Photo
- - - - -

Sleeping Dogs Thread-Early Reviews In(Game is Excellent)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 n00bie

n00bie

Grazing for cheap games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

I checked Redbox near me and there's none that have it. None for 200 miles apparently.

#32 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, still nothing here either. If nothing shows up by 11am, I will pick up a copy down the road from Bestbuy when I go.

#33 Ashtaar

Ashtaar

King of Blades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

My order from Newegg is out for delivery... *Waits*
Got it!!!!
Edit 2: Loving it so far but they sure do drop a lot of F bombs

Edited by Ashtaar, 14 August 2012 - 06:43 PM.

210452.png

#34 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

im still waiting for my copy from new egg. get here damnit
Posted Image
I was half cut, im not slippin man i slipped! - Max Payne

#35 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Picked up a copy from Redbox. So far, it's OK. Personally, I wouldn't spend $60 on this.

#36 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

My order from Newegg arrived earlier but the case and the cover art are mangled up along the spine. Decided I'm just going to keep it instead of returning it since:
A. I wanted to play it right away.
B. I was probably going to trade it in after I beat it anyways.

TheVila.png

#37 n00bie

n00bie

Grazing for cheap games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

I think it's worth $60. I mean it's no GTA but neither was SR. And this blows SR III right out of the water.

#38 koalak

koalak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

here is another review, 8.5/10

Sleeping Dogs Review
GameShampoo username: lokik
Playing:
Rift: lvl 14 Rogue (Ranger/Marksman/Saboteur)
WoW: lvl 57 Hunter (Beast Master)

#39 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

All I do is tackle people. I find people on high ledges or at the top of the stairs, run at them, and tackle them.

This is just like when I found out I could push people down stairs in LA Noire. I'll never finish this game.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#40 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

LOL Scorch

#41 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

Picked up a copy at Redbox, which only 3 were placed in the metro area apparently. Odd.

So far, it's meh. I'm sure it will get better as I play on but the combat seems very particular about button presses. I died 3 times against Ming(?) before finally getting past him with a sliver of health. I think I'll chock that up to playing at an abnormally late time for me, but still.. ugh.

Saints Row The Third is leagues above this game, by the way. There's really no comparison, there's so much more polish on SR3 and this game just feels clunky.

Like I said though, just an early "review" of sorts. I'll give it more time, might even keep it an extra day or two to see if I can get through it.

#42 dennisb407

dennisb407

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Already used at a couple of Gamestops near me, debating on picking it up

#43 Ashtaar

Ashtaar

King of Blades

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Picked up a copy at Redbox, which only 3 were placed in the metro area apparently. Odd.

So far, it's meh. I'm sure it will get better as I play on but the combat seems very particular about button presses. I died 3 times against Ming(?) before finally getting past him with a sliver of health. I think I'll chock that up to playing at an abnormally late time for me, but still.. ugh.

Saints Row The Third is leagues above this game, by the way. There's really no comparison, there's so much more polish on SR3 and this game just feels clunky.

Like I said though, just an early "review" of sorts. I'll give it more time, might even keep it an extra day or two to see if I can get through it.

Disagree SR3 is wack imo, I bought it for my girl (she loved the first 2 Saints Rows) and she's barely played the third, after playing it myself I can't really blame her.
This game is more fun imo

210452.png

#44 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

Disagree SR3 is wack imo, I bought it for my girl (she loved the first 2 Saints Rows) and she's barely played the third, after playing it myself I can't really blame her.
This game is more fun imo

Saints Row 3 is way way better than 1 and 2 in every way. I didn't know people existed who like either of the first two better.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#45 Quail-Man3000

Quail-Man3000

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Sleeping Dogs is definitely worth the purchase. SR3 was mediocre but this game will hold me over until Rockstar decides to release GTA V.

#46 n00bie

n00bie

Grazing for cheap games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

Yeah like I said, Saints Row The Third is a fun game, but doesn't hold a candle to Sleeping Dogs.

SR has the advantage in the fact that there are planes and choppers, and the music is better. Other than that, the game is just too silly and over the top which really took away from the experience.

Which was odd, since I loved SR II (best of the series) and it was just as oddball.

Anyhow, Sleeping Dogs has cheesy moments in dialogue, and the finishing/takedown moves are kind of over the top, but I mean if you threw a guys head inside an industrial fan in real life, it probably wouldn't be very pretty.

Sleeping Dogs wins as far as story and combat, as well as driving. Plus, I'd rather do karaoke, bet on fights, and do street fighting than run around with a dildo hitting people, or driving hookers around.

#47 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

All I do is tackle people. I find people on high ledges or at the top of the stairs, run at them, and tackle them.

This is just like when I found out I could push people down stairs in LA Noire. I'll never finish this game.

:lol: I think this post makes me want to buy this game more than anything else I've read or seen. Reminds me of the absurd amount of pleasure I derived from pushing people into the water, both in the park and by the docks, in GTA IV. Or driving fast over bridges in SR2 and swerving into crowds of pedestrians, sending several of them flying over the side of the bridge. Oh man, the time I spent doing those little things over and over and over...

EDIT: Why is there a 3DS symbol above my post? What the hell did I do to make that appear? :error:

Edited by Danimal, 16 August 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Posted Image

#48 impostor71

impostor71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

I'm enjoying this game. I like jumping from my motorcycle onto a car while moving to jack it. :) I just unlocked the skill where I can tackle and beat someone, but how do you tackle someone?

#49 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hold A down to sprint then press B to tackle.

jukeboxtimebomb.png

#50 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Also, I'm having a blast playing this. Really addicting. I really have no complaints about it so far.

jukeboxtimebomb.png

#51 impostor71

impostor71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hold A down to sprint then press B to tackle.

Thanks man!

#52 dennisb407

dennisb407

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

So after a week what is everyone's opinion on SD?

#53 HydroX

HydroX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

It's definitely grown on me. Probably my third favorite sandbox style game on 360, after SR3 and GTA4.

#54 FuzTurtle

FuzTurtle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

The problem I have with this game are the collectibles. On the big map,I can't distinguish which collectibles I colliected and which ones I haven't. I wish they made them different colors or that they vanish on the big map once they are collected. Driving in this game is awesome and I love the combat.

#55 GF_Eric

GF_Eric

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

When you do the dating missions the locations of all of the collectibles will appear on your map. Ones you have picked up already are white, while the ones you haven't found yet are gray.

#56 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

So after a week what is everyone's opinion on SD?

I haven't played it in a few days and have no desire to. I'll get back to it eventually, but I'll probably pick it up on PC before playing again.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#57 impostor71

impostor71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'm digging this game. My problem is that I mash the buttons too much during fights as if I'm playing Final Fight. I need to time them instead. :) Is it me or are the women standing in the hallway outside my crappy apt are dirty but funny?

#58 HydroX

HydroX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

I mash the buttons at times too, then remind myself that I have to simma down nah and start playing more defensively.

I've found most of the health shrines and statues, but some of the statues that I find the location of, I have no idea how the hell to get to them. I've noticed some of them require lots of sweet parkour action, but there's a few that look impossible to reach at this point of the game.

There is only one *major* complaint from me: glitches. Tons of them. One of the most annoying ones is that I always get stuck on objects then have to save and re-load. Another one is that my pistol often just disappears at random while I'm doing missions.

#59 Whipt

Whipt

Do I have some on my face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

I mash the buttons at times too, then remind myself that I have to simma down nah and start playing more defensively.

I've found most of the health shrines and statues, but some of the statues that I find the location of, I have no idea how the hell to get to them. I've noticed some of them require lots of sweet parkour action, but there's a few that look impossible to reach at this point of the game.

There is only one *major* complaint from me: glitches. Tons of them. One of the most annoying ones is that I always get stuck on objects then have to save and re-load. Another one is that my pistol often just disappears at random while I'm doing missions.

There are some statues that you cannot reach until specific story junctions in the game. You will encounter all of the statues at some point through the story missions.

Pistols will disappear from you when you've used up all their ammo. Wei will drop the gun. There are some points of missions where the gun will not be accessible as well, if there is a on-foot chase the gun will disappear during the chase.

#60 Whipt

Whipt

Do I have some on my face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

There are some things that the game doesn't tell you that you can do, by the way. For example, if you are near a wall during a fight, sprint towards the wall and you will run up it. Hit the attack button and you will do a flying kick off of the wall.

Taxis can be used to fast travel to different areas. Taxis will have a speech bubble on them, you can press and HOLD the Y button to ride in a taxi.

There are objects that can be used for environmental attacks that don't glow red, like some car doors.

If you have a gun and are riding a motorcycle, if you press Y to bail, it will enter into slow motion aiming mode.