#1 Jawwaad1

Jawwaad1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

http://www.amazon.co...ords=dark souls

PS3

http://www.amazon.co...ords=dark souls

Just a heads up. They are sold from a 3rd party distributor but fulfilled by Amazon so they are Prime eligible.

#2 MochaRaf

MochaRaf

I Come Here Often...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

I picked up the 360 version last week, it has been at that price on Amazon for a while and I got tired of waiting for it to drop further. Definitely the lowest price I have seen it for.

#3 investor

investor

CAG Supremo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Wow! This game is droping fast. How is the game compared to the 1st one Demon Soul?
<p>Gamefly PS3 chipped discs. Click on more pictures below to enlarge them.
Investor9872.png

#4 BigPoeticCanine

BigPoeticCanine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Just an FYI for people buying, there's a rumored Prepare to Die Edition coming out in the winter which would pack in the DLC that is going to be released at around the same time. The DLC on its own has been set as definitely being $15 and adds a few new areas. The cost of DkS (on Amazon's price) and the DLC would pretty much add up to around the same as the PtD, assuming it retains the same MSRP as the PC version ($39.99).

My suggestion.... wait on GameFly to have one of their super sales on this bad boy then pick up the DLC when that gets released digitally. IIRC, GF had this as a daily deal for $15 or $18. And if you're not interested in the extra content, it's still a better deal, although DkS at any price is well worth it and the DLC is more than sure to deliver.

Wow! This game is droping fast. How is the game compared to the 1st one Demon Soul?

DkS delivers. I love the hell out of both, though for what it's worth, Demon's Souls may be the harder game (which is great for those who love a challenge). They are of equal value in almost every respect, in my opinion.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: nothing
:pc: Payday 2
:psp: Ys: Memories of Celceta / Rayman Legends

:wiiu: Super Mario 3D World / Xenoblade Chronicles

:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

#5 Blinkerizo

Blinkerizo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Just an FYI for people buying, there's a rumored Prepare to Die Edition coming out in the winter which would pack in the DLC that is going to be released at around the same time. The DLC on its own has been set as definitely being $15 and adds a few new areas. The cost of DkS (on Amazon's price) and the DLC would pretty much add up to around the same as the PtD, assuming it retains the same MSRP as the PC version ($39.99).

My suggestion.... wait on GameFly to have one of their super sales on this bad boy then pick up the DLC when that gets released digitally. IIRC, GF had this as a daily deal for $15 or $18. And if you're not interested in the extra content, it's still a better deal, although DkS at any price is well worth it and the DLC is more than sure to deliver.

as far as i know its only for pc

#6 BigPoeticCanine

BigPoeticCanine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

as far as i know its only for pc

Granted, the PtD edition is only for PC right now, but the DLC as a stand-alone digital release has been announced as landing on consoles Winter 2012; and like I said, the PtD edition was rumored for console release, as well, and if so it'll retain the price tag [I'm assuming].

Currently Playing:

#7 dcm1602

dcm1602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Anyone able to fill me in on how co-op/multiplayer is on this one ?

I have the original for ps3 and liked it, but I just dont buy games that I have to effectively play alone.

#8 BigPoeticCanine

BigPoeticCanine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

I have the original for ps3 and liked it, but I just dont buy games that I have to effectively play alone.

Ok, well, multiplayer works for the most part exactly the same as in the other game. However, one main thing they removed is the Moon Grass that would allow certain pvp battles to go on forever; rather, only the host has a healing item (save for those who have the miracle Heal or one of its variants, or individuals with Humanities [which are difficult to obtain and rarely abused]). Now, the one main exploit that may bring you some grief is that people have been able to use the Master Key in order to reach certain areas of the world earlier than they would be able to normally, so they've been able to get good gear and then they simply come back to the first area of the game and pick off noobs. I generally advise people to either summon some help for this first area or go at it while Hollowed (what is effectively the Undead or Phantom state) since it is fairly easy. After that, you only have to worry about the typical breed of invaders.

Also, I heard that the DLC will be adding something akin to a matchmaking system, but I don't know much about that. Otherwise, it simply works using summon signs, invasion stones, and invasion signs.

Currently Playing:

#9 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Ok, well, multiplayer works for the most part exactly the same as in the other game. However, one main thing they removed is the Moon Grass that would allow certain pvp battles to go on forever; rather, only the host has a healing item (save for those who have the miracle Heal or one of its variants, or individuals with Humanities [which are difficult to obtain and rarely abused]). Now, the one main exploit that may bring you some grief is that people have been able to use the Master Key in order to reach certain areas of the world earlier than they would be able to normally, so they've been able to get good gear and then they simply come back to the first area of the game and pick off noobs. I generally advise people to either summon some help for this first area or go at it while Hollowed (what is effectively the Undead or Phantom state) since it is fairly easy. After that, you only have to worry about the typical breed of invaders.

Also, I heard that the DLC will be adding something akin to a matchmaking system, but I don't know much about that. Otherwise, it simply works using summon signs, invasion stones, and invasion signs.

Humanity are very easy to obtain.

jayremedy.png

sig.gif

#10 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Go Kings!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

For CAGs interested in the PS3 version, and don't mind used:

http://www.gohasting...u/285660682.uts

It's currently $17 on gohastings, but combine this with the buy 3 get 30% off sale to get extra savings. About $14-15 shipped after code and shipping costs.

Use Code: 3STOOGES

For more info:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=303198

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#11 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

it's actually been out for quite awhile. many, many other games drop far faster.

it's different from Demon's Souls in many ways, but also very similiar. Any fan of one will also love the other.

Main differences - it's more open world. Everything's interconnected (especially once you open short cuts). There is no 'nexus'.

Some minor elements of combat work differently, but it ends up playing quite similarly -- for example, there are modifications to how casting works, you can kick, and while they still have equip weight you've got unlimited inventory.

You have 5-20 'estus flasks', which are basically healing potions. Your spells and flasks get replenished at bonfires, which basically heal you up, let you level up, etc. The bonfires can be upgraded in many useful ways, and you can eventually teleport between most of them.

Stylistically, the games are very similiar. You'll recognize motifs from one to the other.

I absolutely love both and think they're hands down the best games of this gen.

#12 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

If you liked the first, I don't understand what the issue is.
It works the same way -- you can drop signs, or summon other players. If you're in human form in an uncompleted area, you might get invaded.

Coop is an absolute blast. The biggest addition are a bunch of 'convenants' that you can join, all of which offer various benefits/etc. Some are 'evil', and you'll be more of an invader, another one gets you to exact vengeance by invading and slaying invaders, some are for 'good' players that like to help others coop (that's me)...

After I beat a boss I generally help a dozen or two others with that boss before proceeding.

#13 Sashka

Sashka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

If you liked the first, I don't understand what the issue is.
It works the same way -- you can drop signs, or summon other players. If you're in human form in an uncompleted area, you might get invaded.

Coop is an absolute blast. The biggest addition are a bunch of 'convenants' that you can join, all of which offer various benefits/etc. Some are 'evil', and you'll be more of an invader, another one gets you to exact vengeance by invading and slaying invaders, some are for 'good' players that like to help others coop (that's me)...

After I beat a boss I generally help a dozen or two others with that boss before proceeding.

You can't do the boss again after you've beaten it. Why would you even lie about that?

#14 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

You can't do the boss again after you've beaten it. Why would you even lie about that?

Yes you can.

#15 thesuzukimethod

thesuzukimethod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

Yes you can.

+1

on a broader note...dark souls is probably one of my fave games of all times. i liked demon's souls a lot, but it doesnt flow as well as dark souls (probably harder too).

dark souls is big boy/girl zelda. so fun. so so fun.

#16 Camwi

Camwi

Can I be a sasquatch too?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

You can if you get summoned into someone else's world, which is obviously what he was talking about.

#17 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

So this game is not for the faint of heart, is it? Is it like Ninja Gaiden hard or just grind-the-doodoo-out-of-it hard?

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#18 Bumslie

Bumslie

Positive Mental Attitude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

I just got my platinum in Dark Souls last week. This game is hard but as you get past the learning curve its excellent. There were times were I struggled but just never gave up. Be prepared to die a lot. The more deaths you take makes you a better player. You learn from your deaths and most of the deaths are usually the players fault.

This game is great if you give it time and patience.

Can't wait for the DLC in the winter!

BumslieOG.png

#19 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:08 AM

So this game is not for the faint of heart, is it? Is it like Ninja Gaiden hard or just grind-the-doodoo-out-of-it hard?

I'd say more Ninja Gaiden hard. You can grind some XP out to level up a bit, but leveling a lot isn't a huge help. It's much more important to learn the combat mechanics.

jayremedy.png

sig.gif

#20 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lux is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

I respect anyone that plats or even plays this and demon's souls. Fantastic games. ;)

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#21 watcher0

watcher0

CAGmeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Now, the one main exploit that may bring you some grief is that people have been able to use the Master Key in order to reach certain areas of the world earlier than they would be able to normally, so they've been able to get good gear and then they simply come back to the first area of the game and pick off noobs.

Actually, the real source of grief is the bug that lets people transfer all their stuff from an advanced/maxed character to, basically, a starting level character. Until they fix the glitch, low level griefers are almost always cheats.
[URL="http://direct2drive.tellapal.com/a/clk/mgkpx"][/URL]

#22 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

Actually, the real source of grief is the bug that lets people transfer all their stuff from an advanced/maxed character to, basically, a starting level character. Until they fix the glitch, low level griefers are almost always cheats.

Eh, it's not that hard to get a +5 Lightning weapon on a low level character if the person is good at the game.

jayremedy.png

sig.gif

#23 Stimes

Stimes

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

I can't take this.

#24 continuegaming

continuegaming

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Eh, it's not that hard to get a +5 Lightning weapon on a low level character if the person is good at the game.

agreed, that's the one thing about this game that irks me, invasions are based on soul level (not gear) so prepare to be invaded by some low level hyper geared black phantoms... seriously what a dick move
(hate when my early game level 5 sorcerer gets invaded in the Parish by a black phantom with +5 Eastern Armor maxed to the gills with Homing Soul Mass and +5 Lightning/Chaos Weapons)... join "Way of the White" to avoid these jokesters on your first playthrough.

#25 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

agreed, that's the one thing about this game that irks me, invasions are based on soul level (not gear) so prepare to be invaded by some low level hyper geared black phantoms... seriously what a dick move
(hate when my early game level 5 sorcerer gets invaded in the Parish by a black phantom with +5 Eastern Armor maxed to the gills with Homing Soul Mass and +5 Lightning/Chaos Weapons)... join "Way of the White" to avoid these jokesters on your first playthrough.

You could just play in Soul form (forgot what it was called in Dark Souls). It's not that much of a handicap.

jayremedy.png

sig.gif

#26 continuegaming

continuegaming

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

You could just play in Soul form (forgot what it was called in Dark Souls). It's not that much of a handicap.

yeah... i think it's called "hollowed"... because when you go back to human form it's called "reverse hollowing" (or play offline for early game) that works too. i just chose way of white, since really those early phantom bastards are the real problem (don't mind it when Im in Anor Londo, at least I've got gear by then) it's easy to join way of white and no real problem switching out of that Covenant.

in a way i almost wish they left the "half-health when in soul form mechanic" because then it gave you a reason to want to be in human form other than being able to summon and kindle bonfires, since i play a lot im almost always "hallowed" and i think (unless you WANT pvp) that's the way to play.

#27 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

I loved Demon's Souls, my favorite Ps3 exclusive.
Just started Dark Souls a week ago (14 hrs of gameplay so far).
All I can say is that (IMHO), Dark Souls is slightly better, more immersive, innovative and harder than Demon's.
Totally recommend it.
Posted Image

#28 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Great to know thanks.
Posted Image

#29 Bumslie

Bumslie

Positive Mental Attitude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I loved Demon's Souls, my favorite Ps3 exclusive.
Just started Dark Souls a week ago (14 hrs of gameplay so far).
All I can say is that (IMHO), Dark Souls is slightly better, more immersive, innovative and harder than Demon's.
Totally recommend it.

When you have the opportunity to purchase Purging Stones buy them. The lady merchant at the end of the long sewer near Undead Burg sells them plus after you ring the 1st Bell you can buy them after.

The Depths was an area I would hate to play w/o purging stones. If you get cursed from the frogs you will die then your health will be half. Your humanity is gone now and you need to reverse the curse. Only 2 things that will work is purging stones or go to New Lando Ruins and get healed from Ingward. If you don't reverse the curse and get cursed again your life will go down half again. It will keep doing this until you are left with 1/8 of your health.

Many people have lost saves of this game cause they thought they didn't need to reverse the curse. Making to the Ingward on 1/8 of health is not going to be fun.

I hope From Software is going to make another Souls game. I could use an new one every couple years or so.

Enjoy this masterpiece.

BumslieOG.png

#30 The Dead Texan

The Dead Texan

Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Good luck trying to hide.

I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.