Neo Geo X - Handheld $200

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 jedi0077

jedi0077

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

Do you guys think there'll be a good chance that the more recent Neo Geo games will be released on the NGX? Stuff like Garou: Mark of the Wolves, The Last Blade and the later KOF games?

I don't have any confidence in this company that has still not even released the system.

#32 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Somebody on the net claims to have hacked the Neo Geo X, allowing the user to run unlicensed roms like Andro Duno. I guess people keep forgetting that the damn thing runs Linux and this was going to happen sooner or later. I'm not concerned so much about the ability of being able to use custom bios, but more with what else the hackers can do. Can the X one day be able to become a cheap HTPC?

Braving the pillow gauntlet.

Posted Image

#33 marcorubio

marcorubio

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Somebody on the net claims to have hacked the Neo Geo X, allowing the user to run unlicensed roms like Andro Duno.

Hacking a portable system is a worst thing for the gamer. But NEO GEO X is made such a way that the gamer need to rename for an unauthorized ROM which is brings the most safety for the NEO GEO but its new ROM is hacked, I can’t believe such a horrible news. IF it actually happened, hacker will again prove the invincible of the hacker’s approach. It may be happen because when we start to play during playing the gamer information may be remain at cash memory at this time may be hacker chase the cash memory and find out the way to hack it.

#34 OrangeArmy

OrangeArmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

hacking a portable system is a worst thing for the gamer. But neo geo x is made such a way that the gamer need to rename for an unauthorized rom which is brings the most safety for the neo geo but its new rom is hacked, i can’t believe such a horrible news. If it actually happened, hacker will again prove the invincible of the hacker’s approach. It may be happen because when we start to play during playing the gamer information may be remain at cash memory at this time may be hacker chase the cash memory and find out the way to hack it.

lol!

#35 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Wha? :drool:

Posted Image

#36 OrangeArmy

OrangeArmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

I'm happy to say I've now spent some time with the handheld portion of the NeoGeo X Gold and it's as good as I hoped it was. I liked it so much that I felt compelled to share my impressions on here:

It is well built. The A,B,C and D buttons feel great and the circle pad is excellent. It's grippy and has a fantastic 8-way clickyness to it that I missed when I played my 3DS afterwards. The screen is big, clear and bright. I definately prefered playing in the original resolution rather than stretching the game to fit the screen; something you can do at any time just by clicking the R1 or R2 shoulder buttons.

Most of my time spent so far has been on Samurai Showdown II and it's a perfect reproduction of one of my favorite fighters of all time. I've sunk about 7 hours into this game since Christmas morning and I'm still jonsing for more. My big hands were less crampy after 7 hours of rocking this than they would have been after the same amount of time playing 3DS using the circle pad pro. From what I can tell, the battery is lasting about 7 hours with the screen brightness turned all the way up.

Pressing both A and B or C and D together simultainiously for Hard Punch/Hard Kick is a little bit frustrating so I'm really looking forward to picking up an extra fight stick and hooking this and World Heros Perfect up to a TV for a more authentic experience. I haven't used the arcade stick yet, but I can say it feels like quality - the buttons feel great and the stick feels sturdy and again, has a nice clickyness that I think I could easily get used to (I'm used to Sanwa JLFs). Supposedly this clickyness is a trademark of the NeoGeo. I don't remember the arcade cabinet NeoGeos that I used to play on having this clickyness but it's been a long time since I've graced an arcade.

The docking/console part looks sharp but I'm a little worried about the durability of the locking tabs and the spring switch. They seem kind of flimsy. The lack of a sturdier AC adapter plugin port is another slight quality concern.

The handheld's speakers are kind of weak. I'm going to try some headphones out when the unit is done charging. Audio quality is not a big problem for me but this may bother some people.

I sampled a little bit of Magician Lord, World Heros and a couple of the shooters but not enough to share an useful opinion other than pointing out the great visuals. Anyone familiar with NeoGeo games is probably already aware of how nice the graphics are in most of these games. I kept thinking as I was playing, "after After 20 years (or so) I finally own a freakin NeoGeo! Holy Crap!"

If I were asked to give this thing a rating after the 7 hours I've spent with it, I'd give it a 9.5/10. It's a great value. The hardware seems high quality (initially) and there are some really great titles included. The whole thing is just really well thought out and executed with respect for the brand. Owning a NeoGeo and a bunch of games is FINALLY afordable!

I'm hoping this starts a trend because I'd love to see a Saturn or a Master System type thing like this happen one day as that's the only way I could see myself adding those systems to my library at this point in my life.

Edited by OrangeArmy, 27 December 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#37 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

It's kinda odd that the button layout is not:
A C
B D
but
C D
A B

I'm used to the first one because weak attacks are at the top, strong is at the bottom. But it still works fine for Metal Slug. On the joystick I'm not that sure since I have to contort my index to ring fingers due to that curved button layout.

People are also complaining about lag. Is it only on the HDTVs, and isn't that a problem with some other game systems as well?

Posted Image

#38 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

http://blog.hardcore...yers-guide.html
Here's a buyer's guide. I wonder if anybody could do a composite video mod with better parts like what people with the actual consolized mvs and aes.

Posted Image

#39 screwkick

screwkick

\m/ >< \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Such a shame. I had high hopes for this system. Looks like Tommo was planning a cash grab all along.

#40 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

....I'm hoping this starts a trend because I'd love to see a Saturn or a Master System type thing like this happen one day as that's the only way I could see myself adding those systems to my library at this point in my life.

The Sega Master System was really popular in Brazil, so they did make some multi-game systems over there by tectoy. I've been waiting forever for some company to import them because they come with 132 Master System games.

http://www.tectoy.co...terna.php?id=37

Edit: Huh... I guess there's an American one too, but it's not nearly as cool. http://stoneagegamer.com/poga.aspx
Posted Image

#41 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Due to questionable build quality and lack of verified future support, I just returned my Neo Geo X Gold to Amazon. It made me sad, but I feel somewhat relieved now...

Hope whoever gets it enjoys it.

#42 screwkick

screwkick

\m/ >< \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Well, that didn't take long.

http://kotaku.com/59...oming-to-an-end

#43 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Well, that didn't take long.

http://kotaku.com/59...oming-to-an-end

Huh... I guess I need to save up and try to buy one before they're impossible to find. I didn't expect it to have a long production run, but this is a little silly. :lol:
Posted Image

#44 dan13l858

dan13l858

R.I.P. Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, I might buy a second copy before the end of January.

#45 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Huh... I guess I need to save up and try to buy one before they're impossible to find. I didn't expect it to have a long production run, but this is a little silly. :lol:

Seems that it's just the LE.

Update: Siliconera reports that only the "limited edition" NeoGeo X units are out of production. The original report from Japanese site Gamer did not make such a clarification.

2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#46 OrangeArmy

OrangeArmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

The Sega Master System was really popular in Brazil, so they did make some multi-game systems over there by tectoy. I've been waiting forever for some company to import them because they come with 132 Master System games.

http://www.tectoy.co...terna.php?id=37

Edit: Huh... I guess there's an American one too, but it's not nearly as cool. http://stoneagegamer.com/poga.aspx

Wow, this is awesome KillerRamen! I'm going to look into this some more. Thanks!

Still havent plugged the NGX into a TV yet to see how bad the lag/tearing is but I'm still playing and loving the handheld. No regrets so far.
I'm anxious to find out what the upcoming game releases and prices will be.

#47 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Quick question for owners.

I know the arcade stick is compatible with PC/PS3 (Neo Geo Station) just curious if you can use it on X360, for Garou MotW's?

Anyone know off hand?
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#48 binici

binici

www.TheTradeBox.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Does this thing have online support?

#49 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves is coming to the Neo Geo X this April!
http://www.engadget....case-and-cable/

Posted Image

#50 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

Has a ton of stuff FS/FT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Cowboom has the NeoGeo X for $99.99 right now in condition 6. There are a few that say all the parts are there. Really tempted to get one for that price.
Checkout my FS/FT/Wants list! :bouncy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also want Transformers or Gobots

#51 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

Has a ton of stuff FS/FT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

Ended up ordering it from cowboom and I got my grade 6 neo-geo x gold in pretty much new shape. Everything was included (boxes, manuals, cables, ninja masters card). Except for the seal on the box being broken, it didn't look like it was ever touched.
Checkout my FS/FT/Wants list! :bouncy:
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC
Also want Transformers or Gobots

#52 screwkick

screwkick

\m/ >< \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

best buy.com has lowered the price to $129.99

http://www.bestbuy.c...=7062107&st=neo