CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!
cagnhl13.jpg

Hello, everybody! For the first time ever, the NHL series will be offering a true online franchise experience in NHL 13 with the new GM Connected mode. Multiple season progression, rookie scouting, blockbuster trades, free agency, AHL management, you name it. It's FINALLY going to be online! That makes this our chance to have a real, serious league for the first time.​

I know there are a lot of hockey fans out there, and I'd love to have a full league. I only ask that people only sign up if they're serious about contacting opponents, scheduling games, and communicating in the thread. This is our opportunity to have something similar to the Madden and NCAA leagues on CAG, and can definitely be a lot of fun if people are committed to it.​

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, feel free to sign up and pick your favorite team!​

League Rules and Policies

In general, the NHL series needs less guidelines than some of the other sports leagues. But there are still some areas people need to be aware of.

Playstyles
This is a tough one to define because in general the golden rule is "Don't play like a jerk." But there aren't too many areas of gameplay where people need to restrict themselves. It's really one of those things of "you'll know it when you see it." We have a couple specific examples, but other than that, there are things that I wish would be tuned better: penalties, hitting effectiveness, goalie reaction speed, etc. But that's not something we have any control over, so there's really no way to tell people to play a certain way in regards to those areas.

What I do think can be said though is to not come down the ice trying to do the same thing every time. If you're constantly going for a cross crease, or you're constantly twirling your stick and shooting for that short side, you're not really playing hockey. You're looking for an easy goal (see also: exploit). Vary your attack with the flow of the game, and play the game right.
Skating Backward on Breakaways
EA makes stupid AI. There's no other way to put it. Holding the LT on a breakaway to skate backward at the goalie, and then turning back around quickly to whip the puck by the goalie as he tries to figure out what is going on is an exploit. This has been an exploit in previous years, and it has resurfaced this year.

If you're facing a human goalie (ie. penalty shots/shootouts), feel free to do whatever you want. But against an AI goalie, it's an exploit. Of course you're free to deke, do a spin move, etc. But skating backward for 3-4 seconds until you're right at the crease, and then turning and blowing the puck by the AI goalie shows no skill. It's just a stupid exploit.
Diving At The Goalie
This should be common sense. But then again, it should have been common sense for EA to take it out of the game. But apparently, diving at the goalie and swinging your stick on the ice after he's covered the puck and is waiting on the whistle is a great way to knock the puck loose. It should go without saying that this is a 100% dbag "strategy". Anyone caught doing this will get one warning. Get caught again and you're banned from the league. Not going to fool around with this one since it's complete garbage.
Sportsmanship
The biggest thing I can stress is be respectful of your opponent, and be gracious in victory. Have the recognition that sometimes the puck just bounces your way, and the better team doesn't always win. In short, stay humble.
Disconnects
Unfortunately, I think if a game gets disconnected, whoever's "fault" EA thinks the disconnect was will get the loss. I have no power to reset games, so you'll just have to take it on the chin and like it if it happens to you. But you're playing an EA game, so you should be used to that by now right?
Advancement
Because of the fact that our only option was to play the full 82 game season, we're going to have to move at a much quicker pace if we want to have any hope of playing multiple seasons. Nobody is expected to play all 82 games. I'll be impressed with nyone who plays half of that.

But to mach sure we keep things moving along, each advancement period will have 2 weeks of the real NHL schedule available to play. You'll have 5 days to play as many of those games as you can...and the rest will just get simmed. It's nowhere close to ideal, but it's what EA gave us, and we'll just have to make the best of it.
Free Agency
It seems that free agency is completely regulated in this game, complete with a salary cap, variable contract lengths, and in-depth negotiations. Considering those factors, we SHOULDN'T need to restrict free agency too much. Feel free to place offers on players, but remember that your finances are not limitless. And again, if anyone notices any glaring problems, just speak up.
Trades
Like free agency, trades seem to be fairly regulated. The game even has a system built in to give the commissioner final rights to approve or reject a trade. As welcomed as that feature is, I still want people to post trade proposals in the thread.

Once you and another team have come to an agreement on what you believe is a fair trade, please post it in the thread, including all players/draft picks involved, the player's position, age, overall rating, and contract info.
Communication
This is probably the most important aspect of the league. Without it, there's no point in playing. Considering the pace of the advancement schedule, it would be wise to send PM's to all opponents on your schedule and let them know when you're available.

LOOK AT YOUR OPPONENT'S AVAILABILITY in the OP before sending your message. If you can offer them a time that already works with their availability, you're going to be much more likely to get your games played. This may seem like common sense, but you'd be surprise how many leagues just completely stall out because people fail to communicate. Don't let that happen to you!
Enabling CPU Play (Required of ALL Teams)
Select one of the games on your schedule, press A, and select "Enable CPU and Sim Games Vs Your Team". This DOES NOT prevent you from playing your games in any way. It just makes it possible for other teams to play you should you not be available by the day of the deadline.

ALL TEAMS must contact their opponents through private message on CAG to inquire about schedulling a time to play their game. If you have not responded to your opponent within an appropriate amount of time to get the game scheduled before the deadline, do not be surprised if your opponent ends up playing the CPU.

NO ONE should be playing any games vs the CPU until the day of the deadline unless given permission by the team owner in this thread (teams with no owner can be played at any time...if you're not sure who doesn't have an owner, check the Original Post of this thread).

Any team that plays a CPU team without permission or without giving the team owner a chance to exchange private messages will be given one initial WARNING. A second offense will come with a 3 GAME SUSPSENSION (meaning 3 opponents get to play your CPU team). A third offense will come with a 6 GAME SUSPENSION. And a fourth offense will result in being BANNED from the league. Don't let this happen to you. There are plenty of ways to figure out if you should be playing the CPU or not. Don't be lazy.

Teams
Team | CAG Name (click to send private message) | XBL Gamertag | Time Zone | Availability

Eastern Conference

Atlantic
New Jersey Devils | *OPEN*
New York Islanders | *OPEN*
New York Rangers | jza1218 | statnut28 | EST | ???
Philadelphia Flyers | Flyersfan | PsychedelicRock | ??? | ???
Pittsburgh Penguins | DarkTower80 | DarkTower80 | MST | ???​

Northeast
Boston Bruins | GamerDude316 | Cydoniac | EST | Weeknights after 5:30-6:00 until 10:00, weekends are generally more flexible
Buffalo Sabres | Twick87 | twick87 | EST | anytime after 6pm mon-fri + anytime on weekends
Montreal Canadiens | mvp828 | AttackingMVP | EST | any time after 6PM est to 1 or 2 AM est
Ottawa Senators | *OPEN*
Toronto Maple Leafs | *OPEN*​

Southeast
Carolina Hurricanes | *OPEN*
Florida Panthers | Mr_hockey66 | mr hockey66 | EST | everynight about 5-11 pn mon-Friday Saturday's and Sunday's any time
Tampa Bay Lightning | Vulcan2422 | Vulcan7905 | EST | ???
Washington Capitals | DestroVega | DestroVega | EST | pretty flexible
Winnipeg Jets | IndoAssassin | IndoAssassin | PST | Anyday except Tuesday, and Wednesday or other day that I get called into work​

Western Conference

Central
Chicago Blackhawks | chriscolbert | chriscolbert | EST | ???
Columbus Blue Jackets | *OPEN*
Detroit Red Wings | Wpark83 | Wpark83 | EST | any night of the week after 8 or 9 EST, Sunday's I'm very flexible. Only days in the fall I can't play are Saturdays
Nashville Predators | n8rockerasu | n8rocker82 | CST | Sun - 11AM-9PM CST, Mon-Thu - 5-9PM CST, Fri - 5PM-2AM CST, Sat - anytime
St. Louis Blues | sendme | shazo | CST | every other Saturday, Sunday and Monday, PM for specific availability

Northwest
Calgary Flames | *OPEN*
Colorado Avalanche | moojuice | moojuice | MST | between 10-12est weekdays, fairly open weekends. Can work my schedule around fairly easily weekdays after 7est with couple days notice
Edmonton Oilers | Captain OBVIOU5 | Captain OBVIOU5 | MST | ???
Minnesota Wild | Canbanana | Canbanana | CST | very flexible
Vancouver Canucks | ajh2298 | ajh2298 | EST | very flexible​

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks | *OPEN*
Dallas Stars | *OPEN*
Los Angeles Kings | Matt Young | X Matt Young X | PST | ???
Phoenix Coyotes | garrett007 | garrett007 | EST | ???
San Jose Sharks | *OPEN*​

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I didn't add Brandon or Alan yet because I wasn't sure if either of them would have a desire to play as Colorado, lol. I'm still waiting on the wrestling match in ice cream sandwich pudding. ;)

And with that, the first division rivalry is born, haha. I think it's awesome that this will finally incorporate CPU teams (as opposed to the strictly user vs user leagues that NHL had before). I vote for putting the CPU difficulty on the highest setting. At least that way, if divisions happen to be unbalanced, nobody will be getting any easy wins.

What's really funny to me is how the favorite teams of the CAG Hockey Team's "regulars" are all in different divisions. You'd think we set it up that way so we can all meet in the playoffs, lol.

I'm down for filling in as the Edmonton Oilers GM, It would be nice to get playing with you guys again. I didn't have the skill to play the EASHL with you guys, so this will be a great return to the CAG world for me.

[quote name='Captain OBVIOU5']I'm down for filling in as the Edmonton Oilers GM, It would be nice to get playing with you guys again. I didn't have the skill to play the EASHL with you guys, so this will be a great return to the CAG world for me.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! It'll be great to have you back, man. Yeah, EASHL just got really restricting. When they made to where you could only play one game at a time, it just really limited that game mode. EA's argument was that it prevented teams from having a ridiculous number of games played...but last week, we ran into a team that had played over 3,800 games this year. For those of you doing the math at home...that's over 10 games a night...every single night.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to finally having a true franchise where it will be about more than just playing the game. Grooming players, making trades, and all that should be a lot of fun.

This is a great next step for EA, it will allow for more people to get together instead of the limit you have in the EASHL when you get to a very competitive level. It will be great on paper, I just hope that EA can deliver. Looking forward to the 7th (yes I bought the Season Ticket for one game, I know I have issues)

[quote name='Captain OBVIOU5']This is a great next step for EA, it will allow for more people to get together instead of the limit you have in the EASHL when you get to a very competitive level. It will be great on paper, I just hope that EA can deliver. Looking forward to the 7th (yes I bought the Season Ticket for one game, I know I have issues)[/QUOTE]

Haha...don't feel bad. I'm probably going to get it this year too...for two games though: Madden and NHL. It's not a TERRIBLE deal if you play a lot of Ultimate Team.

I have almost made the justification that having the game four days early is well worth the $25 parlay that with the CE edition of the game, I'm a sick man.

I will porbably pick up season ticket as well this year. As for teams, Alan can have the Avs. I will take the Pens, as they did pretty well for me in our league last year.

Count Me In!!

I had some trouble finding a reliable internet connection last winter with the Madden JV League largely because the league really got going when I left school for semester break.

NHL is the game I play the most and when I heard Online Franchise was Going to Be A Feature, I wanted to join a league.

I will take the Chicago Blackhawks as My Team

Nice! Division rivalries heating up! haha :bouncy:

Also, I'll let Alan confirm if he does want the Avs. Don't want to assume anybody wants to take a "not really the best" team, lol. ;)

EA just posted this on their Facebook:

HUGE NHL 13 announcement coming tomorrow! We're proud to announce that on _______ you can _______!

Most people are guessing it's going to be a date for the demo. The Madden demo comes out tomorrow...so I'd think next Tuesday (8/21) at the earliest if that's it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']EA just posted this on their Facebook:

Most people are guessing it's going to be a date for the demo. The Madden demo comes out tomorrow...so I'd think next Tuesday (8/21) at the earliest if that's it.[/QUOTE]

That's the same thing they are speculating on the EA forums, the sooner the better.

Avs it is!
If w have a random draft or something similar I'll already have a better roster than the real Avs by default lol.

[quote name='moojuice']If w have a random draft or something similar I'll already have a better roster than the real Avs by default lol.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd rather use the real rosters. But if enough people feel like randomly generated rosters would be better for fairness purposes, I'd understand. I guess to me, the ratings never seemed far enough apart in this game to REALLY make things too lopsided (unlike in Madden where the difference between the best and worst team would be like 30 points).

Count me in. I guess I'll take the Capitals. DestroVega for both. EST. I'm pretty flexible on availability.

I think random rosters would be pretty fun but whatever the majority wants is cool.

Thank you very much for putting me down for the Kings. I also would prefer to use real rosters.

Time Zone and Availability: I will be in Illinois from August 1st through the end of September, so I'll be in the Central time zone for about 2 and 1/2 weeks after the game comes out. I'll know my availability by the time the game's out.

Yeah I would also prefer real rosters, makes it feel a little more authentic to me.

Also I should probably note that in my availability, I should probably not have games start later than 10 PM EST Sun-Thursday. I'm up at 6 for work Mon-Fri and like to at least get 6 hours of sleep

I actually would prefer real rosters (have an idea what my guys are good at, though the answer is "not much" XD), fine either way.

[quote name='moojuice']I actually would prefer real rosters (have an idea what my guys are good at, though the answer is "not much" XD), fine either way.[/QUOTE]

Ok, cool. Glad we all seem to be on the same page. I do think using the real rosters will make things feel more authentic (especially when you factor in managing AHL clubs and whatnot). And for our first real franchise experience, that's something I'd like to have.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Well, I hope the rosters are updated enough so I don't need a goalie. Hopefully Commodore is still there as well.[/QUOTE]

Well, we'll probably do like most leagues and wait on the first roster update (assuming there's a season). And worst comes to worst, you could trade for a better goalie. I'm sure Stamkos would generate some interest. ;)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ok, cool. Glad we all seem to be on the same page. I do think using the real rosters will make things feel more authentic (especially when you factor in managing AHL clubs and whatnot). And for our first real franchise experience, that's something I'd like to have.

Well, we'll probably do like most leagues and wait on the first roster update (assuming there's a season). And worst comes to worst, you could trade for a better goalie. I'm sure Stamkos would generate some interest. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well said Nate!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ok, cool. Glad we all seem to be on the same page. I do think using the real rosters will make things feel more authentic (especially when you factor in managing AHL clubs and whatnot). And for our first real franchise experience, that's something I'd like to have.

Well, we'll probably do like most leagues and wait on the first roster update (assuming there's a season). And worst comes to worst, you could trade for a better goalie. I'm sure Stamkos would generate some interest. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah waiting for the first update would be good.

Honestly, a salary cap would be cool imho lol. Don't forget, I have LeCavalier (who I don't like), Teddy Purcell, Ryan Malone, Martin St. Louis, Benoit Pouliot, Victor Hedman, Keith Aulie, and Marc-Andre Bergeron. Damn, Looks like a stacked team! Lol

I haven't read anything too thoroughly, but my understanding of this whole "Connected" thing is that it's basically bringing everything from offline "Be A GM" online...so, I would assume that includes contracts and the salary cap. What EA's claiming to have done between Madden and NHL has supposedly made HUGE changes to the game (even with CPU teams trading amongst themselves and competing with you for prized free agents). We just have to hope everything works properly, lol

I'm also on the authentic type of game play as well. Keeping the real rosters brings that level of "arm chair GM" that we all as fans think we are. I know of a few guys that will be going on the block as soon as the league goes live.

As for the update, If i recall correctly EA does an update on release day to make the rosters the same as they are on September 11. How ever that may be the last update we see if there is a lock out so let hope that Bettman does whats best for the fans and not his ego and "legacy" (3 lockouts)

If there is no lockout, I suggest that we start the season a week after the NHL starts their regular season as that will give EA time to get all the rookies in the game as well.

So I just read the link about no goal celebrations not being true. I just realized, fuck that, I want to do celebrations any time I want during any break in play; this way, I can drop to a knee and punch the ref in the bails anytime I want.

[quote name='moojuice']So I just read the link about no goal celebrations not being true. I just realized, fuck that, I want to do celebrations any time I want during any break in play; this way, I can drop to a knee and punch the ref in the bails anytime I want.[/QUOTE]

LOL...yes, I support that. If I feel like riding my stick around after somebody commits a delay of game penalty, this should completely be possible.

EDIT - Wow...Rinne's rating went down a point from last year. So, he lost the cover vote to Giroux...and went down a point... Thanks EA...

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see all the modes in the demo. Actually surprised "free skate" is in there. That'll give us a good chance to try out the new features and see what works and what feels weird. As for the NHL Moments, based on Madden, it'll probably be something like "The Coyotes have been pushed to the brink, down 3 games to 1, and heading into overtime in game 5. Win the game, force game 6, and keep the Coyotes Stanley Cup hopes alive." Or...it could be the same scenario but from the Kings perspective. They usually either want you to "recreate history" or "rewrite history".

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Glad to see all the modes in the demo. Actually surprised "free skate" is in there. That'll give us a good chance to try out the new features and see what works and what feels weird. As for the NHL Moments, based on Madden, it'll probably be something like "The Coyotes have been pushed to the brink, down 3 games to 1, and heading into overtime in game 5. Win the game, force game 6, and keep the Coyotes Stanley Cup hopes alive." Or...it could be the same scenario but from the Kings perspective. They usually either want you to "recreate history" or "rewrite history".[/QUOTE]

yeah I expect a similar setup for the Moments feature. Probably one of the few times I'm ever interested in a demo, lol

I am signing up for the San Jose Sharks and hoping that my experience with NHL 11 will be enough to be competitive. The game hasn't changed too much right? Field Goals are still worth 4 points?

San Jose Sharks/Wiz2020/Demeo20/EST/???

[quote name='wiz2020']I am signing up for the San Jose Sharks and hoping that my experience with NHL 11 will be enough to be competitive. The game hasn't changed too much right? Field Goals are still worth 4 points?

San Jose Sharks/Wiz2020/Demeo20/EST/???[/QUOTE]

lol...you got it, man. Honestly, I'm not really sure what to expect in regards to the competitive nature of this franchise. I mean, there are a lot of people here who have spent a lot of time with the game over the past few years. But we've spent a majority of that time playing cooperatively. We did a few basic leagues, but they never really lasted long enough to get a good sense of who the "best" player was. So, really, this is a pioneering effort for everybody.

All right, got an owner for Carolina. My buddy Jeremy is going to join us (he played OTP with a few of us one night, can't remember who all was on). He signed up for a CAG account this morning and plays NHL 12 a lot, so he'll be a good addition to the league.

Trying my best to fill all the teams, haha. :)

That's actually a great question. It is so good, I don't really have an answer, lol. I'm trying to remember what they said in one of the videos...I think you can condense the season all the way down to like 20 games or something (since it's based off the real schedule). To me, I'd be nervous to do much more than 20. Even if we had an owner for all 30 teams, if the idea is to do multiple seasons, we can't have each season taking too long. Whatever the shortest option is (unless it's like a 10 game season) would probably be the best.

bread's done
Back