Defense Grid 1 & 2 for $15

Torrwin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
The folks at Hidden Path entertainment have just "opened up the floodgates", so to speak on the Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter.

**NEW TIERS ADDED**
Get the $30 Tier plus a Razer Naga Hex gaming mouse, Red for $107, Green for $108

The video cards are sold out, but you can still get some great deals on the digital content and help support the game as well.

Tiers
$15 -> Full copies of Defense Grid 1 & Defense Grid 2 (when available) on Steam
$30 -> Above rewards + All DG1 DLC, and extra additional digital content
$50 -> Above rewards + beta access to DG2
$75 -> Above rewards + DG poster and two extra copies of all digital content
$100 -> Above rewards + T-Shirt and signed copy of the poster
$150 -> Above rewards + 8GB Gun Tower USB stick + Fletcher button
$175 -> Above rewards + all 3 t-shirts
$225 -> Above rewards + Razer Naga Hex gaming mouse

More Details
DG1 is available via email almost immediately. You get to keep the game even if the Kickstarter doesn't make the goal.
The video cards are rumored to be the 1GB PowerColor models.
**The video cards will be shipped in September**

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FadeToOne']That's a pretty good deal just for the video card.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is. If I was in the market for one I would consider it. Wish they had a similar deal with the mouse, but you can only get the mouse with the $225 tier. It's like a $70 mouse on amazon so no go.

That's actually a really good deal by about $50 off the card, not including the games. Great card too, currently using one from Sapphire myself.

[quote name='BigBizzee']What does this card usually sell for?[/QUOTE]
About $170 before any rebates going on at the time.

[quote name='Torrwin']The folks at Hidden Path entertainment have just "opened up the floodgates", so to speak on the Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter.

For $15 you get full copies of Defense Grid 1 and Defense Grid 2
For $30 you get all of the above plus all DG1 DLC.
For an extra $90 you can add an AMD Radeon HD 6870 video card.

So $90 + 15 = $105, or $90 + 30 = $120. That's a hell of a deal.

There are lots of other tiers as well that you can add the video cards to, and there is also an AMD Radeon HD 6770 tier.

Edit: The video cards are rumored to be the 1GB Sapphire models, but this has not been confirmed. Also, they are limited to 300 6780's and 300 6770's.[/QUOTE]

Edit: Read it all wrong, OP is correct. There is also an $85 tier for a 6770 too if someone just wants that.

Great stuff! Thank you! I am building a comp for my brother-in-law for christmas and this was perfect! Plus I get a great game :p Ha, I bought this same card in January for myself at 168 on amazon.

Oh wow, I have been eyeballing these cards for awhile as I kick around getting back into the PC world. Neogaf suggests these are the best bang for your video card buck at the $170 price tag. If they confirmed the card i'd probably seal my future and start picking up things for a build finally.

From the comments

Do we know what the specs are on the video cards? (e.g. ram amount, ports, etc) AMD has 35 different 6870's and 25 different 6770's listed on their site.

Creator Hidden Path Entertainment, AMD & Razer about 19 hours ago

I was told causally that they would be supplied by Sapphire, and I believe they are 1GB cards, but both of these points have not been verified.

Not til December though and the way to get he card seems stupidly convoluted. You end up paying about what the card costs from newegg when shipping is factored in.

Not til December though and the way to get he card seems stupidly convoluted. You end up paying about what the card costs from newegg when shipping is factored in.

Actually, that's a typo. The video cards will be delivered in September, and DG1 is available via email almost immediately.

From the official comments:
Creator Hidden Path Entertainment, AMD & Razer about 1 hour ago

The video cards should ship in September. AMD says they'll have them to us by September 1st. Then it is just the time for us to turn them around to you.

I really need a new card as my (loyal but ancient) 3850 died recently and this is a great price. When would they send out the card?

If it's the Dec estimate, I'll pass since the 6000 series cards are likely to drop much lower before then.

Is this card good for say, Guild Wars 2? I know that game in particular has problems with a lot of cards below a certain level.

Most of the reviews are positive, aside from several saying that they couldn't get it to work with 3 monitors. That's not a problem to me so..

[quote name='Torrwin']Actually, that's a typo. The video cards will be delivered in September, and DG1 is available via email almost immediately.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? If so, then $105 for a 6870 is a steal. I need a crap ASAP but for that much, I can wait until September. I really hope it is September too, since I'll be out of town for most of August. I went ahead a pledged.

[quote name='Xellos2099']How much better is a 6870 from a gtx 275?[/QUOTE]

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/520?vs=540

The 6870 kills the GTX 285 in nearly all aspects (and uses a lot less power!) so it'll be a huge jump from your 275, which I think which a notably weaker than then the 285.

So pledging the $105 Tier alone will get you the 6870, right? The wording is very confusing but I just want to be sure

For the type of game, the video card itself seems like a bit overkill. Still a great price, would've jumped on it a month ago.

[quote name='SeanTM22']So pledging the $105 Tier alone will get you the 6870, right? The wording is very confusing but I just want to be sure[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is correct as I understand it.

I bought an HD 6870 graphics card when they first came out, I paid $220 for it IRC and it has handled pretty much everything I've thrown at it in max settings without any problems, very good card, for $105 is a steal. I might consider getting a second one for CrossFireX support but I can't afford it at the moment

This is still eating away at me. I'm about ready to crack and pitch in but just to be sure, we only get our video cards if the kickstarter reaches its goal, correct?

[quote name='orcishlad']This is still eating away at me. I'm about ready to crack and pitch in but just to be sure, we only get our video cards if the kickstarter reaches its goal, correct?[/QUOTE]

That's correct, but if it doesn't you'll still get to keep your copies of Defense Grid on Steam. Kind of a win-win situation.

I caved and pledged for the 6870. I had been looking at a new card and was going to wait until Black Friday, but if I get this September for this price then I am happy. Getting DG1 and DG2 eventually is just icing on the cake.

[quote name='RoboPhish']OP, I just did the $105 pledge and received a code for the DG1 and all the DLC for steam. Can you update to reflect this?[/QUOTE]

Also worth noting that every pledge level gets you the first game, and that the $30 amount nets you the DLC (among other things).

[quote name='vlv723']Do we get charged now or after 7 days? That video card can be a good start for me to build a new gaming rig.[/QUOTE]

On Kickstarter you only get charged after the project meets it's goal. So, in 7 days if they reach at least $250k. Otherwise, you'll get charged nothing.

Also, all payments go through Amazon's payment service, so it's very trustworthy.

[quote name='vlv723']Do we get charged now or after 7 days? That video card can be a good start for me to build a new gaming rig.[/QUOTE]
CML for a better way to start a new rig ;).

Thanks, OP!

Those are some really great prices for some graphics card. Been looking at the 6770 series since last week (just ordered a new PSU to handle it). Too bad the $85 tier which includes the 6770 says, "Est. delivery: Dec 2012." I'm not willing to wait that long for it.

If anyone has any doubts, the card will run anything you throw at it on max settings. With more and more games being (sadly) ports of console titles, it more than copes. I think only Skyrim this gen has given it a run for its money, but still runs at over 30 FPS with max settings. All the games I've tested on it were at 1980x1200 as well.

I use a Diamond 6770 (Shift 2 edition) so for about $100 to upgrade a bit won't be bad at all.
Edit: Never mind I found my answer.

I just wanted to state that I have two XFX 6870 cards in Crossfire mode and they are wonderful -- play anything to date maxed out at 1080p res with a i7 960 o/c to 3.7ghz. AMD drivers are a bit wonky sometimes, but I can vouch for these cards in Crossfire mode.

I'm still confused here, the graphics cards are going to be shipped out in September or December? I can't find anything that says that...

For the 6770, it says it'll ship in September but for the 6870 there's no mention of when it'll ship.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']Too bad the $85 tier which includes the 6770 says, "Est. delivery: Dec 2012." I'm not willing to wait that long for it.[/QUOTE]

Again, that date is incorrect. If you look at the comments section of the Kickstarter website you'll find the following:

[quote name='Creator Hidden Path Entertainment, AMD & Razer']
The video cards should ship in September. AMD says they'll have them to us by September 1st. Then it is just the time for us to turn them around to you. [/QUOTE]

6870's are great. I paid $180 for mine over a year ago and haven't regretted it one bit.

looks like the $105 tier is sold out. so does that mean if i paid $110, I won't get the card? i really hate the wording on this thing and am torn on trying the $110 for the hope of getting the higher end card vs just paying $85 and getting in on the lower end one. anyone know?

bread's done
Back