Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#5941 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Updated the OP with the majority of the deals that are currently running, hope somebody uses it! =P

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#5942 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Anybody know what deals are currently running?

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#5943 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Looks like the original Doom 3 version has been taken off the store and replaced with the more expensive, BFG edition.

#5944 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

We just got word from Tony of Amazon DVG on Dark Souls PTD....!

FYI $20 Dark Souls Starts Sunday.

Cheers,
Tony

#5945 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Anybody know what deals are currently running?

Not sure

Posted Image

#5946 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Looks like the original Doom 3 version has been taken off the store and replaced with the more expensive, BFG edition.

Yeah, that news been making the rounds on major gaming website for news.
Only way to get Doom 3 [Original] + Doom 3: ROE [Original] from Steam is through the Id Super Pack ($100).

#5947 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Was it Dark Souls that people said was a terrible, shameful port? Or Darksiders II? I know it was one of them Dark-somethin's.

Edit: Looks like it was Dark Souls, judging from Google.

#5948 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Was it Dark Souls that people said was a terrible, shameful port? Or Darksiders II? I know it was one of them Dark-somethin's.

Dark Souls, the dev had no experience with the PC. In fact, I heard that they thought people used actual live mice and cardboard with keys poked through it to access the internet and play PC games.

#5949 Umair56

Umair56

CHINA DON'T CARE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

American Nightmare is overpriced wherever you go. It's one of those games where you get locked in a time loop and end up replaying the same few levels repeatedly while fulfilling different objectives, which is a nice marketing ploy to artificially increase the length of a game when you haven't produced enough game content. Mine was free, but I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it; it's disappointing in nearly every aspect in comparison to the first game.

Also, it's Gamestop.

It was also $3.75 somewhere. I can't remember where it was but I know I bought it for $3.75 and steamprices.com can confirm.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/umair56
Umair56 on Origin, PSN, Battle.net, etc etc

#5950 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

BOTH were slammed by many PC gamers b/c of their lack of PC features.

Dark Souls is supposed to REALLY take the cake, out-the-box (unmodded).
Many consider Dark Souls PC as 1 of the worst ports of all times b/c of flat-out laziness (locked at 1024x768 resolution; locked at 30 FPS; controller pretty much required to play it)....

Personally, I think Bully PC is the worst port I ever seen - b/c it just can be HELL just get running right. My Win XP would never run it (patched or unpatched), but Win 7 PC had NO PROBLEMS running it (patched).
I'll be able to see what I think of Dark Souls PC, once it goes on sale.

Durante's DSFix Mod has fixed most of people's Dark Souls PC concerns, though - namely w/ unlocking the resolution to...whatever you want.
Might wanna NOT use frame-unlocker feature or any program disabling G4WL when playing online - as that could cause a G4WL suspension/ban.

Edited by MysterD, 24 October 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#5951 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

BOTH were slammed by many PC gamers b/c of their lack of PC features.

Dark Souls is supposed to REALLY take the cake, out-the-box (unmodded).
Many consider Dark Souls PC as 1 of the worst ports of all times b/c of flat-out laziness (locked at 1024x768 resolution; locked at 30 FPS; controller pretty much required to play it)....

Personally, I think Bully PC is the worst port I ever seen - b/c it just can be HELL just get running right. My Win XP would never run it (patched or unpatched), but Win 7 PC had NO PROBLEMS running it (patched).

Durante's DSFix Mod has fixed most of people's Dark Souls PC concerns, though.

Weird. Bully ran without problems for me on PC back in the day (retail, $5) on my WinXP, X2-3800, 7900GT rig.

I wonder if popular verdict places the PC Port of Dark Souls worse than the PC Port of Saints Row 2.

#5952 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

DS was the signature bad port, but D2 was very shoddy in its own right. It only had two options for display, resolution and shadows, I think. The menus are console res. And you can't click on the map to fast travel you have to scroll a retilce over the target destination.

#5953 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Some cheesy review site, ign maybe, reviewed DS:PTD including Durante's mod! They praised the sharper visuals and gave the game review scores as if the patch was part of the vanilla game. SMH

#5954 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

Supposedly ID is working to get the original version back up for purchase.

#5955 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Looks like we're headed for a free weekend of Left 4 Dead, the Dev team just announced it on Twitter.

Source - somewhere on Twitter

Edit: linky-woo

#5956 GamingKnight

GamingKnight

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Bah! Steam keeps removing the items from my shopping cart. I'm assuming this is a problem with the update from today. Anyone else getting this issue? Near as I can figure it's around when I'm putting the 5th or 6th item in the cart that it does this.

#5957 Fire2box

Fire2box

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

The only reasonable deals on there are the Dead Space games and Alice Madness Returns for $5 each. I didn't see any good deals on Steam games.

Metro 2033 seems like a good deal for 4.99.
Waddles From Gravity Falls is best pony!

#5958 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

How is AvP?

Obviously nobody is playing MP anymore, but I'm more interested in the campaign. Any good for $3.75?

I think it's worth it, especially if you like the movies. There are a lot of small details that I like about the game, like how the sound effects for the alien screams and pulse rifle shots sound straight out of the movies.

#5959 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

I wonder when the Halloween sale will start. It started last year on the 27th, which was the Thursday before Halloween. Tomorrow will be the equivalent day. I recall there being a sale at least the past 2-3 years.

#5960 earvcunanan

earvcunanan

I'm cool.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

This will be my first Steam Halloween sale. Have they generally been pretty good the past few years?

#5961 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Dark Souls port was bad mainly because of the internal rendering issue. But thanks to this mod the game now looks amazing rendered at high res.

The one word of warning I will give for DS for the PC is, the m/kb controls are pretty bad for it, one of the very few games I actually use a controller for on the PC.

#5962 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

This will be my first Steam Halloween sale. Have they generally been pretty good the past few years?

Not really, Steam's Halloween sale isn't really special, at least with the 2 previous years. Basically just a few days/week of horror/scary type games being on sale at a fix % off price with no special daily deal.

#5963 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

How is AvP?

Obviously nobody is playing MP anymore, but I'm more interested in the campaign. Any good for $3.75?

I liked it but then again I liked the old games and it's a lot like them. Story? Eh. MP? Eh. Three different styles of gameplay and some fun mechanics? Yup. If that's worth 3.75 go for it.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#5964 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

List of last year:

http://www.vc-forums...ct-27-31-a.html

#5965 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

There is a plus in that a lot of the horror-themed games that go on sale are priced lower than in the summer/winter sales. The selection isn't the best, but the prices are pretty good.

#5966 earvcunanan

earvcunanan

I'm cool.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Not really, Steam's Halloween sale isn't really special, at least with the 2 previous years. Basically just a few days/week of horror/scary type games being on sale at a fix % off price with no special daily deal.

Is there a big Steam sale before the year is over?

#5967 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Is there a big Steam sale before the year is over?

I'm not sure if this is a joke...
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#5968 earvcunanan

earvcunanan

I'm cool.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm not sure if this is a joke...

I'm not joking.

I built my gaming PC last month, so I just started on my Steam library. I've purchased the majority of my games via GMG and Amazon DD thus far. I'm still not that familiar with whatever sales Steam has throughout the year aside from the Summer and this supposed Halloween sale.

#5969 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

I'm not joking.

I built my gaming PC last month, so I just started on my Steam library. I've purchased the majority of my games via GMG and Amazon DD thus far. I'm still not that familiar with whatever sales Steam has throughout the year aside from the Summer and this supposed Halloween sale.

The biggest sale of the year is the Winter sale that will be at the end of December/beginning of January. Lasts about 10 days.

#5970 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm not joking.

My suggestion since you are just getting started is to look at steams big bundles, pick one or two, save for the winter sale, and buy them. During the winter sale those bundles can go for outrageous prices. I piecemealed it which is fine but not the cheapest way. With some googling you can find the sales from last year.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. I found this http://compsimgames....y-Sale-2011.htm