• Please log in to reply
2253 replies to this topic

#931 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

There was a moderator?

:) Yeah so the insta-polls has Romney winning the debate and I really cannot say I disagree as far as it looked. The problem is the fact checkers are already pulling much of Romney's statements apart. So if winning means being the cheeriest liar on TV then we are doomed.
Posted Image

#932 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

There was a moderator?

Lehrer has been bad and showing his age for a long time. He's not doing as well as Dan Rather.

#933 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

First off, you posted a heavily edited video of Rose interviewing Brokaw to show how vague Obama was. Now think about that until you can figure out why that is stupid.

Secondly, I shouldn't need to explain AGAIN how to find the full interview. If you know who Rose is, then NOT finding the video would be next to impossible unless you didn't know who Brokaw is either. This scenario is even LESS LIKELY since the youtube page tells us exactly who those people in the hack job are. The point is that there are any number of videos that could possibly illustrate your point, but you chose a biased hack job because you claim that its the only one you could find? Yeah, and I'm the Queen of Sheba.

I also don't appreciate you acting dumb or expecting people to fall for stupid bullshit.

Sorry, I didn't give you a play by play. I kept getting proxy errors from Rose's website so I couldn't get the whole video up. I watched the episode years back with the girlfriend and we had quite the laugh about it at the time. We still joke about the line, "We really don't know Obama."
However, eventhough it is heavily edited I think it still shows the point I was trying to make.
Charlie Rose says, "We really don't know what his world view is..."
I found it ironic that Rose would say it. If that statement was coming from Fox News or something it would be damning. But he didn't mean it like that obviously, he was speaking in context of the media.
However, Rose could same thing about Romney now. He says alot without saying anything, without getting into specifics.
Obama did not have to get into the nuts and bolts of it to get votes in 2008. And Romney doesn't have to either to get elected either.
It wasn't so much as "both sides do it", but rather "that's how elections work". I'm not going to be this guy. All that.

I feel like I'm going to go on a rant of the executive branch itself in a minute but we can have that discussion some other time.

Sorry again, if I type succintly as well. It can come across as obtuse.

And fall for my bullshit?
I don't want you to think I'm part of some right wing agenda. Because I'm not. Just an observer.

Edit:

I thought Lehrer did an alright job. Some moderators can get long winded.
Posted Image

#934 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

:) Yeah so the insta-polls has Romney winning the debate and I really cannot say I disagree as far as it looked. The problem is the fact checkers are already pulling much of Romney's statements apart. So if winning means being the cheeriest liar on TV then we are doomed.

And who's going to pay attention to those? Not many.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#935 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Problem with politics, people get combative. Take it down a notch and we can have a conversation about it.

They don't want a conversation, they want fellation or immolation. But I'll give you some of Obama's specifics from 08.

Close Guantanamo Bay
No warrantless wiretapping
No indefinite detention of Americans/no suspension of Habeas Corpus
No military tribunals for detainees
Stop the federal crackdown on medical marijuana
Televise the health care debate

Though I do agree with the overall point... Hope and change, that was his campaign. He didn't often get into details of how his plans would be executed.

#936 Cantatus

Cantatus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

The thing that surprised me is that some of the incorrect statements Romney made during the debate are things he's said previously. I figured this was the time for Obama to nail him to the wall on these things (like the $800 million Medicare cuts), but mostly Obama would start talking about something else. I can understand him not wanting to look like he's on the defensive the entire time, but it runs the risk of people believing that Romney was telling the truth. I'm doubting a majority of the people who watched tonight's debate are going to be reading the fact check websites tomorrow.

#937 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

This is the problem with fact checking sites.

Early in the first presidential debate, President Barack Obama attacked Mitt Romney’s tax plan as unbalanced and devastating for the middle class. He charged that Romney’s plan "calls for a $5 trillion tax cut," and challenged him to defend it.

The candidates repeatedly disagreed about that number. Four times the president spoke of Romney’s $5 trillion tax cut, and four times the governor rejected it
[...]
The conclusion is accurate but misleading. Yes, the cuts would total that amount, but as Obama himself noted as he continued speaking, Romney hopes to offset the lost revenues by closing loopholes and deductions. The reductions in tax breaks are as much a part of Romney’s plan as the tax cuts.

We rate the statement Half True.

Every Republican president in my lifetime has promised to murder deductions and then done exactly nothing about it. Every single one. And this is a half truth.

No Politifact, it's not half true. It's more likely than the fucking sun coming up tomorrow.
Posted Image

#938 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

i dont trust either, but i did feel romney was stronger in this debate.

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#939 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

Posted Image

I should not have done this. Really not my best morning right now...
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#940 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

This is the problem with fact checking sites.

Every Republican president in my lifetime has promised to murder deductions and then done exactly nothing about it. Every single one. And this is a half truth.

No Politifact, it's not half true. It's more likely than the fucking sun coming up tomorrow.

Obama actually promised to do that himself in 2008, to eliminate deductions for those over $200,000.

#941 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

I should not have done this. Really not my best morning right now...

With a game like that I'm surprised you're not already in the hospital for liver damage.:lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#942 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

When it gets down to it many of the promises a Presidential candidate makes during a campaign relies on having a Congress willing to work. Right now neither guy is going to get much done with the current climate in the House and Senate. Romney claiming he will repeal Obamacare is really a slap to the intelligence of the American public. Senate Dems will never let it happen.

#943 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

I thought Romney decisively won the first half of the debate, then Obama barely won the second half. I felt like things were starting to shift a bit towards the end, but I too was stunned that Obama didn't have a list of rebuttals in his pocket for some of the campaign "exaggerations" Romney-Ryan have been throwing out there for weeks.

One slipperly slope that really stood out to me was that Romney would mention something about tax breaks for outsourcing jobs, or the abundance of tax loop holes in our system, and how Romney wouldn't do anything about those...but Obama was saying that as the guy in office the last 4 years. That debate is better when you have two challengers, not coming from the incumbent, because then the natural response is, OK...if that stuff is really bad, why in the hell haven't you worked to eliminate it?

It was just weird. I expected, in fact was even looking forward to, seeing Romney go deer in the headlights, stammer, then blurt out some really bad, really offensive lines as his awkwardness grew. Instead, Obama looked surprised, checked out, and like he spent the last night cramming, while Romney had been studying since the start of the term. I was stunned.

Edited by berzirk, 04 October 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#944 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

It's a bit funny. Some people seem to think Obama hasn't done enough, some think he's done too much. Romney criticized him for focusing on health care instead of the economy, which isn't really true, but at the same time, who said the guy can't multitask? A president is supposed to only work to change 1 single thing? I think people tend to overlook the things Obama has accomplished, simply because all they care about is the economy. Which is a big issue of course, but it's not the only issue.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#945 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

And that's where Obama really sucked last night. He did a terrible job of countering those attacks, he didn't call Romney on his BS nearly enough, didn't talk about things he did for the economy enough (not enough on the auto bailout etc.).

He just seemed tired, disengaged and like he just didn't give a crap in general.

#946 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Seems like I read that Obama wasn't really doing much to prepare, maybe that's why.

#947 chibamm

chibamm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

It's a bit funny. Some people seem to think Obama hasn't done enough, some think he's done too much. Romney criticized him for focusing on health care instead of the economy, which isn't really true, but at the same time, who said the guy can't multitask? A president is supposed to only work to change 1 single thing? I think people tend to overlook the things Obama has accomplished, simply because all they care about is the economy. Which is a big issue of course, but it's not the only issue.

From what I understand, any president has enough political capital to do "one big thing" during a four year term. Romney's point was that Obama had spent so much political capital on his health care plan while the economy and jobs were definitely the more important issue at the time and still is. People like to think all Democrats/Republicans get along and if they control both executive and legislative that they'll just pass everything, which can't be further from the truth. Both branches compete heavily against each other for power. Thus, spending political capital to get things done.
I tend to agree with Romney that the most important thing is creating and maintaining jobs in America.
On the other hand, I really don't think the President, no matter who he is, has that much effect on an economy as a whole. And if they do, the effects of it won't be seen immediately.
Posted Image

#948 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

Well then if the president doesn't have much of an effect on the economy, why bother making that his "one big thing"?

#949 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

I don't see how anyone could think Obama, as a whole, won the debate. The problem is though that he is going to have a tough time winning any debates even with more preperation time simply because Romney was throwing out a lot of hard failure facts at him that aren't easily deflected.

Saying, essentially, he sucked as a president and has done little to improve the country isn't a claim, its a fact. Tough to escape from that.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#950 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

I tend to agree with Romney that the most important thing is creating and maintaining jobs in America.
On the other hand, I really don't think the President, no matter who he is, has that much effect on an economy as a whole. And if they do, the effects of it won't be seen immediately.

Did Romney really say that we need to 'maintain' jobs in America? Because that is impossible and he knows it.

The only way we're going to have enough jobs in America is if we get ahead of the curve and invent new technologies and new industries that require semi-skilled labor (for example clean energy), while taking a common-sense approach to healthcare and other factors that contribute to American worker overhead. Traditional jobs that can be outsourced will be outsourced - IE if you're a plumber you're ok (that can't be outsourced) but if you work in a manufacturing job then watch out.

#951 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I don't see how anyone could think Obama, as a whole, won the debate. The problem is though that he is going to have a tough time winning any debates even with more preperation time simply because Romney was throwing out a lot of hard failure facts at him that aren't easily deflected.

Saying, essentially, he sucked as a president and has done little to improve the country isn't a claim, its a fact. Tough to escape from that.

Your ignorance astounds me. Start with learning what a fact is.

#952 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

And that's where Obama really sucked last night. He did a terrible job of countering those attacks, he didn't call Romney on his BS nearly enough, didn't talk about things he did for the economy enough (not enough on the auto bailout etc.).

He just seemed tired, disengaged and like he just didn't give a crap in general.

I think he was just exhausted. You could have all the prep and enthusiasm in the world, but if you're really tired or sick you're just not going to be able to give it 100%

Obama's a pro, the other debates will be more interesting.

#953 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

How did I know that an Obama lover was going to quote me and go "wut!? Obama has been great and everything is rainbows and sunshines". That's why I usually stay out of these things, it always just turns into fighting because nobody can be swayed from their views. They decide somebody is the best and it doesn't matter if he slaughtered a bus full of babies with the severed limb of their grandma, they are always the best.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#954 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

I hope you realize that we'll shit on you even worse that those ot tards you talk with. Only we'll do it by calling you out on how stupid you are.

#955 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

How did I know that an Obama lover was going to quote me and go "wut!? Obama has been great and everything is rainbows and sunshines". That's why I usually stay out of these things, it always just turns into fighting because nobody can be swayed from their views. They decide somebody is the best and it doesn't matter if he slaughtered a bus full of babies with the severed limb of their grandma, they are always the best.

You're welcome to your own opinion but don't present it as a fact.

Is it that hard to get? Come on man...

#956 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

I think he was just exhausted. You could have all the prep and enthusiasm in the world, but if you're really tired or sick you're just not going to be able to give it 100%

Considering it was his anniversary, there could be a reason for exhaustion.

If ya catch my drift!;)

#957 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

I hope you realize that we'll shit on you even worse that those ot tards you talk with. Only we'll do it by calling you out on how stupid you are.

You're welcome to your own opinion but don't present it as a fact.

Is it that hard to get? Come on man...

So you're going to tell me that Barack Obama improved this country in any significant way during his FOUR YEARS as president? How many things have gotten worse? OK, now how many have gotten better? A little lopsided there in favor of "more things got worse then got better".

#958 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Piece about Lehrer's lack of control last night.

http://news.yahoo.co...--election.html

#959 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

So you're going to tell me that Barack Obama improved this country in any significant way during his FOUR YEARS as president? How many things have gotten worse? OK, now how many have gotten better? A little lopsided there in favor of "more things got worse then got better".

So do you blame the fire department for the arsonist burning down your house?

#960 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Ok, like, how many have gotten worse, like just how many are worse, ya know? Like, I know you know how they're worse, but like, ya know, how are they worse?

Fuck me this is gonna be like another slidecage...