Dark Souls $22.99 PS3, $22.35 360 at Amazon

I picked up the 360 version last week, it has been at that price on Amazon for a while and I got tired of waiting for it to drop further. Definitely the lowest price I have seen it for.

Just an FYI for people buying, there's a rumored Prepare to Die Edition coming out in the winter which would pack in the DLC that is going to be released at around the same time. The DLC on its own has been set as definitely being $15 and adds a few new areas. The cost of DkS (on Amazon's price) and the DLC would pretty much add up to around the same as the PtD, assuming it retains the same MSRP as the PC version ($39.99).

My suggestion.... wait on GameFly to have one of their super sales on this bad boy then pick up the DLC when that gets released digitally. IIRC, GF had this as a daily deal for $15 or $18. And if you're not interested in the extra content, it's still a better deal, although DkS at any price is well worth it and the DLC is more than sure to deliver.

[quote name='Investor']Wow! This game is droping fast. How is the game compared to the 1st one Demon Soul?[/QUOTE]

DkS delivers. I love the hell out of both, though for what it's worth, Demon's Souls may be the harder game (which is great for those who love a challenge). They are of equal value in almost every respect, in my opinion.

[quote name='BigPoeticCanine']Just an FYI for people buying, there's a rumored Prepare to Die Edition coming out in the winter which would pack in the DLC that is going to be released at around the same time. The DLC on its own has been set as definitely being $15 and adds a few new areas. The cost of DkS (on Amazon's price) and the DLC would pretty much add up to around the same as the PtD, assuming it retains the same MSRP as the PC version ($39.99).

My suggestion.... wait on GameFly to have one of their super sales on this bad boy then pick up the DLC when that gets released digitally. IIRC, GF had this as a daily deal for $15 or $18. And if you're not interested in the extra content, it's still a better deal, although DkS at any price is well worth it and the DLC is more than sure to deliver.[/QUOTE]

as far as i know its only for pc

[quote name='Blinkerizo']as far as i know its only for pc[/QUOTE]

Granted, the PtD edition is only for PC right now, but the DLC as a stand-alone digital release has been announced as landing on consoles Winter 2012; and like I said, the PtD edition was rumored for console release, as well, and if so it'll retain the price tag [I'm assuming].

Anyone able to fill me in on how co-op/multiplayer is on this one ?

I have the original for ps3 and liked it, but I just dont buy games that I have to effectively play alone.

[quote name='dcm1602']Anyone able to fill me in on how co-op/multiplayer is on this one ?

I have the original for ps3 and liked it, but I just dont buy games that I have to effectively play alone.[/QUOTE]

Ok, well, multiplayer works for the most part exactly the same as in the other game. However, one main thing they removed is the Moon Grass that would allow certain pvp battles to go on forever; rather, only the host has a healing item (save for those who have the miracle Heal or one of its variants, or individuals with Humanities [which are difficult to obtain and rarely abused]). Now, the one main exploit that may bring you some grief is that people have been able to use the Master Key in order to reach certain areas of the world earlier than they would be able to normally, so they've been able to get good gear and then they simply come back to the first area of the game and pick off noobs. I generally advise people to either summon some help for this first area or go at it while Hollowed (what is effectively the Undead or Phantom state) since it is fairly easy. After that, you only have to worry about the typical breed of invaders.

Also, I heard that the DLC will be adding something akin to a matchmaking system, but I don't know much about that. Otherwise, it simply works using summon signs, invasion stones, and invasion signs.

[quote name='BigPoeticCanine']Ok, well, multiplayer works for the most part exactly the same as in the other game. However, one main thing they removed is the Moon Grass that would allow certain pvp battles to go on forever; rather, only the host has a healing item (save for those who have the miracle Heal or one of its variants, or individuals with Humanities [which are difficult to obtain and rarely abused]). Now, the one main exploit that may bring you some grief is that people have been able to use the Master Key in order to reach certain areas of the world earlier than they would be able to normally, so they've been able to get good gear and then they simply come back to the first area of the game and pick off noobs. I generally advise people to either summon some help for this first area or go at it while Hollowed (what is effectively the Undead or Phantom state) since it is fairly easy. After that, you only have to worry about the typical breed of invaders.

Also, I heard that the DLC will be adding something akin to a matchmaking system, but I don't know much about that. Otherwise, it simply works using summon signs, invasion stones, and invasion signs.[/QUOTE]

Humanity are very easy to obtain.

[quote name='Investor']Wow! This game is droping fast. How is the game compared to the 1st one Demon Soul?[/QUOTE]

it's actually been out for quite awhile. many, many other games drop far faster.

it's different from Demon's Souls in many ways, but also very similiar. Any fan of one will also love the other.

Main differences - it's more open world. Everything's interconnected (especially once you open short cuts). There is no 'nexus'.

Some minor elements of combat work differently, but it ends up playing quite similarly -- for example, there are modifications to how casting works, you can kick, and while they still have equip weight you've got unlimited inventory.

You have 5-20 'estus flasks', which are basically healing potions. Your spells and flasks get replenished at bonfires, which basically heal you up, let you level up, etc. The bonfires can be upgraded in many useful ways, and you can eventually teleport between most of them.

Stylistically, the games are very similiar. You'll recognize motifs from one to the other.

I absolutely love both and think they're hands down the best games of this gen.

[quote name='dcm1602']Anyone able to fill me in on how co-op/multiplayer is on this one ?

I have the original for ps3 and liked it, but I just dont buy games that I have to effectively play alone.[/QUOTE]

If you liked the first, I don't understand what the issue is.
It works the same way -- you can drop signs, or summon other players. If you're in human form in an uncompleted area, you might get invaded.

Coop is an absolute blast. The biggest addition are a bunch of 'convenants' that you can join, all of which offer various benefits/etc. Some are 'evil', and you'll be more of an invader, another one gets you to exact vengeance by invading and slaying invaders, some are for 'good' players that like to help others coop (that's me)...

After I beat a boss I generally help a dozen or two others with that boss before proceeding.

[quote name='affa']If you liked the first, I don't understand what the issue is.
It works the same way -- you can drop signs, or summon other players. If you're in human form in an uncompleted area, you might get invaded.

Coop is an absolute blast. The biggest addition are a bunch of 'convenants' that you can join, all of which offer various benefits/etc. Some are 'evil', and you'll be more of an invader, another one gets you to exact vengeance by invading and slaying invaders, some are for 'good' players that like to help others coop (that's me)...

After I beat a boss I generally help a dozen or two others with that boss before proceeding.[/QUOTE]

You can't do the boss again after you've beaten it. Why would you even lie about that?

[quote name='Sashka']You can't do the boss again after you've beaten it. Why would you even lie about that?[/QUOTE]

Yes you can.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Yes you can.[/QUOTE]

+1

on a broader note...dark souls is probably one of my fave games of all times. i liked demon's souls a lot, but it doesnt flow as well as dark souls (probably harder too).

dark souls is big boy/girl zelda. so fun. so so fun.

[quote name='Sashka']You can't do the boss again after you've beaten it. Why would you even lie about that?[/QUOTE]

You can if you get summoned into someone else's world, which is obviously what he was talking about.

I just got my platinum in Dark Souls last week. This game is hard but as you get past the learning curve its excellent. There were times were I struggled but just never gave up. Be prepared to die a lot. The more deaths you take makes you a better player. You learn from your deaths and most of the deaths are usually the players fault.

This game is great if you give it time and patience.

Can't wait for the DLC in the winter!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']So this game is not for the faint of heart, is it? Is it like Ninja Gaiden hard or just grind-the-doodoo-out-of-it hard?[/QUOTE]

I'd say more Ninja Gaiden hard. You can grind some XP out to level up a bit, but leveling a lot isn't a huge help. It's much more important to learn the combat mechanics.

[quote name='BigPoeticCanine']Now, the one main exploit that may bring you some grief is that people have been able to use the Master Key in order to reach certain areas of the world earlier than they would be able to normally, so they've been able to get good gear and then they simply come back to the first area of the game and pick off noobs. [/QUOTE]

Actually, the real source of grief is the bug that lets people transfer all their stuff from an advanced/maxed character to, basically, a starting level character. Until they fix the glitch, low level griefers are almost always cheats.

[quote name='watcher0']Actually, the real source of grief is the bug that lets people transfer all their stuff from an advanced/maxed character to, basically, a starting level character. Until they fix the glitch, low level griefers are almost always cheats.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it's not that hard to get a +5 Lightning weapon on a low level character if the person is good at the game.

Eh, it's not that hard to get a +5 Lightning weapon on a low level character if the person is good at the game.

agreed, that's the one thing about this game that irks me, invasions are based on soul level (not gear) so prepare to be invaded by some low level hyper geared black phantoms... seriously what a dick move
(hate when my early game level 5 sorcerer gets invaded in the Parish by a black phantom with +5 Eastern Armor maxed to the gills with Homing Soul Mass and +5 Lightning/Chaos Weapons)... join "Way of the White" to avoid these jokesters on your first playthrough.

[quote name='continuegaming']agreed, that's the one thing about this game that irks me, invasions are based on soul level (not gear) so prepare to be invaded by some low level hyper geared black phantoms... seriously what a dick move
(hate when my early game level 5 sorcerer gets invaded in the Parish by a black phantom with +5 Eastern Armor maxed to the gills with Homing Soul Mass and +5 Lightning/Chaos Weapons)... join "Way of the White" to avoid these jokesters on your first playthrough.[/QUOTE]

You could just play in Soul form (forgot what it was called in Dark Souls). It's not that much of a handicap.

You could just play in Soul form (forgot what it was called in Dark Souls). It's not that much of a handicap.

yeah... i think it's called "hollowed"... because when you go back to human form it's called "reverse hollowing" (or play offline for early game) that works too. i just chose way of white, since really those early phantom bastards are the real problem (don't mind it when Im in Anor Londo, at least I've got gear by then) it's easy to join way of white and no real problem switching out of that Covenant.

in a way i almost wish they left the "half-health when in soul form mechanic" because then it gave you a reason to want to be in human form other than being able to summon and kindle bonfires, since i play a lot im almost always "hallowed" and i think (unless you WANT pvp) that's the way to play.

I loved Demon's Souls, my favorite Ps3 exclusive.
Just started Dark Souls a week ago (14 hrs of gameplay so far).
All I can say is that (IMHO), Dark Souls is slightly better, more immersive, innovative and harder than Demon's.
Totally recommend it.

[quote name='continuegaming']agreed, that's the one thing about this game that irks me, invasions are based on soul level (not gear) so prepare to be invaded by some low level hyper geared black phantoms... seriously what a dick move
(hate when my early game level 5 sorcerer gets invaded in the Parish by a black phantom with +5 Eastern Armor maxed to the gills with Homing Soul Mass and +5 Lightning/Chaos Weapons)... join "Way of the White" to avoid these jokesters on your first playthrough.[/QUOTE]

Great to know thanks.

[quote name='FerDK']I loved Demon's Souls, my favorite Ps3 exclusive.
Just started Dark Souls a week ago (14 hrs of gameplay so far).
All I can say is that (IMHO), Dark Souls is slightly better, more immersive, innovative and harder than Demon's.
Totally recommend it.[/QUOTE]

When you have the opportunity to purchase Purging Stones buy them. The lady merchant at the end of the long sewer near Undead Burg sells them plus after you ring the 1st Bell you can buy them after.

The Depths was an area I would hate to play w/o purging stones. If you get cursed from the frogs you will die then your health will be half. Your humanity is gone now and you need to reverse the curse. Only 2 things that will work is purging stones or go to New Lando Ruins and get healed from Ingward. If you don't reverse the curse and get cursed again your life will go down half again. It will keep doing this until you are left with 1/8 of your health.

Many people have lost saves of this game cause they thought they didn't need to reverse the curse. Making to the Ingward on 1/8 of health is not going to be fun.

I hope From Software is going to make another Souls game. I could use an new one every couple years or so.

Enjoy this masterpiece.

... I dislike being called a liar, but I see others have already jumped all over you for not knowing what you're talking about.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']So this game is not for the faint of heart, is it? Is it like Ninja Gaiden hard or just grind-the-doodoo-out-of-it hard?[/QUOTE]

It's... neither. It's definitely not a grinder. And while combat is complex, it's not viciously complex like Ninja Gaiden.

Rather, the difficultly comes from punishing you for your own mistakes -- but in a way that it always feels like you deserve it. It never feels cheap, in my opinion.

For example -- you get really used to that giant sword, and bring it with you into a narrow tunnel. Good luck swinging it when that skelly is around the corner. Or, you get over confident and chase that weak monster when it runs and get ambushed. Or you took one too many swings, not leaving yourself enough endurance to block. Or you decide you think you can make that long trek across a poison bog without going back for supplies. Bosses are elaborate, giant, and often very difficult the first time you meet them.

But in general, death is always your fault. You took too big a risk, or didn't have your shield up as you rounded a corner, or freaked out and rolled away from a baddie when you had your back against a cliff. And deep down you'll know, had you, say, given more thought to the blood stains on the floors/walls, you'd perhaps have realized danger was close.

Also, death is punished - you leave a bloodstain with all the 'souls' (read: gold/experience) you've acquired and not spent, and have 1 life to get back to that bloodstain or else it's gone. (This can seem traumatic at first, but really, even losing a ton isn't truly a big deal). However, some of those runs to get to a faraway, but important, bloodstain are the most thrilling/invigorating.

RE: invaders -- generally, I love this mechanic. There are some griefers out there that are over-equipped, but honestly, it's not common, and even then there are ways around that (if you can get invaded, you can also summon, and there's nothing like having 2 pros at your side when you get invaded by one griefer). The online mechanic is the most innovative approach to online coop/pvp i think i've ever seen. Also, once you defeat a boss you won't get invaded in that area anymore. Some invaders will kill you. Just try again.

The sense of dread you'll feel, however, when you're knee deep in a bog and you're quite lost, and get invaded, however, is... pure gold. Terrible, terrible, fear and despair gold. I wouldn't change it for the world.

When you have the opportunity to purchase Purging Stones buy them.

i disagree. they are expensive (like 4K or 5k souls), plus if you have a healthy attitude towards dieing (heck just accept you'll die alot and deal with it) being cursed aint so bad... if you do get cursed, go down to new londo and loot as much as possible/ get healed by Ingwald...

i mighta purchased some purging stones first playthrough, but never used em... (there aren't many frogs and as soon as you realize their attack patterns they are a joke... (just use pyro, firebombs, or soul arrow and they cooked)

just my experience YMMV

[quote name='continuegaming']i disagree. they are expensive (like 4K or 5k souls), plus if you have a healthy attitude towards dieing (heck just accept you'll die alot and deal with it) being cursed aint so bad... if you do get cursed, go down to new londo and loot as much as possible/ get healed by Ingwald...

i mighta purchased some purging stones first playthrough, but never used em... (there aren't many frogs and as soon as you realize their attack patterns they are a joke... (just use pyro, firebombs, or soul arrow and they cooked)

just my experience YMMV[/QUOTE]

I only got cursed a couple times on my platinum run. I don't care about the cost I'd souls cause they are too easy to get. Just saying on the first playthrough it would be good to have a few. If you need some souls summon someone and kill invaders.

The frogs are easy just might catch you off guard the first time in The Depths.

@Bumsmile

i figure if you get cursed and don't want to run through new londo for de-cursing, you can always get to lady in sewers and buy some (not hard to get there from the depths bonfire).

i wouldn't try and "stock up on 'em" like they are a something great, maybe buy one, but after "the Depths" purging stones are basically wasted souls (i'd rather spend souls on firebombs, fire arrows, poison arrows/daggers, charcoal pine resin... rather than spend on purging stone which are only useful against fairly trivial opponents which appear in limited quantities)

BEFORE the recent updates (where you couldn't buy them from the sewer vendor) being cursed was a PITA. now though, not a big deal.

[quote name='continuegaming']@Bumsmile

i figure if you get cursed and don't want to run through new londo for de-cursing, you can always get to lady in sewers and buy some (not hard to get there from the depths bonfire).

i wouldn't try and "stock up on 'em" like they are a something great, maybe buy one, but after "the Depths" purging stones are basically wasted souls (i'd rather spend souls on firebombs, fire arrows, poison arrows/daggers, charcoal pine resin... rather than spend on purging stone which are only useful against fairly trivial opponents which appear in limited quantities)

BEFORE the recent updates (where you couldn't buy them from the sewer vendor) being cursed was a PITA. now though, not a big deal.[/QUOTE]

agreed. the new patch made it a joke, since it's easy to find the cure. actually, the game is much easier, and much easier to plat, then when it came out. a lot of hard to get items are now buyable, which comes in super handy for the weapons trophies.

i think i've been cursed once by the frogs when i didn't know what i was doing (or that they cursed you). having one stone is alright. more is a waste, i agree. and if you know the sewers, or have a summoned guide that does, not only are frogs a joke, but you can ambush most of them from behind making them even more of a joke.

[quote name='affa']agreed. the new patch made it a joke, since it's easy to find the cure. actually, the game is much easier, and much easier to plat, then when it came out. a lot of hard to get items are now buyable, which comes in super handy for the weapons trophies.

i think i've been cursed once by the frogs when i didn't know what i was doing (or that they cursed you). having one stone is alright. more is a waste, i agree. and if you know the sewers, or have a summoned guide that does, not only are frogs a joke, but you can ambush most of them from behind making them even more of a joke.[/QUOTE]

I agree with both of you on the patch made this an easier to get around. I'm just saying if your going solo the first time it doesn't hurt to 1 or 2 purging stones. Once you learn the sewers it's not the difficult to navigate.

[quote name='specialist']Good luck trying to hide.

I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.[/QUOTE]

:hot: I hate invaders!!! ;)
Honestly, the online interaction of this game is what makes it unique.
Thanks to all for the heads up and advices.

No one is safe... PREPARE TO DIE.

Haha, well I guess they patched it then because before it didn't matter what level you were and people who exploited the dragon head could invade noobs easily. Was hilarious when idiots tried invading and couldn't target me since ring of fog still worked too, so they'd end up face down ass up in a heartbeat.

That still sounds like fun though. Twinking is a PvP favorite of mine. Only carebears cry about it.

FYI when you get to Capra Demon (you might get frustrated) i uploaded a tutorial which might help you out...

most players complain about how "cheap" he is as a boss, and if you go in unprepared you'll die, but frankly if you know what you are doing he aint that tough... you can also use firebombs which do ~100 damage per.

fyi, i tried that whole "run around/ dodge the dogs" strategy that everyone else posted and got my ass killed 4-5 times in a row. besides, running around and dodging "aint the way i roll dog".

@Jodou
ohh no, you are THAT guy... ugg don't be THAT guy. use a Dragon Eye Stone and PvP like a pro instead of picking on the newbs.

bread's done
Back