Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#4921 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Basically, can anyone convince me NOT to grab this. sunghost has graciously volunteered to assist me with the IGN discount should I decide to grab the game.

No, sorry, I can't. I'm actually playing through Teeth of Naros at the moment and according to Steam I've put 90 hours into this, Dead Kel, and the base game. It's a fun game with solid combat that isn't just button-mashing, an interesting story with a blend of mythological influences (mostly Celtic but several others), and probably the most flexible levelling system in the history of ARPGs. ~$15 for this kind of entertainment is a steal.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#4922 BernardoOne

BernardoOne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

..."What are seven games that will soon make up 45% of Steamgifts?"

Better than Indie Bundle games! :p. Way better in my opinion. I already have 2 of the games on the bundle and will probably give them away there :)

#4923 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

Its a mix of the both in this one. (tl;dr'd)

Yes, it is all random. (Also tl;dr'd).

Thanks to both of you for responding. Kaotik, my concern wasn't with missions being different during the course of one campaign playthrough (I'd certainly expect that much!). I'm more concerned about still having the random ufo-shot-down missions, or random base raids, etc. I'd prefer as little similarity as possible in missions between different campaign playthroughs. JakeNome addressed this when he mentioned having key campaign missions that you do go along the core "plot" with.

I'll probably be getting it anyway. I'm hearing (a lot) that it did the original justice, and i'm a pretty huge fan of the original. (The demo was extremely fun too, so i have faith i'll enjoy it quite a bit!) I just would have preferred it to be extremely open ended, with your progress entirely based off what you did (Such as with its predecessor) rather than any predefined missions as JakeNome seems to indicate.

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#4924 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Better than Indie Bundle games!

Touché :lol:

No offense to people who put up indie games. I just hate scrolling past a hundred of any singular title.

#4925 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

No, sorry, I can't. I'm actually playing through Teeth of Naros at the moment and according to Steam I've put 90 hours into this, Dead Kel, and the base game. It's a fun game with solid combat that isn't just button-mashing, an interesting story with a blend of mythological influences (mostly Celtic but several others), and probably the most flexible levelling system in the history of ARPGs. ~$15 for this kind of entertainment is a steal.

That's pretty much exactly what I needed. Do you have any short opinions on the dlc to provide?

#4926 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

No offense to people who put up indie games. I just hate scrolling past a hundred of any singular title.

I am definitely with you, but SG people are so super cheap that you still won't see too many of these games on there I don't think. If past Amazon bundles are any indicate you will see some (maybe a lot of JC or whatever most people already have). It will still be a nice change of pace for the 100s of IG9 individual games up right now.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4927 BernardoOne

BernardoOne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, seeing Worms Golf and Broken Sword games all week can get quite tiresome. For that reason I prefer giving my extra bundle keys on a group called "Bundle Leftovers", so only people that are interested in those type of games can see it :)

Oh, and I dont know if you know, but there is a browser plugin available for steamgifts, that allows you put games to a "ignore" list, and they will not appear anymore :)

#4928 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

$9.99 for a bundle with:

Deus Ex Human Revolution Augmented Edition + DLC
Supreme Commander 2
Hitman Blood Money
The Last Remnant
Just Cause
Just Cause 2
Quantum Conundrum

:applause:

It's too bad I own all of that but wow. Amazon has really stepped it up in the last year.

Hand__Of__God.png

#4929 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Oblivion wasn't that hard. I pretty much walked through it at the default difficulty with one exception: the first Gate battle where you get swarmed with a bajillion Daedra and your NPC companions prove worthless. After the fact, I was told that gets harder the longer you wait and I did mess around quite a while before doing it. Aside from that, I went with your typical sword & board fighter with some healing magic. Once I started enchanting and spell researching, the game became laughably easy. I never cheated or used mods or glitches.

When I played Skyrim, I went with a pure mage character just for something different. Only wore robes and my only melee weapon was a dagger with a soul trap enchantment on it. I still rolled through at the default setting. I'm not complaining about it and obviously I could have jacked up the difficulty but my point is that you don't need to cheat, hack, mod, glitch etc to find a game pretty easy.

I gotta say that any ES/Fallout game is pretty manageable on normal mode if you have common sense and know how to play a video game. I felt the same way with Mass Effect 1 and 2 on normal mode; I had to ramp them up to the highest respective difficulties to feel challenged (although I admit that Insanity on ME2 was mind-numbingly impossible once or twice).

That's why there are difficulty settings on these games. Something wonderful about the ES and Fallout games is that not only can you set the difficulty up to what makes the game challenging enough for you, it's also rewarding, because it increases the amount of experience you gain per kill too. I usually play ES games on Expert (not Master) and it makes it challenging enough yet still dynamic enough that I can swing a battle-axe around and drop enemies left and right. Complaining about difficulty as a factor of how good a game is or isn't seems silly when there's an incredibly well made and intuitive difficulty setting right there.

As for whether Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim are good games or not... Well, that just comes down to preference. I grew up on PSX RPGs that took at LEAST 30 hours to beat, and I still always took 100+ hours in them because I did every possible side quest, found every legendary weapon, etc. I still was never satisfied though, because with as much freedom as a game like FFIX could give you, it was still holding your hand throughout the game. I don't like my hand being held. I don't like linearity unless the storyline is INCREDIBLE (my favorite game is a split between Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy Tactics), otherwise I feel like I'm just doing a series of chores till I reach the final boss and toss the game aside, never to play again.

There's replay value to the ES games that other games simply don't have. I can go anywhere and do anything, and I'm not bogged down by a story that I might not particularly enjoy. I like making multiple characters with completely different skill sets, morals, personalities, etc. There's so much variety that I have to chuckle when people say the games are too repetitive, or easy, or have a crappy story, because the games do what other games just don't. They immerse the player with history and lore and all those other things that make up fantasy world, and they give you choices. Not many games do that.

But hey, it's all preference. I don't hate linear RPGs either, but I'm biased towards really good, classic RPGs. Let's just say I couldn't get far through FFXIII without getting extremely bored.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#4930 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

Wednesday annoyance: even if I had XCOM (I don't (yet (still time for willpower to fail me))), I can't play it until Friday.

Grrrr.

#4931 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Wednesday annoyance: even if I had XCOM (I don't (yet (still time for willpower to fail me))), I can't play it until Friday.

Grrrr.

Let it fail.

The game is amazing.

#4932 SadPanda99

SadPanda99

I hate know it alls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Let it fail.

The game is amazing.

Hi praise indeed. I gave it an hour last night and was taken right back to the original. It plays identically, but with updated graphics and cutscenes. I'm curious about repetitiveness, we'll see.
Posted Image

PM me to trade for EA PGA 11, MMA, Shift 2 Season Passes

#4933 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

It's definitely just the multiplayer for the most part. Rarely have I seen people who switch to the new iteration ever touch the SP, I used to do both but now its really just for the MP.

I still do both SP and MP.

Its weird hearing someone doesn't like competitive MP lol, CoD is all about the MP at the end of the day.

COD series and BF3 have a robust MP, for sure.
Personally - I prefer BF3 on the MP.

EDIT:
Though, I do like Kill Confirmed (Team DM Mode) in COD: MW3.

#4934 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Grrrr.

Having only played the original X-Com and Sleeping Dogs, I say just get Sleeping Dogs instead. Much better graphics and gameplay and no weird radar system with dots telling you aliens are coming to Africa.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4935 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

It looks like Train Sim 13 has been updated again, this time removing the $30 'standard' edition and keeping a $52 deluxe edition. As of this time, for me, going to the page for Train Sim standard just sends me to the deluxe edition. I had wanted to eventually get the base game but adding on a $40 dlc and $22 to the base price makes me definitely think again.

#4936 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

It looks like Train Sim 13 has been updated again, this time removing the $30 'standard' edition and keeping a $52 deluxe edition. As of this time, for me, going to the page for Train Sim standard just sends me to the deluxe edition. I had wanted to eventually get the base game but adding on a $40 dlc and $22 to the base price makes me definitely think again.

You didn't get it during the summer sale? Because I got 2012 during the summer sale and it says I already own 2013 Deluxe when I go to the page. Between this and the other like 5 Train Simulators I bought recently I don't need much else :)

#4937 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hi praise indeed. I gave it an hour last night and was taken right back to the original. It plays identically, but with updated graphics and cutscenes. I'm curious about repetitiveness, we'll see.

According to steam i've played 17 hours already. I'd say 5-6 of those are paused moments taking care of my son. So in my 12ish hours I've been beyond pleased with the result.

The only moment of frustration for me was after a flawless mission, the next mission stopped responding to all keyboard inputs after taking a screenshot. When I loaded up my last save everything went fubar in the first mission this time, resulting in me taking 4 heavies into the next mission.

I can see some repitition in map use becoming an issue. Even with different enemy spawns, most maps play the same. Move squad a up one side, squad b up the other, meet at back center of map to finish off enemy.

#4938 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

You didn't get it during the summer sale? Because I got 2012 during the summer sale and it says I already own 2013 Deluxe when I go to the page. Between this and the other like 5 Train Simulators I bought recently I don't need much else :)

I neglected to pick it up then, took too long to decide.

#4939 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Oh, and I dont know if you know, but there is a browser plugin available for steamgifts, that allows you put games to a "ignore" list, and they will not appear anymore :)

Yeah, I tried that but it does some "elastic" thing where it starts showing them, then sucks them away or something. Maybe it just does it for me. Anyway, it was disconcerting enough that I'm "happier" just scrolling past a million X-Blades.

#4940 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, I tried that but it does some "elastic" thing where it starts showing them, then sucks them away or something. Maybe it just does it for me. Anyway, it was disconcerting enough that I'm "happier" just scrolling past a million X-Blades.

The ignore feature doesn't work correctly for me either. I told it to ignore games I already owned AND I added Rome: Total War and it still showed me every single copy.

#4941 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

I'm not complaining about it and obviously I could have jacked up the difficulty

Complaining about difficulty as a factor of how good a game is or isn't seems silly when there's an incredibly well made and intuitive difficulty setting right there.

Right then. Thanks for your lengthy reply :lol:

#4942 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

Given that there is Trains Vs Zombies DLC for it, I would think there's a possibility of a Halloween Sale.

#4943 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

It does that because the website loads in some of the giveaways before the add-on responds. Thus is loading giveaways you blocked out and then removing them in a couple seconds. So if that it occurring for you then that should mean it is working. Unless it is removing games you didn't ignore.

The ignore feature doesn't work correctly for me either. I told it to ignore games I already owned AND I added Rome: Total War and it still showed me every single copy.

Well if you ever delete or remove your browser's cookies, or is it the cache, then it will remove any games inserted into the ignore list. But if isn't working and you haven't done that then who knows. Also if you use Ccleaner regularly it will do this every single time unless you tell it to ignore the browser's stuff.

#4944 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

The steamgifts greasemonkey addon is a lifesaver. If I see something I am not interested in, or 500 of something I have no desire to enter, I just hit ignore and never have to see them again.

Edit: I WISH there was an option to just have it load all the giveaways at once. I hate loading every time I scroll down. [ If there is an option for this and I have somehow missed it, please enlighten me! :) ]

#4945 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

//Think I'll wait a year until xcom and dishonored are in a bundle with 6 other games for $10 at amazon// :lol:

#4946 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

It does that because the website loads in some of the giveaways before the add-on responds. Thus is loading giveaways you blocked out and then removing them in a couple seconds. So if that it occurring for you then that should mean it is working.

I get what it's doing, I just dislike the visual effect of it happening. That's completely a personal thing though.

#4947 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

I get what it's doing, I just dislike the visual effect of it happening. That's completely a personal thing though.

Nah, not really, it peeves me too. :cry:

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#4948 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

Whoa, $2.49 is an excellent price for Blocks That Matter. I got the game when it was in a Humble Bundle, and it turned out to be one of my personal favorites.

Blocks That Matter definitely deserves your time if you like Platformer's and Puzzles.

#4949 AdvOfJet

AdvOfJet

Brotherhood of Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

This is actually due to the way that Steam Gifts tracks the games that you own. It only updates your library in it's system every few days. If you have recently added an item you will need to go in and manually sync Steam Gifts.

Click on Account at the top of the page and then click on Sync Account. There should be a Force Sync button which will update your library information and keep the ones you already own from showing up.
Posted Image

#4950 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

This is actually due to the way that Steam Gifts tracks the games that you own. It only updates your library in it's system every few days. If you have recently added an item you will need to go in and manually sync Steam Gifts.

Click on Account at the top of the page and then click on Sync Account. There should be a Force Sync button which will update your library information and keep the ones you already own from showing up.

I've done that with no relief. Seems maybe it is my browser problem, but it just doesn't work for me. I just learn to scroll on by.