Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#5731 spuffin

spuffin

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

If I am not mistaken they patched the game due to people performing those exact shenanigans.

I can assure you this is not the case. They patched out the editing of a single file a while back but this method is still very much valid.

#5732 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

If you have a controller, I'd recommend using it. The combat feels more natural (IMO) using a gamepad. But then again, I do most of my PC gaming with a controller. KBM only feels natural for FPS and RTS to me.

Speaking of, I finished Sleepy Dogs yesterday and had a blast with it. Looked fantastic, and I really dug the setting, atmosphere, and combat. I also started and finished Spec Ops: The Line, which was also very good. That game has some fantastic art direction. I love the visual design of the settings. The plot wasn't bad either, and was fairly compelling, but the twist was disappointing. Just the right length as well; any longer and it would start outstaying its welcome.

Now I just have to figure out what to play next...

I hate using controllers for PC games. I was alright at hand to hand(spam right click, win), just gets tedious after a while

The thing that really pissed me off was that left and right wasnt strafe left and right, its walk left and right. I hate the game acting like Im using a damn analogue stick
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#5733 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

I hate using controllers for PC games. I was alright at hand to hand(spam right click, win), just gets tedious after a while

The thing that really pissed me off was that left and right wasnt strafe left and right, its walk left and right. I hate the game acting like Im using a damn analogue stick

I can imagine using a KB/M for Sleeping Dogs. Even the thought of having to right click during the melee is frustrating!

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#5734 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

If you have a controller, I'd recommend using it. The combat feels more natural (IMO) using a gamepad. But then again, I do most of my PC gaming with a controller. KBM only feels natural for FPS and RTS to me.

Speaking of, I finished Sleepy Dogs yesterday and had a blast with it. Looked fantastic, and I really dug the setting, atmosphere, and combat. I also started and finished Spec Ops: The Line, which was also very good. That game has some fantastic art direction. I love the visual design of the settings. The plot wasn't bad either, and was fairly compelling, but the twist was disappointing. Just the right length as well; any longer and it would start outstaying its welcome.

Now I just have to figure out what to play next...

I finished it and BF3 (campaign) this weekend as well and sleeping dog's is by far easier with a controller (used Dualshock 3 as a 360 controller with MotionJoy). Anyways there was a twist in sleeping dogs???

The last guy you directly put in jail didn't surprise me at all considering what he said to Wei maybe a day or two before. Not to mention earlier actions of his in the game. That said the melee with a controller is good and the graphics are fantastic. played it maxed out with medium AA @ 1080p with its high res texture pack.

now its on to getting past the first two levels of Des Ex:HR. Always found it a bit boring.
Waddles From Gravity Falls is best pony!

#5735 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

snip

You should probably use spoiler tags for any plot related info from the game.

I don't understand how anyone can have such disdain for controllers on pc games. I think it's a "oh noes, controllers are for console peasants, I'm to 1337 for that," perception thing. Some games just play better with a controller.

Edited by Preedatore, 21 October 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#5736 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Only use Twitter/FB for music networking now. & talking about basketball.

& I prefer controller for everything especially if its 1st person.
But KB/M for RTS/Strategy/point'n'click. it doesn't make sense to use a controller for those obviously lol.

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#5737 lwhitit

lwhitit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

now its on to getting past the first two levels of Des Ex:HR. Always found it a bit boring.

Keep going, it gets better. I am replaying it on pc just for the graphic bump (and to play it differently). also to drive everyone here nutz i am playing that with a controller 2.

Edited by lwhitit, 22 October 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#5738 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

I don't understand how anyone can have such disdain for controllers on pc games. I think it's a "oh noes, controllers are for console peasants, I'm to 1337 for that," perception thing. Some games just play better with a controller.

'Better' is relative. Depends what you grew up playing/using. And, yes, I am a M+K elitist for life! That said, there are games I recognize that are pretty much designed for consoles and obviously play better with their 'native' input device. Of course, I rarely have any interest in those games in the first place.

#5739 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

You won't catch me playing MK series, SF series w/ a KB/mouse. Skip that madness!
Controller for brawler.

Also - I prefer controller for most sports games; racing games; & games w/ LOTS of platforming (Tomb Raider series, Psychonauts, AC series).

For shooters (FPS's, TPS's) and many kind of RPG's - mouse/keyboard for me.

#5740 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

You won't catch me playing MK series, SF series w/ a KB/mouse. Skip that madness!
Controller for brawler.

Also - I prefer controller for most sports games; racing games; & games w/ LOTS of platforming (Tomb Raider series, Psychonauts, AC series).

For shooters (FPS's, TPS's) and many kind of RPG's - mouse/keyboard for me.

I'm the same way.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5741 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

You should probably use spoiler tags for any plot related info from the game.

"better" is your opinion
I grew up playing mk on kb and thats what I still like however I havent played a MK game in ages

The only recent game I played on controller was KOA because the camera was absolutely horrible for kb/m
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#5742 Jokerkun890

Jokerkun890

Jokerness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

Without playing semantics, I think you're bothing taking what he said out of context. Especially because you both pretty much agreed with him (in the bolded below):

"better" is your opinion
I grew up playing mk on kb and thats what I still like however I havent played a MK game in ages

The only recent game I played on controller was KOA because the camera was absolutely horrible for kb/m

'Better' is relative. [...] That said, there are games I recognize that are pretty much designed for consoles and obviously play better with their 'native' input device. [...]

Preedatore simply said some games play better with a controller. Which you both agreed with... After disagreeing.

Just my 2-cents. :P

jokerkun890.png

joker-kun890.png

#5743 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

'Better' is relative. Depends what you grew up playing/using. And, yes, I am a M+K elitist for life! That said, there are games I recognize that are pretty much designed for consoles and obviously play better with their 'native' input device. Of course, I rarely have any interest in those games in the first place.

I think I first played Wolfenstein 3D about when it was released with a Gravis Gamepad.

I don't think I did so for long.

#5744 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

"better" is your opinion

Renegade Ops told me just yesterday that it's better with a controller, so it must be true. In all seriousness, I can understand being more comfortable using one or the other, but I don't understand ignoring an option that may improve the game experience just because..

And in the interest in bad analogies, since we can't have a forum without them: I like to use caviar as a topping. These tortilla chips don't taste very good with caviar on them. Even though I have nacho cheese as an option and the chips were designed to better utilize that option, I feel more comfortable with caviar as a topping and will continue to use that.

#5745 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

It seems like your opinion has been skewed by elitist NeoGAF users. I play both PC and console games, and I've found that there are certainly some games that work better with a controller and some that work better with a mouse and keyboard; the difference between the two, for me at least, is usually how many hotkeys and button combinations are required in the game. For example, Hydrophobia Prophecy and Assassin's Creed are much better using a controller because they're meant for fast-paced, fluid gameplay and feature little inventory management and intuitive shoulder controls. And in contrast, Torchlight, Diablo, and StarCraft were all more intuitive with a mouse and keyboard because they had you cycling weapons, swapping and upgrading armor, opening skill trees, mapping 8-10 customizable skills, and a myriad of other convoluted configurations that would be burdensome to remember on a controller. There is merit to each, but I'd rather press "1" to cast Cure than LT+Down Arrow+B.

As for the choice of switching between the two: some people just aren't dedicated enough to buy a controller/USB extender and download Joy2Key just to use it when nearly every PC game is still passable with the initial mouse and keyboard setup. Developers aren't trying to make their games suck when they create the control scheme...

#5746 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

"better" is your opinion

Right, these arguments are silly, because this stuff is completely up to personal preference.

I, for instance, use a 1-button Suncom "Slik Stik" joystick to play everything. None of this trendy "mouse" nonsense.

#5747 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

Right, these arguments are silly, because this stuff is completely up to personal preference.

I, for instance, use a 1-button Suncom "Slik Stik" joystick to play everything. None of this trendy "mouse" nonsense.

Thank the gods! I was getting afraid of outing myself as a trackball user.

I would wager that few of the KB/M die-hards are avid fanatics of genres that inherently don't map well to KB/M, such as driving games (analog steering, gas, & brake), fighting games, flight sims.

#5748 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

I use a Kinect for every game. I play while wearing a lime green bodysock or naked. Anyone who games any other way is silly and/or stupid.

76561198026637637.png

#5749 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

So its that time of the month again where people debate about controllers eh? ;)

#5750 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

So its that time of the month again where people debate about controllers eh? ;)

Yeah someone needs to change this up and turn into into a steam vs drm free debate.

#5751 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

It's cause they haven't ponied up for a neural jack.

I use a Kinect for every game. I play while wearing a lime green bodysock or naked. Anyone who games any other way is silly and/or stupid.

Nooo! Not lime green. I look terrible in lime green.

#5752 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

You want a truly bad playing experience try using a laptop mousepad thing with a FPS....

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#5753 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

Yeah someone needs to change this up and turn into into a steam vs drm free debate.

I don't know...that seems like it's been done to death as well. Let's debate something important. I'm drinking some Octoberfest while I play tonight. Anyone drinking anything else is doing it wrong.

#5754 Bios Element

Bios Element

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:54 AM

You want a truly bad playing experience try using a laptop mousepad thing with a FPS....

Done it. It gives you amazing bragging rights.
Looking for a friendly little gaming community? You should check out BiosHub! We play a little bit of everything, from Natural Selection 2 and PlanetSide 2 to Guild Wars 2 and AI Wars. - http://bioshub.com/

#5755 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

maybe it's because the Steam Daily Deal is another recycled Indie Royale bundle game.
I beat Obama on PM 2012, does that make me president now?
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#5756 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

Has anyone posted about the free $5 from Gametap for filling out a survey? Go here and answer 107 questions (the first 50 are essentially the same question, which is annoying) and within 72 hours you'll receive a $5 voucher. They have many SteamWorks games, including Skyrim's Hearthfire DLC, Magicka: Vietnam, and some Civ V DLC. Also can be used on games, if you know, you want to spend money... ;)

Did anyone actually get their voucher? I just remembered this and it's three days later but no reward for my button mashing :cry:

#5757 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

I think the last FPS I played with KB/M was SW: Republic Commando lol. Adapted to the controller over time from console gaming. & now I'm strictly PC again, funny how that works.

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#5758 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

I was going to go with the defend RollingSkull's freedom of speech standby.

A classic.

#5759 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Did it for a few of the quick christmas coal achievements. Never again.

#5760 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Did anyone actually get their voucher? I just remembered this and it's three days later but no reward for my button mashing :cry:

I never got mine either. I declare fraud. Since when was gametap turned into gametap-store.com anyways?

maybe it's because the Steam Daily Deal is another recycled Indie Royale bundle game.
I beat Obama on PM 2012, does that make me president now?

This reminds me I need to fit a session of this in between sleeping dogs.