Dark Souls $22.99 PS3, $22.35 360 at Amazon

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

You can't do the boss again after you've beaten it. Why would you even lie about that?

... I dislike being called a liar, but I see others have already jumped all over you for not knowing what you're talking about.

So this game is not for the faint of heart, is it? Is it like Ninja Gaiden hard or just grind-the-doodoo-out-of-it hard?

It's... neither. It's definitely not a grinder. And while combat is complex, it's not viciously complex like Ninja Gaiden.

Rather, the difficultly comes from punishing you for your own mistakes -- but in a way that it always feels like you deserve it. It never feels cheap, in my opinion.

For example -- you get really used to that giant sword, and bring it with you into a narrow tunnel. Good luck swinging it when that skelly is around the corner. Or, you get over confident and chase that weak monster when it runs and get ambushed. Or you took one too many swings, not leaving yourself enough endurance to block. Or you decide you think you can make that long trek across a poison bog without going back for supplies. Bosses are elaborate, giant, and often very difficult the first time you meet them.

But in general, death is always your fault. You took too big a risk, or didn't have your shield up as you rounded a corner, or freaked out and rolled away from a baddie when you had your back against a cliff. And deep down you'll know, had you, say, given more thought to the blood stains on the floors/walls, you'd perhaps have realized danger was close.

Also, death is punished - you leave a bloodstain with all the 'souls' (read: gold/experience) you've acquired and not spent, and have 1 life to get back to that bloodstain or else it's gone. (This can seem traumatic at first, but really, even losing a ton isn't truly a big deal). However, some of those runs to get to a faraway, but important, bloodstain are the most thrilling/invigorating.

RE: invaders -- generally, I love this mechanic. There are some griefers out there that are over-equipped, but honestly, it's not common, and even then there are ways around that (if you can get invaded, you can also summon, and there's nothing like having 2 pros at your side when you get invaded by one griefer). The online mechanic is the most innovative approach to online coop/pvp i think i've ever seen. Also, once you defeat a boss you won't get invaded in that area anymore. Some invaders will kill you. Just try again.

The sense of dread you'll feel, however, when you're knee deep in a bog and you're quite lost, and get invaded, however, is... pure gold. Terrible, terrible, fear and despair gold. I wouldn't change it for the world.

#32 continuegaming

continuegaming

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

When you have the opportunity to purchase Purging Stones buy them.

i disagree. they are expensive (like 4K or 5k souls), plus if you have a healthy attitude towards dieing (heck just accept you'll die alot and deal with it) being cursed aint so bad... if you do get cursed, go down to new londo and loot as much as possible/ get healed by Ingwald...

i mighta purchased some purging stones first playthrough, but never used em... (there aren't many frogs and as soon as you realize their attack patterns they are a joke... (just use pyro, firebombs, or soul arrow and they cooked)

just my experience YMMV

#33 Bumslie

Bumslie

Don't Shit Where You Eat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

i disagree. they are expensive (like 4K or 5k souls), plus if you have a healthy attitude towards dieing (heck just accept you'll die alot and deal with it) being cursed aint so bad... if you do get cursed, go down to new londo and loot as much as possible/ get healed by Ingwald...

i mighta purchased some purging stones first playthrough, but never used em... (there aren't many frogs and as soon as you realize their attack patterns they are a joke... (just use pyro, firebombs, or soul arrow and they cooked)

just my experience YMMV

I only got cursed a couple times on my platinum run. I don't care about the cost I'd souls cause they are too easy to get. Just saying on the first playthrough it would be good to have a few. If you need some souls summon someone and kill invaders.

The frogs are easy just might catch you off guard the first time in The Depths.

#34 continuegaming

continuegaming

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

@Bumsmile

i figure if you get cursed and don't want to run through new londo for de-cursing, you can always get to lady in sewers and buy some (not hard to get there from the depths bonfire).

i wouldn't try and "stock up on 'em" like they are a something great, maybe buy one, but after "the Depths" purging stones are basically wasted souls (i'd rather spend souls on firebombs, fire arrows, poison arrows/daggers, charcoal pine resin... rather than spend on purging stone which are only useful against fairly trivial opponents which appear in limited quantities)

BEFORE the recent updates (where you couldn't buy them from the sewer vendor) being cursed was a PITA. now though, not a big deal.

#35 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

@Bumsmile

i figure if you get cursed and don't want to run through new londo for de-cursing, you can always get to lady in sewers and buy some (not hard to get there from the depths bonfire).

i wouldn't try and "stock up on 'em" like they are a something great, maybe buy one, but after "the Depths" purging stones are basically wasted souls (i'd rather spend souls on firebombs, fire arrows, poison arrows/daggers, charcoal pine resin... rather than spend on purging stone which are only useful against fairly trivial opponents which appear in limited quantities)

BEFORE the recent updates (where you couldn't buy them from the sewer vendor) being cursed was a PITA. now though, not a big deal.

agreed. the new patch made it a joke, since it's easy to find the cure. actually, the game is much easier, and much easier to plat, then when it came out. a lot of hard to get items are now buyable, which comes in super handy for the weapons trophies.

i think i've been cursed once by the frogs when i didn't know what i was doing (or that they cursed you). having one stone is alright. more is a waste, i agree. and if you know the sewers, or have a summoned guide that does, not only are frogs a joke, but you can ambush most of them from behind making them even more of a joke.

#36 Bumslie

Bumslie

Don't Shit Where You Eat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

agreed. the new patch made it a joke, since it's easy to find the cure. actually, the game is much easier, and much easier to plat, then when it came out. a lot of hard to get items are now buyable, which comes in super handy for the weapons trophies.

i think i've been cursed once by the frogs when i didn't know what i was doing (or that they cursed you). having one stone is alright. more is a waste, i agree. and if you know the sewers, or have a summoned guide that does, not only are frogs a joke, but you can ambush most of them from behind making them even more of a joke.

I agree with both of you on the patch made this an easier to get around. I'm just saying if your going solo the first time it doesn't hurt to 1 or 2 purging stones. Once you learn the sewers it's not the difficult to navigate.

#37 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Good luck trying to hide.

I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

:hot: I hate invaders!!! ;)
Honestly, the online interaction of this game is what makes it unique.
Thanks to all for the heads up and advices.

No one is safe... PREPARE TO DIE.
Posted Image

#38 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

agreed, that's the one thing about this game that irks me, invasions are based on soul level (not gear) so prepare to be invaded by some low level hyper geared black phantoms... seriously what a dick move
(hate when my early game level 5 sorcerer gets invaded in the Parish by a black phantom with +5 Eastern Armor maxed to the gills with Homing Soul Mass and +5 Lightning/Chaos Weapons)... join "Way of the White" to avoid these jokesters on your first playthrough.

Haha, well I guess they patched it then because before it didn't matter what level you were and people who exploited the dragon head could invade noobs easily. Was hilarious when idiots tried invading and couldn't target me since ring of fog still worked too, so they'd end up face down ass up in a heartbeat.

That still sounds like fun though. Twinking is a PvP favorite of mine. Only carebears cry about it.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#39 continuegaming

continuegaming

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

FYI when you get to Capra Demon (you might get frustrated) i uploaded a tutorial which might help you out...

most players complain about how "cheap" he is as a boss, and if you go in unprepared you'll die, but frankly if you know what you are doing he aint that tough... you can also use firebombs which do ~100 damage per.

fyi, i tried that whole "run around/ dodge the dogs" strategy that everyone else posted and got my ass killed 4-5 times in a row. besides, running around and dodging "aint the way i roll dog".

@Jodou
ohh no, you are THAT guy... ugg don't be THAT guy. use a Dragon Eye Stone and PvP like a pro instead of picking on the newbs.

#40 CGlade

CGlade

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

This game is soooooo great -- if you can invest the time. So so so good.