Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#4831 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Just activated he $5 Front Mission Evolved retail box I got from newegg. 10GB DL, wow. It's on a single dvd, must be super compressed.

#4832 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

We do not speak of it!

Eh, just summarize it by saying he didn't have a spine for criticism/disagreements. He apparently hated me because I didn't accept his friend request for 24 hours (maybe less?), so he withdrew it. Then later commented how it made him angry that I didn't accept.

#4833 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Risen 1 is fine -- I glanced over your impressions but didn't really see any strong negatives (other than the fact you just might not be into these types of games). Oblivion is flat out horrible and shouldn't be dubbed a 'hardcore RPG' in any sense of the definition. That said, I found Risen 1 had flaws particularly with the linearity towards the end and the laughably bad final boss encounter. Overall it plays like a somewhat updated amalgam of Gothics 1 and 2.

Wow, I finally found someone.else who didn't care for Oblivion. It might have been I got hit by the Vampire bug, but it seemed kind of dry to me, and the towers got very repetitive. It never got me excited to play. KOTN was the only part I enjoyed.
Again, might have been the stupid bug that forced me to only play at night and just made me constantly angry at Bethesda quality control.

#4834 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Eh, just summarize it by saying he didn't have a spine for criticism/disagreements. He apparently hated me because I didn't accept his friend request for 24 hours (maybe less?), so he withdrew it. Then later commented how it made him angry that I didn't accept.

Lol really? I liked motoki and all but it sounds like maybe he had sand in his vagina.

#4835 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Wow, I finally found someone.else who didn't care for Oblivion. It might have been I got hit by the Vampire bug, but it seemed kind dry to me.

Again, might have been the stupid bug that forced me to only play at night.

Eh, I've never been able to get into the Elder Scrolls series. Too much free choice, I think. I can see the appeal for others, but I play games for the stories. And not the ones I make - I like to be involved in something pre-created, and watch it unfold from the inside.

*shrug* I keep hoping/wanting to like the Elder Scrolls games, but they just never seem to be able to pique my interest.

#4836 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Risen is free on VOID right now.

yessir. I have Risen in one of my VOID slots right now. Should DL and play it first. From what I heard 2 is worse than 1, but who knows. If a pirate RPG appeals to you I don't think you have that many games to choose from.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4837 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

yessir. I have Risen in one of my VOID slots right now. Should DL and play it first. From what I heard 2 is worse than 1, but who knows. If a pirate RPG appeals to you I don't think you have that many games to choose from.

Thats pretty much the only reason I've ever had interest in Risen 2. There is a big lack of pirate rpgs. Sadly due to all the negativity I've heard about the game I will wait til it hits $10 or less before I bite. Probably around $5.

#4838 BNoyes

BNoyes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Eh, I've never been able to get into the Elder Scrolls series. Too much free choice, I think. I can see the appeal for others, but I play games for the stories. And not the ones I make - I like to be involved in something pre-created, and watch it unfold from the inside.

*shrug* I keep hoping/wanting to like the Elder Scrolls games, but they just never seem to be able to pique my interest.

I've never been a fan of the main stories in the Elder Scrolls games, but I actually think some of the side stories you get from the various factions/guilds or random quests are some of the more engaging and interesting stories in gaming. I felt the same way about the newer Fallout games. I've always felt that the best way to enjoy those games is to avoid the main quest and enjoy everything else about the world.

#4839 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

I've never been a fan of the main stories in the Elder Scrolls games, but I actually think some of the side stories you get from the various factions/guilds or random quests are some of the more engaging and interesting stories in gaming. I felt the same way about the newer Fallout games. I've always felt that the best way to enjoy those games is to avoid the main quest and enjoy everything else about the world.

I guess I've never managed to actually get to any of the faction/guild questlines to experience them. I think I get bored long before I get the chance.

I ended up with a copy of Skyrim recently, so I'm hoping eventually it'll suck me in, but I'm not holding my breath.

#4840 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

I guess I've never managed to actually get to any of the faction/guild questlines to experience them. I think I get bored long before I get the chance.

I ended up with a copy of Skyrim recently, so I'm hoping eventually it'll suck me in, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've only ever played Skyrim and recently picked up Oblivion.

My main issue with Skyrim is they call it free choice/play but it really is not. I played with the purpose of being the Serial Killer of Skyrim, but no matter how covert my kills were, it still marked up my "bad person" score and made it impossible for me to go into certain places and complete quests without leveling up to the point of being able to kill all guards.

I know most games, from GTA to Sleeping Dogs, tend to be the same, but it irks me. If I sneak into a house at midnight and kill everyone while they are sleeping, guards shouldn't magically show up out of nowhere and it shouldn't affect game play unless anyone sees me.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4841 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Wow, I finally found someone.else who didn't care for Oblivion. It might have been I got hit by the Vampire bug, but it seemed kind of dry to me, and the towers got very repetitive. It never got me excited to play. KOTN was the only part I enjoyed.
Again, might have been the stupid bug that forced me to only play at night and just made me constantly angry at Bethesda quality control.

I'll preface my remarks by saying my usual 'stomping grounds' for game discussion is a seedy little hole in the internet known as RPG Codex. For unvarnished opinions on most of today's RPGs and other genres you might want to check it out. That said, CAG a is great resource for spotting deals and some discussion on the quality of games on sale but I try to remember I'm sort of a 'guest' here and don't launch into massive diatribes against the current state of the AAA industry as I realize my tastes probably diverge quite a bit.

My big problem with games like Oblivion is that they ultimately devolve into E-LARP simulators. There's basically no challenge or limiting circumstances. No choice and consequence, no mutually exclusive character development, etc. While I certainly don't like railroaded and directed experiences it is nice to have a game where the world just isn't some virtual playground where you can roll over everything at almost any level. Moreover, as you note a lot of the locations were hyper generic and repetitive. Not to mention Gamebryo is a horrendous engine to do an ARPG on. I could go on and on but... again... not really the place for it. Suffice to say I think Piranha Bytes (prior to Risen 2 and excluding the poorly designed Gothic 3) did a good job of balancing things and giving people a somewhat 'free roam' approach while still having a directed story that presented challenging obstacles, proper choice and consequence, character development, etc. Risen 2 just got to... ahem... 'mainstream!'

#4842 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Going back and looking at his farewell post last month, I was under the impression his beef was with Idiotekque.

Maybe it was multiple things.

Dunno. Over and gone, I guess.

While I certainly don't like railroaded and directed experiences it is nice to have a game where the world just isn't some virtual playground where you can roll over everything at almost any level.

The dynamic leveling of enemies is absolutely one of my biggest complaints in Bethesda's games. I hated it in Oblivion, though I think Fallout: New Vegas made it work slightly better (possibly because Fallout:NV actually had a fantastic amount of narrative content I was interested in seeing, and the combat was kind of filler to me.

To me it really cheapens gaining levels and the satisfaction gained from supposedly late-game content.

Edited by Eldredpe, 09 October 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#4843 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Going back and looking at his farewell post last month, I was under the impression his beef was with Idiotekque.

Maybe it was multiple things.

Dunno. Over and gone, I guess.

Who left because of Motoki? Did they come back now that he left?

#4844 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Who left because of Motoki? Did they come back now that he left?

Nobody that I know of, I was referring to Motoki himself leaving.

#4845 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Nobody that I know of, I was referring to Motoki himself leaving.

I know, your post was just the most recent regarding to Motoki so I quoted you. But I thought there was someone prior to the whole Idiotekque and Motoki argument that argued with Motoki and left, or at least stopped posting in the thread.

#4846 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Wish I'd never mentioned the bloody M-word now! :) Nevermind, life goes on. I miss that handsome avatar of his though.

I like this thread. A lot. I'd never have even heard about Mooby's RPG Codex background anywhere else, it's a wealth of opinions in one tidy little black book of intelligible forum users. Well, mostly. I've never taken to that Fragalot chap. He's crazygagaloopydoo.

#4847 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Wish I'd never mentioned the bloody M-word now! :) Nevermind, life goes on. I miss that handsome avatar of his though.

I like this thread. A lot. I'd never have even heard about Mooby's RPG Codex background anywhere else, it's a wealth of opinions in one tidy little black book of intelligible forum users. Well, mostly. I've never taken to that Fragalot chap. He's crazygagaloopydoo.

This is mostly the only thread I post in on CAG. I visit a few others, but don't usually post in them. But I think I come in here so much to essentially just check out up on how off topic it can get. Well, that and deals I guess...

EDIT: Since I missed earlier today and I feel like asking anyway, has anyone played Babel Rising? And on another note, did anyone get caught up with it and feel as though they need to complain to the makers because it has to do with the current religion their following?

#4848 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

This is mostly the only thread I post in on CAG. I visit a few others, but don't usually post in them. But I think I come in here so much to essentially just check out up on how off topic it can get. Well, that and deals I guess...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/image.php?u=213546&dateline=1249892838

#4849 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/image.php?u=213546&dateline=1249892838

Awww Gir is soooooo pretty. I actually made a painting of this image although his head is slightly out of proportion... because I am no artist.

EDIT: And I know that I am certainly a contributor at derailing this thread...

#4850 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

I am biased after working in IT. I have a special hatred for the human race and it has left me a dead cold husk who has no remorse over what he says. Thus I am often called an asshole, which I am somewhat and my speech has become monotone sarcasm. Plus being on the internet for roughly 20 years, I've come to realize that arguing a point is entirely pointless beyond your initial side. I just leave it at that and they can think whatever the hell they want as it's not worth the time investment. You can either just go with "Eh, I'll agree to disagree" or it will never end until one side can't take it anymore.

I guess my general "Fuck it, I don't care anymore. I'll just sit over here and eat shit." attitude has turned me into a Panda. Just without the excess weight gain.

#4851 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

I am biased after working in IT. I have a special hatred for the human race and it has left me a dead cold husk who has no remorse over what he says. Thus I am often called an asshole, which I am somewhat and my speech has become monotone sarcasm. Plus being on the internet for roughly 20 years, I've come to realize that arguing a point is entirely pointless beyond your initial side. I just leave it at that and they can think whatever the hell they want as it's not worth the time investment. You can either just go with "Eh, I'll agree to disagree" or it will never end until one side can't take it anymore.

I guess my general "Fuck it, I don't care anymore. I'll just sit over here and eat shit." attitude has turned me into a Panda. Just without the excess weight gain.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/image.php?u=47276&dateline=1204650104

#4852 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Somebody once told me that pandas are basically goths, it's hard to argue with that logic. For starters I've never seen a panda dancing to disco.

#4853 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

Somebody once told me that pandas are basically goths, it's hard to argue with that logic. For starters I've never seen a panda dancing to disco.

And they seem to have trouble breeding.

#4854 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

What was the connection to that statement and the one that you quoted?

I feel like I'm missing something contextually.

#4855 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Also, DANGEROUSLY CAGGY DEAL TALK:

I noticed that the GreenManGaming 25% off code is valid on XCOM for those of us based NOT in North America. That makes it £22.50 ($34ish?) and comes with a copy of Civilization V. Decent deal.

Does anybody know if the XCOM game is region-locked?

#4856 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

And they seem to have trouble breeding.

Zing!!!!

#4857 headpiece747

headpiece747

I'm always angry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

Playing through Sleeping Dogs and this game brought my computer to its knees and I had to knock down the settings. If anyone else is running SLI and has a problem running it here is what I had to do to get it to run smooth with the newest nVidia driver 306.23:

To get SLI working, download nVidia Inspector. Click the spanner and screwdriver icon beside the 'driver version' field, to get to the games profiles list. Create a new profile and call it Sleeping Dogs or whatever you like. Select 'add application to current profile' and add the Sleeping Dogs exe - it's 'hkship.exe' in Steam/steamapps/common/SleepingDogs. Finally add the value '0x0C4010F5' (no quotes) in the 'SLI Compatibility bits (DX1x)' box. ~Laivasse at the Steam Forums

I went from 100+ temps, screaming card and stuttering to 70 temp and manageable noise and playable. Really enjoying this game and trying to beat so CAGs records in the Social Hub (looking at you CheapLikeAFox).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4858 Bzzzzzt!

Bzzzzzt!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

It looks like everyone with AirMech in their account is getting two additional copies in their inventory to give away.

Edited by stapleking, 10 October 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#4859 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

My big problem with games like Oblivion is that they ultimately devolve into E-LARP simulators. There's basically no challenge or limiting circumstances. No choice and consequence, no mutually exclusive character development, etc.

All of my Bethesda games follow the same arc. Make character, go exploring, think "Hey, this world is pretty neat! What's over that hill?", repeat a bunch of times, get disillusioned that what's over the hill is always pretty much the same thing as what was over the previous hill, decide "Let's just wrap this up", complete main quest and done.

I enjoy them through that arc but I don't get how some people can spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in them. Good for them though, I should be so lucky to get that much enjoyment out of a game.

#4860 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Playing through Sleeping Dogs and this game brought my computer to its knees and I had to knock down the settings. If anyone else is running SLI and has a problem running it here is what I had to do to get it to run smooth with the newest nVidia driver 306.23:

I went from 100+ temps, screaming card and stuttering to 70 temp and manageable noise and playable. Really enjoying this game and trying to beat so CAGs records in the Social Hub (looking at you CheapLikeAFox).

I will wheelie around hong kong for hours if that's what it takes to protect my record ;)