Photo
- - - - -

2012 Election Thread

• Please log in to reply
2253 replies to this topic

#871 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

But is he actually proposing $5 trillion in cuts over the length of his program?

The $5 trillion number is an estimate of what the maximum amount could be based on an interpretation of Romney's remarks by outside groups. His proposal isn't that specific.

Romney essentially wants to lower the tax rate and offset the loss in revenue by eliminating many tax deductions, credits, etc. Obama is correct in saying that eliminating deductions alone likely won't pay for all of it but Romney argues that the economic growth caused by the lower rates will make up that difference.

#872 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:58 AM

Is Jim Lehrer the moderator tomorrow? He's letting both candidates roll over him for the most part.

It looks like it's Candy Crowley for the second one and Bob Schieffer for the last one.

#873 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

The $5 trillion number is an estimate of what the maximum amount could be based on an interpretation of Romney's remarks by outside groups. His proposal isn't that specific.

Romney essentially wants to lower the tax rate and offset the loss in revenue by eliminating many tax deductions, credits, etc. Obama is correct in saying that eliminating deductions alone likely won't pay for all of it but Romney argues that the economic growth caused by the lower rates will make up that difference.

The economic growth of the Bush tax cuts has yet to happen (I stopped waiting), and the economic growth of the 1990's followed tax hikes by both Bush and Clinton. Let's stop lying to each other about tax cuts increasing revenue, please.

EDIT: See also nasum's post about demand from this evening. Giving a corporation a tax subsidy doesn't lead to increased revenues. Supply-side is garbage, real growth comes from demand-side policies.
Posted Image

#874 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

God damnit Romney, I know my fucking numbers. Stop with this "Number 1" bullshit, then proceed to give vague nonanswers.

#875 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

my plan for healthcare is too long to explain right now

#876 SpeedyG

SpeedyG

Fastest Mouse In Cag!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

Is it that the lights are very bright in his eyes that Romney is blinking so much?

#877 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

my plan for healthcare is too long to explain right now

Lol. Glad others caught that. I was afraid I misheard him because it was so obsurd he would say that after being called out on it.

#878 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

his eyes do look kind of watery, could be the lights though

#879 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

Romney making love to the Constitution right now is making me laugh.

#880 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

I can't get over that smug looking grin Romney has when he's not talking. I really expect him to bust out an impromptu snarky comment at any moment.
Posted Image

#881 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

The economic growth of the Bush tax cuts has yet to happen (I stopped waiting), and the economic growth of the 1990's followed tax hikes by both Bush and Clinton. Let's stop lying to each other about tax cuts increasing revenue, please.

EDIT: See also nasum's post about demand from this evening. Giving a corporation a tax subsidy doesn't lead to increased revenues. Supply-side is garbage, real growth comes from demand-side policies.

And I don't think you grow the private sector by taking money out of the private sector in the form of taxes, putting it into the government and then giving it back to the private sector in the form of stimulus, subsidies and other government spending.

Keynesianism was discredited decades ago and rightly so. Look at Europe.

#882 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

Im gettin a kick on how flustered Romney seems to be getting.

i think you mean obama

all he does is say

ummmm ahhh ummm ahhh ummmm

also what the hell is up with the left side of obama face is it his jaw or what you see these little bumps on the left side of his face and then they disappear
WOOOO I STINK

#883 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

romney can literally take any position he wants and completely benefit from it, it's like he's a completely different person question to question.

guess it's just the natural disadvantage of the incumbent.

#884 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Oh the declaration of independence? That thing where the last line is "we pledge our lives Our FORTUNES and our sacred honor"?

Mother intercourser! We were founded as people that share? Fuck me...

$90 billion would have hired 2 million teachers where? In what public unions that would campaign against you? For kolob's sake you nimrod, you're preaching against your own salamander choir!
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#885 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Gary Johnson yelling at the TV was better.

#886 dopa345

dopa345

All around nice guy

• CAGiversary!

Wow, surprised that Romney is absolutely burying Obama.

#887 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

anyone else noticing those bumps on the left side of obama face

his left
WOOOO I STINK

#888 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Oh, the riots in Spain are because of...Keynesian economics?

Ireland overstimulated itself to the point of breaking?

England is struggling economically due to explosive tax hikes?

Spoiler

In hindsight, I can't say that I'm as surprised. Someone willing to literally say or do anything to become president, who will gleefully contradict themselves within minutes, who will make up any fact, who doesn't have time to explain the math - they can appear to be "winning." But there's a lot going on here in terms of answers, so while it appears that Romney is winning by virtue of his nice teeth and giant grin, underneath it all is the same vapid nonsense he's proffered before. No policy, just pixie-dust economics policies. Cut taxes, add pixie dust, and boom - we're in the money again. That's not a gameplan for victory.
Posted Image

#889 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

People that are hurting:
Romney's 2010 return showed over $20M in inco e while the 2011 return showed $13M nearly six months after April 15th.
That hurts.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#890 SpeedyG

SpeedyG

Fastest Mouse In Cag!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

No, because our tv's don't suck.

#891 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

Maybe I am being unfair but I thought this was not very well moderated.
Posted Image

#892 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

anyone else noticing those bumps on the left side of obama face

his left

Do me a favor... DON'T VOTE. Thanks

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#893 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

And I don't think you grow the private sector by taking money out of the private sector in the form of taxes, putting it into the government and then giving it back to the private sector in the form of stimulus, subsidies and other government spending.

The New Deal begs to differ and overall, Europe isn't doing that bad. Greece is not Europe and austerity measures is what's causing civic and economic unrest. Slashing and burning social programs tends to do that.

#894 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

round 1 goes to Romney easy
WOOOO I STINK

#895 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Easy to do when you never give a detail and only say I would keep certain things that are already in place.

#896 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

"we have best health record in the world" - Mitt Romney.

Saying outright bullshit is why it's easy to appear to be victorious. Who thinks he's looking victorious? The folks watching who don't care about facts.
Posted Image

#897 SpeedyG

SpeedyG

Fastest Mouse In Cag!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

So... tonight was basically make love to the middle class night. Right?

#898 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

God that shit about "worried about America"...it is such bullshit. Romney acts like this shit has been only happening the last 4 years.

#899 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

"we have best health record in the world" - Mitt Romney.

Saying outright bullshit is why it's easy to appear to be victorious. Who thinks he's looking victorious? The folks watching who don't care about facts.

who like Harry Reid
WOOOO I STINK

#900 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

lol there you have it handshake after the first debate ... like one was going to punch the other one ... now there is what people would tune in to see...
WOOOO I STINK