Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#6961 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Just one last question, the expansion pack says it requires MTG 2013 so it is not an upgrade like a sports game since it seems to upgrade the 2013 version with even more decks?

Not entirely sure I'm understanding. The 2013 game has different decks than 2012. On top of that, if you want even more new content then you have the option of grabbing the expansions for additional decks. Typically they (the expansions) would also add extra single player content (new matches in single player, or new puzzles <3 ), though the later "expansions" for 2012 were new decks and nothing more. (Looking at the product description, looks like the 2013 expansion does indeed add new scenarios + challenges, etc and not just new decks.)

So yeah. Think of the core games (2011, 2012, 2013) as the incremental sports titles, with the expansions just giving you more on top of that. Does that work as an answer? =S

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#6962 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Is there a reason to purchase "Half Life 2" and then both "Half Life 2: Episode 1" and "Half Life 2" Episode 2"?

I know it should be common knowledge, but I never played them before.

Yeah, that's the order they're played in. Although I don't see why you'd actually pay for Episode 1 ... :lol:

Edited by hollowfreak, 06 November 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#6963 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Is there a reason to purchase "Half Life 2" and then both "Half Life 2: Episode 1" and "Half Life 2" Episode 2"?

I know it should be common knowledge, but I never played them before.

Yes.

Episodes 1 and 2 are standalone games that occur after Half Life 2, each about five hours long.

They're basically expansions, but you don't need to own the base game to play them, of course.

#6964 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Coupon code makes them $1.99 each.

um no. Coupon code makes them 1.60. They are 1.99 without the code.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#6965 NvaderJim

NvaderJim

Game Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Is CS:S worth it with CS:GO out?

#6966 CrimsonTribe

CrimsonTribe

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Question on Magic the Gathering:

I loved the PC game that came out in the late 90's (I think it was just called Magic the Gathering - I played the Duels of the Plainswalkers version). In fact, I still have it installed in my netbook. I'm a little worried that apparently you don't build your deck in the new versions. My favorite part of the old game was collecting the cards and putting together a great deck, then tweaking it based on the color you were fighting.
Does anyone who's played both have comparisons or thoughts on whether the new versions will appeal to players of the old version? For $5 I'll probably pick it up, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Workin on it

#6967 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Is GTA complete worth it? I've heard bad things about the PC port. I got like half way through on 360 and loved it.. I really just want to try the icenhancer 2.0 mod more than anything else but would like to hear a 2nd opinion for those who have played it (and preferably that mod too)

#6968 oscargrouch

oscargrouch

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm gonna hedge and wait on Magic till the thanksgiving sale

#6969 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Re: Magic, while I enjoy the Duels games (I think I've bought all 3 via Steam or XBLA now), you have to know their limit. I can live with only being able to add/subtract cards from pre-made decks and not straight out deck building, because it means everyone is on the same playing field. The one thing I wish they would add it letting you build decks from all the cards that exist in the game, which are still the same cards everyone would have (well, expansions change that I guess). Online MP is pretty fun (2-4 players) but it helps to brush up on new rules.
Posted Image

#6970 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hmm, Steam now has Brazilian pricing :D

#6971 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

anyone want Lead and Gold?
pm me and ill give it to u.
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#6972 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Is GTA complete worth it? I've heard bad things about the PC port. I got like half way through on 360 and loved it.. I really just want to try the icenhancer 2.0 mod more than anything else but would like to hear a 2nd opinion for those who have played it (and preferably that mod too)

GTA4 runs fine now. It was pretty badly optimized for some time. When I tried it again two years after release it had been fixed. It ran just fine @ 1680x150 on a Phenom-II 720BE @ 2.8 GHz with a GTX 260.

I finished the GTA story line and most of the side missions and enjoyed it well enough. It was a long game. The Ballad of Gay Tony is well reputed.

#6973 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

We had the exact same discussion about Planeswalkers 2012, when it went on sale last year, you guys said it never goes on sale. So I bit, only to have it go as a daily at 75% off less than 2 weeks later. Golden Rule=If it ain't 75%, don't get it, besides there should be 2 more expansions coming out. Just wait for the "complete" version....now that I think about it, that's exactly what Steam did! They removed the version I bought from the store to put up the Gold version (included all expansions) at a deeper discount....wait it out, just wait.

Also: the foil conversions are just annoying, you'll regret getting them.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#6974 m6oo

m6oo

Bicycle Repair Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

As others have said earlier, the current Gen of MtG Plainswalker games consist of being able to play the card game against AI or Human opponents using preconstructed decks that can only be tweaked slightly with the substitution of additional cards that can be unlocked as you win matches. You CANNOT build any deck you want from the available cards.

I used to have that old Microprose MtG game too. I wish I hadn't given it away oh so long ago. That game was like a Heroes of Might and Magic that used MtG duels to resolve combat. You buy/earn cards along the way, and you could make any deck out of the cards you had in your inventory without restriction. Etherlords I/II was a very similar game that used a different card game mechanic.

Tempted to get the 2013 version, as I enjoyed the 2012 version quite a bit. If you don't have real people to play with, it can scratch that MtG itch without throwing you into the vast ocean (and money sink) that is MtG Online.

Question on Magic the Gathering:

I loved the PC game that came out in the late 90's (I think it was just called Magic the Gathering - I played the Duels of the Plainswalkers version). In fact, I still have it installed in my netbook. I'm a little worried that apparently you don't build your deck in the new versions. My favorite part of the old game was collecting the cards and putting together a great deck, then tweaking it based on the color you were fighting.
Does anyone who's played both have comparisons or thoughts on whether the new versions will appeal to players of the old version? For $5 I'll probably pick it up, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

#6975 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

So, I went to start up steam today, it did the daily "updating" then crashed. Tried again, crash.
Rebooted, tried again, crash. Deleted clientregistry.blob, tried again, crash.
Reinstalled steam (without uninstalling) crash.

Any ideas?

#6976 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

[quote name='asheskitty']GTA4 runs fine now. . It ran just fine @ 1680x150 /QUOTE]

Now that's a skinny-ass screen :lol:

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#6977 Santurio

Santurio

The Ladies' BodyGuard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Who wants Half-Life 2: Episode One for free? :whee:

Santurio got it.

Thank you hollowfreak for the game, I appreciate it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6978 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Steamgifts is going crazy with Steam codes being given out from the Ubi shop in Europe. Basically it is a $10 off $10 coupon code and people are going crazy with it... Just a heads up.

#6979 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

So, I went to start up steam today, it did the daily "updating" then crashed. Tried again, crash.

Any ideas?

Same here.

http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2995571

MARS

#6980 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Any ideas?

Mine was doing that last week. There are 2 methods when I found it for people that happens to:
1) opt out of beta (may not work if continious crashing upon start up.
2) delete everything in your main steam folder except steam.exe and steamapp folder. Restart the computer and once restarted, steam should download itself. If not then try to open the steam.exe within you main steam folder.

Mine got fixed with the second method, but I had let almost every game that I had update itself again and then it will update itself. Kept crashing, open steam again, let 1 game update, crash, open, update, crash..... Until my most of my installed game got update and it hasn't crashed yet. Sorry for an ugly response, at work right now.

#6981 blehman

blehman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

So, I just picked up Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1 and 2, and Portal 2 for a grand total of $9.16 after 20% off coupon. Can I get a hell yea!

Hell yea! Got the same stuff for the same price but with CS:S swapped for Portal 2. Great deal. Sold my copy of The Orange Box a while back, so was wanting to pick up HL2.

#6982 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the link M_F_A_H and advice lupe guillotine.
I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling after moving my steam apps...

Edit: Tried the "reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Beta" thing and it seemed to work... I had to log in again, but then got a message that it could't connect to steam network.
Tried again and it seems ok.. except I've lost layout preferences.. and most of my games are "updating" no big deal

#6983 rybrad

rybrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

As others have said earlier, the current Gen of MtG Plainswalker games consist of being able to play the card game against AI or Human opponents using preconstructed decks that can only be tweaked slightly with the substitution of additional cards that can be unlocked as you win matches. You CANNOT build any deck you want from the available cards.

I used to have that old Microprose MtG game too. I wish I hadn't given it away oh so long ago. That game was like a Heroes of Might and Magic that used MtG duels to resolve combat. You buy/earn cards along the way, and you could make any deck out of the cards you had in your inventory without restriction. Etherlords I/II was a very similar game that used a different card game mechanic.

Tempted to get the 2013 version, as I enjoyed the 2012 version quite a bit. If you don't have real people to play with, it can scratch that MtG itch without throwing you into the vast ocean (and money sink) that is MtG Online.

A HoMM style game with MTG for combat sounds pretty awesome.

Get a $2 credit for spending $2 and signing up with Green Man Gaming using my link

#6984 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

A HoMM style game with MTG for combat sounds pretty awesome.

That sounds a lot like the F2P Magic the Gathering: Tactics

http://store.steampo...com/app/201190/

#6985 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Steamgifts is going crazy with Steam codes being given out from the Ubi shop in Europe. Basically it is a $10 off $10 coupon code and people are going crazy with it... Just a heads up.

Thanks, I was going crazy trying to figure out where the hell all of these copies of Mad Riders were coming from. :lol:

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#6986 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Now that's a skinny-ass screen :lol:

Damn, you beat me to it. I was about to comment...

Damn, that's a WIDE screen!

#6987 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thanks, I was going crazy trying to figure out where the hell all of these copies of Mad Riders were coming from. :lol:

Yeah, whenever I suddenly see a bunch of copies of a single game, I know something is up.

Edited by Necrotron, 06 November 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#6988 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

For those interested in Steam on Linux:

http://store.steampo....com/news/9289/

Current list of Linux titles available:

http://store.steampo...&term=#os=linux

For more:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410

#6989 lwhitit

lwhitit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Got portal 2 n l4d2 for 8 bucks. Not bad @ all.

#6990 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Valve titles are 75% off at Gamefly.
http://www.gamefly.c...lveWeek&pf=1100

Use code BETATHANKS for an additional 20% off

Much obliged. Better than the LEGO pack or GTA deal for me. CS:S, all the HLF2 stuff and Portal for $10. Had the first two for Xbox but they're staples on PC.

& so is the GTA Collection gone now? I still want to hold out on that.
I've already beaten and played the hell out of GTA IV on my once working 360 so all I'm really interested in are the Episodes from LC if it really is gone

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4