CAGcast #291: Patch This!

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

Oh, and the Podcast app is terribly buggy.

Downcast (http://appshopper.com/news/downcast) is the solution to your woes.

#62 redfusion

redfusion

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

So glad I'm not the only one who thinks Batman Beyond is terrible.

#63 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Another fantastic episode. I was dying from laughter during Wombat's American Girl store story. I don't have kids of my own, but two of my siblings do and I've seen the damage firsthand with two of my nieces. Shit is crazy expensive.

Regarding Phil Fish, he basically sounds like he's full of shit. I enjoyed Fez and actually didn't mind him despite his reputation for being a bit of a dick (don't really know him obviously) but a few things sound pretty fishy to me.

Why would he knowingly go into business with Microsoft as an XBLA exclusive if he has all of these problems with how they run the service?

And his seemingly unending desire to get on Steam is odd. "If only I had put this out on Steam!" even though before Fez came out he said the game was absolutely a console game, meant to be played on a couch and that "PC's are just for spreadsheets". Now it's the best platform ever and the best for Fez? Interesting.

Also interesting is, despite all the recent bitching about Xbox Live cert fees and advertisements, XBL membership is up 15% year over year according to Microsoft's financial report on Thursday.

With the bit about Valve being bought out, I also really don't see it happening. Sure Gabe may step down eventually, but I'd bet that he'll just hand the reigns over to another higher up in the company rather than sell it.

The thing with Valve is that Gabe was rich as hell from his Microsoft days, before Valve even existed. Gave them the luxury of doing pretty much everything on their own terms from the jump without too much financial pressure.

Edited by Fjordson, 22 July 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#64 spid

spid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Add me to the list of people who would prefer a Batman: Beyond game over anything Silver Age. I really really disliked the Batman: The Brave and The Bold cartoon.

I think the last dashboard refresh has been the best one to date. I never really used the Games marketplace so I do not really care where they place it. Before the last update I would just go to Xbox.com and buy stuff there. Now If I want to find something on the Xbox I just say "Xbox Bing...". I never randomly browsed the marketplace. I skipped the Penny Arcade article because seemed like just another fanboy overreaction piece.

#65 codenamelenny

codenamelenny

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

You may have mentioned this on the last episode but I wanted to comment. I work in tech support for a software company and people complain about internet speed a lot (mostly upload speeds) and I tell them to check their firewall but other than that there isn't any we can do. The only thing that may be happening is that they are throttling speeds because you are in Japan.

Also want to say CAGCAST is the BEST PODCAST ON THE INTERNET.

#66 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

You guys should definitely be posting CAGcast episodes earlier in the week, as most of the podcasts I follow release on Thursday/Friday. I recall the show used to be out on Tuesdays, then Thursdays, and now they've been released on Fridays for the past few months.

They've had those sponsored themes, avatars, etc. on the Xbox 360 dashboard since the blades, though most of them are crap and the first big dashboard overhaul killing the usefulness of those original themes killed my interest in promotional stuff on the dashboard.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#67 mrangrypants

mrangrypants

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

A follow up to Vivendi trying to sell the games division (ActivisionBlizzard) Pachter on Pachattack from 7/21 answered that and basically stated the the games division is valued so high that no company that wants to buy it can afford it and no company that can afford it wants to buy it. He then went on to explain a possible scenario where Vivendi forces AVB to take out loans with the sole purpose of paying out big bucks on the dividends then a freshly debt ridden AVB would have its stock drop and and people would sell off their stock.

It was probably one of his more insightful answers through out his entire series and is worth a view.

Edited by mrangrypants, 24 July 2012 - 12:15 AM.

Gordon's alive?!?!?

#68 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

I don't mind the ads on Xbox dashboard. The targeted marketing usually shows me things I'm interested in. Like Wombat said, I've gotten some cool stuff I liked like themes and avatar gear. Best of all are the contest. A couple of years ago I won a family vacation to Disney World from Kia. Just this week I won 80,000 Microsoft points from Bengay. So by all means, keep ignoring those ads. Better odds for me.

#69 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

Cheapie: out of curiosity what does Amazon.JP charge prime users for same day delivery?

#70 Sashka

Sashka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

This is regarding Cheapy's question on his stream about how Robert Bowling can donate 10 grand to Ouya's kickstarter...

He's a millionaire. His networth is just under $20 mil, so I don't think $10k is that much of an investment for him.

#71 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

It would cool if the CAGcast was recorded on Monday nights and published on Tuesday mornings (American time). Tuesday can be pretty barren for podcasts while we wait for the Bombcast to get released.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#72 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

I was also a bit taken aback at the disdain for Batman Beyond. To say that you do not like it is one thing, but to be surprised at even the notion that it would have a fanbase seems odd. Did Wombat or Shipwreck ever actually watch the series or did you just assume since it was Batman, set in the future, not following a pre-existing comic that it must suck?

If it is the latter, then I would put the "watch this bitches" challenge to watch Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker uncut at a minimum. The less you read about the plot of the movie the better you will enjoy it.

Guardian_owl.png

#73 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

Isn't that patching fee the same excuse Tim Shafer(sp) uses as to why he doesn't fix the glitch that corrupts your save if you get more than 80% completion in Brutal Legend. They say they have the fix ready but won't even release it for PS3. I think EA is def to blame too. no idea.

Velo214.png
sig.gif