Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#4981 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

daily deal is CUBEMEN for 1.99

Hand__Of__God.png

#4982 dbolt

dbolt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Cubemen is the new Magicka. It's been on sale many times :roll:

#4983 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Farming simulator 2013 is 75% off of the preorder.

#4984 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'd buy Game of Thrones at 75% off - but not the Game of Thrones + Genesis package for 75% off. Maybe it's an error that'll fix itself later. Game of Thrones isn't discounted at all by itself (yet all DLC are).

#4985 Mike UFC

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Contemplating the Sherlock Holmes pack for $8.74. I've passed on that thing so many times already and with a new game added....hmmm

#4986 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Weekend deal is Focus Weekend catalog for up to 75% off.

Farming simulator 2013 is 75% off of the preorder.

They are sure to correct that. If I had even the slightest interest in the game, I'd jump on that right now.

I am interested in the Sherlock Holmes collection though. This is the first time that it's been that low since the 2010 Holiday sale.

EDIT: I can see that Motoki already bought Farming simulator 2013. lol

EDIT #2: OK, I couldn't resit it either. I just bought Farming Simulator 2013. lol

Edited by The End, 11 October 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#4987 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Contemplating the Sherlock Holmes pack for $8.74. I've passed on that thing so many times already and with a new game added....hmmm

So am I, but that's just too many games to put on my backlog. :lol:

#4988 soopermv

soopermv

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Divinity II any good?
Posted Image

#4989 GoJays2025

GoJays2025

I like cake.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Divinity II any good?

It's been $5 before.
Get $2 after you spend $2 on Green Man Gaming by registering with my link. Thanks! :D

#4990 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Oh it looks like there's also a free weekend for Sanctum. Game is also 75% off.

#4991 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

It's been $5 before.

Are you sure? steamgamesales.com says otherwise. Shows the lowest price being $10. Unless you weren't talking about Dragon Knight Saga, but that's probably the only version to buy now.

#4992 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Are you sure? steamgamesales.com says otherwise. Shows the lowest price being $10.

Amazon sometimes sells a steam activatable version for $5.99.

#4993 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

The Pendulo Studios pack for $14.99 is tempting as well.

#4994 Rirse

Rirse

The Death of Grammar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

The Farming Simulator sale is now dead.

#4995 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

The Farming Simulator sale is now dead.

I knew it was most likely a price mistake, but I still couldn't see myself ever getting even $7.49 worth of enjoyment out of this. :P

#4996 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

The game gives you weapons but in no way does it ever force you to fight. Considering you can play through the entire game without killing anyone or being detected, yeah I think you missed something and just went straight ahead treating it like any other game that comes out nowadays.

If you have read and watch any stuff by the devs, they all pretty much say this game needs to be played as a stealth game, they give you the options to kill and play as action if you want too but that isn't the point of the game and you will miss out on a huge amount of what the game has to offer.

Sure you can do plenty in combat and upgrade stuff for it and that is needed because sometimes unless you are trying to do a 100% no kill/ghost run you will probably goof up and have to fight people, no reason the combat mechanics can not work well and have their own thing even if they are not the focus of the game. I'm half way done with the game and I've had to kill a handful of people as I goofed, I've probably killed around 20 people total for half the game so far. I avoid it as much as possible.

Sounds to me you went in thinking it is an action game and it isn't and you don't care for stealth which this is. So in your case, you wasted your money then.

OK, so what did you do in the very first scene? Just stand there?

Also, I don't think I should have to read and look into things to prepare myself on how to play a game. I knew this game was a stealth/action game going in. I didn't waste any money, it's a free rental :) And I still don't see the big deal here. To me it is Skyrim with slightly better combat. I'm pretty sure you could try to avoid killing people in Skyrim if you wanted too. Still don't see how calling it Skyrim with slightly better combat is an insult or me stating I dislike the game.

Also, I MISSED $6 FARM SIMULATOR :(

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4997 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

The game gives you weapons but in no way does it ever force you to fight. Considering you can play through the entire game without killing anyone or being detected, yeah I think you missed something and just went straight ahead treating it like any other game that comes out nowadays.

Well... it is like any other game that comes out nowadays. There's a ton of crazy and imbalanced super powers that trivializes even a stealth based playthrough. And, as Fox mentions, there's pretty much nothing stopping you from playing it as a straight-on action game. That isn't playing the game incorrectly. It's a conscious design decision by Arkane (and Bethesderp). If they wanted it to be a pure stealth game or present a 'correct' way to play it they would have made it more like Thief where you can't really fight any enemy one-one-one let alone take on a whole room of them.

#4998 Bios Element

Bios Element

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Well... it is like any other game that comes out nowadays. There's a ton of crazy and imbalanced super powers that trivializes even a stealth based playthrough. And, as Fox mentions, there's pretty much nothing stopping you from playing it as a straight-on action game. That isn't playing the game incorrectly. It's a conscious design decision by Arkane (and Bethesderp). If they wanted it to be a pure stealth game or present a 'correct' way to play it they would have made it more like Thief where you can't really fight any enemy one-one-one let alone take on a whole room of them.

Ahh, but they did. See I frequently get crushed if the guard can get an alert off, and I'm no slouch at FPS/Melee combat games. While it is possible, You really DO NOT want that too happen. So They took, IMO, the perfect approach. Allow players to do what they want, but make it rather hard either way.

As for OP powers, that's the point. The devs already said that was kinda the entire point, as it's meant to be fun, not multiplayer. More solo games could learn from that. ^_^ Fun != Hard all the time.
Looking for a friendly little gaming community? You should check out BiosHub! We play a little bit of everything, from Natural Selection 2 and PlanetSide 2 to Guild Wars 2 and AI Wars. - http://bioshub.com/

#4999 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

I can't really disagree with that since it's entirely subjective. Challenge is fun to me although I recognize there's a larger audience AAA publishers have to market to so, in a sense, I guess one has to create their own difficulty levels by simply ignoring/not using certain game play elements. Next they'll ask us to play with one hand tied behind our backs! Or... blindfolded for the ultimate Zen Master experience!

#5000 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Meh, I'm going through Dishonored on hard with all waypoints/objectives off, exploring on my own and going full stealth. I haven't upgraded/learned any power yet, but have more than enough to do so. I find it most fun for me treating it like a full on stealth game.

I'm finding it pretty fun. Quite a few different ways to approach the level, which will make re-playability possible for me. Especially since there's a low chaos ending and a high chaos ending.

#5001 groz24

groz24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Damn, I would have bit on the Farming Simulator for $7.50 just for grins. Probably will pick up the Sherlock collection if the games are any good.

#5002 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Meh, I'm going through Dishonored on hard with all waypoints/objectives off, exploring on my own and going full stealth. I haven't upgraded/learned any power yet, but have more than enough to do so. I find it most fun for me treating it like a full on stealth game.

I'm finding it pretty fun. Quite a few different ways to approach the level, which will make re-playability possible for me. Especially since there's a low chaos ending and a high chaos ending.

See, high chaos/low chaos endings just reinforces the fact the game should be enjoyable either way. I'm having fun so far, but it just feels like a tweaked version of Skyrim to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time for me I wish the game had a distinct feel to me rather than feeling like the tweaked the other game, added a different theme and stealth elements, and shipped it out.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#5003 DWulf

DWulf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

You can just stand there and block incoming attacks. You actually can get through the scene that way (although it's kind of illogical).

#5004 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Also, I don't think I should have to read and look into things to prepare myself on how to play a game. I knew this game was a stealth/action game going in. I didn't waste any money, it's a free rental :) And I still don't see the big deal here. To me it is Skyrim with slightly better combat. I'm pretty sure you could try to avoid killing people in Skyrim if you wanted too. Still don't see how calling it Skyrim with slightly better combat is an insult or me stating I dislike the game.

Also, I MISSED $6 FARM SIMULATOR :(

What first scene are you talking about? The assassination? When you get out of your jail cell?

#5005 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

What first scene are you talking about? The assassination? When you get out of your jail cell?

SPOILER ALERT!!! Nah, just kiddin'. ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#5006 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

You can just stand there and block incoming attacks. You actually can get through the scene that way (although it's kind of illogical).

Didn't know that, but that is completely illogical. Also, a lot of the tutorial is for weapons/kills. I don't mind stealth, but I prefer logical stealth. Not illogical stealth for the sake of it.

#5007 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think this is all a matter more so of modern games have trained people nowadays doing so much hand holding and being so straight forward that when one comes out that really lets you go about your goal as you wish, most don't even realize they can do something other then what is immediately obvious and just do it as that is what we have become accustomed to in games now.

#5008 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

So, I played the Retro City Rampage demo on Vita earlier. I don't know why I thought this game would be good. Maybe I'm just burned out on the faux retro thing. It felt like a poor man's GTA: Chinatown Wars.

Hand__Of__God.png

#5009 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Off topic, but I saw this at another forum I go to and I thought of you Fox.
Talk about a bad taxidermy
Posted Image

#5010 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

I think this is all a matter more so of modern games have trained people nowadays doing so much hand holding and being so straight forward that when one comes out that really lets you go about your goal as you wish, most don't even realize they can do something other then what is immediately obvious and just do it as that is what we have become accustomed to in games now.

I think this a poor excuse for game play that could be better. If there is only one "right" way to play a game then this "choice" of playing it however you want is just an illusion. We're not talking about a game that just drops you off with no clue on what to do. The game starts out specifically tutoring you on weapons and weapon use. So they do hold hands, but we're supposed to do the opposite of what they teach us? In fact, I felt the stealth was minimal in the tutorial. I think the game could have just been designed better to highlight the benefits/importance of stealth. As it is, it just feels like you are given a "choice" but not really.

So, I played the Retro City Rampage demo on Vita earlier. I don't know why I thought this game would be good. Maybe I'm just burned out on the faux retro thing. It felt like a poor man's GTA: Chinatown Wars.

I loved Chinatown Wars, but these retro games seem awful. There is another one with like chickens and owls and shit taking place in miami that looks pretty bad.