Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

• Please log in to reply
11970 replies to this topic

#31 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

I agree. There are going to be a lot of things that will need to be decided on this year. Personally, I think the salary cap is a good thing though. If it's realistic and is set according to how it works in real life, then any limitations it creates will be realistic as well...which is how it should be.

Here's the info we know on Connected Careers that Doom posted in the other league thread:

Connected Careers Basic Info
Spoiler

Connected Careers Detailed Info
Spoiler

And here's a Q&A video that explains some of it as well.

Just taking a quick look, I'd say we'd be locking in "coach's franchise", "salary cap on", "coach firing off", and then player progression, accelerated clock, etc. would need some discussion...as well as things like injuries, weather, etc. Just for the record, I don't have a problem with injuries...but I hated how they were implemented in 12. It was only who was tackled/tackling and there were too many huge injuries. If they actually changed it to where guys can have nagging injuries that they can play through, I'd be fine with injuries being on.
Do you have what it takes to compete?

#32 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

accel clock needs to be off its the worse thing ea has done it can really screw up over. player progression im unsure where i feel is the best on that one. i was thinki ng salary cap off and run cap the way we did last year was pefect becuz with empty teams people will hit FA and other will be able to pick them up when we allowe fa pick ups

also curious are we honoring the nfls real life trades in the league as in the rams own the redskins 1st round picks for a couples years so in the league will the rams own the radskins 1st round picks as well?

Edited by DVO21, 06 August 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#33 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

accel clock needs to be off its the worse thing ea has done it can really screw up over. player progression im unsure where i feel is the best on that one. i was thinki ng salary cap off and run cap the way we did last year was pefect becuz with empty teams people will hit FA and other will be able to pick them up when we allowe fa pick ups

also curious are we honoring the nfls real life trades in the league as in the rams own the redskins 1st round picks for a couples years so in the league will the rams own the radskins 1st round picks as well?

I don't have a strong opinion on accelerated clock because I've never been a person to consider "chewing clock" to be an exploit. The lengths that people go to argue this in the official league just seems crazy to me. Whenever something is questioned as being "cheese", I always ask "Well, how do you stop it?"

And stopping someone from chewing the clock seems like the simplest and most obvious thing: "Stop them on 3rd down". The flip side of that coin is constant no huddle...which to ME, actually is "cheese". The reason being, your options on defense are much more limited. You can audible...but you can't rush players on/off the field for coverage or fatigue reasons.

I feel like there are obvious times to run a no huddle: under two minutes left in the 1st half, if you're losing by 3 scores or more in the 2nd half, or if you're losing at all in the 4th quarter. Outside of that, it should be used sparingly. Honestly, I think that same policy could be applied for when it's appropriate to chew the clock (changing "losing" with "winning" of course).

The official league started getting into a debate about this already, and not surprisingly, it kind of ended with no resolution and a bit of vagueness on what exactly is acceptable. That's something I really want us to avoid this year. I want our rules and policies to be very up front and transparent. Hopefully as more people start joining, that's something we can discuss in greater detail and figure out what things everybody thinks needs to be limited.

As for player progression...I think it would be interesting for it to happen more than just between seasons, but that's assuming EA doesn't botch mid season progression in some way. I feel pretty strongly about the salary cap though. If it's realistic, there's no reason to not follow it. I know you're lobbying pretty hard for increasing the trade cap, but I still think we need to keep it realistic in terms of moves that actually happen in the NFL.

As for honoring real life trades, I don't like doing that because it handicaps people as the league moves forward. If it's built into the game, that's fine. But I don't want to take anything away from anybody that wasn't their doing. My biggest goal this year is to put everybody on as even of a playing field as possible. That's why I'm considering the settings changes, more specific rules, etc. I was even strongly thinking about doing fantasy rosters until I learned they took that feature out. If there was even a feature to have even ratings for all teams, I'd be on board with that. I just don't want to see games being decided by arbitrary factors this year.

#34 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

My thoughts on clock chewing: Play better defense.

I don't think we should start until Week 1 rosters are finalized (in-game). Obviously teams can be decided, and all that jazz, but I would prefer not to start with a bunch of preseason scrubs (who will likely be waived by week 1) on my team.

#35 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

i kinda like his idea

#36 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely fine with waiting until the regular season rosters are updated. I was really wanting to switch to the Titans, but since it was revealed that Chris Johnson isn't even a top 10 back, I'm hoping he lights things up in the preseason, and EA bumps his numbers up right away, lol.

#37 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

I guess pitfall changed his mind and is playing in the other league. Looks like the Packers will be available.

#38 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, the schedule's cleared up a bit. I understand I'll lose the Pack, but it'll be fun learning to play (and hopefully win) with another team.

#39 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

I would love to play in both leagues if extra spots are available here. I don't want to take the spot of someone who isn't in any league though. You can put me down as a reserve/filler for now until I find out about the other league. Either way I will definitely play in this league if you need a warm body.

CAG NAME: JoelyPoley
XBL GAMERTAG: FattyMcSweaty
TIME ZONE: Eastern (EST)
AVAILABILITY: Mon-Fri anytime after 7pm eastern, Generally anytime on Saturday and Sunday.

#40 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

I would love to play in both leagues if extra spots are available here. I don't want to take the spot of someone who isn't in any league though. You can put me down as a reserve/filler for now until I find out about the other league. Either way I will definitely play in this league if you need a warm body.

Sounds good, man. Unless interest just completely blows up, there should be room for you here. I do think it'll get a little busier once the demo comes out, and people start really thinking about Madden, but I'll add you to the list.

#41 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

Also, DVO, it looks like you got a spot in the other league that you've repeatedly said you're not playing in, lol. How many times are we going to do this dance?

#42 neworlbush25

neworlbush25

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

Got a spot in the other league, so that will be the one ill be playing in.

Prolly wont have time for this league, but I will play if you need one more.

#43 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

Got a spot in the other league, so that will be the one ill be playing in.

Prolly wont have time for this league, but I will play if you need one more.

If you're not sure you have time for both, it would be best to stick to one. It wouldn't be fair to the people only playing in this league to have people half committed.

#44 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

Also, DVO, it looks like you got a spot in the other league that you've repeatedly said you're not playing in, lol. How many times are we going to do this dance?

i guess i will just take that spot i thought i was going to be on the waiting list but i gues staticz is going to sub for me while im gone so i guess i will have to go back on the other side of ur list my bad bro. prolly wont land a good team in this league but thats fine i like building teams anyways. ive got use to the challange of building a team

#45 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

All right, well now that spots are finally squared away in the other league, people can stop bouncing around so much. I was kind of disappointed that the demo wasn't released yesterday, as I'm sure that will get people in the Madden spirit, but hopefully it'll be out on the 14th. We've still got at least a month until the first roster update, so there's still plenty of time for people to find this thread and sign up.

We've also still got a few people unaccounted for, who I'm not sure if they're getting the game or coming back: lyric, Ultimate Matt X, docb, Kaster (pretty sure he's anticipating playing in January or something), and campbell. I'm guessing for people who played well into the summer, they're not even thinking about football yet, haha.

#46 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Edited by KtMack23, 08 August 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#47 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

lol i never stopped thinking still want in this league though so just put me on which ever list i belong now plz and thank u

#48 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

We've also still got a few people unaccounted for, who I'm not sure if they're getting the game or coming back: lyric, Ultimate Matt X, docb, Kaster (pretty sure he's anticipating playing in January or something), and campbell. I'm guessing for people who played well into the summer, they're not even thinking about football yet, haha.

You've got to remember we started late last year, and some members didn't pick up the game until the Black Friday sales, so those that are missing may not be the kind who get it on release.

#49 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

You've got to remember we started late last year, and some members didn't pick up the game until the Black Friday sales, so those that are missing may not be the kind who get it on release.

Possibly. I still think interest will pick up once the demo is out though. And with the $15 credit that Amazon and TRU have been offering, waiting on a BF sale (likely $29.99) shouldn't be as big of a factor. I know the other league kicked things into high gear today, but we've all still got 3 weeks to wait.

And if I'm being completely honest, I think the official league should have used Doom/sprice's idea of having past champions in the same division (though, I guess you could argue that would "water down" the playoffs). The team lottery was a fantastic idea, but looking at the divisions, I kinda feel like the playoffs could very well end up looking exactly the same. Different teams, but same faces. I think you're lucky to be in the NFC East, which in my opinion is the most balanced and should be a lot of fun for you guys. But if I had to bet, I'd wager 4-5 of the divisions will see the same champion for the entire length of the franchise. The AFC South, in particular, is just going to get absolutely steamrolled by Doom. Those guys are in for a long year.

If I were some of those guys, I think I'd consider jumping ship for the less threatening waters of the Gentlemen's League, haha. ;)

Edited by CAGLeagueSports, 09 August 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#50 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:26 AM

Yeah, I'm very happy with my draw in that league. The Giants weren't necessarily the top team I wanted, but with the way the lottery worked, I figured I'd have a decent shot getting them if I put them in my number one slot. And they are better than any team I had in that league last year, so that combined with getting better through this league will hopefully put me in a better position for a playoff run.

#51 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

still a little slow in here i hope when the demo comes out it brings more attention to this place

#52 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I got in the other league, but I am still planning on playing in this one too unless 32 other people want to play who aren't in the other league.

#53 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

Well, it's confirmed that the demo comes out Tuesday. Really looking forward to it. More info is starting to leak out about the features, and in theory, the changes sound great. I'm really amazed at how EA finally decided to take the real life complexities of running a team and incorporate them into online play. I can't wait for the free agent bidding and live draft system. It all sounds really awesome.

#54 HydroX

HydroX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

I figured if they demo wasn't out by Thursday this week, it would definitely be next Tuesday.

#55 Rapid shot

Rapid shot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I had to spend the money I was going to use to Preorder Madden 13. I can still get it but it wouldn't be until my birthday, which is in November. I would hate to take someone's spot so put me down as Pending availability.

#56 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

All right, wow. Numbers are dwindling before we even get started. I guess we'll find out if the demand for a second league is really only there after the game gets its first sale. I'm still hoping people will get the itch after watching some football on TV and getting their hands on the demo. Otherwise, we'll definitely need people who are wanting to double up.

#57 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

ya plus if it doesnt work now im sure once black friday hits another league will be needed thats for sure

#58 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, we'll see how it goes. I'm definitely not giving up on starting in September...and I sure intend on playing some Madden. I still think more names will pop up. They might not be the "hardcore" players, but some people who probably aren't even planning on picking the game up might change their mind after playing the demo.

#59 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

u should look on the waiting list of the offical league and send thoughs guys pms and see if they would like to play in this league. i saw a few new names on there waiting list as of late but never saw them come over here. they prolly dont realize that the two leagues are pretty much the exact same thing

#60 HydroX

HydroX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

u should look on the waiting list of the offical league and send thoughs guys pms and see if they would like to play in this league. i saw a few new names on there waiting list as of late but never saw them come over here. they prolly dont realize that the two leagues are pretty much the exact same thing

The thing about that is, once a spot opens in the other league, they will likely end up ghosting us in the process. So it's almost a temporary patch for the problem.