Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

• Please log in to reply
11970 replies to this topic

#7531 Wpark83

Wpark83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

Man that was crazy you should have won you inted it 3 times and completely shut my offense. It kinda sucked for me too cause the reason you scored the first two times is when I tried to switch to an defense lineman and try to get a sack it would switch to the CB and it took him off cause you threw it right as I pressed B.

I shut down your offense minus Fred Jackson, who despite the same route being run over and over again, my guy couldn't seem to knock down the ball.

Honestly, I'm pretty fucking pissed about this. This was a pretty important game for playoff implications and I feel like the OT glitch screwed me, even if I should have taken care of business in regulation.

#7532 GpNinja

GpNinja

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

I shut down your offense minus Fred Jackson, who despite the same route being run over and over again, my guy couldn't seem to knock down the ball.

Honestly, I'm pretty fucking pissed about this. This was a pretty important game for playoff implications and I feel like the OT glitch screwed me, even if I should have taken care of business in regulation.

The only reason it worked is cause it was man coverage I believe and that linebacker probably has a bad man coverage rating.

#7533 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

Up two scores I'm passing it unless I can just run the clock out in one drive. Unless the game is completely put away and in the last few minutes you pass up only two scores.

Also I did not that about madden OT that's is complete bs.

#7534 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

In news that doesn't make much sense, this year's Madden will be titled Madden NFL 25. I get that it's the 25th anniversary or whatever, but it's still an odd way to go. The release date is August 27.

#7535 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Yeah, it's been discussed numerous times, but a 2 score lead is not a "big lead"...especially in the 3rd quarter. I do have to point out though, every time this discussion comes up (whether it's for why someone didn't chew the clock or for why they did), I feel like the idea of "what happens when the other team gets closer" just gets completely overlooked. It's not like a 14 point touchdown was scored here. I'm sure after he scored to bring the lead to 7, you started passing the ball again, no?

So, at most, the "gentlemanly rule" would only affect one score. I know that still makes a difference. Just trying to add some perspective here. But yeah, if need be, I can pull up the old posts when DVO was specifically asking about a 2 score lead in the 4th quarter, and if it was still ok to throw. The answer was yes because a two score lead is just a TD and an onside kick away from being lost. The "benchmark" (not that I think this applies in all cases) was a 21 point lead in the 4th quarter was really when you need to start milking the clock.

But of course, if your opponent scores and cuts the lead to 14...you're back out of the "big lead" range again. I hate putting such specific numbers on things, because I really feel like it's just about awareness of what's happening in the game. If you're destroying your opponent, ease off the gas. If the game is close, keep playing your game. It's crazy to me when people seriously claim that they can't see the difference either way.
Do you have what it takes to compete?

#7536 Wpark83

Wpark83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, it's been discussed numerous times, but a 2 score lead is not a "big lead"...especially in the 3rd quarter. I do have to point out though, every time this discussion comes up (whether it's for why someone didn't chew the clock or for why they did), I feel like the idea of "what happens when the other team gets closer" just gets completely overlooked. It's not like a 14 point touchdown was scored here. I'm sure after he scored to bring the lead to 7, you started passing the ball again, no?

So, at most, the "gentlemanly rule" would only affect one score. I know that still makes a difference. Just trying to add some perspective here. But yeah, if need be, I can pull up the old posts when DVO was specifically asking about a 2 score lead in the 4th quarter, and if it was still ok to throw. The answer was yes because a two score lead is just a TD and an onside kick away from being lost. The "benchmark" (not that I think this applies in all cases) was a 21 point lead in the 4th quarter was really when you need to start milking the clock.

But of course, if your opponent scores and cuts the lead to 14...you're back out of the "big lead" range again. I hate putting such specific numbers on things, because I really feel like it's just about awareness of what's happening in the game. If you're destroying your opponent, ease off the gas. If the game is close, keep playing your game. It's crazy to me when people seriously claim that they can't see the difference either way.

Any explanation to the OT fiasco?

#7537 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

That's just how over time is in this game.

#7538 njrockpd

njrockpd

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Commish can I hold my tryout for the Chargers today?

#7539 staticz

staticz

FortySixin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Panthers - 20
Texans - 7

Panthers come out on top and move to 3-5 on the season. This game didn't feature much offense but the Panthers defense forced 9 turnovers including a fumble on the opening kickoff. Texans rookie QB, Eddie Murphy, was 14 for 30 with 1 TD and 8 picks while CJ Spiller ran for 89 yards on 12 attempts.

Carolina's offense was embarrassing but it's defense paved the way, having 6 different guys pulling in INTs. Even though the box score doesn't show any sacks I think I was able to confuse the Offense and force a lot of bad throws with different types of pressure.

And since I didn't forget to hit record, here are the highlights:

XBL - staticzV2
Steam - stat1cz

#7540 Flyersfan

Flyersfan

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Man, starting the game with a kickoff fumble is the worst. Its awesome if you are the kickoff team, however.

I beat the Chargers 23-7. Lost McFadden for a few games with a dislocated hip I believe :(

#7541 Wpark83

Wpark83

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Panthers - 20
Texans - 7

Panthers come out on top and move to 3-5 on the season. This game didn't feature much offense but the Panthers defense forced 9 turnovers including a fumble on the opening kickoff. Texans rookie QB, Eddie Murphy, was 14 for 30 with 1 TD and 8 picks while CJ Spiller ran for 89 yards on 12 attempts.

Carolina's offense was embarrassing but it's defense paved the way, having 6 different guys pulling in INTs. Even though the box score doesn't show any sacks I think I was able to confuse the Offense and force a lot of bad throws with different types of pressure.

Holy shit, that INT at the 3:40 mark is insane.

#7542 staticz

staticz

FortySixin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

The run at 4:00 really ticked me off. I had the play sniffed out from the beginning and whiffed with Beason :D
XBL - staticzV2
Steam - stat1cz

#7543 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Any explanation to the OT fiasco?

It's a game by EA Sports. That's really all the explanation you need.

#7544 Docb9110

Docb9110

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Panthers - 20
Texans - 7

Yea man great game! I forgot about the record with you' appreciate you showing some of my good plays as well! My QB just dropped out of the running for ROY LOL.

Well done on Defense! Definitely had me fooled!

#7545 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

uber missed our set time to play i will try to play him later today if i hear from him. but just in case n8 could u plz put him on auto sometime today that way if he cant play tonight i can play the cpu i dont plan on trying to play him on super bowl sunday at all

Madden 25

Official League Team: Bengals

Season 1: 0-0

Fans League Team: Possibly Chiefs

Season 1: 0-0

#7546 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Commish can I hold my tryout for the Chargers today?

Yeah, what do you have for availability? I'll be around most of the day until 10 PM EST when UFC starts. I do have my game for this league at 8 PM EST though.

uber missed our set time to play i will try to play him later today if i hear from him. but just in case n8 could u plz put him on auto sometime today that way if he cant play tonight i can play the cpu i dont plan on trying to play him on super bowl sunday at all

Whenever I'm on Madden later today, yeah, I'll do it.

Edited by n8rockerasu, 02 February 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#7547 njrockpd

njrockpd

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, what do you have for availability? I'll be around most of the day until 10 PM EST when UFC starts. I do have my game for this league at 8 PM EST though.

Whenever I'm on Madden later today, yeah, I'll do it.

Now?

#7548 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Now?

Yeah, I can do that. Getting on now.

Use the Chargers. I'll use Titans...so we can at least get a reasonable feel for how the game would be.

#7549 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Lions Saints is in the books.

Lions came out of the blocks with an 80 yard run by rookie Aaron Wiles for the first play of the game and the momentum continued to swing their way. After kickoff, Drew Brees proceeded to throw what amounted to a game changing pick to Bentley which was ran back to the house. From that point on everything went their way as they tried to milk the clock and get out of New Orleans sober and injury free.

Stafford was 13/18 for 191 yards, 3 TDs and a INT (a quick toss to the endzone that was deflected a few times, and then finally picked up by Roman Harper that was very cool to watch).

Calvin Johnson had 4 catches for 61 yards and a TD, and rookie Tyree Banks had 3 catches for 42 yards and 2 TDs.

Aaron Wiles had 10 rushes for 144 yards and TD.

Drew Brees was 10/24 for 132 yards 0 TDs and 5 INT, with nothing going his way.

However, running the ball Brees picked up 45 yards on 4 attemps, with David Wilson riding passenger seat with 7 attemps for 19 yards.

Leading the Lions D was Bill Bentley, who came away with 3 picks and 2 TDs. Terrence McGee added 2 picks and 4 tackles. Suh decided to show up to the stadium today, registering 2 sacks.

FS Malcom Jenkins lead the saints with 7 tackles, and Roman Harper had a pick.

Good game Superstar!
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#7550 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

All right, just played against njrockpd. Thanks to a late game INT, I was able to overcome my own mistakes and pull out a 24-21 win. The Chargers had 2 pick 6's, one that was just a stupid mistake on my part, and the other that was just a bad throw from Locker. I had plenty of INTs myself, but could never break one. So, I would say that njrockpd definitely isn't too GOOD for this league.

However, he's got some habits that need to be reined in. The "I just made a big play hurry up" style of offense doesn't fly here. It's a Maddeny thing to do, and it's lame. I had to bust my ass to call adjustments to have a chance to stopping the next play. But in a video game where you can't rush defenders on and off the field, doing it 4-5 times a game is not cool. If you want to play here, that has to go. Hurry up needs to be used situationally.

We had a discussion on it a while back, but I'm looking, and I guess it wasn't added to the OP. I'll have to see if I can find it and get that updated. The basic gist of it is if you're losing big and time is of the essence, a hurry up makes sense. But in a tie game or close game, it just becomes cheap. Yes, we all understand real teams do it...but this is Madden. You shouldn't be beating somebody because they weren't allowed to get better matchups on the field. You should beat someone because your playcalling and your execution was better than theirs.

Other than that, it was a very tight game. Strong defense for both sides, and a lot of nickel and diming to get down the field. The only big plays were the pick 6's. So, I think if njrockpd is cool with toning down his hurry up, he'd be a good fit here. Like I said, he's definitely good. But he's not unbeatable...which is all I wanted to see.

#7551 dr0ppinL0adz

dr0ppinL0adz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

All right, just played against njrockpd. Thanks to a late game INT, I was able to overcome my own mistakes and pull out a 24-21 win. The Chargers had 2 pick 6's, one that was just a stupid mistake on my part, and the other that was just a bad throw from Locker. I had plenty of INTs myself, but could never break one. So, I would say that njrockpd definitely isn't too GOOD for this league.

However, he's got some habits that need to be reined in. The "I just made a big play hurry up" style of offense doesn't fly here. It's a Maddeny thing to do, and it's lame. I had to bust my ass to call adjustments to have a chance to stopping the next play. But in a video game where you can't rush defenders on and off the field, doing it 4-5 times a game is not cool. If you want to play here, that has to go. Hurry up needs to be used situationally.

We had a discussion on it a while back, but I'm looking, and I guess it wasn't added to the OP. I'll have to see if I can find it and get that updated. The basic gist of it is if you're losing big and time is of the essence, a hurry up makes sense. But in a tie game or close game, it just becomes cheap. Yes, we all understand real teams do it...but this is Madden. You shouldn't be beating somebody because they weren't allowed to get better matchups on the field. You should beat someone because your playcalling and your execution was better than theirs.

Other than that, it was a very tight game. Strong defense for both sides, and a lot of nickel and diming to get down the field. The only big plays were the pick 6's. So, I think if njrockpd is cool with toning down his hurry up, he'd be a good fit here. Like I said, he's definitely good. But he's not unbeatable...which is all I wanted to see.

Huh? This is completely contradictory to what you stated earlier. I believe I was the one who brought this up and suggested a rule of using it when only down or only with 2 minutes left In the first half. I had a game against the bills and complained he ran a hurry up in the 3rd quarter up 2 scores and that was OK'ed by you since he didnt abuse it.

#7552 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

I was under the understanding that it was only acceptable within the end of the first or second half regardless of the score, otherwise the hurry up wasn't supposed to be used.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#7553 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Huh? This is completely contradictory to what you stated earlier. I believe I was the one who brought this up and suggested a rule of using it when only down or only with 2 minutes left In the first half. I had a game against the bills and complained he ran a hurry up in the 3rd quarter up 2 scores and that was OK'ed by you since he didnt abuse it.

I don't remember the situation, but up 2 scores in the 3rd quarter, I'd have to have a good reason to say it was ok. At best, it would be a gray area of "It's not the worst thing in the world, but don't be surprised if your opponent thinks you're an asshole for doing it." (thus creating the reason for why we shouldn't do it...because if anyone in this league is ok with others thinking they're an asshole, then they probably shouldn't be here). I'm really trying to remember the situation you're talking about, and wasn't it something like he did it one time? There had to be some argument given to justify it.

Like I said, against njrockpd, it was 4-5 times spread across all 4 quarters. And the reason for running it had absolutely nothing to do with the score of the game or the amount of time on the clock. Hell, I ran a no huddle myself in this game...but as a means for not having to burn my timeouts because it was late in each half. Like I said, it's entirely situational. If you've got a good reason for using it, go ahead. But "my opponent was in a mismatch" is not a good reason. Outsmart your opponent. Don't out-Madden your opponent.

#7554 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

uber is on auto pilot now, btw.

#7555 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Still haven't heard back from Franky. I don't think I'll have a chance at all to play tomorrow. n8, can you put him on auto when you get the chance just in case I don't hear from him tonight? If I don't hear from him, I'll play the CPU later tonight.

#7556 KasterDB

KasterDB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm too busy to play my game against KC this week. I've put myself on auto, so Cool iam, you can play whenever.

Check out my podcast, Kind of a Talk Show, on iTunes and like it at facebook.com/koats
166876.png

#7557 dr0ppinL0adz

dr0ppinL0adz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I don't remember the situation, but up 2 scores in the 3rd quarter, I'd have to have a good reason to say it was ok. At best, it would be a gray area of "It's not the worst thing in the world, but don't be surprised if your opponent thinks you're an asshole for doing it." (thus creating the reason for why we shouldn't do it...because if anyone in this league is ok with others thinking they're an asshole, then they probably shouldn't be here). I'm really trying to remember the situation you're talking about, and wasn't it something like he did it one time? There had to be some argument given to justify it.

Like I said, against njrockpd, it was 4-5 times spread across all 4 quarters. And the reason for running it had absolutely nothing to do with the score of the game or the amount of time on the clock. Hell, I ran a no huddle myself in this game...but as a means for not having to burn my timeouts because it was late in each half. Like I said, it's entirely situational. If you've got a good reason for using it, go ahead. But "my opponent was in a mismatch" is not a good reason. Outsmart your opponent. Don't out-Madden your opponent.

That was exactly his reasoning to use it. Something along the lines of "I saw a mismatch in the defense." But it IS allowed 1 or 2 times a game at ANY time, correct? That is what I got from our discussions earlier... page 175, post #3493 and on is where the discussion starts

#7558 dr0ppinL0adz

dr0ppinL0adz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

I was under the understanding that it was only acceptable within the end of the first or second half regardless of the score, otherwise the hurry up wasn't supposed to be used.

From my understanding, last 2 minutes of either half is acceptable, and you can also use it 1-2 times during any time of the game if you see a "mismatch"

#7559 njrockpd

njrockpd

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

It's funny because I made such a point not to do anything that might be considered annoying. I ran 1 screen the whole game. I didn't blitz excessively, I didn't drop 9 guys into coverage. I had no idea that you couldn't do the no huddle. Just like I had no idea that 4 or 5 times in a game is excessive. My bad.

#7560 njrockpd

njrockpd

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

So am I in?