Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters

• Please log in to reply
404 replies to this topic

#91 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

If Chick-fil-a stopped using MSG, they'd probably lose their customers anyways.

As for believing the Bible 100%, where does it say no polygamy? All these Chick-fil-a supporters say marriage is been a man and a woman. I don't recall the Bible saying that either.

#92 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

As for believing the Bible 100%, where does it say no polygamy?

If they wanted to believe in the Bible 100%, they wouldn't be eating MSG, HFCS, etc. AKA, Chik-fil-A's ingredient list.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

ThroneofSeth.png

#93 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

As for believing the Bible 100%, where does it say no polygamy? All these Chick-fil-a supporters say marriage is been a man and a woman. I don't recall the Bible saying that either.

Holy crap I didnt know Chick FilA has MSG. We need another MSG sweep - that shit is getting into everything.

#94 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Not to sound harsh but white Christans are the whiniest mother fuckers in the world. They have dealt with NO adversity whatsoever.

In the video game of life, it's the easiest difficulty setting, my friend.

I think the moral of the story is clear and the translation is just wrong....Jesus hates Figs....not $$$s.

http://en.wikipedia....ng_the_fig_tree

heh. you know, the way you described the parable in your terms, I couldn't help but picture Jesus as some kind of prattish reality tv star. good on ya.
Posted Image

#95 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'm going to attempt to boil down the argument as concisely as possible:
  • Chik-fil-A absolutely has the right to make such comments. They even have the right to refuse service to particular customers if they wish (as far as I know).
  • People absolutely have the right to boycott them.
  • Chik-fil-A does NOT have the right to use their profits to fund advocacy groups that advance laws supportive of THEIR religious doctrines, as that is an outright violation of a core principle this country was founded on.
This is a simplification (perhaps oversimplification), so feel free to correct me as needed, but as some point the discussion effectively enters filler stage, which is usually marked by a bunch of pro-insert-religious-dogma-angle-here.

Please note I am BORED AS SHIT at work, so while I haven't read the thread, I'm legit just trying to get something to pop up on my CAG User control panel just to keep sane.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#96 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

The ONLY one, the King James version. If you will read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Bible is very clear on God's opinion of homosexuality.

Eek. Might want to learn Greek and Hebrew. Try translating a Dr. Seuss book from English to Spanish without messing up the meaning or small details somewhere. Now think about doing that times about 8,000, and having it be a book people base their lives on.

Not trying to pile on, but out of the many, many Christian friends I have, I'm not sure I know any who are Bible literalistics and claim that the version we have today is perfect and is the true version revealed all those years ago. To each their own.

(this is a fake account trolling us...right?)

#97 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'm sorry that since I have a job and cant stay on these forums, you think I don't know what im talking about. But I know what God has done for me, and noone can take that away from me. I'm done here, God bless you all. I will continue to pray for you all.

God might have done a lot for you but your church has made you a holier-than-thou no-fact-having douche. Pray for me all you want, won't change a thing.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#98 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

(this is a fake account trolling us...right?)

Not likely. Person has posted a bit in the deals section before sauntering into vs. Not that it means anything of course, but it doesn't look like an account purely to troll us.

#99 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Dammit - myke mentioned burritos a few posts back and now I want one.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#100 RealDeals

RealDeals

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Everyday I find myself drifting closer and closer to Agnosticism or atleast living a much more secular life because of shit like this. Religion is fine and I do like to focus on the positive aspects, but when people want to use religion as an excuse for their own prejudices (read: homophobia) to oppress other people... Makes me question, y'know?
http://t3.gstatic.co...4wtuy3FpqqoZSRA

Originally Posted by the4thnobleman Posted Image
I need power to come back on! I still need to spend $10 or so to get my $20. Stupid hurricane Sandy Vagina!

Posted Image

#101 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'm going to attempt to boil down the argument as concisely as possible:

• Chik-fil-A absolutely has the right to make such comments. They even have the right to refuse service to particular customers if they wish (as far as I know).
  • People absolutely have the right to boycott them.
  • Chik-fil-A does NOT have the right to use their profits to fund advocacy groups that advance laws supportive of THEIR religious doctrines, as that is an outright violation of a core principle this country was founded on.
This is a simplification (perhaps oversimplification), so feel free to correct me as needed, but as some point the discussion effectively enters filler stage, which is usually marked by a bunch of pro-insert-religious-dogma-angle-here.

Please note I am BORED AS SHIT at work, so while I haven't read the thread, I'm legit just trying to get something to pop up on my CAG User control panel just to keep sane.

Strell - the first amendment only applies to "state actors" (government) so Chik-fil-A can donate to whoever they want (the donations are probably considered "speech" under the first amendment). Things get trickier with refusing service because even though Chik-fil-A isn't a "state actor" they are subject to regulation through the interstate commerce clause of the constitution which gives the federal government the right to prohibit discrimination against minority groups by otherwise private businesses.... or something like that. It's been a while since Con Law.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#102 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

I think comparing the disapproval of the ability for homosexuals to marry to hating someone based on the color of their skin is ridiculous and distasteful as well as offensive to people who actually fought for something in the civil rights movement as apposed to just being a dick on an internet video game forum.

To me your bias is already standing out when you use the word Homosexual instead of Gay. Do you have a problem with Gay people?
I still find it funny that I don't think I was being a terrible dick on my passage and roe completely glosses it over. Why the Fuck should I recognize a God, at least how I was taught, was called "The King Of Kings" especially note that word, king.
Roe you do know the basis for the New Testament was Ancient Greek? If I remember correctly.

I thought it was Mycea, Myke.

Myke as for your co-opted argument doesn't that almost always happen whenever a movement is Charismatically led?
Lastly, for those making the MSG comments a few notes. Most of these people are fucking hypocrites. Sam Brownback is against Human Cloning but do you hear the man being actively against genetically modified food? No.
For MSG itself a few things to note. If some food doesn't have every component of MSG in it, they don't have to label it. Say, for instance, if it says it has Glutamate then they can cover that up by saying "natural flavors", "spices" and other such ambiguous words.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#103 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

off topic, but qdoba has BOGO on all entrees until the fourth.

http://slickdeals.ne...00&d=1343706749

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#104 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Appreciate the knowledge, J skrillz.

I shouldn't have used the word "right" up there. I meant it in a more generalized "here's you specifically taking measures to legally infringe on another group's rights," since I see it as less a venue toward exercising speech and more toward installing legal restrictions. This is somewhat analogous to the Mormon church heavily funding anti-Prop 8 measures in California a few years ago.

This might not change anything in terms of my argument, in which case, fair enough, and I appreciate the correction.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#105 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

off topic, but qdoba has BOGO on all entrees until the fourth.

http://slickdeals.ne...00&d=1343706749

I can't even imagine eating two of those things.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#106 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

For MSG itself a few things to note. If some food doesn't have every component of MSG in it, they don't have to label it. Say, for instance, if it says it has Glutamate then they can cover that up by saying "natural flavors", "spices" and other such ambiguous words.

Huh? Chick-fil-a lists MSG. It's not some left-winged conspiracy. And all I meant was MSG tricks our mind that food taste better than it is. So if they cut it out of their recipe, people won't think it's as good. I don't even know where genetically engineered foods came into play.

#107 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I can't even imagine eating two of those things.

That's where friends come in lol.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#108 kainzero

kainzero

scv good to go sir

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

And all I meant was MSG tricks our mind that food taste better than it is.

can't you say the same thing about salt?
Every day's great at your Junes!

#109 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Dammit - myke mentioned burritos a few posts back and now I want one.

You're a healthy dude. I swear that GNC's banana cream whey protein, mixed w/ plain soy milk, is fuckin' *identical* to Jello Banana Pudding Pops (which ceased production, I think, around 25 years ago.

Try it, I swear you'll like it. Unless you have that faux banana flavor, in which case you're an agent of satan.

(it's not a burrito, but it is my current fixation.)

Back to talking about MSG, then, I suppose.
Posted Image

#110 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

I remember those banana pudding pops. Things were pretty good, actually I could go for one right now. Damn you Myke....
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#111 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

This whole story seems like much ado about nothing to me.

Private company owners can say what they want and make whatever donations they see fit. As customers we can choose not to spend our money with companies who's views we oppose.

I already generally avoided Chick-Fil-A due to not wanting to give my money to such a religiously driven company. Occasionally gave in as there's shit for food near my campus office and there's one in the food court. Now I'll totally pass due to this.

Conversely, I'm even more apt to continue spending money at Amazon after their CEO donated $2.5 million to promote legalizing gay marriage in Washington.

Companies, and their owners, have free speech rights. And I have the freedom to not support companies who's views oppose my own. So I just don't see an issue worth all the outrage in some circles.

#112 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

I had no idea CFA was full of MSG. I might have to stop eating there.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#113 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

I have to wonder how much I can trust a company to not discriminate against employees/potential employees when their founder and leader thinks they're basically evil. It's like saying "I think you and your kind invite god's wrath down upon us, but we're an equal opportunity employer!"
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#114 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

This whole story seems like much ado about nothing to me.

Private company owners can say what they want and make whatever donations they see fit. As customers we can choose not to spend our money with companies who's views we oppose.

I already generally avoided Chick-Fil-A due to not wanting to give my money to such a religiously driven company. Occasionally gave in as there's shit for food near my campus office and there's one in the food court. Now I'll totally pass due to this.

Conversely, I'm even more apt to continue spending money at Amazon after their CEO donated $2.5 million to promote legalizing gay marriage in Washington.

Companies, and their owners, have free speech rights. And I have the freedom to not support companies who's views oppose my own. So I just don't see an issue worth all the outrage in some circles.

That's my exact same stance on all of this. I get tweaked by seeing both sides politicize this. There is nothing that says a person can't have a bigoted opinion, and even profess it loudly. There is nothing that says a person can't criticize that person or avoid doing business with them. All the rest is just grandstanding.

There was a coffee shop in Portland, OR who's anarchist owner refused to serve uniformed police (may have even said they couldn't enter his store). It got some attention because of the odd stance, but the cops said sure, that's his right, we'll go elsewhere, and the issue faded fast.

#115 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

You're a healthy dude. I swear that GNC's banana cream whey protein, mixed w/ plain soy milk, is fuckin' *identical* to Jello Banana Pudding Pops (which ceased production, I think, around 25 years ago.

Try it, I swear you'll like it. Unless you have that faux banana flavor, in which case you're an agent of satan.

(it's not a burrito, but it is my current fixation.)

Back to talking about MSG, then, I suppose.

Ummm why not just use milk? To me it seems like a waste of Soy Milk to mix it with milk protein.

I remember Dole's Chocolate pudding out of the can tastes nothing like it out of the cup. To this date I've never tasted anything matching it. Seems to me Dole must've changed their recipe and fucked the quality in the process.
Posted Image

#116 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

I have to wonder how much I can trust a company to not discriminate against employees/potential employees when their founder and leader thinks they're basically evil. It's like saying "I think you and your kind invite god's wrath down upon us, but we're an equal opportunity employer!"

That's an optional question on the Chickfila application:

Will you be likely to invite God's wrath upon us?

_ Yes
_ No
_ Prefer not to say

Ees7Y.jpg

#117 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Actually confoosius I believe the questionnaire asks about your relationship status and I don't mean the married or single one. Pretty fucking nosy if you ask me.
Posted Image

#118 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

That's an optional question on the Chickfila application:

Will you be likely to invite God's wrath upon us?

_ Yes
_ No
_ Prefer not to say

You know, this is actually a very interesting point despite being a joke. Asking a question like that would obviously be illegal, but they could ask optional self-identification questions to legally weed out applicants under the guise of being an EOE.

#119 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Actually confoosius I believe the questionnaire asks about your relationship status and I don't mean the married or single one. Pretty fucking nosy if you ask me.

I thought asking even marital status wasn't legal?

Ees7Y.jpg

#120 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

I've been asked plenty of illegal things in interviews, usually verbally though, hard to prove those.