2012 Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" Thread

pitfallharry219

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
(stolen from Danimal's fantastic OP last year)

Hey Guys! Welcome back to another season of the NFL, and (maybe more importantly) another season of fantasy football!

If you're new to this thread, it's a place where you can ask other fantasy football fanatics for opinions on who you should target in your draft, who you should start, who you should try to trade for, whatever. All opinions are welcome, and the last couple years that I've done a thread like this, we've had a really cool group of regular posters who are always very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. So don't be afraid to ask any football questions- you're sure to get some solid advice here.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!

I'm in a keeper league where we keep 3 players. My keepers are:
Arian Foster
Larry Fitzgerald
The question is who is my 3rd keeper?
MJD/Marshawn Lynch/Wes Welker

If MJD gets signed before our draft (Aug 30th) he's my guy but right now its up in the air. I like Lynch, but he's a question mark, and I'd rather keep 2 RB's so Welker is the odd man out.

Also, I have first pick and Aaron Rodgers is coming back into the draft pool as well as LeSean McCoy. 99.9% sure I'm taking Rodgers over McCoy.

[quote name='ScottBigGame']I'm in a keeper league where we keep 3 players. My keepers are:
Arian Foster
Larry Fitzgerald
The question is who is my 3rd keeper?
MJD/Marshawn Lynch/Wes Welker

If MJD gets signed before our draft (Aug 30th) he's my guy but right now its up in the air. I like Lynch, but he's a question mark, and I'd rather keep 2 RB's so Welker is the odd man out.

Also, I have first pick and Aaron Rodgers is coming back into the draft pool as well as LeSean McCoy. 99.9% sure I'm taking Rodgers over McCoy.[/QUOTE]

MJD if he signs. Lynch might be facing another suspension for DUI. Aaron Rodgers would be my choice, especially if you are keeping two RBs already.

[quote name='gravel']MJD if he signs. Lynch might be facing another suspension for DUI. Aaron Rodgers would be my choice, especially if you are keeping two RBs already.[/QUOTE]

Lets say MJD hasn't signed by my draft date (Aug 30) do I keep Welker over Lynch?

Yeah, I have to take Rodgers. The next best QB's that won't be kept are Romo, Manning (both) and Rivers. Rodgers is just way too good to pass up. With my 2nd and 3rd picks I'll be able to get a quality RB.

I have a question that's been on my mind for the past couple days. Bought my first magazine for the year, and when looking through their mock draft, I notice they have Graham and Gronkowski going late first / early second round.

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to draft either of them as I think you can get a decent TE late, but are these guys smoking crack or is it legitimate that they could actually go that high?

[quote name='JStryke']I have a question that's been on my mind for the past couple days. Bought my first magazine for the year, and when looking through their mock draft, I notice they have Graham and Gronkowski going late first / early second round.

Now, I'm not saying I'm going to draft either of them as I think you can get a decent TE late, but are these guys smoking crack or is it legitimate that they could actually go that high?[/QUOTE]

In my standard scoring(non-PPR) league, Gronkowski was the 6th highest scoring flex player(RB/WR/TE). There was only one WR ahead of him, Calvin Johnson. He was about 50 points ahead of Jimmy Graham, and Graham was 60 points ahead of the next highest TE, Aaron Hernandez. Looking at the 110 point gap between first and third, it looks like it makes sense if you expect a similar season from Gronk this year. There were 6 QBs before you have a 110 point gap, 9 RBs, and 20 WRs.

The question is, with all of the weapons in NE, will Gronk get as many catches and TDs this year?

ESPN is reporting Cedric Benson will sign in GB. I guess Starks had a disappointing game in the first preseason game, and GB didn't like their depth without Grant anymore. Starks will still be the #1 back, but they like Benson as an inside rusher. I wonder if he will end up stealing TDs from Starks, and they still have Kuhn for the goal line too.

[quote name='gravel']In my standard scoring(non-PPR) league, Gronkowski was the 6th highest scoring flex player(RB/WR/TE). There was only one WR ahead of him, Calvin Johnson. He was about 50 points ahead of Jimmy Graham, and Graham was 60 points ahead of the next highest TE, Aaron Hernandez. Looking at the 110 point gap between first and third, it looks like it makes sense if you expect a similar season from Gronk this year. There were 6 QBs before you have a 110 point gap, 9 RBs, and 20 WRs.

The question is, with all of the weapons in NE, will Gronk get as many catches and TDs this year?[/QUOTE]

Of the two top TEs, I would expect Graham to be more likely to repeat than Gronkowski. The fact NE has so many weapons (and two TEs) is scary. It is good to know that I'm not losing my mind though.

Of course, where I'm at in my draft (PPR, first year doing such), it may be irrelevant anyways.

Looking for some trade help.

Got offered J.Charles for my Eli Manning.
My team:
Stafford
E.Manning
Freeman
Forte
Sproles
F Jax
G.Jennings
R.WHite
Torrey Smith
Cowboys
Akers

Thanks in advance

[quote name='frostybroc']Looking for some trade help.

My team:
Stafford
E.Manning
Freeman
Forte
Sproles
F Jax
G.Jennings
R.WHite
Torrey Smith
Cowboys
Akers

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]
How many do you start at each position? Eli Manning should be worth more than a RB coming off a major injury, but if Charles is healthy, he could have a big year.

[quote name='gravel']How many do you start at each position? Eli Manning should be worth more than a RB coming off a major injury, but if Charles is healthy, he could have a big year.[/QUOTE]

Beware of Hillis vulturing TDs, though.

[quote name='frostybroc']Looking for some trade help.

My team:
Stafford
E.Manning
Freeman
Forte
Sproles
F Jax
G.Jennings
R.WHite
Torrey Smith
Cowboys
Akers

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

I'd pass or counter in a heartbeat. 2 reasons why... 1) Charles is coming off a fairly major injury and 2) his backfield is more crowded this year than it was before. Also have to look over your QBs, E. Manning is much better than Freeman (though TB did build up around him) and far less injury prone Stafford. I don't see Charles being the major player he was in 2010 and the last thing you want is to give up potentially your best & most reliable QB for him.

To the keeper question: definitely keep MJD, regardless. He will play this year, so don't fret. If it wasn't a keeper league I would say to just avoid him, but he is that offense in Jacksonville, and they won't let him sit on the couch and take another horrifying season because of contract issues. If it comes down to it you can always trade him for players that are on the same level, if not better than Welker and company.

For the Eli-Charles deal, I'd take Charles if you're only starting one QB. He has far too much big play potential, and Hillis wont do shit except vulture a few TDs. Freeman should be improved and you should only need a second QB for the Lions bye week, anyway, so dont worry about carrying a ton of QBs. I'm positive there will be a decent option on the waiver wire as well if you have no faith in Freeman, should the situation arrive that you need a backup.

[quote name='gravel']In my standard scoring(non-PPR) league, Gronkowski was the 6th highest scoring flex player(RB/WR/TE). There was only one WR ahead of him, Calvin Johnson. He was about 50 points ahead of Jimmy Graham, and Graham was 60 points ahead of the next highest TE, Aaron Hernandez. Looking at the 110 point gap between first and third, it looks like it makes sense if you expect a similar season from Gronk this year. There were 6 QBs before you have a 110 point gap, 9 RBs, and 20 WRs.

The question is, with all of the weapons in NE, will Gronk get as many catches and TDs this year?[/QUOTE]

I did a couple Mocks last night where Gronk really didn't last beyond mid-second round. The issue I have taking him that early is it can really cripple you at RB. Of course if RB wasn't so weak we wouldn't be taking Gronk in the top of the second at all. It just seems scary to roll the dice at RB but unless you pick at the top of the First. Would you rather have the 6th best (maybe) RB or the very Best TE putting up WR1 numbers. You will probably "win" that position every week with Gronk or Ghraham. And roll the dice later with the fantasy Football equivalent of RBBC drating the Trent Richardson's of the world and praying somebody "pops".

I'm looking for some help choosing my one and only keeper. We do a fairly standard scoring league (no bonuses but QBs get 6 points for a throwing TD) and we start 2QBs. We cannot keep any of our top 5 picks so the talent pool gets shuffled around a bit from year to year. I've narrowed it down to:

Jimmy Graham (costs me my 12th round pick)
Matthew Stafford (costs me my 5th round pick)
Wes Welker (costs me my 9th round pick)

I'm leaning towards Jimmy Graham because of the huge value (he is projected as a second round pick by most sites) but since I do a 2QB league Stafford has a ton of value at a #5 pick. Welker is also a great value because he would only cost me a 9th round pick.

Is Jimmy Graham the no-brainer here and I'm just over-thinking it? Any thoughts?

[quote name='Javery']I'm looking for some help choosing my one and only keeper. We do a fairly standard scoring league (no bonuses but QBs get 6 points for a throwing TD) and we start 2QBs. We cannot keep any of our top 5 picks so the talent pool gets shuffled around a bit from year to year. I've narrowed it down to:

Jimmy Graham (costs me my 12th round pick)
Matthew Stafford (costs me my 5th round pick)
Wes Welker (costs me my 9th round pick)

I'm leaning towards Jimmy Graham because of the huge value (he is projected as a second round pick by most sites) but since I do a 2QB league Stafford has a ton of value at a #5 pick. Welker is also a great value because he would only cost me a 9th round pick.

Is Jimmy Graham the no-brainer here and I'm just over-thinking it? Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I'd keep Jimmy Graham over Welker or Stafford. The value you get by getting Graham in the 12th outweighs getting Stafford in the 5th, and there are enough QBs to go around to get two solid ones in the draft. Welker, while good, would never be worth keeping over Graham with the round disparity.

Need some keeper advice.

12-team 1/2 point PPR league. Can keep 2, My options are as followed.

Calvin Johnson lose a 1st round and 14th round pick (I think I'm drafting 6th overall)
Matt Stafford lose a 3rd
Wes Welker a 4th
Reggie Bush an 8th
Roy Helu an 11th

Thanks in advance.

Depending on the QBs kept, I'd keep CJ and Welker. Megatron is drafted 4th 5th or 6th anyway so you are only sacrificing a 14th round pick (big deal).

Do you have to keep 2, or is there an option to keep only one? I only ask because I am in several "flexible" keeper leagues.

Why is Megatron costing you 2 picks?

I think about keeping Stafford because he is almost guaranteed to put up points but he will probably go in the 3rd anyway. The best value is probably Helu who will go in the 6th or 7th.

[quote name='Javery']Why is Megatron costing you 2 picks?

I think about keeping Stafford because he is almost guaranteed to put up points but he will probably go in the 3rd anyway. The best value is probably Helu who will go in the 6th or 7th.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you on Helu, he also has several backs to compete with. Remember, Shanny is still in Washington and Helu has not ran away with the job by any means.

[quote name='HydroX']Depending on the QBs kept, I'd keep CJ and Welker. Megatron is drafted 4th 5th or 6th anyway so you are only sacrificing a 14th round pick (big deal).

Do you have to keep 2, or is there an option to keep only one? I only ask because I am in several "flexible" keeper leagues.[/QUOTE]

I could keep one or none... Two picks for Calvin because he was drafted in round one instead of moving up a round (not possible) you lose a late pick.

[quote name='Javery']

Is Jimmy Graham the no-brainer here and I'm just over-thinking it? Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

You're over-thinking it. Graham for such a late pick has nothing but upside written all over it, especially if you are in a league where you have to play a TE. The guy you are picking in the 12th is going to likely be a backup or kicker anyhow.

[quote name='DestroVega']Need some keeper advice.

Calvin Johnson lose a 1st round and 14th round pick (I think I'm drafting 6th overall)
Matt Stafford lose a 3rd
Wes Welker a 4th
Reggie Bush an 8th
Roy Helu an 11th

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

You could probably go with either CJ & Stafford or CJ& Welker and be perfectly okay. Personally I like the Stafford & Megatron combo, provided Stafford is on the field and healthy you can certainly clean up if Detroit has a really good day it's almost a certain win, on the flip side if they tank out there it's harder for your team to recover.

Then again Welker is usually a beast in PPR leagues and you can trust him to stay healthy more so than Stafford...

[quote name='HydroX']While I agree with you on Helu, he also has several backs to compete with. Remember, Shanny is still in Washington and Helu has not ran away with the job by any means.[/QUOTE]

Exactly you never know who will get the majority share of carries with Shanahan coaching a team and they have a QB now who can certainly run the ball as well...

[quote name='DestroVega']Need some keeper advice.

Matt Stafford lose a 3rd
Wes Welker a 4th
Reggie Bush an 8th
Roy Helu an 11th

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

CJ and Welker. The combination of Stafford and CJ can win you weeks practically by themselves, but I feel that Welker in the 4th is a stronger pick than Stafford in the 3rd. You can't go wrong picking Stafford over Welker though.

Draft is next week and I'm still undecided on my last keeper for my team. Stuck on either Toby Gehart (also have AP on my team so really want to keep him in case AP goes down again) or Darrius Heyward Bey (showed great chemistry with Palmer towards the end of the season and according to depth charts, he's their #1).

I've already kept Brandon Lloyd and Demaryius Thomas and the league is PPR.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Need some advice on who my keeper should be, 10 team league no PPR:

Cam Newton
Steven Jackson
Greg Jennings
Steve Smith (Panthers)[/QUOTE]

I would probably keep Cam Newton, but that's just me.

[quote name='TheRock88']Draft is next week and I'm still undecided on my last keeper for my team. Stuck on either Toby Gehart (also have AP on my team so really want to keep him in case AP goes down again) or Darrius Heyward Bey (showed great chemistry with Palmer towards the end of the season and according to depth charts, he's their #1).

I've already kept Brandon Lloyd and Demaryius Thomas and the league is PPR.[/QUOTE]
Heyward-Bey.

My last keeper is down to Aaron Hernandez, Legarrette Blount, (edit: Cedric Benson too) and Stevan Ridley. I'm thinking I have to go with Hernandez, but that would mean I only have 1 RB going into the draft. I think I'm over-thinking things, but my keepers are due on Saturday, and keeping another RB is tempting me. I just wish I could see more of Ridley and Blount/Martin before the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gravel']My last keeper is down to Aaron Hernandez, Legarrette Blount, (edit: Cedric Benson too) and Stevan Ridley. I'm thinking I have to go with Hernandez, but that would mean I only have 1 RB going into the draft. I think I'm over-thinking things, but my keepers are due on Saturday, and keeping another RB is tempting me. I just wish I could see more of Ridley and Blount/Martin before the draft.[/QUOTE]

Hernandez is an easy pick. Value over position depth, and none of those RBs are that great on paper anyway.

[quote name='gravel']My last keeper is down to Aaron Hernandez, Legarrette Blount, (edit: Cedric Benson too) and Stevan Rudely. I'm thinking I have to go with Hernandez, but that would mean I only have 1 RB going into the draft. I think I'm over-thinking things, but my keepers are due on Saturday, and keeping another RB is tempting me. I just wish I could see more of Rudely and Blount/Martin before the draft.[/QUOTE]

Stay away from riddely, his recent fumbles and injury today in practice(unknown how serious) and his crappy pass blocking in the first pre season game are costing him the job. Vereen was getting all of the first team reps today. I like riddley, but if he is hurt or in the coaches dog house I dont want him.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Stay away from riddely, his recent fumbles and injury today in practice(unknown how serious) and his crappy pass blocking in the first pre season game are costing him the job. Vereen was getting all of the first team reps today. I like riddley, but if he is hurt or in the coaches dog house I dont want him.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I didn't know about the injury. Looks like it might be his hamstring. He's good from what I've seen, and he could put up a ton of points if he ends up being the starter, but so could Vereen.

[quote name='G33']I'd keep Jimmy Graham over Welker or Stafford. The value you get by getting Graham in the 12th outweighs getting Stafford in the 5th, and there are enough QBs to go around to get two solid ones in the draft. Welker, while good, would never be worth keeping over Graham with the round disparity.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - this is exactly what I did. Graham in the 12th round was just too good to pass up.

[quote name='Javery']Thanks - this is exactly what I did. Graham in the 12th round was just too good to pass up.[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous he even went that late last year.

Just had my first draft if people want to tell me my team sucks. Drafted 9 of 10.

QB - Drew Brees
RB - Maurice Jones Drew
RB - Trent Richardson
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Reggie Wayne
TE - Aaron Hernandez
K - David Akers
DEF - Packers

B - Shonne Greene
B - CJ Spiller
B - Deangelo Williams
B - Titus Young
B - Denarius Moore
B - Jacob Tamme

I wasn't going to go for a backup TE, but he was my last round pick so figured what the hell. I see him as trade bait as I expect a good year from him. Only pick I don't like is Reggis Wayne, since that round, I had three picks before me and I had three guys on my watch list. They went back to back to back so that messed me up.

[quote name='JStryke']Just had my first draft if people want to tell me my team sucks. Drafted 9 of 10.

QB - Drew Brees
RB - Maurice Jones Drew
RB - Trent Richardson
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Reggie Wayne
TE - Aaron Hernandez
K - David Akers
DEF - Packers

B - Shonne Greene
B - CJ Spiller
B - Deangelo Williams
B - Titus Young
B - Denarius Moore
B - Jacob Tamme

I wasn't going to go for a backup TE, but he was my last round pick so figured what the hell. I see him as trade bait as I expect a good year from him. Only pick I don't like is Reggis Wayne, since that round, I had three picks before me and I had three guys on my watch list. They went back to back to back so that messed me up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, your RB and WR (mostly WR) need some improvement but its decent. 7.5/10 (but really decent for 9th pick)

[quote name='JStryke']Just had my first draft if people want to tell me my team sucks. Drafted 9 of 10.

QB - Drew Brees
RB - Maurice Jones Drew
RB - Trent Richardson
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Reggie Wayne
TE - Aaron Hernandez
K - David Akers
DEF - Packers

B - Shonne Greene
B - CJ Spiller
B - Deangelo Williams
B - Titus Young
B - Denarius Moore
B - Jacob Tamme

I wasn't going to go for a backup TE, but he was my last round pick so figured what the hell. I see him as trade bait as I expect a good year from him. Only pick I don't like is Reggis Wayne, since that round, I had three picks before me and I had three guys on my watch list. They went back to back to back so that messed me up.[/QUOTE]

Need more depth at WR, especially if you are required to start 3 and there's no flex spot. But honestly for drafting 9th you could've done a lot worse.

Hey guys, trade question here. I'm wondering if I should Trade Rivers for Reggie Wayne and Robert Meachem. 10 team league (3rd pick).

QB- Aaron Rodgers
RB- Darren McFadden
RB- DeMarco Murray
WR- Julio Jones
WR- Jeremy Maclin
TE- Fred Davis
FLEX- Doug Martin
D/ST- 49ers D/ST
K- David Akers

B- Philip Rivers
B- James Starks
B- Justin Blackmon
B- Andrew Luck
B- Donald Brown
B- Jacob Tamme
B- Greg Little
B- Packers D/ST
B- Cedric Benson

I picked Rivers in the 5th round because I thought I could start him at the FLEX. Now I'm trying to deal him, but being only a 10 team league almost everyone has a good QB so I'm going to have to sell low.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Hey guys, trade question here. I'm wondering if I should Trade Rivers for Reggie Wayne and Robert Meachem. 10 team league (3rd pick).

QB- Aaron Rodgers
RB- Darren McFadden
RB- DeMarco Murray
WR- Julio Jones
WR- Jeremy Maclin
TE- Fred Davis
FLEX- Doug Martin
D/ST- 49ers D/ST
K- David Akers

B- Philip Rivers
B- James Starks
B- Justin Blackmon
B- Andrew Luck
B- Donald Brown
B- Jacob Tamme
B- Greg Little
B- Packers D/ST
B- Cedric Benson

I picked Rivers in the 5th round because I thought I could start him at the FLEX. Now I'm trying to deal him, but being only a 10 team league almost everyone has a good QB so I'm going to have to sell low.[/QUOTE]

If you can't start 2 QBS I'd honestly pull the trigger on that. Let's face facts that the only week you probably won't start Rodgers is the bye week, you have Luck to fill in and Wayne would help in that regard. Plus I honestly think despite his age Reggie Wayne could come up bigger than most expect. The Colts are lining up all over the field which is way different than his 1st decade plus in the league.That could mean a big season for him or not who knows so far. Also Rivers had some games where he just fell off the rails last year and I don't know that the Chargers offense improved all that much in the off season. The question also becomes though if you take the trade who do you drop...

Edit: Another option is to include Tamme or Davis on the deal and see if you can trade into a better TE. Davis is ok, but he certainly won't have very many weeks that wow you. Tamme maybe decent but it's really too soon to tell. If you could manage to upgrade it would help you week to week.

Thanks guys. I just offered the trade and plan to drop the packers D. He has Vernon Davis but there is no way I would be able to get him without giving up more than rivers and thamme/Davis.

The person declined the Wayne/Meachem for Rivers trade (someone convinced him not to do it). He still wants to trade, but he claims that is too much for Rivers (he has Schaub). Should I offer Rivers for Nate Washington and Meachem?

[quote name='gbpackers94']The person declined the Wayne/Meachem for Rivers trade (someone convinced him not to do it). He still wants to trade, but he claims that is too much for Rivers (he has Schaub). Should I offer Rivers for Nate Washington and Meachem?[/QUOTE]

Well dude if you can start two qbs, just keep him. Cause Rivers can have a bad ass year or have one like last year. I don't like the guy cause I hate the Chargers, but he is good for fantasy football. Also, you might need him if your star RBs get hurt.

If Austin Collie or Alshon Jeffery is available, pick them up in that order and drop the Packer's def.

[quote name='GamerDude316']I have my live draft tonight, any good recommendations on sleepers? Curious if theres anybody way under the radar worth a look.[/QUOTE]
I'm no expert, but:

QBs
Matt Ryan (70)
Andrew Luck (115)
Robert Griffin III (76)

RBs
Donald Brown (82)
David Wilson (105)
Doug Martin (49)

WRs
Titus Young (119)
Justin Blackmon (117)