Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#5491 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

Dunno about Political Machine. Maybe for $2.50 but even then, the first still seems like the best.

Ether Vapor Remaster and Fairy Bloom Freesia are interesting looking. Anybody tried those?

Never played Viking on consoles. Was it good?
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#5492 warboss zorbag

warboss zorbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

Viking was a really ghetto version of God of War.
Very repetitive hack and slash with no enemy variety.

#5493 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

Dunno about Political Machine. Maybe for $2.50 but even then, the first still seems like the best.

Ether Vapor Remaster and Fairy Bloom Freesia are interesting looking. Anybody tried those?

Never played Viking on consoles. Was it good?

I played it a few years ago, but I remember it being a solid spectacle fighter. Wasn't straight action either, had some stealth areas. I enjoyed it enough to plan on picking it up sometime as long as it isn't a bad port.

Now I'm just wondering why it's in the Total War pack.

#5494 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

Viking was a really ghetto version of God of War.
Very repetitive hack and slash with no enemy variety.

I said this earlier in the thread. The game didn't really need a graphics update, but some more variety. Besides the lack of variety and minimal story every else the game offers is quite good. I mean I quite liked the combat however, the 12ish pure hours of it wasn't really to my liking.

I would say to wait for a sale on it. It is good and quite fun, but it isn't something that needs to played nor something at this very moment. Although I would at almost any discount it would be a good price to pick it up for.

#5495 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

If this game required me to roll back to 18-month-old drivers, scour the Steam forums for a custom .ini to make it work on 64-bit Windows, and crashed every 8 minutes it would probably still make me less frustrated and angry than real world politics.

:applause::applause::applause:

#5496 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Well, again, a LOT of people disagree with me.

I was going to disagree with you on the principle of defending a series I like a little better than you do, but then you said something completely sensible...

What you CAN do with that saved money is just buy SS:TSE. Get classic for $2.50. It's still such a nice looking game that the HD remake is kinda superfluous, though you won't go wrong getting the newer edition for $5.

76561197971332172.png

#5497 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

Probably anyone who wants one has it, but here goes:
Posted Image

Workin on it

#5498 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

I just got a Primal Carnage Beta key :) So excited to try this one out and see if it is better than Orion.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#5499 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

I just got a Primal Carnage Beta key :) So excited to try this one out and see if it is better than Orion.

It clearly won't be better than Dino D-Day.
Posted Image

#5500 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:46 AM

I just started Darksiders II. Am I correct in thinking I should just play it with a controller? I'm already annoyed that I can't just click on something like "Back" to go back but actually have to hit the ESC key.

#5501 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

I just started Darksiders II. Am I correct in thinking I should just play it with a controller? I'm already annoyed that I can't just click on something like "Back" to go back but actually have to hit the ESC key.

If you have a controller you should use it. I have no idea how some games can be played without one. Then again I'm coming from many many years of console gaming to PC gaming so it feels natural to me. I even play FPS games with a controller.

#5502 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

I'm the opposite in that I'm so used to KB+M that I resist using a controller even when I should. But I think this is an occasion where I definitely should.

#5503 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

My final opinion on XCOM and Dishonored, if anyone is interested.

Dishonored isn't great. It's workmanlike. It delivers a lot of what it promises but what it delivers just doesn't reach the quality of the greats of the genre. (And what genre it is is almost as much a question in and of itself, depending on how you divide the line between Thief and Deus Ex.) A lot of people earned their paychecks and delivered a pretty good game but this is not going to go in the history books, at least not any I'd write.

XCOM, however, is great. Looking at all the design changes between the new game and the old, you can't at least whistle in respect at what sort of philosophy animated this game. They took risks and it all paid off so beautifully into something I will say surpasses the original, at least in pure fun, even if it prunes, almost by necessity, some of the original's more chaotic elements.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#5504 kraken613

kraken613

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

How do I get an invite to the CAG Steam group?

#5505 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

How do I get an invite to the CAG Steam group?

click on my sig.
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#5506 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

Why would you play a PC FPS with a controller? Like the whole point of PC gaming is using the superior bar of soap!

Darksiders PC port was the same way. Best played with a controller unfortunately. Most of the PC ports seem to be doing more and more of this considering the 360 controller is damn near considered the prevalent PC game pad. Less time wasted I suppose.

76561198014930049.png

#5507 gnargnargnar

gnargnargnar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

I'm the opposite in that I'm so used to KB+M that I resist using a controller even when I should. But I think this is an occasion where I definitely should.

Melee based 3rd person action/platforming games (Assassin's Creed, Amalur, Darksiders, Prince of Persia, etc) and driving games get the controller treatment from me pretty much automatically. I try to use KB+M for most other things, and for any 3rd person games with aimed shooting, but a 360 pad on my PC is priceless at times.

#5508 krevee

krevee

Missed The Boat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

Why would you play a PC FPS with a controller? Like the whole point of PC gaming is using the superior bar of soap!

Darksiders PC port was the same way. Best played with a controller unfortunately. Most of the PC ports seem to be doing more and more of this considering the 360 controller is damn near considered the prevalent PC game pad. Less time wasted I suppose.

If I'm not playing multiplayer on the PC I will most likely use a gamepad when playing. I have my PC hooked up to a TV and I like to lean back and relax while I play not sit over my desk. I am nearly is good with a gamepad as with KB/M. I like that there is more gamepad support, I think some genres are better generally with gamepad while others KB/M and I its nice to have choice. I don't understand why people seem to balk at having a choice in how they play.

Edit: Also I need more people to play borderlands with so feel free to add me on steam everyone :)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/krevee
Posted Image

#5509 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

I played it with a KB/M with no problems whatsoever and felt it controlled perfectly fine. Funny, I hit ESC for cancel/back/etc for nearly anything in any game and get pissed off beyond belief when that doesn't work heh. Quicker and easier to hit the key then to twitch my hand for a moment.

#5510 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

To me it depends on the game. Some games are just made for controller. Choplifter HD was a bit clunky with KB/M, but the controller made it funner. There is still bad button placement on it though that makes it hard to speed and shoot at the same time.

Mafia doesn't have native controller support I don't think, but any action sandbox type game is made for controller IMO.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#5511 Killbomb

Killbomb

Waiting for Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

If I'm not playing multiplayer on the PC I will most likely use a gamepad when playing. I have my PC hooked up to a TV and I like to lean back and relax while I play not sit over my desk. I am nearly is good with a gamepad as with KB/M. I like that there is more gamepad support, I think some genres are better generally with gamepad while others KB/M and I its nice to have choice. I don't understand why people seem to balk at having a choice in how they play.

I don't have my PC hooked up to a TV but I like to sit back in my computer chair and relax with a gamepad. The only genres where I really prefer KB/M are APRGs (Diablo, Torchlight), MMOs and certain RPGs (Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age I, etc.) Don't really play RTS but KB/M is clearly the better choice there as well. If I plan on playing an FPS game online, I will get it for consoles so I can have my preferred controls and not be at a disadvantage against KB/M users.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5512 kidrocklive

kidrocklive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I for one grew up using a gamepad for a FPS as I didn't get into playing them on pc til I was older and my first PC gaming experiences were C&C and Diablo series. So therefore, I don't like using a keyboard and mouse for FPS. If I am able I use a gamepad.

#5513 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

My final opinion on XCOM and Dishonored, if anyone is interested.

Dishonored isn't great. It's workmanlike. It delivers a lot of what it promises but what it delivers just doesn't reach the quality of the greats of the genre. (And what genre it is is almost as much a question in and of itself, depending on how you divide the line between Thief and Deus Ex.) A lot of people earned their paychecks and delivered a pretty good game but this is not going to go in the history books, at least not any I'd write.

XCOM, however, is great. Looking at all the design changes between the new game and the old, you can't at least whistle in respect at what sort of philosophy animated this game. They took risks and it all paid off so beautifully into something I will say surpasses the original, at least in pure fun, even if it prunes, almost by necessity, some of the original's more chaotic elements.

I actually agree 100% here. Dishonored delivers on what it promises but it's just not as good as the games it tries to be. XCOM is fantastic, and with ironman mode, it just makes the game so much more intense.

Also noticed a new game up, Fairy Bloom Freesia. Looks like a 2D brawler from Japan, published by Capcom. Gonna throw that on the wishlist.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#5514 AutoXman

AutoXman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Probably anyone who wants one has it, but here goes:
Posted Image

Thank you, I have been trying to get a key for this forever! :applause:

#5515 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Some hints on the upcoming IG10:

IndieGala ‏@IndieGala I know what you want... feelin' like Clint Eastwood in a Sergio Leone's movie... ;-)

Would you like to play as a Roman General ? Or would you prefer, instead, to wipe out an entire city?

#5516 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Some hints on the upcoming IG10:

Lead and Gold? I woulda said call of Juarez I just don't think they're getting any ubi titles in their bundles.

#5517 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Lead and Gold? I woulda said call of Juarez I just don't think they're getting any ubi titles in their bundles.

Obviously they're going to debut the PC port of Red Dead Redemption.

Posted Image

#5518 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

A little something I wrote:

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken impressions

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#5519 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Obviously they're going to debut the PC port of Red Dead Redemption.

Posted Image

I wish red dead would come to pc.

Maybe it's desperadoes 2 or hellderado?

#5520 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Keep in mind nine (so probably all but one or so) have Steam keys so it limits the field a bit.