Photo
- - - - -

CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

• Please log in to reply
2188 replies to this topic

Poll: What regular season OT rules should we use?

What regular season OT rules should we use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Ok...they just said the NHL companion app is for iOS. No mention of Android at all. If that's true, there's the first thing that will piss me off. Do they really think Android doesn't have an equal userbase? Is it still 2009?

That app is mainly for GM connected right?

#92 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

That app is mainly for GM connected right?

and HUT.

They also just confirmed no new goalie cameras and still one locker room in EASHL.

#93 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Boo to 1 locker room and to iOS exclusivity. I have an Android tablet.

#94 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

I do like the in goal camera a lot honestly. Really adds to the broadcast!

They better add the app to Android. That or I see the xda community porting it over eventually.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 22 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#95 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

It's just a tough thing because you can't assume that everyone will want to play that way. EA has to basically force them to play right by making the defense good enough to stop cheap tactics. A lot of this is more in relation to OTP/EASHL, but teams shouldn't be rewarded for having their wingers abandon the defensive zone early and be hanging out at center ice waiting on a breakout pass. The defensemen either need to be smart enough to hold the puck in at all cost or know to drop out of the zone to cover the guy trying to get a cheap breakaway. The AI isn't really going to be tested until people start trying to look for holes.

Another thing I like though in regards to the skating is that it seems like more of a cat and mouse game. I'm hoping that due to the fact that it's going to be easier to get knocked off the puck and harder to shoot accurately at high speeds (allegedly) and the fact that it's going to be easier to overcommit on defense, that should create some slowdown and hesitation on both sides. I saw moments in the demo where a player would skate hard and then coast before making a turn. You never saw stuff like that in 12 because people were always just trying to go as fast as they could. I know even for me, any time I was pressing the left stick, I was also clicking it in. If done right, these small changes should have a big impact on how the game plays.

Good to know I wasnt the only one always clicking in the left stick last year. Hopefully these adjustments do bring an extra element of strategy back to the series.

#96 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

Good to know I wasnt the only one always clicking in the left stick last year. Hopefully these adjustments do bring an extra element of strategy back to the series.

Oh, no. It became such a "formula" for what worked. We learned pretty quickly that speed and acceleration made very little difference if you just put your endurance at 99 and used the hustle button the entire game. I can't even picture EASHL this year if you won't be able to get up to a 99 AND you'll have to actually use different skating tactics. People are going to lose their minds, lol. :)

#97 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

Oh, no. It became such a "formula" for what worked. We learned pretty quickly that speed and acceleration made very little difference if you just put your endurance at 99 and used the hustle button the entire game. I can't even picture EASHL this year if you won't be able to get up to a 99 AND you'll have to actually use different skating tactics. People are going to lose their minds, lol. :)

Let's hope so.

#98 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

Didn't even know there was a "hustle button"

#99 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

Didn't even know there was a "hustle button"

We need a face palm smiley.

:wall:

Vulcan7905.png

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#100 GamerDude316

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

will most of them even know there are tactics to skating? I'm curious to find out!

#101 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm liking it a lot. Can't wait for the game.

I like how the ice is skated over in some parts and other parts nothing. AI is actually good and so are the goalies. I'm truly impressed. No more post whistle shit either.

Vulcan7905.png

#102 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm liking it a lot. Can't wait for the game.

I like how the ice is skated over in some parts and other parts nothing. AI is actually good and so are the goalies. I'm truly impressed. No more post whistle shit either.

Pucks seem to get deflected more, tougher to get around defensemen, etc.

Goalies also seem better and more aggressive but I don't know if I like all the animations. Broduer was nonchalantly using his blocker at times pretty far out if the crease.

Does seem like a better true feel overall.

#103 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Just downloaded it now and the first thing I loaded up was Free Skate...which to me is the best way to test glitches. Right away, I could tell the goalies are much more reactive. They follow the puck better and will move with you when you cut across the net, as opposed to just lunging across at the last second. This makes for much easier saves on simple shots. Even when I was able to get ahead of the goalie with dekes or speed, he still had the desperation saves to fall back on, and in this instance, was still able to keep the puck out of the net.

Now, getting to where I think a glitch could possibly come from (granted, I've only played about 5 minutes, but I've gotten this to work twice): the old "skate backward at the goalie then turn and whip it by him" thing. The goalie seems much slower to react to this and leaves a lot of holes. I invite everybody to try it out. I'm doing it by skating straight at the goalie, holding LT at center ice. Then, when I'm about at the hash marks, let go of LT and take your shot as your skater is turning. The timing can be a little tricky to ensure that you spin back toward your forehand instead of doing that stupid spinorama shot that we're all used to. But if done right, the goalie seems to really struggle with it.

EDIT - All right, well, I'm not sure how I feel about skating backward at the goalie. It does seem to increase your chances at scoring (at one point, I scored on 3 consecutive shots doing this move), but in a weird way, I could swear that the goalie was actually learning as he started to play it better. Maybe my skill at doing it wasn't totally consistent, but I do feel like there's something there. If you alter the move a bit...kinda dance around while you're skating backward, it gets the goalie moving more, which can help. I also started skating at him on the left post, then cutting across in front of him right at the crease, and then letting go of LT to turn and shoot short side at the right post (with Kopitar...a lefty. You'd do the opposite with a righty). This made it easier to turn back to my forehand.

Edited by n8rockerasu, 21 August 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#104 wiz2020

wiz2020

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

The feeling of the weight/momentum of the skaters is crazy good and the dump in strategy seems so much more realistic and effective, this is much more strategic and less arcade-y then past NHL games, imho. Learning to glide before moving the puck around is new for me and I am still trying to get a good feel for offensive

On the plus side (I guess?) I have played the NHL moments thing several times and gone to multiple OT's against the Coyotes. I do the switch with the camera and feel that going down this year has a big advantage over going up on the default camera. I switched my view to Classic and that pulls the camera up a bit, more visible ice, that seemed to fix it.

Anyone try the new Dynamic Camera view?

#105 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Learning to glide before moving the puck around is new for me and I am still trying to get a good feel for offensive

On the plus side (I guess?) I have played the NHL moments thing several times and gone to multiple OT's against the Coyotes. I do the switch with the camera and feel that going down this year has a big advantage over going up on the default camera. I switched my view to Classic and that pulls the camera up a bit, more visible ice, that seemed to fix it.

Anyone try the new Dynamic Camera view?

I finally went into the Play Now mode, and I had the same thought. It feels really weird to let go of the left stick during play. Definitely something I need to get used to. It's been so ingrained in me to hurry up and do things as fast as I can before I get destroyed, it makes me wonder how much people will adjust how they play.

I've been using the Ice Camera High setting for years now. I do always up though. I can maybe see how going down might make it feel more natural to let go of the left stick, but I think I'll get used to it eventually, so having an alternating camera would probably just confuse me more than anything. Haven't looked at the Dynamic Camera...but if it's anything like the BAP "Action" camera, I'll pass, lol.

#106 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Oh, for anybody who doesn't know, you get a free HUT pack for beating the NHL Moments Live scenario and another one for sending a NHL 13 Demo invite (you don't actually have to send it. Just select one of your friends and then back out of the message). I was having some trouble staying connected to the EA servers (shocking, I know), so I had to do the NHL Moments Live thing again. But it worked the second time.

EDIT - Ok...maybe that's why I was having trouble staying connected. I just got dropped from Xbox Live and when I reconnected, I was told I had to do a system update. Smartglass? Full ESPN? Please????

#107 wiz2020

wiz2020

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I found out EA server had dropped out after I won a 4 OT game! And that was like my 14th try, late for work playing it this morning just to have to go home and do it again and hope the servers hold.

#108 DarkTower80

DarkTower80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

While playing the HUT part of the demo I noticed some of the bad AI from last year. The D-man stepped up at the worst time and missed the puck and then blocked me from getting back as well. Both D also were in one corner at one point, leaving the other half of the ice completely open.

Not game breaking, but also not a great sign.

#109 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

If you start a HUT team is that gonna save over to the main game? I remember last year it brought up the team I had the year before automatically.

#110 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

If you start a HUT team is that gonna save over to the main game? I remember last year it brought up the team I had the year before automatically.

Not in the demo. If you remember, they just give you a "starter pack" (which is actually loaded with NHL players) in the demo to screw around with. But every time you leave the mode, it wipes it clean. HUT in the full game will probably carry over though. They talked about giving you the puck bonus for how much you played the mode last year on the livestream yesterday.

#111 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

I really like how passes are constantly being broken up because of sticks actually doing things. It's nice that you can't just slip a pass by a defender and have them stand there and do nothing. Also, the difference in speed from player to player is very evident. Pretty excited thus far.

#112 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

Got home from work and got to play some more. Thank god for no more post whistle crap. This feels exactly like how it feels to skate. Turn to high at a good speed, you'll dig your heel in which I have seen a few times. Something little I noticed is that people take pictures now. Those little flashes of light are neat. Getting in fights takes some good time as well.

Edit- Game went to shoot out and it literally went through the rosters twice before I scored the game winner. Five Hole slap shot. I hate to say it but....I'm impressed.

edit -Even more excited! http://www.reddit.co...e_glitch_goals/

Edited by Vulcan2422, 21 August 2012 - 09:45 PM.

Vulcan7905.png

#113 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

I really like how passes are constantly being broken up because of sticks actually doing things. It's nice that you can't just slip a pass by a defender and have them stand there and do nothing. Also, the difference in speed from player to player is very evident. Pretty excited thus far.

Yeah, I liked that too. It made the default difficulty feel a lot harder. Another thing I noticed was that the way the CPU approaches the forecheck is completely different. New Jersey's forwards didn't just give up on the puck once I had control of it. They came at me hard trying to get it back. Kind of took me by surprise.

edit -Even more excited! http://www.reddit.co...e_glitch_goals/

Yeah, I see I'm not the only person who thought the "skate backward at the goalie whip shot" felt glitchy as well.

#114 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Yeah, I liked that too. It made the default difficulty feel a lot harder.

First thing I thought when playing was "hmmm maybe the gm connected league shouldnt be the hardest difficulty". Haha.

#115 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

First thing I thought when playing was "hmmm maybe the gm connected league shouldnt be the hardest difficulty". Haha.

Yeah, that will definitely be taken under advisement, lol. It's damn near impossible to predict what you're going to get with an EA game. Really, with patches and tuner sets, it's tough to judge how closely the full game will even resemble the demo.

#116 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

One thing I hope they tune is the goalies coming out of the net to play the puck. Playing the NHL Moments mode, I saw Smith come out of the net to play a puck near the top of the faceoff circle in his zone. The problem was I was right near that area and got him to flip it over the boards for a delay of game penalty. It was a puck he never should have come out to play, because my guy had a full head of steam heading into the zone and was ahead of the defenders. So hopefully that gets tuned a little.

#117 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

I like that honestly cause that happens a lot. I liked how my goalie in Hut, played the puck on a Power play and threw it up the ice to me. I had a awesome Hut team too with Stamkos, St. Louis, Nugent-Hopkins, Nash, and Thomas to name a few! Had a couple more nhl guys I forget.

Vulcan7905.png

#118 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Is anybody else having a hard time with faceoffs? I don't know if it's the timing or what, but I feel like I just get tied up like every freaking time. I'm not sure if I've won one outright yet, lol.

#119 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Is anybody else having a hard time with faceoffs? I don't know if it's the timing or what, but I feel like I just get tied up like every freaking time. I'm not sure if I've won one outright yet, lol.

It's been a mixed bag for me. But I've lost more than I've won I think.

#120 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

I think they fixed it! Don't get ready so early, other wise the computer reads it. Just like in IRL, I don't put my stick on the ice or get into position until I know the ref is dropping the puck.

Vulcan7905.png