Photo
- - - - -

Old thread, link to new thread in first/last posts.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3978 replies to this topic

#2011 TheWildMoose

TheWildMoose

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

I traded my 3DS last week.

fuuuu.

#2012 TheCollegeGamer

TheCollegeGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

Hmm, might be the right time to trade in that DS Lite. Can't imagine getting more than $40 for it, and with my new 3DS XL and my old GBA I don't really need it. Would be good to have if I get Pokemon White 2 though, I guess, so I can trade and transfer between my old games and the new one. Hmm...

#2013 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

What's the refurb fee for trading in a DS lite that is missing the GBA slot filler and/or stylus?

#2014 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

What's the refurb fee for trading in a DS lite that is missing the GBA slot filler and/or stylus?

You need to have a stylus to trade in, so you'd have to buy one.

Cognitive Dissonance: Wanna join my Call of Duty 4 clan?
Me: Who are you?
Cognitive Dissonance: You ask too many questions. Never mind. You're out.

#2015 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Is $30 for a PS2 a good deal? It seems decent...

I was thinking this too, I might go for it actually.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#2016 io

io

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

So is that for any PS3 model? (Edit: yes, any model according to the GS trade-in promo page). I have a phat 160GB that I wouldn't mind upgrading to the super-slim. If I can get $135 for it that's not too bad. But then you probably have to trade a controller with that, right? That right there is worth $42 on its own (with the 30% promo) so really the PS3 is only worth $93.

#2017 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

do you go trading between gs and bb like everyday or something? lol

Not sure what that has to do with the Wii Trade price?

#2018 Ashlee

Ashlee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

Double post sorry.

#2019 Ashlee

Ashlee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Guys I want to trade in my old fat PS3, but I have some questions, could you help me please so tomorrow I can go to Gamestop?
My questions are:

1. Do I need the box? (I am not sure if I still have it since I have had the console for about 3 years).

2. The controller needs to have a visible bar code? I have 4 controllers and even the newest one has the bar code erased (not visible). I guess it happens to all controllers.

2a. Does it need to be in good condition? I have four and all of them work, but the L3 in one of them does not work, Do you know if Gamestop would take it?

3.Do I need to give them my HDMI cable or the one with the three colors is fine? (I still have that cable I can't believe it!)

4. Can I trade it in for a PS3 Slim?

5. Do you recommend me trading it in for the PS3 super slim instead? (If yes, please tell me why).

Thanks,

Ashlee.

#2020 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

1. No.
2. YMMV.
2a. Yes. GS does not accept broken controllers.
3. VGA cables (RWY)
4. Yes, you pay the difference.
5. Up to you.
6. Dont use black text against black background.

#2021 Ashlee

Ashlee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

1. No.
2. YMMV.
2a. Yes. GS does not accept broken controllers.
3. VGA cables (RWY)
4. Yes, you pay the difference.
5. Up to you.
6. Dont use black text against black background.

I'm sorry I'm using an iPod, I have difficulties when posting. What does YMMV mean? and thank you for answering so fast :)

#2022 247

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Your mileage may vary

#2023 Ashlee

Ashlee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

Your mileage may vary

It means yes? no? maybe? :(

Don't write in black text! c:

#2024 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

It means yes? no? maybe? :(

Don't write in black text! c:

Yes, might or might not take it.

#2025 io

io

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

2. The controller needs to have a visible bar code? I have 4 controllers and even the newest one has the bar code erased (not visible). I guess it happens to all controllers.

I noticed that all of my Dual Shock 3's had very faded bar codes. I now put scotch tape over those so they don't get rubbed off. I would suggest all PS3 owners do that since GS had (and still has) that $42 trade-in deal for them ($30 + PUR + 30% with certain preorders) and it would probably be a good idea to keep those barcodes intact going forward. Mine were nearly completely faded but they still took them. They even took one where the entire label (that bar code is actually just a sticker) came off and I had just retaped it back on. I'm glad I saw it in the middle of the carpet one day when the kids were playing. Needless to say that was our most abused controller so I traded it in (still worked just fine of course).

3.Do I need to give them my HDMI cable or the one with the three colors is fine? (I still have that cable I can't believe it!)

Hah - thanks for mentioning this. I'm sure I would have forgotten the cable. I didn't even remember it coming with a cable but I'm sure it is still in the box.

4. Can I trade it in for a PS3 Slim?

5. Do you recommend me trading it in for the PS3 super slim instead? (If yes, please tell me why).

Well, I plan to do the trade for the super slim. One reason is that you get $10 extra for the trade-in that way ($135 instead of $125). And you might as well get the latest and greatest. In that case, the trade-in covers exactly half the new system price. That isn't too bad since you will get a brand new controller to replace a (presumably) old one, the newer system with (also, presumably) more storage space, and Uncharted 3 Game of the Year Edition. I wouldn't trade my newer slim in for that deal, but the older one, sure. From what I understand the fat PS3's have some reliability issues (not anything like original 360 models of course). Plus the thing is a freaking furnace - it would be nice to have somethimg with less heat output (and less power usage).

The only problem is that you cannot do a system transfer if you trade one for the other. The way I understand it, you need to have them connected via an Ethernet cable (this is what the on screen instructions told me when I selected the transfer option). Tonight I did a "backup" of my fat system, but non-copyable saves will not be moved that way from what I understand if you restore to a new system (however, that is the method to use if you are upgrading the HD like I did on my other PS3).

I have PS+ so it isn't an issue for me (though I will have to see if I can upload my Afrika save as it was too big to upload before but I think they increased the online storage just recently). However my son has several locked saves for games he is currently playing like Fat Princess and Monopoly Streets. So since I can't do the system transfer properly (as I need to turn in the old system to get the new one) I guess I'll have to spring for a temporary PS+ membership for him. I was hoping they sold 1 month but apparently not and $18 for a 3-month is overkill. I know there are 1-month codes out there - anyone here have one I could buy/trade for? $18 just seems like a lot to keep a few game saves for a 9 year-old ;).

Damn - just read that the new system has a 30-day trial (ie, a one-month code) for PS+ included. If only I could get that before I traded for it ;). So, yeah, if anyone has one of those already I could borrow that and then give them the one I get with the new system. Anyone?

#2026 Byakurai

Byakurai

CAG Busta

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

I thought you could do a system transfer via backup/restoring to a portable hard drive?

#2027 FlipSide

FlipSide

Made in the Philippines

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

I thought you could do a system transfer via backup/restoring to a portable hard drive?

The only problem is that you cannot do a system transfer if you trade one for the other. The way I understand it, you need to have them connected via an Ethernet cable (this is what the on screen instructions told me when I selected the transfer option). Tonight I did a "backup" of my fat system, but non-copyable saves will not be moved that way from what I understand if you restore to a new system (however, that is the method to use if you are upgrading the HD like I did on my other PS3).

Locked saves can only be moves via ethernet cable method.
Posted Image

#2028 Oi Stino

Oi Stino

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi, will the 30% power trade apply to these system trade in values? Thanks.

#2029 DealSeeker2U

DealSeeker2U

Seize the deal!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

Quick questions.

Is the vita trade in deal any good ($100 for vita)?
Does it give me the same value regardless of the model (I have the 3g / wifi model)?
Do I need just the vita and the AC/adapter for trade in (did not see it listed in JPs FAQ)?
Do I get an extra 30% power trade bonus for preordering a select game?

Thanks.

#2030 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Quick questions.

Does it give me the same value regardless of the model (I have the 3g / wifi model)?
Do I need just the vita and the AC/adapter for trade in (did not see it listed in JPs FAQ)?

Thanks.

I'd think that $100 is pretty insulting, unless you'll sell it to me for $100, then it's a good deal. I doubt the 30% bonus works, since this trade value bump seems to be a promo itself, and as we know, promos don't stack.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#2031 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

well the thing one must consider when gamestop considers TIV especially for systems is im sure they get a ton of systems that can play for 20 minutes and then crash or other jerry rigged systems. you know so they have to probably factor that into it plus convience so maybe 100 dollars isnt a lot but for every good vita they get they probably get 5 half way beat up ones and 4 that either dont work at all and have to be refurbished or work for 15 minutes and then crash thus resulting in a customer buying it thinking it is good coming back an hour later and raising hell.

#2032 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:31 PM

Quick questions.

Thanks.

Put it up on Craigslist. Depending on your price point, you will get responses quick.

Bought mine for 162, 4gb included, wi fi only. Sold it for $180 with just the 4gb after owning it for about 5 months and getting some good use out of it. I decided to just put that money towards the Wii U.

#2033 Eggplant_Wizard

Eggplant_Wizard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Are 360 controllers still up there?

#2034 DealSeeker2U

DealSeeker2U

Seize the deal!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

I'd think that $100 is pretty insulting, unless you'll sell it to me for $100, then it's a good deal. I doubt the 30% bonus works, since this trade value bump seems to be a promo itself, and as we know, promos don't stack.

Put it up on Craigslist. Depending on your price point, you will get responses quick.

Bought mine for 162, 4gb included, wi fi only. Sold it for $180 with just the 4gb after owning it for about 5 months and getting some good use out of it. I decided to just put that money towards the Wii U.

Thanks guys, I will keep mine around for a bit. I have really no use for 3g so I was thinking of jumping on the Assassins Creed wifi bundle. That is is why I asked. Any places giving good trade in value for them other than putting it up on Craigslist (last resort)?

#2035 GMneku

GMneku

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

Trade at GameStop. 26 SEP 2012

Nintendo DS
Picross 3D - $1.50

Nintendo 3DS
Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 3D - $12

PS3
Asura's Wrath - $13
No More Heroes : Heroes Paradise - $7.50
Record of Agarest War Zero - $5
White Knight Chronicles - $2.50
White Knight Chronicles II - $5
Yakuza 3 - $4
Yakuza 4 - $7

#2036 Ashlee

Ashlee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

Guys good news. I just traded in my old fat PS3 today and I got $125 (I thought it was $115 because the offer says that). Anyway I went to my local Gamestop first and they wanted to give me about $80 because the sticker was faded on the controller, and also because Gamestop needs a fee to polish the consoles and clean them (seriously? That's more of their businnes not mine, I thought). Then I decided to go to other Gamestop located inside a mall, and they were more generous and gave me $125 for it, and they accepted my controller with a very faded bar code, so if that is your concern you can try it too =)

It seems that something like if they pay you less then the employees gets paid more? or get a fee or something? That's why one offers less than others when trading in? I don't know but try at different Gamestops if you are having problems with your local one too, cheers! :D

#2037 Turk February

Turk February

Formerly Carlos Danger. Formerly TurkFebruary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

Guys good news. I just traded in my old fat PS3 today and I got $125 (I thought it was $115 because the offer says that). Anyway I went to my local Gamestop first and they wanted to give me about $80 because the sticker was faded on the controller, and also because Gamestop needs a fee to polish the consoles and clean them (seriously? That's more of their businnes not mine, I thought). Then I decided to go to other Gamestop located inside a mall, and they were more generous and gave me $125 for it, and they accepted my controller with a very faded bar code, so if that is your concern you can try it too =)

It seems that something like if they pay you less then the employees gets paid more? or get a fee or something? That's why one offers less than others when trading in? I don't know but try at different Gamestops if you are having problems with your local one too, cheers! :D

The problem is the employee/manager who waited on you. Some are complete nazis when it comes to 'company policy" while (most) others are more willing to work with you because they know how ridiculous it is!

treadmill-50cent-o.gif

Selling: Murdered; Soul Suspect digital strategy map (PS4) A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas (UV from blu-ray)

Want: Paypal

TurkFebruary2010.png

#2038 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

The problem is the employee/manager who waited on you. Some are complete nazis when it comes to 'company policy" while (most) others are more willing to work with you because they know how ridiculous it is!

Earlier this year when I was at GS, the kid in front of me was in there buying a used PS3, and it had a GIANT UGLY (and scratched to shit) TapOut sticker that completely covered the top of it. So not only did they take it in that way, they tried selling it that way, so each store is clearly YMMV.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life Charity 24-Hour Marathon!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata  JUST ADDED:  A progressive raffle!  The more donations received, the more prizes that are added! Check out my Twitch page for info! 

#2039 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

Earlier this year when I was at GS, the kid in front of me was in there buying a used PS3, and it had a GIANT UGLY (and scratched to shit) TapOut sticker that completely covered the top of it. So not only did they take it in that way, they tried selling it that way, so each store is clearly YMMV.

Now I want to start a lucrative business where I sell t-shirt-shaped Tapout decals for consoles.

#2040 Ashlee

Ashlee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

Oh actually they are giving $125 for any PS3 model (I thought I got $10 extra haha). I remember that the female employee from my local Gamestop said that the special offer was $117, but that she was going to give me about $80 because of the console's condition (actually it was in good condition). So yeah, if there is a nice person probably you will get $125 too, try different Gamestops if not, so go upgrade your PS3 or trade in those unused consoles :bouncy: