CAGcast #292: An Incredible, Exceptional Podcast

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#91 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

wombat was so dead on about the iphone/3ds thing. Iphone games are the dollar menu at mcdonalds. 3ds/psp/vita games are actual meals. Both get the job done but one provides a more rewarding experience.

qfmft

I'm an IPhone owner and even though I bought a bunch of games on sale for $1 each (board games published by EA, Angry Birds, etc.) if I want to play a GAME, I'll bust out my PSP. I view IPhone games a step or 2 above Facebook games, call me a hipster if you want.

Worst IPhone game experience? Trying Oregon Trail again recently after all the updates made the game IMPOSSIBLE to beat unless you spend real money on items. 2nd worst experience: Slogging through the original ME IPhone game (the one that introduced Jacob and Miranda) promising unlocks for ME 2, and all it did was open 1 extra dialog tree line in ME 2 when talking to Jacob.

Best experiences: the OG version of Oregon Trail from like 2009 when there weren't extra add-ons to buy, and the Ben Stein trivia game.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#92 west goat

west goat

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

CheapyD, thank you for not succumbing to the Wombat Abyss™. I wanted to kill myself every time Wombat spoke during that conversation.
If you haven't resisted I wouldn't be here right now.

#93 fuerstma

fuerstma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

57:45 Gabe Newell's anti-Win8 stance

Newell doesn't like Win8 because the built in Win8 app store will compete with Steam. I don't understand his comments about losing OEMs, perhaps he's just exaggerating that for effect.

Specific to OEM's, I believe Gabe is talking about the "bait and switch" that Microsoft has pulled with respect to the Microsoft Surface tablet. It's been fairly widely reported (a recent article is here http://www.zdnet.com...ght-7000001750/) that vendors are not only pissed at Microsoft in regards to Surface, but they are fundamentally changing their plans and relationship with Microsoft.

My understanding is that before the announcement and launch of Microsoft Surface, Microsoft was working with their vendors to encourage them to produce Windows 8 tablets. Then, Microsoft more or less shanghaied their vendors (partners) by announcing they too were producing a tablet device. And a really good one, as well.

So now Microsoft is in direct competition with their own partners. I believe that at this point, Microsoft's Surface is going to be the only Win8 tablet since everyone else more or less dropped out of the game, losing a lot of money in the process.

This is a pretty monumental shift for Microsoft. As that ZDNet article above states, Microsoft in their own yearly 10K, admit that they more or less are moving into producing hardware products to distribute themselves.

It's a bit of a stretch to jump to "HP is going to stop making desktop/server Windows PC's because Microsoft screwed them over on tablets", but it is far from an impossibility.

All that said, Gabe probably knows more than you and I can deduce from reading publically filed IRS documents and reading press releases, so maybe the situation is even worse for vendors than we know.

#94 mbeasley82

mbeasley82

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

I had no idea that "Cheapy" was actually a 1%er. First he claims $1,000 is not much money (not talking about relating it to a product because that's not how he phrased it) but I guarantee most of the people who use CAG do not feel the same way.Then somebody ask his advice on a burger hoping for a locals only or hidden gem & he recommends a $35 HAMBURGER!!! Not to mention that he brings is own foosballs with him because the "house" brand of balls is not up to his high standards which I guess is ok if he didn't play anyone except for his 4 YEAR OLD son.Cheapy has lost touch with his people.Cheapy you need to look into changing your name.Still love the site & show.

Edited by mbeasley82, 31 July 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#95 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Unfortunately VentrureBeat really dropped the ball in their interview with Newell by failing to followup on his comments. But, Newell is known to cry that the sky is falling before (like stating the PS3 is "total disaster on so many levels"), so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

#96 chaseamazon

chaseamazon

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

It seems like the 8-4 cast weren't, interested in anything you had to say. They are just Nintendo shills and their opinions should not be respected at all.

With all the shit you talk about your pc have you completed any games that you have purchased for it? Like diablo 3? Doubtful.

#97 eataburger

eataburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I had no idea that "Cheapy" was actually a 1%er. First he claims $1,000 is not much money (not talking about relating it to a product because that's not how he phrased it) but I guarantee most of the people who use CAG do not feel the same way.Then somebody ask his advice on a burger hoping for a locals only or hidden gem & he recommends a $35 HAMBURGER!!! Not to mention that he brings is own foosballs with him because the "house" brand of balls is not up to his high standards which I guess is ok if he didn't play anyone except for his 4 YEAR OLD son.Cheapy has lost touch with his people.Cheapy you need to look into changing your name.Still love the site & show.

It used to drive me nuts that on a podcast called "cheapass gamer" Cheapy would go on about buying some big expensive gadget/home theatre/vacation/furniture... but whatever, it's more of a lifestyle show with 3 good guys who interact well with each other who share a love of games than a real discussion about gaming on a tight budget and overall the podcast is excellent.

The "cheapass" gimmick is all about the ad revenues. Enjoy the show for what it is.

#98 sabin1001

sabin1001

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

Just wanted to say that regarding the Foosball 2012 review code, I know for a fact that the PR people recommended that you get a code (I know the person involved with PR on that game and made sure they realized you were psyched about it coming out). Sadly, they don't get to control that part, though. That's up to marketing and/or Sony.

#99 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

Likewise, on average, 3DS game prices are 20x to 30x the price of smartphone games. :)

1. The average Iphone game is crap that daydreams about being shovelware. People want to play good games(or atleast not unpopular garbage). Most good Iphone games(good based on metacritic scores) cost $3-5. Where as good 3ds games can be had for $15-32 on amazon.

2. The average 3ds game has 20-30 times the depth of the average iPhone game(and that's probably being generous to the Iphone games). While on the other hand a $600-$800 Iphone is not 6-8 times better than many of the $100 smart phones out there.

3. While many of the 3DS games are only available on that platform, many of Iphone games are available other platforms, many times in addition to being better versions, they are free on other plat forms.

Also as for the Iphone being a computer in you pocket, that is a reach. I don't think most people would want to take notes, write papers, do taxes, archive photos, documents and personal data, edit media, ect... solely on any smart phone. Also the best Iphone has about half the power of a $25 computer of similar size.

A more accurate statement would be it is access to the internet most places you go, in your pocket. Though as many devices do that, and don't think the Iphone was the first, I wouldn't call that exceptional.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#100 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Foosball is not that complicated. . . once you learn that you can't spin the rods willy nilly you pretty much know everything you need to know. It's not chess.

#101 portland485

portland485

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hey guys love the show, and generally I find that each of you (Wombat, CheapyD, Shipwreck) has game reccommendations that align with my tastes from time to time (been listening since episode 1)

But this show made me realize that sometimes Wombat is the only reason I keep listening. His views on games just seem way more rational and reasonable, despite cheapy describing them as the wombat abyss. Cheapy has become far too entrenched in the Mac Cult and Shipwreck's gaming habits are often way to OCD like for me. Cheapy and Shipwreck have great reccommendations some of the time, but when each of you falls short, Wombat keeps the show a float. Wombat ftw!

Cheapy was in fact a cheap ass before he started cheapassgamer.com or in its infancy (listen to early cagcasts), now he can afford to be less cheap :P

I'm pretty sure that 7 years ago a $1000 was about as cheap as laptops went, netbooks didn't exist back then really

Edited by CheapyD, 02 August 2012 - 12:00 AM.
Please just edit your previous posts rather than creating consecutive posts. Thanks!

A little place called Aspen.... where the beer flows like wine and the women flock instinctively like the salmon of the Capistrana.

#102 WalkinPneumonia

WalkinPneumonia

Professional Cheap @$$

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'd like the Vita Foosball if any are left..
Posted Image

#103 Kaneco

Kaneco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hey guys!

Can someone show me where to find the CAGCast #292's intro song? I can't find it anywhere....

Is it on iTunes?

#104 Cheshire Wolf

Cheshire Wolf

CAG BALLER!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

Cheapy was in fact a cheap ass before he started cheapassgamer.com or in its infancy (listen to early cagcasts), now he can afford to be less cheap :P

Yet still cries when he doesn't get a Foosball 2012 code, and has to throw down a stunning 6.99 on it. XD
Can a young Fuck get money anymore? - Kanye West