Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#31 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Anyways, I've put an hour into Sleeping Dogs before I went to work this morning. Runs really well (using hi-res texture & forced AA/AS, however I have a high-end system), but really hits my video card and the fans get rather loud. Not even Skyrim on Ultra with a ton of visual mods hits it as hard.

Liking what I'm playing and it seems to be a more focused GTA with some Yakuza in it. However, I think I'm going to need to try out a controller. Keyboard and mouse is a tad on the difficult side to control when it comes to sprinting (chases) and driving.

That was V4-2, it doesn't count.

I can't say I didn't see that coming in some form or another. Though given this being a Steam thread, Episode 1 or 2 would have been more fitting.

#32 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

:whee: Has that new thread smell, any guess how long it will take for V6?

Haha I was wondering the same thing!

Cheapy said that the new format would allow us to have larger threads no problems so I feel like we should test the waters with this version and see how big the serves can handle now.

#33 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

You forgot
*Do you have a fetish for handicapped women?

Will the handicapped women DLC be in the Skyrim GOTY edition during the winter sale?

#34 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hooray, new thread. Thanks, eastx and shrike. :D

Never thank a mod.

Even if he's just pulled your son out of a burning building, you're obligated to glare at him as he hands you your son.

57j.gif

#35 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Will the handicapped women DLC be in the Skyrim GOTY edition during the winter sale?

I don't know but I just want to say that just because one has a preference for Akaviri women it does not make one a fetishist.

It does, however, make one a necromancer since that race has long since died out. It would also be rather difficult to find such a corpse since they've apparently all been eaten by snake people.

(sorry, total Elder Scrolls lore nerd inside joke here)

steam_sig.png

#36 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

I just noticed Tower Wars is releasing in a few hours. http://store.steampo...com/app/214360/

It's supposed to be $9.99 with a 10% discount at launch. Looks kind of interesting. Did anyone get in on the beta?

Thanks for the video, know now to pass on it. Multiplayer focused tower defense seems like a really weird niche. I guess main thing will be how active the game is and how easy it is to find a game in it.

Also in celebration of the new thread, Corgi in a water park!

Posted Image

#37 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Another thread already?

• When does the Winter Sale start?
  • Should I buy Skyrim now, or will it be cheaper?
  • Is SecurROM safe?
  • When will King's Quest Collection go on sale?
  • When will Magicka go on sale?
  • If I buy Steam: The Complete Pack, will the games I already own go into my inventory?
  • When will Final Fantasy IX come to steam?
  • Doesn't anyeveryone like Doctor Who?

There, fixed it for you! ;)

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#38 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Tower Wars looks really good I think...

#39 ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

Obsidian FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Never thank a mod.

Even if he's just pulled your son out of a burning building, you're obligated to glare at him as he hands you your son.

Sounds kind of like that Stare Dad meme to me. :lol:

Spoiler

Does participating in the Counterstrike: GO Beta give any tangible benefits? I've seen a crap ton of Beta invites on Steamgifts, so I was just wondering if people are just extremely desperate to play/get rid of some CS a week in advance or is there an actual purpose/reason to enter these last minute giveaways?

jybOVvmATuEqX.png

Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! Join us in our quest or donate. :D LINK

Current Contest/Giveaway: 

Donate to Extra Life & win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies!

#40 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

I have a fetish, it's called no steam no sale. I only find steam games attractive. Think of me what you will but your drm free games just don't do it for me. Origin is a cruel mistress through. So I do stray from my fetish but it's mainly so I think of myself as normal.

#41 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

I don't know but I just want to say that just because one has a preference for Akaviri women it does not make one a fetishist.

It does, however, make one a necromancer since that race has long since died out. It would also be rather difficult to find such a corpse since they've apparently all been eaten by snake people.

(sorry, total Elder Scrolls lore nerd inside joke here)

So I've never played an Elder Scolls game. Thanks to Draekon, I now own Skyrim, and am looking forward to playing it. However, I love games with deep lore, and from what I've heard, Elder Scrolls has that in spades. Is there a good online resource for delving into the depths of the series, that's fairly newbie friendly and easy to navigate?

Thanks.

#42 SkullTheTroll

SkullTheTroll

Virtual Adventurer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

On the topic of Steams new community features. I really would like the ability to add a personal tag to my friends so i can keep track of who they are. Not that I have so many, but more that I have a really bad memory.:whee:

#43 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Anyways, I've put an hour into Sleeping Dogs before I went to work this morning. Runs really well (using hi-res texture & forced AA/AS, however I have a high-end system), but really hits my video card and the fans get rather loud. Not even Skyrim on Ultra with a ton of visual mods hits it as hard.

Liking what I'm playing and it seems to be a more focused GTA with some Yakuza in it. However, I think I'm going to need to try out a controller. Keyboard and mouse is a tad on the difficult side to control when it comes to sprinting (chases) and driving.

A lot of reviews are saying the hand to hand combat system is similar to Batman Arkham Asylum/City. Does that comparison ring true to you? I absolutely loved the combat in the Batman games, and I wonder what it would be like in a true sandbox. Yakuza had some pretty good hand to hand combat in a somewhat sandbox style world, but Sleeping Dogs seems more fleshed out...

What video card do you have? If hi-res textures push your high end system that hard, do you think would a Radeon HD 7850 be able to handle them?
Posted Image

#44 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

So I've never played an Elder Scolls game. Thanks to Draekon, I now own Skyrim, and am looking forward to playing it. However, I love games with deep lore, and from what I've heard, Elder Scrolls has that in spades. Is there a good online resource for delving into the depths of the series, that's fairly newbie friendly and easy to navigate?

Thanks.

Start here. This is the timeline for Elder Scrolls. The wiki is linked and you can click into things that snag your attention.

http://elderscrolls....m/wiki/Timeline

Edit: Make sure you take a deep breath before going to that page. It's ok not to be able to absorb it all at once. And you can fully enjoy each ES title as a standalone with no history. That timeline can really put people off.

#45 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

What a nice new thread. I have to say, as a Tower Defense fan, I'm thrilled that games like Tower Wars and Iron Brigade are making their way to Steam!

Defense Grid remains my favorite, with Revenge of the Titans being at the other end of the list. (That's, of course, my own opinion.) Plus, I haven't even tried Toy Soldiers or Sol Survivor yet, so at least I have some other games to work on while waiting for the aforementioned titles to go on sale. (Not to mention the "Inclusion in a Bundle" likelihood.)

It's a nice time to be a Tower Defense fan, I'd say.

#46 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

What a nice new thread. I have to say, as a Tower Defense fan, I'm thrilled that games like Tower Wars and Iron Brigade are making their way to Steam!

Defense Grid remains my favorite, with Revenge of the Titans being at the other end of the list. (That's, of course, my own opinion.) Plus, I haven't even tried Toy Soldiers or Sol Survivor yet, so at least I have some other games to work on while waiting for the aforementioned titles to go on sale. (Not to mention the "Inclusion in a Bundle" likelihood.)

It's a nice time to be a Tower Defense fan, I'd say.

I really liked Sol Survivor and you probably will too if you like Defense Grid. DG is the better game by far, but that doesn't mean SS is bad. SS is more your typical tower defense game, point A to B, no cores. But it very much is styled like DG and the towers and such are pretty fun.

#47 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

A lot of reviews are saying the hand to hand combat system is similar to Batman Arkham Asylum/City. Does that comparison ring true to you? I absolutely loved the combat in the Batman games, and I wonder what it would be like in a true sandbox. Yakuza had some pretty good hand to hand combat in a somewhat sandbox style world, but Sleeping Dogs seems more fleshed out...

What video card do you have? If hi-res textures push your high end system that hard, do you think would a Radeon HD 7850 be able to handle them?

I have a 7950. The frame rate I get dips as low as 40FPS when I used the benchmark after setting my options to max. Keep in mind this includes very high forced AA and AS. A 7850 should be able to handle it, but I couldn't say for sure if you could pump up forced AA/AS to very high levels. I was kind of surprised since I idle at around 30-40C on my video card and it was hitting at least 70C in-game with my video card fan blasting at 50% if not more. Though I went windowed mode in the second half because my Google Talk shoved me into windowed mode when I received an email alert through it, which is retarded. I can test more later to see if it's just full screen, my forced settings or hi-res textures.

I never really played enough to Arkham Asylum and haven't touch City to really compare it (I'll play it eventually, just haven't really felt like playing it particularly. Maybe after I see the new movie it'll make me want to). From what I remember playing it on the console though, it's fairly similar. You have a single actual attack button that can be tapped for attack or held for strong attack. Then you have a grapple and counter. When attacking, you can perform combos by using various things such as sprint/grapple/attack/strong attack and then you can also grapple people into environmental objects (fans/soda machines/boxes/etc).

It also have two level systems in place. One being the cops, the other be the triads. Each mission you do, you gain exp for both. However on my last mission I had a car chase and every time you damage property in any way, it lowers your cop score on the mission. Each of the levels have their own tree that they boost and then there are a couple of other things you can level up to, but I'm not far enough to know what they're tied to.

It'd probably be easier for me to record it with some commentary to show you though.

#48 Zipomatic2

Zipomatic2

Really, Really Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

I want to make a post in the new thread.... but I have nothing of interest to say... oh dilemma!!!
Posted Image

If it's not 75% off, or less that $10, I ain't buying it!

#49 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

*snifffffffffffffffffff*

ahhh new thread smell

#50 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

I really liked Sol Survivor and you probably will too if you like Defense Grid. DG is the better game by far, but that doesn't mean SS is bad. SS is more your typical tower defense game, point A to B, no cores. But it very much is styled like DG and the towers and such are pretty fun.

Excellent, excellent; Thanks for the recommendation. I wanted to wait on Toy Soldiers because, currently, the developers are removing the GFWL DRM. (From what I understand, users will be able to choose between the two versions of DRM.)

I have passed several times on Plants vs. Zombies, despite the craze it caused. It may be Tower Defense, but the demo always left me with negative feelings. The most glaring is, of course, the lack of graphical options. Despite getting an HD remake on mobile devices, the PC version has remained relatively hideous. (Relatively.) I like my Tower Defense games, but I feel more effort could have gone into the presentation of Plants vs. Zombies.

I await other CAG's to tell me how crazy I am. To a certain degree, I agree that my reasoning is a bit flawed, but, when it comes to Plants vs. Zombies, I end up "going with my gut." (A rare occurrence, to be sure.)

#51 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

I await other CAG's to tell me how crazy I am. To a certain degree, I agree that my reasoning is a bit flawed, but, when it comes to Plants vs. Zombies, I end up "going with my gut." (A rare occurrence, to be sure.)

Well, you're passing on one of the most addictive games ever.

#52 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

Excellent, excellent; Thanks for the recommendation. I wanted to wait on Toy Soldiers because, currently, the developers are removing the GFWL DRM. (From what I understand, users will be able to choose between the two versions of DRM.)

I have passed several times on Plants vs. Zombies, despite the craze it caused. It may be Tower Defense, but the demo always left me with negative feelings. The most glaring is, of course, the lack of graphical options. Despite getting an HD remake on mobile devices, the PC version has remained relatively hideous. (Relatively.) I like my Tower Defense games, but I feel more effort could have gone into the presentation of Plants vs. Zombies.

Well, my feelings on PvZ is that it is tower defense, but definitely different than DG. I passed on my phone and it was tons of fun, but I have not touched it too much on the PC. It's fun though, great art style, gameplay, etc. Different elements to it too, but I had a blast on the phone so if you have a phone or a tablet I would recommend it there. Another TD phone game I love is Night of the Living Dead Defense (Grave Defense with NOTD theme). Fun little TD game there too. I actually wish that one was available to play on the PC as the later stages are too big for me to navigate on my phone.

#53 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

I completely agree. I caved and bought it last Winter but honestly cannot get hooked because playing it on at 1900x1200 resolution it is just disgusting when compared to DG and others TD games.

#54 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

This is completely normal. I'm sorry that you cannot see us for what we are. There was a paper around 10 years ago that tried to examine why MCR1 mutation (redhead) spread so well since the only advantage it offers is being able to produce vitamin D with less sunlight. It concluded that it must have spread due to sexual attractiveness. France however has far far fewer than neighboring counties -- they burned all of us for being witches. What's wrong with being a witch? ^_~

Posted Image

Also: obligatory shiny new thread post

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#55 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

I completely agree. I caved and bought it last Winter but honestly cannot get hooked because playing it on at 1900x1200 resolution it is just disgusting when compared to DG and others TD games.

Really? I can see it being an issue in a game where visual fidelity is important, but pvz doesnt require that. Plus, it's not so bad that it becomes a distraction. I've been playing Gemini Rue, which is locked at 640x400 I think, in full screen and haven't really even thought about the graphics.

#56 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thanks.

Start here. This is the timeline for Elder Scrolls. The wiki is linked and you can click into things that snag your attention.

Edit: Make sure you take a deep breath before going to that page. It's ok not to be able to absorb it all at once. And you can fully enjoy each ES title as a standalone with no history. That timeline can really put people off.

The timeline is not a bad place to start.

I personally have been using the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages since the Daggerfall days back in the 90s. That's my favorite go to site for Elder Scrolls info.

Also a good source for lore is to simply read the books in the game. A Brief History of the Empire and the Pocket Guide to the Empire should be good ones to start out with. If you don't have the patience to hunt down the multiple volumes of some of the in game books there are also sites you can go to online that have full text of the in-game books.

The Imperial Library is a good one.

Be warned though that some of the in-game books are (intentionally) written with a bias of the (fictional) author so don't always take everything they say as gospel and there may be some in-game books whose accounts completely contradict those of other in-game books regarding the same events.

For just a good all around twisty, turny interesting story I recommend the 2920 series.

steam_sig.png

#57 iSerra

iSerra

With the new day comes new thoughts

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

I posted this on the Gamersgate thread but since some of the crowd here may not check there regularly figured I'd repost here.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI is on sale as a daily on Gamersgate at 66% off for $6.78 ($5.76 with the IGN discount).

It does not Steam activate and in fact Steam doesn't even sell it at all, but I figured it may be of interest to some people who like strategy games. According to Deals4Downloads, the cheapest it has been is this price ($6.78) on December 21, 2010 so doesn't seem like it goes on sale much.

Anyhow, I ended up buying it. I did review well there and I don't think many if any other digital download retailers in the English speaking world sell it. I'll try and give it a quick spin after work later but not sure if I will be able to post thoughts before the daily sale ends since they are on Euro time.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XII was released this year in Japan and could be the last installment. If you are interested in the story of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, then this is a must watch movie.

#58 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Really? I can see it being an issue in a game where visual fidelity is important, but pvz doesnt require that. Plus, it's not so bad that it becomes a distraction. I've been playing Gemini Rue, which is locked at 640x400 I think, in full screen and haven't really even thought about the graphics.

As an artist I am just a stickler for visuals. 9/10 I get lost in the art direction of games and analyze them that way rather than the actual gameplay.

#59 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Thanks.

The timeline is not a bad place to start.

I personally have been using the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages since the Daggerfall days back in the 90s. That's my favorite go to site for Elder Scrolls info.

Also a good source for lore is to simply read the books in the game. A Brief History of the Empire and the Pocket Guide to the Empire should be good ones to start out with. If you don't have the patience to hunt down the multiple volumes of some of the in game books there are also sites you can go to online that have full text of the in-game books.

The Imperial Library is a good one.

Be warned though that some of the in-game books are (intentionally) written with a bias of the (fictional) author so don't always take everything they say as gospel and there may be some in-game books whose accounts completely contradict those of other in-game books regarding the same events.

@INCyr - it's not even that deep man. There's dragons n shit that are loose and they'll turn into vampires if you pay them $20 bucks. You can kill people in their home and steal all their clothes, but steal 1 fucking horse in the middle of the night and you're the antichrist.

#60 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Ah new Steam thread smell.

Having a very frustrating day. Trying to update DayZ but for some reason DayZ Commander and Six Launcher is like lol nope, not gonna update. It downloads the files but it does not update or reverts back for some reason I can't explain. :wall:
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly