Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

• Please log in to reply
11970 replies to this topic

#1531 Chetty12

Chetty12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

And if the players on the return team don't block the players streaking downfield and just allow them to get to the ball at the 5 yard line, then what? That's the point...the AI players run around like bumbling idiots on line drive aka squib kicks, so kicking it like that gives the kicking team an unfair advantage. Why does the onus fall on the receiving team to just "deal with it" rather than on the kicking team to "learn how to punt"?

For that matter, what he was doing isn't a "coffin punt". He's already said he kicks a line drive...which is what causes it to go short and skip along the field. This is a coffin punt.

Ok first, i still don't understand what you mean by they don't block. I just did a practice trying to see what you mean and the guys blocking the gunners still do there jobs and block them. If your in PUNT RETURN MIDDLE most of the other blockers form a wall returning to the middle, which leaves your returner on an island by himself towards the sideline where the line drive punt occurred. If you choose PUNT RETURN LEFT or RIGHT depending on the direction he's kicking it to, the blockers would go in that direction and provide some help for your returner, i'm not sure if you tried that or not. I also am not quite sure why you think this is so cheap but think skying a punt is so much better. In madden, most of the time when you sky a punt, once you get past the initial gunner the rest of the blockers go stupid and don't try to re-engage you until the returner has actually caught the ball. This allows multiple people to sneak by blockers to get an unfair angle or advantage of a big hit on the returner. Once again, i'm not against banning it the sideline punt, i honestly don't care.

But anyway it is what it is and you already have your opinion made up. You said we were going to have a discussion about it, i thought that meant i could post a suggestion of when it would be appropriate. And to get to your second point, i never said what he was doing was coffin punting, i know what he was doing is not coffin punting. I was saying that i thought that type of punt should be allowed in a coffin punting type situation.

Edit: I'm going to tap out of this punting controversy now because all i was trying to provide was a suggestion and like i said, i don't care, i personally don't find it to be a big deal and i'm fine with whatever you decide.

Madden 25 Official CAG League Record: Season 1: 19-0, Season 2: 18-1

Madden 25 Official CAG League, Season 1 and 2 Super Bowl Champion: Buffalo Bills

Madden 2013 Official CAG League, Season 4 Super Bowl Champion: Arizona Cardinals

#1532 DeskLaser

DeskLaser

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

I (Saints) put up a really good game (easily the best I have ever played in Madden) against the Redskins last night. I actually managed to make some passes and get some TDs for once and not get blown out. The problem was, I couldn't figure out how to stop his offense and he did the same thing, lol. Game ended 35-28, as I did manage to get the ball back with less than 2 minutes and no time outs left, but I was panicking and threw an interception trying to make a sideline pass to stop the clock. RGIII burned me for some sick runs too. Good game.

At least my record should easily mirror the real life Saints record this season ;-)
Posted Image

#1533 Docb9110

Docb9110

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Im thinking about putting Arian Foster up on the Block! I just have never been comfortable with him. Im looking for another top tier running back in return. I know this sounds crazy as Im wanting another running back in return but i have never been able to comfortably run with him. Anyone have any suggestions?

#1534 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Heads up, n8: We had all the injuries in our league wiped out. I'm not 100% sure what caused it, but I'm relatively certain it was transferring commish powers. So yeah.. I'd try to do so as little as possible.

Edit: Apparently it's much worse than that. This thread has a good explanation. Basically, if you start your league with pre-existing injuries off (and who doesn't?) this glitch will reset injuries all the time.

Edited by bvharris, 27 September 2012 - 03:20 PM.

33126.png

#1535 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

I (Saints) put up a really good game (easily the best I have ever played in Madden) against the Redskins last night. I actually managed to make some passes and get some TDs for once and not get blown out. The problem was, I couldn't figure out how to stop his offense and he did the same thing, lol. Game ended 35-28, as I did manage to get the ball back with less than 2 minutes and no time outs left, but I was panicking and threw an interception trying to make a sideline pass to stop the clock. RGIII burned me for some sick runs too. Good game.

At least my record should easily mirror the real life Saints record this season ;-)

Yea it was definitely a shoot out. My defense just couldn't figure out how to stop the pass even when they were in position. Jimmy Graham was tough over the middle.
ASCII stupid question... get a stupid ANSI!

#1536 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Heads up, n8: We had all the injuries in our league wiped out. I'm not 100% sure what caused it, but I'm relatively certain it was transferring commish powers. So yeah.. I'd try to do so as little as possible.

Dear God...this fucking game... Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping we won't have to do that much. I just can't even process how awful EA is anymore. I feel like I need to take a year off from their games just so I don't go completely insane.

#1537 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Dear God...this fucking game... Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping we won't have to do that much. I just can't even process how awful EA is anymore. I feel like I need to take a year off from their games just so I don't go completely insane.

This fucking game indeed.

We're considering re-starting our league, as that seems to be the only way to fix it.

33126.png

#1538 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

This fucking game indeed.

We're considering re-starting our league, as that seems to be the only way to fix it.

How exactly would that "fix it"? Has there been a patch since we both started? I can't even remember what's been fixed and what hasn't anymore. Why pay testers when they'll pay you, right?

#1539 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

How exactly would that "fix it"? Has there been a patch since we both started? I can't even remember what's been fixed and what hasn't anymore. Why pay testers when they'll pay you, right?

According to the thread I read on it, the bug is caused by starting with pre-existing injuries off (which basically every league does). So turning the setting on and leaving it on should fix the problem. Obviously I plan to test if that's true before we would restart.

But no, no patch. As far as I've seen, no acknowledgement from EA on it either. Even if they did patch it, there's no guarantee the fix would apply to pre-existing leagues.

33126.png

#1540 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

These are the things which definitely activate the glitch according to what I've read:

• Changing ANY league setting, including sliders
  • Transferring commish powers
  • A coach retiring or a new coach being added.
There might be more, but that's all I'm sure of right now.

33126.png

#1541 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

These are the things which definitely activate the glitch according to what I've read:

• Changing ANY league setting, including sliders
  • Transferring commish powers
  • A coach retiring or a new coach being added.
There might be more, but that's all I'm sure of right now.

Sweet zombie Jesus EA, do you even try any more?

#1542 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Well, we've had a couple coaches drop already...but I guess with us just being in week one, we wouldn't be able to tell about injuries. But if replacing a coach really does reset them, then we probably have no choice but to start over. We MIGHT be able to avoid commish changes, but there's basically a 100% guarantee that someone else drops at some point. Just hope a restart doesn't kill off interest (obviously all preseason games would be simmed...and you'd have 1 day to practice/cut players).

#1543 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

As a software programmer I have empathy towards game programmers because nobody really understands the complexity of the code unless you actually do it for a living. I don't even blame EA as a whole because they still put out some good games. But the guys over at EA Tiburon are coming off as completely incompetent.

#1544 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Well, we've had a couple coaches drop already...but I guess with us just being in week one, we wouldn't be able to tell about injuries. But if replacing a coach really does reset them, then we probably have no choice but to start over. We MIGHT be able to avoid commish changes, but there's basically a 100% guarantee that someone else drops at some point. Just hope a restart doesn't kill off interest (obviously all preseason games would be simmed...and you'd have 1 day to practice/cut players).

Don't jump to conclusions yet. The whole "restarting with pre-existing injuries on" is a hypothetical solution. It needs to be tested before its even considered.

#1545 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

plus if we do that jets owner wont have revis for the whole season and also cowboys owner wont have there SS church either and anyone else thats hurt for the season will be doomed like washingtons owner with orakpo

#1546 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

As a software programmer I have empathy towards game programmers because nobody really understands the complexity of the code unless you actually do it for a living. I don't even blame EA as a whole because they still put out some good games. But the guys over at EA Tiburon are coming off as completely incompetent.

I generally feel the same way since I work with many software developers and while I'm not one myself I do have an appreciation of the complexities. However, having also done a good deal of work managing QA efforts, the number of bugs in this game (hardly a new phenomenon this year) wouldn't be acceptable in any industry.

I've never been involved with a major software release which launched 100% bug free. It just doesn't happen. But the lack of polish in Madden in particular does certainly rise above standard levels, and a lot of that has to do with EA and the ridiculous pressure to put this game out every year while still making substantial changes. MS doesn't make it especially easy to patch games either, from what I understand.

The whole model is fubar, but unfortunately we keep buying it so there is no real incentive to change it.

plus if we do that jets owner wont have revis for the whole season and also cowboys owner wont have there SS church either and anyone else thats hurt for the season will be doomed like washingtons owner with orakpo

Not with the current rosters. Those guys are still in.

I'm leaning away from restarting now, but it might be a more viable option in this league since you guys have a less established owner group than we do.

33126.png

#1547 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Well, I'm mostly referring to EA Sports...because to me, they should have a higher expectation of getting things right since their games have a shorter shelf life, and for the most part, very little changes year to year. But just imagine the situation. Would your boss not care if you Fuck up the same thing year after year? Or even better, if you fix a glitch in a previous version with a patch, only to see it return in the next version you release? Because that's what we continuously get from EA. Sure, this might be a new bug, but that doesn't mean the other old bugs just cease to exist. This is just one more to throw on the pile. But just this constant idea they have that it's ok to let the paying customer be a beta tester for the first 2 months of the game's existence makes me sick. That's 17% of its life cycle. And then they want to act all pissy when people would rather wait and buy the game used. Just so out of touch with the consumer.

#1548 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Not with the current rosters. Those guys are still in.

I'm leaning away from restarting now, but it might be a more viable option in this league since you guys have a less established owner group than we do.

Yeah, I get what your saying. The thing is, even for you guys, you're going to have to watch out for someone who loses a big player to a season ending injury who then decides they want to "change their scheme". Losing your coach XP to sub might not be an attractive option, but losing it to get back a key player would be. It's just so incredibly frustrating to have to even worry about this shit. As if running a league isn't hard enough, we've gotta think up contingency plans and policies for shit that shouldn't even be a thought.

Ultimately, I'd rather not restart too. At that point, people are going to start to question if being in a league is worth the trouble. Other than the situation I described above, I almost feel like we have to view unforeseen circumstances as using a "healing card" for injuries. Again, I point out the issue with EA trying to make their games "more realistic" When it's fucked up beyond all recognition...it's no longer realistic. This is the EA way.

#1549 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, I get what your saying. The thing is, even for you guys, you're going to have to watch out for someone who loses a big player to a season ending injury who then decides they want to "change their scheme". Losing your coach XP to sub might not be an attractive option, but losing it to get back a key player would be. It's just so incredibly frustrating to have to even worry about this shit. As if running a league isn't hard enough, we've gotta think up contingency plans and policies for shit that shouldn't even be a thought.

We'll know if someone does that, coach firings and hirings are one thing that always shows up in the league twitter feed. Unlike, say, free agent signings, which sometimes show up and sometimes don't.

It'll be banned, and if someone does it the penalty will be severe.

33126.png

#1550 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

We'll know if someone does that, coach firings and hirings are one thing that always shows up in the league twitter feed. Unlike, say, free agent signings, which sometimes show up and sometimes don't.

It'll be banned, and if someone does it the penalty will be severe.

Well, yeah, I get that. But how do you handle people who actually might want to change their scheme? If they have an injury, you just don't allow it? Seems like that would be pretty limiting to owners (since injuries are fairly frequent), but it could definitely be filed under "best of a bad situation" too.

#1551 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Well, yeah, I get that. But how do you handle people who actually might want to change their scheme? If they have an injury, you just don't allow it? Seems like that would be pretty limiting to owners (since injuries are fairly frequent), but it could definitely be filed under "best of a bad situation" too.

Ask them to wait for the offseason I guess. You can still change your playbook prior to a game, so the only thing completely switching it would allow you to do was practice with the new playbook.

33126.png

#1552 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Ask them to wait for the offseason I guess. You can still change your playbook prior to a game, so the only thing completely switching it would allow you to do was practice with the new playbook.

Well, except that injuries are supposed to span from one season into the next. My God, what a clusterfuck, lol.

#1553 Docb9110

Docb9110

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

So I take it NO ONE is interested in Arian Foster?

#1554 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

Sent GibsonGamer a message yesterday and still nothing.
Posted Image

#1555 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

I am but I don't know if I have what you'd be looking for.

#1556 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

What are you looking for?
Posted Image

#1557 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Sent GibsonGamer a message yesterday and still nothing.

PM Flyersfan and see if he can play today or tomorrow. Whoever gets back to you first gets it, lol.

#1558 Hemingway012

Hemingway012

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

i just had a game online i was the vikings and he was the cowboys i ran for 266 yards with 10 att safe to say thats the best i every ran the ball.

#1559 hammurabi1337

hammurabi1337

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

The current CCM roster has a healthy Revis on it, but the Eagles would lose Jason Peters and the Patriots would lose Jeff Demps (actually, maybe restarting is a good idea lmao)
DIBS

#1560 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

I sent Flyersfan a pm.

Can anyone here answer my question I asked the other day. When i'm doing connected careers mode(offline only) the camera is set at zoom or whatever the default one is. I'll switch it to wide, then after the play is done it defaults back to zoom. It does this every single time. I'm assuming its just one of the many bugs in this game but wanted to make sure.
Posted Image