Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance Review

wrecktum662

CAGiversary!
Although I'm a HUGE Kingdom Hearts fans, I say with the most unbiased (or at least as unbiased as I can be) that this is a very solid game. I have yet to see a 3DS game that has been able to make the 3D so pleasant to the eye, as I was able to play through the entirety of the game without the slightest nuisance or headache (something that other games have given me). However, the 3D is not perfect, as certain glowing effects present in the worlds or magic do cause a "double vision" effect. Nonetheless it is a very well done 3D presentation. Graphically, the visuals are stunning and of very high quality.

As for the story, I would equate this game to the "Inception" of the Kingdom Hearts universe. Even having played every other installment in both the North American and Final Mix versions, the story to KH3D left me rather confused quite often. Although a bit bothersome, there was enough explained to leave me understanding enough of what was going on to make it tolerable, though I really wish I understood more.

Many who have gotten into the game but have yet to beat it feel that, for most of what they played, it is not very important in the lore of the KH universe. Although this seems like a viable opinion on the game, as someone who has played through it in it's entirety, I cannot stress enough as to the importance that the last quarter of the game has for KH3. Masses of information are revealed that would leave anyone who skips it for KH3 entirely confused. Perhaps most notable is the fact that the game truly develops to show you just how much of a threat Xehanort truly is.

The gameplay mechanics are highly entertaining and will keep you experimenting throughout. The Flow-motion may take a little adjusting to, but is a welcome addition and proves incredibly useful during some fights. The "pet sim" portion for your dream-eater companions is a nice little nintendogs-esque distraction, and a new game called "flick rush" is quite entertaining. How Riku and Sora interact with their companions is very different and offers a nice change of pace, as does the whole game with it's "drop" system. This system keeps the story going for both characters back to back. A bar indicated how long you have until the next "drop" and with each drop you switch between Riku and Sora, though items can be used to accelerate or decelerate the speed of the drop gauge. This does a wonderful job of showing how the 2 are indirectly working together to achieve a certain goal and fills in holes in the story that many who played Birth By Sleep didn't understand until playing as all 3 characters. Something that 3D does much like BBS is the way in which it handles commands, which works in almost the exact same format.

Overall, Dream Drop Distance is a welcome addition to the Kingdom Hearts universe in my eyes and was worth buying the 3DS and circle pad pro (more helpful than you'd think) just for the game. And of course, the sleepless night. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the KH series, or to anyone who just wants a handheld game that offers pure fun with a fascinating story. A demo is available for download via the Nintendo shop for anyone interested, so give it a shot, you won't regret it.

In After Dreams, a seemingly endearing and pleasant world, danger is always lurking nearby. As a skilled Dream Painter, Sophie has to travel through different fairy tales, using her skills to transform her paintings into attacking powers. You must know the 5th Avenue, but have you heard 7Road? 7Road is a Chinese company who developed mmorpg Wartune. Wartune is really awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back