MS Points?

JetEngineJesus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Seems like every few months some a-hole posts something along the lines of "ZOMG WHERES TEH BETS PLACE 2 BUY XBL POINTS 4 CHEAP". Well, this time, it looks like that a-hole is me! :applause:

Do they still have sales on MS Points...? I ran out of points ages ago, and have been keeping my eyes open for sales, but I haven't seen a deal on them in ages. Oh, for the long lost days of my youth, when MS Points would routinely go on sale for 25% off at TRU or RCSS...

JS3yS.png

Get the magazine at your local Futureshop.

Ditto ... just ran out a couple weeks ago. It's hard to buy them full price when you just *know* there's a sale coming soon. Right? Maybe? .... Hopefully?

It is a good thing I bought 10 of them when RCSS was selling it for $20 last November!

[quote name='poxsc']It is a good thing I bought 10 of them when RCSS was selling it for $20 last November![/QUOTE]

It's people like you that ruin it for everyone else. :applause:

[quote name='Chilly Chill']It's people like you that ruin it for everyone else. :applause:[/QUOTE]
Yeah.. pretty much. I only bought 2 of them at that time.

[quote name='Shinn23']Yeah.. pretty much. I only bought 2 of them at that time.[/QUOTE]

He just bought them for his personal use. I bought 5 myself, don't see what the big deal is.

I price-matched at The Source, got 10 of them. Is there a problem with that? :/ I don't see the issue with buying large quantities of something like this...

More on topic, I to, am out of points. >.< A sale would be welcome. Sorry for not actually helping. >.

[quote name='Chilly Chill']It's people like you that ruin it for everyone else. :applause:[/QUOTE]

How did I ruined it? It is not my fault if someone who bought 2 and felt it was enough for his needs only to find out months later, it wasn't enough! He is the only one to blame for his misfortunes.

[quote name='poxsc']How did I ruined it? It is not my fault if someone who bought 2 and felt it was enough for his needs only to find out months later, it wasn't enough! He is the only one to blame for his misfortunes.[/QUOTE]

It's called being greedy, a term I'm sure you're more than familiar with.

[quote name='poxsc']It is a good thing I bought 10 of them when RCSS was selling it for $20 last November![/QUOTE]

I'd rather reply to you then this dude with his panties in a bunch. Good for you for stocking up while there is a sale. I would call that "smart planning" over anything else.

[quote name='KAPBAM']I'd rather reply to you then this dude with his panties in a bunch. Good for you for stocking up while there is a sale. I would call that "smart planning" over anything else.[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight. Hording copies of games is looked down on but stockpiling cards isn't? Good to know.

[quote name='Chilly Chill']So let me get this straight. Hording copies of games is looked down on but stockpiling cards isn't? Good to know.[/QUOTE]

Would it be bad if someone bought $100 worth of microsoft points via xbox live? How is this any different?

Although, I would be pissed if I was at that store and I saw someone buying all the points cards. Raging in fact.

Personally I don't mind someone stockpiling for themselves and genuinely using the points, but I think it is lame to purchase great deals just to turn around and profit off others.

I've got 1400 and 2800 live points cards that I'm willing to let go of for $18 and $36 respectively. PM me if interested.

[quote name='Chilly Chill']It's called being greedy, a term I'm sure you're more than familiar with.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it as greedy. I see it as sustaining my needs efficiently at a minimum cost.

[quote name='TeaBisquit']Would it be bad if someone bought $100 worth of microsoft points via xbox live? How is this any different?

Although, I would be pissed if I was at that store and I saw someone buying all the points cards. Raging in fact.[/QUOTE]

Except the marketplace never runs out...

[quote name='Chilly Chill']So let me get this straight. Hording copies of games is looked down on but stockpiling cards isn't? Good to know.[/QUOTE]

That's a false comparison. By your standard anyone with a backlog of a few games would be hoarding. If I see a good sale on points I will buy enough points to last 6-12 months even if there's nothing I want right away because deals don't come around that often. Buying $200 worth of points is completely reasonable for someone that plays a lot of arcade games.

[quote name='maigoyume']I've got 1400 and 2800 live points cards that I'm willing to let go of for $18 and $36 respectively. PM me if interested.[/QUOTE]

PM sent! They shall be mine.

The point is, there's nothing wrong to hoard for personal use, or to help a friend(s), etc.

It's the people who buy in order to scalp them that should be grilled if anything.

[quote name='telepathy']The point is, there's nothing wrong to hoard for personal use, or to help a friend(s), etc.

It's the people who buy in order to scalp them that should be grilled if anything.[/QUOTE]
Buying some to use isn't the problem, it's buying the entire shelf that's what people get pissed about.

[quote name='chicoquente']Best Buy has an online sale right now and I was able to grab a PSN card for 15% off and I assume it would work on MS Points as well.[/QUOTE]

How were you able to order a PSN card? They show 15% off, but there is no order button, it just says 'In store only' and the button is greyed out.

That's interesting. They must have changed it. I ordered it right when the sale started and the button was not greyed out. The MS Points still show "Add to cart"

[quote name='chicoquente']That's interesting. They must have changed it. I ordered it right when the sale started and the button was not greyed out. The MS Points still show "Add to cart"[/QUOTE]

Yeah MS Points definitely still work. I ordered a couple 1400 cards for myself. Seems the PSN cards are the only thing they changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='telepathy']The point is, there's nothing wrong to hoard for personal use, or to help a friend(s), etc.

It's the people who buy in order to scalp them that should be grilled if anything.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you there. Getting these cards for personal use is like making your money more valuable so you can buy more games at a better price. Nothing wrong there.

[quote name='Chilly Chill']Can't say I'm surprised none of you neckbeards agree with me, considering the site is called "cheapassgamer"[/QUOTE]

Why are you here? They've been looking for you at troll.com They are very worried about you Timmy.

[quote name='KAPBAM']I agree with you there. Getting these cards for personal use is like making your money more valuable so you can buy more games at a better price. Nothing wrong there.

Why are you here? They've been looking for you at troll.com They are very worried about you Timmy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you'll notice him over at hoardflagdeals too. Every post he makes on either site is troll in nature. Just another high school kid out for the summer :lol:

I've started getting mine at costco unless they are on sale elsewhere, mainly because 2800 points is about $4 cheaper there than anywhere else. Also, be sure to sign up for rewards.xbox.com where you can earn points for doing usual stuff. I've earned 1600 over the past year. Sure it's not "OMG look at all these points" but free is free :)

[quote name='poxsc']It is a good thing I bought 10 of them when RCSS was selling it for $20 last November![/QUOTE] Normally, I think stockpiling points is fine -- I spent a lot of money when Walmart had that multi-buy thing, especially on PSN cards. But wasn't the RCSS thing limit to two per person? Leave some cardboard for other people...

[quote name='Korahn']I've started getting mine at costco unless they are on sale elsewhere, mainly because 2800 points is about $4 cheaper there than anywhere else.[/QUOTE] I would buy from Costco, but since they add tax to their points, the savings isn't worth it. I might as well save the gas and just walk over to Walmart or Shoppers instead of saving a few cents.

[quote name='Korahn']Also, be sure to sign up for rewards.xbox.com where you can earn points for doing usual stuff. I've earned 1600 over the past year. Sure it's not "OMG look at all these points" but free is free :)[/QUOTE] Actually, I am surprised that you managed to get that many points in the course of a year. I only get like 20 pts every month for doing their survey, 400 pts for renewing and some other bonuses. Most of the other monthly things require spending a lot more pts than I care to on stuff like avatar crap and other DLC.

[quote name='Mr.']Actually, I am surprised that you managed to get that many points in the course of a year. I only get like 20 pts every month for doing their survey, 400 pts for renewing and some other bonuses. Most of the other monthly things require spending a lot more pts than I care to on stuff like avatar crap and other DLC.[/QUOTE]

I signed up almost a year ago, and have earned 1100 points. I only participate in the promotions that I want (no avatar crap), and so far it's been great.

Not to add fuel to the fire nor troll but I thought I would add my thoughts to the discussion on hoarding.

Disclaimer: When RCSS had the 50% sale on MS Points, I price-matched the sale price at a local Wal-mart for 10 cards in total (2800 points each). By doing this I did not clear the shelves as there were literally 50+ cards left (as they stocked them like gift cards and were cashier activated).

I have to agree that hoarding is taking more than you will use AND denying someone else the deal. Some scenarios as illustration:

Hoarding:

A) I buy 3 copies of a game thus clearing the shelves (or otherwise denying someone who goes to the same location to buy the game from getting it) just to sell the game at a profit. Note: Extra copies for others at (or near) cost is excluded - see scenario C.

Not Hoarding:
B) Buying multiple copies of something that is functionally infinite in supply (i.e. cashier activated point cards). Note: I have never seen a store run-out of these new types of points cards. I have seen clam-shell cards run-out.

C) Buying copies for friends at or near cost.

Heya nerds, since it looks like MS is moving towards real-money game purchases with Windows8, thought I'd resurrect this old chestnut. From what (admittedly little) I've read, MS Points will still be valid, and you should still be able to purchase points cards, but I'm guessing this is a move to start phasing out MS Points in favour of local currency.
As such, might not be a bad idea to pick up some cheap extra points; cheap points + sale-priced XBL stuff = double dipping on the dealzzz! Pretty unlikely that "local currency" will ever go on sale... :p
Anyway, I picked up a 4000 point card from crazygametime a few months ago, and didn't have any problems with it. Going to grab another batch of 4k when I get home tonight.

http://www.crazygametime.com/

Crazy Gametime is awesome. They'll give you a verification code via a callback before completing your order. Used my cell number just fine and got my code in e-mail for 4000 MSP literally 5 mins. after.

I wish they can do the same thing for PSN cards

There's a lot of talk going around that the point system is gonna be phased out for real money transactions. Love the deals I've gotten on point cards over the years (which I won't see anymore if things turn to real money), but at the same time parity is worth more long term.

Has anyone had problems getting the phone call? Entered my number and never got the call...

Edit: had a 1 at the start apparently it didn't like that :p

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back