Atlanta and we have one of the few American Girl stores here. My daughter has two (she used birthday and Christmas money to buy them). They look like $20 dolls you can buy from Target.

Be careful Wombat. All of my daughter's friends have American Girl dolls and there is a mini arms race going on to see who can get the best outfits. Don't let Sabrina succumb to peer pressure or you will be broke!

BTW - People were bitching about Battlefield 4 because Battlefield 3 Premium just came out. They feel that EA is going to abandon support for BF3. Still seems silly since the beta for BF4 is scheduled for Fall 2013 which means the full game will not be out until either late 2013 or sometime in 2014 at the earliest. There are still unreleased maps for BF3, so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I'm glad Wombat talked about that Penny Arcade Report article. He often has something interesting to add considering his job.

Good 'cast.

There is no Dyad demo for people to try before they buy yet, even though when you purchase the game you download the "Dyad Demo" and an unlock key.

I've done the first set of levels and I really like it, but some of the trophy levels are extremely frustrating.

[quote name='Curufinwe']There is no Dyad demo for people to try before they buy yet, even though when you purchase the game you download the "Dyad Demo" and an unlock key.

I've done the first set of levels and I really like it, but some of the trophy levels are extremely frustrating.[/QUOTE]

So I was right! Somebody write that down!

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Shipwreck, you should have the local automobile club take a look at your Deville and pimp it out.[/QUOTE]

As soon as Shipwreck gets in the car, it automatically becomes pimped out.

I thought most of the outrage of the BF4 beta was that it was already announced and BF3 just came out a year ago.

I don't know really see why people are that upset. I assumed, which has now been confirmed, the game won't be coming out until Q4 2013.

I don't think Destructoid's problems were that they wanted it to be different, but wanted features that were obviously left out. He seemed to think that it just felt like a barebones, "what we have to put in" game.
Things left out:

Unable to change music track that is currently playing.
No create-a-skater
No create-a-park
Absolutely no splitscreen or local multiplayer. (I played a lot of Tony Hawk splitscreen with friends.)
No movelist while playing.

All these little things added up for him. I personally won't be buying it. However, I would have loved it to be good. I think I will go dust off THPS2 or 3.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I don't think Destructoid's problems were that they wanted it to be different, but wanted features that were obviously left out. He seemed to think that it just felt like a barebones, "what we have to put in" game.
Things left out:

Unable to change music track that is currently playing.
No create-a-skater
No create-a-park
Absolutely no splitscreen or local multiplayer. (I played a lot of Tony Hawk splitscreen with friends.)
No movelist while playing.

All these little things added up for him. I personally won't be buying it. However, I would have loved it to be good. I think I will go dust off THPS2 or 3.[/QUOTE]

Those are very trivial complaints to me. The game is played in two-minute intervals, so it's not like looking at the menu outside of a session is too absurd. I haven't tried it but I'm assuming custom soundtracks are supported if you really need to skip a music track. I'm never going to play split screen Tony Hawk so that's not an issue for me. It makes much more sense to concentrate on online play in 2012. I just don't see those complaints adding up to a 4 out of 10. Especially since he didn't even mention new stuff that they added like Projectives.

The only problem with THPS is that half the soundtrack is there. And not having split-screen kinds sucks, but that shouldn't deter anyone from buying it. Especially if they've never played it before.

I'm going to have to side with MS with this one and will probably get flamed for it but whatever.

I think if you have been working on a game for so many months that your game should be ready to play. Years ago when you released a game It had to be 100% playable without any glitches of any sort, so why should companies get a free pass now? One patch should be plenty for all game developers.

The only exception should be MMOs or free to play large online games like Test Drive Unlimited or Forza Horizon, because those are constantly getting new online content.

While a part of me agrees with Wombat that offensive just for the point of offensive is a bad thing. Likewise, political correctness as well as the childish backlash against it is also annoying but there is no denying that the Tomb Raider kerfuffle has had an impact on the new God of War. Possibly to the huge detriment of the actual franchise.

In a recent interview, Santa Monica Studios has stated that they've reduced the violence against women in the upcoming God of War game because Kratos isn't like that, or some such nonsense. This is despite the first two games featuring beasts that were very much identifiable as females. Harpies, Medusas, Sirens, etc. Of course they are just monsters and as such, we don't care for them but going beyond that, Ascension is telling the story where Kratos breaks free from the influence of Ares, right?

And why? Because, as his tool of violence, Kratos was a general that killed indiscriminately. His story admitted that, even once the warriors were done, women and children would fall beneath his blade. This was also fairly common war practice in the greek myths. After all, without the blind rage guiding his blades, how could he have been tricked into killing his wife and child? A very pivotal moment in the characters development, and a crime so severe the Gods, as punishment, bound him in the ashes of his slain family.

But more than that, isn't this entire notion extremely sexist? "Look, this furry dude has a penis so it's 100% acceptable to slice off his clawed arm and lodge it up his nassal cavity until the dismembered hand holds the glistening brain aloft as a grisly trophy. Chances are VERY good he deserved it. This Medusa though? Catch her in a giant cup and left her go in the backyard." I'm pretty sure, as Kratos guided the massive murderous hordes of Sparta against Athens, every soldier took a few seconds to do a penis check. Because, naturally, when you are portraying a horrible, guiltless, murderous, slaughtering machine like Kratos, there are LINES you just don't cross...

[quote name='zerocool397']I thought most of the outrage of the BF4 beta was that it was already announced and BF3 just came out a year ago.

I don't know really see why people are that upset. I assumed, which has now been confirmed, the game won't be coming out until Q4 2013.[/QUOTE]
The outrage was because it was EA. Not Nintendo, Activision, THQ, Sony, Microsoft, Capcom... nope, it was EA. Thus it is the most evil thing ever.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm going to have to side with MS with this one and will probably get flamed for it but whatever.

I think if you have been working on a game for so many months that your game should be ready to play. Years ago when you released a game It had to be 100% playable without any glitches of any sort, so why should companies get a free pass now? One patch should be plenty for all game developers.

The only exception should be MMOs or free to play large online games like Test Drive Unlimited or Forza Horizon, because those are constantly getting new online content.[/QUOTE]

Ya, but it seems like very few devs can accomplish this today and placing a huge pay wall is the double edge sword for smaller indie devs.

Has or is MS going to pull Fez off XBLA because I see little incentive for him to fix the problem. Most gamers don't read gaming media, so they won't hear about the bug and if it is only happening to a small percentage. Not saying it is right, but I can see why he is doing what he is doing.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm going to have to side with MS with this one and will probably get flamed for it but whatever.

The only exception should be MMOs or free to play large online games like Test Drive Unlimited or Forza Horizon, because those are constantly getting new online content.[/QUOTE]

Also, this is a false concept. There is a very long list of games that simply ship with bugs because they weren't caught in testing. Sometimes we call these sploits, sometimes they're called glitches. There was no magical era where games were 100% playable without any glitches. Moreover, games have become considerably more advanced. As such, a significantly larger amount of bughunting now occurs and nothing can truly be considered 100% glitch free. After all, Skyrim on PS3 introduced a glitch where going in the water, THE WATER, hard crashes the game. Not to mention your 360 has had about 9 motherboard revisions alone which, can make drastically different glitches for different systems. As an example, PS3's launch units occassionally have hardware which causes unforseen issues, namely the micro PS2 in the hardware.

Besides, the bandwidth to patch software, isn't that why you pay for Xbox Live Gold? The certification? Well, it can't be that good considering they constantly greenlight patches which dramatically break games.

first off Shipwreck is entitled to his opinion and I agree with Shipwrecks criticism of the "critics"

But Tony Hawk PS HD is terrible. It's is so floaty and hard to control and weird UI issue (like the use of RB). I went back and played Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X ; it is so much better and better control.

I block all Xbox Live Dashboard ads.

Here's how:

Add a network for your current IP address.

Go to Advanced Settings and next to 'Domain Typos', check the box 'Enable typo correction' if it's not already checked and apply.

Got to Web Content Filtering settings and set the filtering level to 'None', and under 'Manage individual domains', put rad.msn.com and msnvidweb.vo.msecnd.net on separate lines then select 'Always block' and then click 'Add domain'.

On your Xbox, go to System Settings -> Network Settings -> (your connection) -> Configure Network -> DNS settings -> Manual, and enter the OpenDNS IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

You may need to clear your hard drive cache before ads disappear entirely: System Settings -> Storage -> Hard Drive -> press Y -> Clear System Cache (note that you'll have to re-download any title updates for any games you play after doing this).

You can also do it easily through your own router very similarly.

Fun Fact: I once went into that American Girl store in order to get directions to Nintendo World. So it's almost like me and Wombat have kissed.

Regarding Phil Fish (Fez developer) "owing Microsoft". I think publishers pay developers a lump sum up front and initially retain all the revenues from sales (the developer gets nothing initially) until the number of sales crosses a threshold, after which both the publisher and developer share the royalties at whatever rate their contract stipulates. So if the game doesn't sell enough the developer may receive no royalties but will have been paid that initial lump sum. Fez may not have crossed that threshold so Phil may "owe" Microsoft in the sense that he's not seeing any new money come in until Microsoft gets paid enough from sales. He's probably annoyed that Microsoft wants XBox exclusivity and in doing so he's prevented from seeing any royalties because it didn't do as well as expected on XBox so he's hoping that Steam sales help him cross that publisher-owed threshold.

Disclaimer: Pure speculation. I don't know Phil Fish's situation, how well Fez did, nor do I work in the game industry. I just remember discussions of publisher-developer contractual relationships following the 38-studios debacle.

[quote name='usickenme']first off Shipwreck is entitled to his opinion and I agree with Shipwrecks criticism of the "critics"

But Tony Hawk PS HD is terrible. It's is so floaty and hard to control and weird UI issue (like the use of RB). I went back and played Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X ; it is so much better and better control.[/QUOTE]

Honest question: What are you having problems controlling in Tony Hawk HD? I've seen that complaint come up, but haven't understood exactly what the issue is. I sincerely don't have any issues with controlling this game so I'm perplexed and would appreciate if someone could elaborate. I'll pop in THPS 2X this weekend to compare, but THPS HD feels nice to me.

[quote name='Kostka']Fun Fact: I once went into that American Girl store in order to get directions to Nintendo World. So it's almost like me and Wombat have kissed.[/QUOTE]

You may need to see a Dr. unless you have had a cootie shot in the last 6 months.

[quote name='Wombat']You may need to see a Dr. unless you have had a cootie shot in the last 6 months.[/QUOTE]

And cootie is code for AIDS

[quote name='Cheshire Wolf']And cootie is code for AIDS[/QUOTE]

and "AIDS shot" is code for rainbow anal sex.

I'm guessing there's a lot of foot tapping in the bathroom stalls at the American Girl store.

[quote name='shipwreck']Honest question: What are you having problems controlling in Tony Hawk HD? I've seen that complaint come up, but haven't understood exactly what the issue is. I sincerely don't have any issues with controlling this game so I'm perplexed and would appreciate if someone could elaborate. I'll pop in THPS 2X this weekend to compare, but THPS HD feels nice to me.[/QUOTE]

Here are the issues

1.) it appears the view is just pulled back slightly farther than I am used to. So judging landings are harder.
2.) I am convinced that "spinning" is slower. I just checked vs. THPS 2X. With the same stats, I can almost every time land a 540 over the main gap in Mullet Falls, in THPS HD, I couldn't- not even once.
3.) You hit a wall you go floating up in the sky.

I can "control" it but it feels different than I am used to. Then again, I still play 1,2 & 3 pretty regularly.

p.s. Holy crap that is a large car. Most parking spaces are 18'. You are going to have to find RV parking

Just finished this episode- good show as usual.

Cheapy- regarding the split between itunes downloads & iphone downloads doesn't the new Apple podcast app not only allow subscribing directly (unlike itunes app) and moreso doesn't it directly fetch new episodes? I tried that app and it was all wonky with desktop itunes so I deleted it but that seemed to be how it worked. I assume that affects usage statistics.

Cheapy at E3 when they showed the dashboard it looked like they moved the game tab to the 3rd slot now.

Also want to chime in on the local business Vs Amazon issue for a moment. I'm a big local business kind of guy and personally feel the trend of "showrooming" is genuinely a s***** thing you, as a consumer, can do. Having said that, I'm also tired of these chain stores complaining to congress about how Amazon is totally unfair.

Allow me to explain a recent three strikes in three days for Best Buy. On a Saturday, got bored, decided to try and hunt up a copy of Tales of the Abyss. They didn't carry it but the next day, they ran a B2G1 on games $29.99 and up and I thought I would snag 2 copies of Pokemon Conquest (one for myself, one for my mom who has a 260+ hour DQIX save file... yeah) and TheatRhythm. Once again, didn't have it. Target wouldn't price match but definitely had the better selection so I snagged the FF game there and buggered off on Pokemon. The next day, Uncharted 3 CE's went on clearance on the website and so after beginning the long and annoying task of setting up an account, even picking out which store I'm near, I try to check out. Can't. Shipping is unavailable and advertised on a banner as free. No store within 200 miles has copies. Instead, I spent 20 minutes setting up an account to be refused a sale and I still receive emails once every 2-3 days noticing that game is in my cart and if I needed help completing my purchase. Across the span of 3 days, this was $140+ of sales they managed to screw up on and as such, missed out. I readily acknowledge I could have "tried harder" to be a better consumer but godDAMNit, if I can't buy a recent game at Best Buy, what good are they? Should also be noted that they didn't have copies of Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3, or even the vita version of Lego Batman 2... and not sold out, just never stocked.

Tuesday, I went on another adventure. I'm entering a game design contest surrounding Steampunk and I cannot draw steampunk to save my life. So I thought, "Hey, reference books and easy money for my local bookstore." No go. They had books on cartoon animals, furries, dragons, vampires, mechs, etc, but no Steampunk reference art books. Try Pages for all Ages, same thing. Try Barnes and Noble, once again, same thing. Check Amazon, over 60 different unique returns and a purchase was made.

Now I love supporting local business as my local game store, Armored Gopher, can tell you (500+ board games, most bought locally). It's not that the chain stores crying to congress can't compete with Amazon, they don't WANT to compete. It's a hell of a lot easier to play the victim rather than address the issue. My local Target has a game department roughly 20% the size of Best Buys yet has a much better selection. How is that even possible? If the chain stores want to compete with Amazon, I'm all for it. They just have to step up and actually compete.

Show Notes

1:45 Shipwreck's boat
7:00 Wombat's adventures buying dolls
12:15 Indie Game: The Movie
14:00 Fez patch and MS fees
22:15 Transformers: Dark of the Moon
23:30 Show Feedback
27:45 New Releases
27:45 Tony Hawk HD
34:45 Dyad
36:15 Heroes of Ruin
36:00 ME3: Earth DLC
37:00 Shopping News
37:00 Cag Pax Panel is a no go
40:00 Heaven and Mel
42:00 Blacklight:Retribution (PC, not the Kinect game)
45:00 Steam Sale stuff
47:45 Andrea Superbeam Cans
50:15 Battlefield 4 demo
53:30 Political Correctness in videogames
58:00 Activision needs a buyer
60:00 Xbox dashboard advertising
69:00 Vita Foosball
71:00 Cagbag
71:15 Halo 4 Limited Xbox
74:00 Amazon sales tax
77:00 What are the chances of Steam being sold?
80:00 Win 7

The Cagcast earlier in the week would be awesome.

My big gripe with Tony Hawk is the skimpy amount of content. It should have most, if not all, of the levels from 1 & 2. As it is, it's like less than one of the games. And the music situation sucks. A fraction of the original tunes + a few crappy new ones. I don't have 2X to compare to for the gameplay though, which sucks. I thought I had it. :( I guess I couldn't justify buying it when the Dreamcast versions were still awesome.

It's fun, but they definitely gave us the bare minimum.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon is the kind of movie you watch all the way through because you can't understand how any of it got made. If the guys on How Did This Get Made? haven't torn this one apart yet, they need to.

So I can officially tolerate Build-A-Bear just a little bit more after hearing that American Dolls story.

Hey guys, fun as always. I hate to disagree with Wombat 'cause he's awesome, but I feel like he's picking apart that PAR article unfairly. In regards to the picture in the article, yeah, there are $'s over things that are not paid ads, but they DO make Microssoft money, no? He even said that they probably make a ton on the other content/sales (ex: Breaking Bad 50% off).

As a consumer, I don't care if the "ads" are paid, or "promotions" from Microsoft. Either way, they are cumbersome, and in the way of actually playing and buying the games I want.

The other major point of the aricle is that we are paying $50-60 a year to see THIS on our dashboard? Hey, the PS3 may make me update every time I log in, but the ads are reasonable, and easily dismissed. The mess that is the Xbox dash is a problem, and I think we can all agree on that.

[quote name='SoxFan13']As a consumer, I don't care if the "ads" are paid, or "promotions" from Microsoft. Either way, they are cumbersome, and in the way of actually playing and buying the games I want.

The other major point of the aricle is that we are paying $50-60 a year to see THIS on our dashboard? Hey, the PS3 may make me update every time I log in, but the ads are reasonable, and easily dismissed. The mess that is the Xbox dash is a problem, and I think we can all agree on that.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly.

As for paying for LIVE and we still see ads...didn't PennyArcade JUST have a kickstarter to AVOID ads? Yeah, think about that microsoft.

CheapyD, summer vacation just started on mid July? Ouch, poor kid! Tell me he goes back to school in mid October then?

I like having the CAGcast come out on Friday. It feels like a real signal that the work week is wrapping up. I would still listen to and download the CAGcast regardless of what day it is released. It's my favorite podcast, I'll make time for it no matter what day of the week it comes out.

bread's done
Back