Photo
- - - - -

Old thread, link to new thread in first/last posts.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3978 replies to this topic

#2221 PublikDefender

PublikDefender

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

I'm gonna trade in a ps3 slim 120gb but I'd like to know the minimum requirements so that I don't trade in anything extra by accident.

Is this everything I need?
1. ps3 slim 120 gb
2. component cables
3. ac power cable

Or, do I also need to trade in a dualshock 3? If I need to trade in a controller, do I also need to trade in the micro to reg usb charger cable or can I get away with just the controller?

#2222 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

I'm gonna trade in a ps3 slim 120gb but I'd like to know the minimum requirements so that I don't trade in anything extra by accident.

Is this everything I need?
1. ps3 slim 120 gb
2. component cables
3. ac power cable

Or, do I also need to trade in a dualshock 3? If I need to trade in a controller, do I also need to trade in the micro to reg usb charger cable or can I get away with just the controller?

You need both the DS3 + charge cable.

Cognitive Dissonance: Wanna join my Call of Duty 4 clan?
Me: Who are you?
Cognitive Dissonance: You ask too many questions. Never mind. You're out.

#2223 doreo503

doreo503

Bearsona...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

Will they accept my ps3 trade if I don't have the component cables? I would like to trade in my ps3 but I dorm on my college campus and don't feel like driving back home to get my component cables.

#2224 righteousalive

righteousalive

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Will they accept my ps3 trade if I don't have the component cables? I would like to trade in my ps3 but I dorm on my college campus and don't feel like driving back home to get my component cables.

Nope you'll need the component cables. If not you'll be charged a refurb fee and wont qualify for the bonus. I made the mistake of only taking my HDMI cable and had to turn back.

#2225 io

io

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Wait, so I can trade in an old white 360 without an HDD for $110 after the extra 100%? Gamestop only stands to profit $20 after that sale. I doubt I could even sell it for that much on Craigslist or something.

EDIT: And I can trade in my 160GB PS3 Slim for $190? $80 more and I can buy the new 250GB Slim Slim with Uncharted 3 for $80 more. This doesn't seem very GameStop-y.

Yeah, there is a lot of irrational hate for Gamestop on CAG but they do have deals like this occasionally. I was actually pretty happy with the $135 I got for my old PS3 on Sunday but then they went and bumped that to $180 (and luckily gave me the difference after the fact), But yes, you can get $110 for the old 360 and $190 for that slim 160GB PS3. I bought the 250GB UC3 bundle myself. FWIW, they sell the 160GB fat PS3 I traded (for $180) for $220 - so, yeah, not too much profit there. But maybe they count on being able to sell a warranty with it as well. But that's why I thought $135 was a decent price. Even $135->$220 is not all that much profit given overhead and such.

Nope you'll need the component cables. If not you'll be charged a refurb fee and wont qualify for the bonus. I made the mistake of only taking my HDMI cable and had to turn back.

Just a minor correction - they aren't component cables. They are composite cables - as in the old-style yellow (video) and red/white (audio) low-fidelity standard def cables. Component would be for (pre-HDMI) HD. You can buy PS3 composite cables from GS for $7.99 used (or $9.99 new) if you want to complete the package for trade-in. Or if you are buying the new super-slim 250GB UC3 bundle, maybe they will be OK with taking the composite cables out of that box to apply to your trade-in. I can confirm that the new bundle still includes the same crappy, useless composite cables that all PS3s come with ;).

#2226 buckythekat

buckythekat

dv8 King of Concerns

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think I'll trade my 320GB slim 360 hard drive in and put it towards Dishonored for the whole 30% trade bonus

that will be a nice bump up from the base $55

#2227 nightmarishhero

nightmarishhero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

I thought i read somewhere on here, couldn't find the post to confirm it, that Gamestop would accept any ps3 controller with a ps3 trade in, even a cheap gamestop wired ps3 controller. Anyone know for certain?

found it in th 100% bonus thread post #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfly Posted Image
Considering PS3s were never sold with a wired controller (not the case for 360) I doubt they'd give you the same TIV.

I traded with a wired controller and it is the same value, they require a working controller, no brand specific or even original sony brand.

If its a dualshock it needs the usb cable, for a wired one just the controller.

Edited by nightmarishhero, 03 October 2012 - 11:01 AM.
found answer to question in post

#2228 FEN1XD0WN

FEN1XD0WN

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

anyone know TIV on persona 3, persona 3 FES and persona 4 for PS2?

#2229 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

My 80 gb fat PS3 went for 90 base last night if that helps anyone.

#2230 JaTaN

JaTaN

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

I was thinking of trading in my 4 y/o 80GB phat PS3 for $180 and waiting til Black Friday to buy a new PS3 (GS had a $200 PS3 deal last year so I'm hoping for a $200-$230 deal this year)

If I want to hold on to the $180 as trade in credit, do I need to get the $15 pro membership or can I just get the free one? My state doesn't tax on trade in credit so I want to make sure the $180 stays tax free for a future purchase (I know if I have them put it on a gift card then I'll be hit with tax later on)

Also have a 4GB phat 360 arcade that I usually play on, but not sure if the $110 credit is worth it for that -- if I wait til Thanksgiving then I'll be without a console for 2 months but a $40 upgrade would be nice (GS had a $150 Xbox deal last year so hoping for something similar)

#2231 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

anyone know TIV on persona 3, persona 3 FES and persona 4 for PS2?

They're only a few bucks each (about $3-$5 each I think) so you're much better off selling them online unless you need them to have 7 games or something.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#2232 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

I was thinking of trading in my 4 y/o 80GB phat PS3 for $180 and waiting til Black Friday to buy a new PS3 (GS had a $200 PS3 deal last year so I'm hoping for a $200-$230 deal this year)

If I want to hold on to the $180 as trade in credit, do I need to get the $15 pro membership or can I just get the free one? My state doesn't tax on trade in credit so I want to make sure the $180 stays tax free for a future purchase (I know if I have them put it on a gift card then I'll be hit with tax later on)

Also have a 4GB phat 360 arcade that I usually play on, but not sure if the $110 credit is worth it for that -- if I wait til Thanksgiving then I'll be without a console for 2 months but a $40 upgrade would be nice (GS had a $150 Xbox deal last year so hoping for something similar)

You just need the free membership.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#2233 timmylamb

timmylamb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

So am I reading this wrong or is the guy at GS being douchy? On the 30% extra trade in towards pre order game, it says 'items' but the guy said its just games...he wouldnt even look at the system for me since my trade was processed when I went in the other day. So is it just games or can you trade in accessories as well for the extra 30%?

#2234 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

So am I reading this wrong or is the guy at GS being douchy? On the 30% extra trade in towards pre order game, it says 'items' but the guy said its just games...he wouldnt even look at the system for me since my trade was processed when I went in the other day. So is it just games or can you trade in accessories as well for the extra 30%?

The power trade 30% is supposed to include everything. There was a promo code posted a week or so ago. I will try to find it again. They had to find the barcode in some marketing pack at my GS.
Posted Image

#2235 DCpinoy

DCpinoy

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

The power trade 30% is supposed to include everything. There was a promo code posted a week or so ago. I will try to find it again. They had to find the barcode in some marketing pack at my GS.

actually the store manager at my local store showed me the wording for the promotion (it was updated since it started) and it now only says games not all items. but from what people are reporting, it's working on all items still.

#2236 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

actually the store manager at my local store showed me the wording for the promotion (it was updated since it started) and it now only says games not all items. but from what people are reporting, it's working on all items still.

If you go on the website it says it includes any item INCLUDING accessories on any of the new releases. So even if they update it in their books, they'd still have to take what the website at face value since that's what consumers are privy to.

#2237 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

I did not realize they updated it. I used it a few weeks ago so I was going off that. Thanks.

#2238 sninh

sninh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

The 30% was auto for me when I traded in my controllers and bought bl2 (then returned later)

#2239 timmylamb

timmylamb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

ok i see it thanks guys, promo page says

Get 30% extra in-store credit when you trade any items toward a new copy of select games.

but when you click on the promo, the banner says games hardware accessories etc etc, i'm gonna go back after that guy gets off haha try to get another worker and get my 30% dangit, this is on principle

#2240 tuffguycore

tuffguycore

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

ok i see it thanks guys, promo page says

Get 30% extra in-store credit when you trade any items toward a new copy of select games.

but when you click on the promo, the banner says games hardware accessories etc etc, i'm gonna go back after that guy gets off haha try to get another worker and get my 30% dangit, this is on principle

Did you already trade it? When I worked there it was a pretty rare occurance to give the extra on something if you've already sold the item.

#2241 timmylamb

timmylamb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

yes I traded it in already but I have the receipts and it was on monday. I will ask them for my controller back and cancel my pre order if they deny me, its just principle I hate it when people straight up lie to my face like that or are too lazy to even look.

#2242 ItalianWeapons

ItalianWeapons

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

I know this may be YMMV, but when you trade in a controller, how intensely do they look at it? Like do they just take a quick glance at it or do they really inspect it. Because both controllers have a small chip in the battery pack holder. Also, one has a lb button kinda stuck and one part of the dpad does not work. Also, Is the refub also $5?

#2243 KrayzieKMF

KrayzieKMF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

I know this may be YMMV, but when you trade in a controller, how intensely do they look at it? Like do they just take a quick glance at it or do they really inspect it. Because both controllers have a small chip in the battery pack holder. Also, one has a lb button kinda stuck and one part of the dpad does not work. Also, Is the refub also $5?

The guy I traded my system into pushed all the controller buttons for like 2 minutes...

#2244 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Don't try and pass off broken shit as working. Problem solved.

#2245 willynateDgreat

willynateDgreat

2OLD2GAME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

So would this deal apply to Apple products as well?
Posted Image

#2246 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

yes I traded it in already but I have the receipts and it was on monday. I will ask them for my controller back and cancel my pre order if they deny me, its just principle I hate it when people straight up lie to my face like that or are too lazy to even look.

If they refuse to make it right, ask for the district manager's information and also do that survey on the receipt. Bad surveys are one thing they don't mess around with.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

Make your pledge today towards this years Extra-Life 24-Hour Marathon Charity!  All donations over $25 will receive a free 3d-printed and hand painted gift!  PM me for details!  http://www.extra-lif...nt/brokenpinata

#2247 anthonyd46

anthonyd46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Base Values 10/3

Dsi XL $23
PSP-2000 $20
3DS $50

All games below were eligible for promo #13668 dunno what that was frm the counts looks like it gave the extra 30% like i was buying a new game or something

Xbox 360

TNA Impact $2.50
Unreal Tournament III 1.00
Pocketbike Racer .10

Wii

Winter Sports .50
Space Chimps .30
Arctic Tale .30
Spiderwick .40

None of those games had cases disc only except TNA which had a generic gamestop case.

Rejected Games:

Fairly Odd Parents Showdown (Reason: Were not taking PS2 games anymore)
Harvest Moon Boy & Girl (Reason: Were not taking PSP games anymore)
3DS Charging Dock (Reason: We dont take that)
PSP TV Cable (Reason: We don't take psp accessories anymore)
You're in the movies (Reason: forgot to take the shrinkwrap off and they said the cameras were "watching") no big i think the tiv is like 5 cents so.

Total after bonuses 193.14 so i got a new 3DS XL for $6.85 + tax on the $6.85 for a total of $7.35

#2248 io

io

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

I did not know they didn't take PSP stuff any more. Is this chain-wide?

#2249 anthonyd46

anthonyd46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

I dont know it suprised me thats for sure

#2250 panda911

panda911

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

I believe it's on a store-by-store basis like PS2 stuff.