Thread already posted!

blinknot4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
A few years ago I didn't care about this, but now it is getting out of control...

People are regularly creating new threads without ever searching to see if the same deal is already posted.

Perhaps now is the time for CAG to create a non-passable, required, mandatory 'thread search' entry before anybody's actual thread gets created.

Easy to do... When creating a new thread, enter the keywords you want, like "Target", "Clearance", "Dead Island" etc - and it AUTOMATICALLY searches all created threads BEFORE allowing you to make your thread. Threads with the same keywords would appear w/ a message like "Is this the deal you are Caggin' about?" Many sites have this - perhaps the new (upcoming) CAG should, too...

When I make a new thread in here, I always search the threads 2 times before creating - No joke. Once before I create the thread (obviously) and once more just before I submit it (this is to make sure nobody has also spotted & posted the deal in the time while I was preparing my post!)

NOTE: This is obviously not a big deal if it cannot be done. I am just thinking of ways to stop threads from being created with reckless abandon.

This has been discussed previously with CheapyD and may be incorporated into the new version of CAG, as I had brought it to his attention a number of months ago.

I'm sure he'll revisit the issue again with this thread posted in here, though it's ultimately up to him and John about implementing it.

[quote name='Josh1billion']This is a great idea.

To the developers: if you want to see an excellent example of this type of system implemented, check out how Stack Overflow does it when you start typing your question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/ask[/QUOTE]

Thanks - its just getting really bad lately.

Another mildly similar example of this functionality is when using eBay. If you want to contact a seller you have to first qualify what your question is about. It will say something like 'do these details answer your question?'. You have the option to say 'nope I still want to contact this seller' - but first it puts potential answers in front of you.

bread's done
Back