Photo
- - - - -

Old thread, link to new thread in first/last posts.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3978 replies to this topic

#61 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hold it until Black Friday and pick up console bundles to resell to soccer moms. Works like a charm.

specifically the wii u.

#62 @FIF

@FIF

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

To JP and all of those who have contributed and continue to contribute to this thread, thanks a lot guys! :applause:

I don't understand why GameStop just doesn't have a page on their website (like Best Buy does for instance) that states their TIVs. I mean TIVs are supposed to be the same for all branches, right? By not disclosing it to the public on their site, it gives shady GS managers/employees the opportunity to screw over unwitting customers!

Not publishing trade in values gives them an opportunity to screw unwitting customers who walk into a store with a pile of games. The system spits out lot TIV's and the guy who schlepped all his crap down has to decide whether it's worth biting on lowballs or taking it elsewhere. The trip out and time invested have value and induce people to take trades they'd never consider if they could crunch the numbers before going to the store.

#63 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Not publishing trade in values gives them an opportunity to screw unwitting customers who walk into a store with a pile of games. The system spits out lot TIV's and the guy who schlepped all his crap down has to decide whether it's worth biting on lowballs or taking it elsewhere. The trip out and time invested have value and induce people to take trades they'd never consider if they could crunch the numbers before going to the store.

this essentially gamestop lives if i had to guess solely off of the 10-16 year old market of going to gamestop with mom with a pile of trade ins for the newest game because mom says i cant afford new games. so sell your old ones. but mom might be able to afford say 20-30 dollars but not 65 after tax. and gamestop lives off of this because well....used games at poor trade in values with no promos = big turn around.

like it or not gamestop doesnt survive off the older smarter gamer but rather the 12 year that desperately wants the latest title but has no money so must sell sell sell. and most teenagers have 0 impulse control. most adults probably dont have much better impulse control but we can at least use logic....well some of us can. teens have no logic. and clearly given the size of gamestop and the amount of money they make they have trade in's down to a fine science.

of course i have seen this above logic fall out the window a lot of time as i have seen grown adults take cash at gamestop from trade in's. so there are also plenty of stupid adults feeding the system too. i seriously cant beleive it anytime i see that. but im not going to stop them as i rather enjoy gamestops existence.

at least me and my friends at that age traded in games CONSTANTLY for the newest ones. now not so much. and if i do its during a trade in promo.

#64 io

io

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hold it until Black Friday and pick up console bundles to resell to soccer moms. Works like a charm.

specifically the wii u.

No, stay away from that! I'm hoping the Wii U preorders are much easier to get than the Wii ones so no one needs to hoard those, please ;). With all the credit I've gotten at GS recently I absolutely have to get my Wii U there so I don't have to shell out real money anywhere else.

But if you all remember, there were people camped out overnight just to get preorders for the Wii. I seriously hope that does not happen again.

#65 KirbyLovesTacos

KirbyLovesTacos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

specifically the wii u.

All signs pointing at the Wii U not being a budget console. Bad bad idea imo. There's going to be plenty of them I'm sure of it.

#66 kayne2000

kayne2000

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

No, stay away from that! I'm hoping the Wii U preorders are much easier to get than the Wii ones so no one needs to hoard those, please ;). With all the credit I've gotten at GS recently I absolutely have to get my Wii U there so I don't have to shell out real money anywhere else.

But if you all remember, there were people camped out overnight just to get preorders for the Wii. I seriously hope that does not happen again.

i remeber that preordering the wii. i called in work and said i had to take my dog to the vet ill be late that morning LOL. though it wasnt as bad as i heard it was in other places i only had to get up at like 7 or 8 that morning so a 2-3 hour wait isnt too terrible. though i remeber some mom throwing a massive fit that she could only preorder 1. yea it would be nice if this console doesnt dissappear off the shelves for 3 years.

All signs pointing at the Wii U not being a budget console. Bad bad idea imo. There's going to be plenty of them I'm sure of it.

we shall see. im personally not banking on the wiiu being above 300. but i could be wrong nintendos specs might just be mind blowing.

#67 dominator

dominator

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Damn, should've gone ahead and traded in my vanilla GTAIV. Oh well.

TapouT545.pngTapouT32.jpg

126410.png

#68 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

This may be a silly question, but does the Gamestock +15%TIV email coupon stack with either of the +30% promos?

I know promo-bonuses don't stack, but I figured I would ask since I'm used to being able to use the various PUR coupons when there are automatic discounts/sales, and since it's a coupon working with said automatic bonus....you get the picture.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: Netflix

:360: GTAV ; Metal Gear Rising
:pc: Red Faction

:wii: n/a

:ds: Found my DS!

#69 jooksingjie

jooksingjie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

This may be a silly question, but does the Gamestock +15%TIV email coupon stack with either of the +30% promos?

I know promo-bonuses don't stack, but I figured I would ask since I'm used to being able to use the various PUR coupons when there are automatic discounts/sales, and since it's a coupon working with said automatic bonus....you get the picture.

didn't work for $5 bonus yesterday...

#70 littledude702

littledude702

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Phone Quotes from Today

:ps3: Major League Baseball 2k12- $18
:ps3: NBA 2k12- $13

#71 outkastx

outkastx

Deals R Us

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

When I was trading in games yesterday, I was told by the manager that an email came across detailing the Gamestock Week 5 or 6 (not sure which), but there is a 2 day Buy a used game get 50% trade in bonus coming up. Just an fyi.

#72 JP

JP

Proud member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Updated lists and database. Also changed the layout of the lists. 2nd post now contains games for Microsoft devices. 3rd post now contains games for Nintendo devices. 4th post now contains games for Sony devices.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#73 bilbobagins3

bilbobagins3

HHH Buries Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Just throwing in my 2 cents, I think the posts should go

Current Gen Consoles
:360:
:ps3:
:wii:

Current Gen Handhelds
:3ds:
Vita

Last Gen Systems
:ds:
:psp:
:ps2:

#74 ohboy10451

ohboy10451

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

would the 30% bonus work if applied to a used console (psp 2000/GO) ?

?

WakaBrea.png

#75 JP

JP

Proud member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Just throwing in my 2 cents, I think the posts should go

Current Gen Consoles

Current Gen Handhelds
:3ds:
Vita

Last Gen Systems
:ds:
:psp:
:ps2:

The main problem with that setup is that I'm constantly running into character limit on the current gen consoles post. That is the main reason for the redesign. I had to resort to taking out spaces in some listings just to keep it from hitting limit. I had long ago taken out the formatting of the post as a stop gap to the character limits.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#76 mrclutch

mrclutch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Updated lists and database. Also changed the layout of the lists. 2nd post now contains games for Microsoft devices. 3rd post now contains games for Nintendo devices. 4th post now contains games for Sony devices.

Thanks for all the hard work. You are the man!

#77 JediKiller24

JediKiller24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'll let you know if this works but I read that if you preorder a game using credit and go back and cancel it they give you cash back. I preordered Hitman today and will go cancel it tomorrow and let you know.

No, this does not work. The computer knows that you used trade in credit for the preorder, and will only give back store credit. (Well, that's how it's supposed to work...you may get an employee that doesn't care) not to mention the grief you'll get over cancelling a preorder....

#78 littledude702

littledude702

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

No, this does not work. The computer knows that you used trade in credit for the preorder, and will only give back store credit. (Well, that's how it's supposed to work...you may get an employee that doesn't care) not to mention the grief you'll get over cancelling a preorder....

I should have said YMMV. I have been offered the choice of cash or credit before when cancelling preorders so I guess it just depends on the employee. As for the grief I just say I found it for a better price and that usually shuts them up. Or I just firmly but nicely say no.

#79 Dmonrei

Dmonrei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

A little late in reporting TiV values (I had about 20 values that don't matter anymore since there are newer updates now)

7/25
Splatterhouse: $4

PS3
Castlevania LoS: $4
Darksiders: $6.50
Just Case 2: $8

#80 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Nice! a new thread!

#81 maxiell

maxiell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

7/27

Infamous 2 $11
:360:Assassin's Creed Revelations $15

Edited by maxiell, 27 July 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#82 mitemouse

mitemouse

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

Any free shipping promos for gamestop?

#83 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

sweet. it looks like you can still get close to $20 for ass creed rev if you use the 30%+10% for pur. maybe i'll go trade in a few more copies later.

#84 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

May be a little known secret, but a GS store can give you a free shipping code if they can't find a game for you in your local area and it's available online.

#85 hatback

hatback

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

SAVESHIPPING

"Free Value Shipping on in-stock game and accessory purchases of $49.99 or more. Excludes handhelds, game consoles an laptops. Other Restrictions may apply. Expires 8/6."

That's the only one I know of.

#86 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

sweet. it looks like you can still get close to $20 for ass creed rev if you use the 30%+10% for pur. maybe i'll go trade in a few more copies later.

I may be bad at math but at $15 base isn't the amount $21?

$15 + $4.50 + $1.50 = $21 ($0.60 more than you got on Wed, $0.50 less than yesterday with the $5.00 promo)

That would be over $20 in reality.

#87 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

I may be bad at math but at $15 base isn't the amount $21?

$15 + $4.50 + $1.50 = $21 ($0.60 more than you got on Wed, $0.50 less than yesterday with the $5.00 promo)

That would be over $20 in reality.

you are right, you have to remember not every "trader" here graduated high school here, LOL

#88 Lonsta

Lonsta

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Base TIV for 7/26/12

Battlefield 3 - $14
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - $15
Call of Duty - World At War - $6
Cursed Crusade, The - $5
DanceMasters - $3.50
Driver San Francisco - $8
Eternal Sonata - $5
Halo Combat Evolved Ann. - $15
Madden NFL 12 - $4
Mass Effect 3 - $12
Midnight Club: LA Complete Edition - $7
Need For Speed: The Run - $11
Price is Right Decades - $8
Shadows of the Damned - $5.50
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - $7
SoulCalibur V - $11
Witcher 2 - $17

3D Dot Heroes - $2.50
Bakugan - $1
Harry Potter Deathly Hallow Part 1 - $3
Heavy Rain - $6
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm - $3.50
Rayman Origins - $6
Red Faction: Armageddon - $1.50
Supremacy MMA - $3

Call of Duty Black Ops - $15
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 - $14
Deal or No Deal - $2.50
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - $7
Mario & Sonic: Olympic Games - $8
New Super Mario Bros - $15
Sonic and the Secret Rings - $5
Super Mario Galaxy - $8
Super Smash Bros. Bawl - $11

Also I am going start calling some GS's in my free time soon to start getting quotes on Xbox 360 games that haven't been updated in 2+ years. I love helping this thread :D (if you haven't been able to tell by now)

#89 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

damn need for speed the run actually went up

#90 major morgan

major morgan

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Phone Quote 7/27:
:360: MLB 2k12 - $21 (no change, but TIV in OP was from 7/9)