Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#7531 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Is Darksiders 2 significantly improved over DS 1? I played maybe 5 hours of the first one and ended up getting bored with it. It just felt too repetitive and easy but then the boss fights were a huge step in difficulty.

DS2 is very much so a significant improvement over the first. More of everything in the first one in a much larger and open world. Death's combat is a total 180 from War's. Where War was very heavy hitting and not so agile, Death is very very quick and agile.

#7532 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Walking Dead is easily a GOTY contender for me right now. I got through most of episode 2 last night and wow. Telltale does a hell of a job with the character development that even the small choices turn out to be big hard ones that you need to make in a split second.

Next to Sam and Max, this is hands down Telltale's best work.

If you think Walking Dead is a GOTY contender after only playing the first two episodes, just wait until you play the next two. Such phenomenal work by Telltale.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#7533 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Daily Deal - Nightsky - $2.49

They added another midweek madness:

Star Trek Online - $9.99 for Starter Pack (Regular $24.99)

Nightsky looks ok, but also looks like a potential bundle game.

#7534 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Nightsky looks ok, but also looks like a potential bundle game.

It's been in two bundles.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#7535 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

If you think Walking Dead is a GOTY contender after only playing the first two episodes, just wait until you play the next two. Such phenomenal work by Telltale.

The third episode for me was the best. I had to take a break from the game after that one!

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#7536 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

It's been in two bundles.

Ugh, too many bundles. I can't keep up.

#7537 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

The third episode for me was the best. I had to take a break from the game after that one!

As far as the sheer intensity of the experience goes, I'd agree that 3 has been the most dramatic, although the bombshell at the end of 4 means that 5 has some big narrative threads to tie up.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#7538 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Fair enough, I might have taken it in too fast after FEAR2, which I think is superior, and I think FPS games are hard to take in quick succession.

I know you agree with me on Analogue, though. I almost added that it had your seal of approval on the end of my quick review.

FEAR3 is by a different studio. It's short as hell and the ending is a bit of a wash and the story is even worse than normal FEAR. Still, I thought the shooting was back to FEAR1 quality. That said, taking it in a FEAR marathon will definitely hurt it because it isn't as good as FEAR1 and definitely a different direction than FEARs 1 and 2 with the asymmetric coop.

I do agree on Analogue. It's harder for me to talk about now, though, having heard the author's dark hints about her fear that the scenario outlined in Analogue could happen here (Which I find insulting at best.) That said, it's a charming, enjoyable ride. I really like it and at only about 3-4 hours to get every ending it doesn't really waste your time. There are issues but I think it still works quite well. Kinda curious where the DLC will take it. Analogue doesn't seem to be the sort of story you can add to without diluting.

RE: The VN genre... The 999 games and the English stuff is all very different from the normal fare. I can't stand most normal VNs and as much as I disliked 999's for its constant breaking up of puzzles to tell me inane stories that pay off in a way that utterly betrays all emotion and tension built up to that point, it spins a damn fine thriller yarn.

Still, don't be quick to trust the genre just yet.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#7539 breakingadam

breakingadam

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Agreed. Episode 4 was great too. Real cliffhanger of an ending. I absolutely love The Walking Dead so far. They are really going to have to mess up Episode 5 for it to not be on every major site's game of the year list. I have faith in Telltale to wrap everything up in the final episode.

#7540 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'm playing this now and I love it - a great little game. Not sure if this is was you meant,
but although the earlier rooms are easy, some of the later ones (esp. in the mansion)
are quite tough to figure out (there's one $*&!ing room that took me almost two days to
figure out with almost 40 moves that have to happen in the right sequence).

If it's the room I think you're talking about, apparently it was made by the designer's brother and had a reputation with the playtesters for being obnoxiously difficult. It took me several hours as well. WAY too easy to screw yourself over 30 moves in and get trapped.

#7541 dbolt

dbolt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hero Academy is 50% off. $2.49 for one copy, $3.99 for a 2-Pack. Deal ends November 19th.

#7542 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

If it's the room I think you're talking about, apparently it was made by the designer's brother and had a reputation with the playtesters for being obnoxiously difficult. It took me several hours as well. WAY too easy to screw yourself over 30 moves in and get trapped.

This sounds awesome. I wish I had macguffins curse. Why did I pass on this?

#7543 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Borderlands 2 Golden Key Code posted a while ago, but still working!

WTCJ3-SHH3K-KFJT3-JBJ3J-H5965

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#7544 Mike UFC

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:46 AM

Hero Academy is 50% off. $2.49 for one copy, $3.99 for a 2-Pack. Deal ends November 19th.

My rule of thumb is don't buy unless the price is 66% or lower but those TF2 hats are calling me. #sucker

#7545 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:21 AM

This sounds awesome. I wish I had macguffins curse. Why did I pass on this?

Other than that one room it's an extremely good game. That's pretty much the only room that is set up in a way where it's easy to inadvertently make the puzzle unsolvable partway through (though there is a quick puzzle reset button).

#7546 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

Analogue: A Hate Story - This game is incredible. I'm not going to do this in one sentence because I find that offensive to this game. I came into it expecting something kind of skeezy, being a visual novel in the anime style. It's not only not a gross game, it's an extremely powerful piece of art railing against violence against women. It isn't a long game, and the endings are a little dumb, but its main goal is a sharp critique against classical Korean feudalism and its impact on women, and I think it's totally worth experiencing. I really can't recommend this enough, and rest assured, if you were like me and thought it was going to be an embarrassing mess, it's a mature (not mature as in sexual, mature as in well-written with serious themes) piece of art that is worth experiencing.

I thought it was decent, but I wish more higher quality visual novels were on Steam. Why can't we get amazing VNs like 999 and Virtue's Last Reward on PC/Steam? Even then, there's quite a few extremely good ones on PC that have gone out of print or have no chance of coming to Steam (such as one of my favorites, Ever 17..).

#7547 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

This in 1080p :applause:

sCMK-JVdqKY

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4

#7548 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

I'm going to assume, without looking, that I wouldn't want anything else in those Nightsky bundles and therefore justify my $2.50 purchase today.
Posted Image

#7549 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

I'm going to assume, without looking, that I wouldn't want anything else in those Nightsky bundles and therefore justify my $2.50 purchase today.

Don't sweat it - it's a great puzzle game that's definitely worth $2.50. I love the ambient
soundtrack too. Play it first in normal mode to enjoy the game and learn how to control
the marble, and then play the (much) harder alternative difficulty mode. I was obsessed
with this game for a while, at least until I finished both modes.

#7550 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

MacGuffin's Curse - Clever (as in funny writing), cool block pushing game that's extremely easy to "s rank" if you care about Steam achievements.

Game's been on my short list for a while. Makes me regret that I was unemployed when the bundle came out with it.

Nikopol:secrets of the Immortals - Really pretty with a really cool fiction, though the actual puzzle elements are subpar.

I couldn't complain too much, considering it was basically a throw-in with another bundle. The problem is that there wasn't enough actual game there. I think there were 4-5 locations in the whole game.

Speaking of adventure games, being in the middle of Runaway right now, I think I understand why people dislike Pendulo's games. Some of the things you need to do don't make much sense.

Analogue: A Hate Story - This game is incredible. I'm not going to do this in one sentence because I find that offensive to this game. I came into it expecting something kind of skeezy, being a visual novel in the anime style. It's not only not a gross game, it's an extremely powerful piece of art railing against violence against women. It isn't a long game, and the endings are a little dumb, but its main goal is a sharp critique against classical Korean feudalism and its impact on women, and I think it's totally worth experiencing. I really can't recommend this enough, and rest assured, if you were like me and thought it was going to be an embarrassing mess, it's a mature (not mature as in sexual, mature as in well-written with serious themes) piece of art that is worth experiencing.

I haven't been able to get back to it, because some of it gets under your skin because you kinda know where things are going. It certainly shows the difficulties of being thrown into the middle of a completely foreign social structure and not really having any escape from it.
Posted Image

#7551 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" Birthday Toaster (34)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

Fair enough, I might have taken it in too fast after FEAR2, which I think is superior, and I think FPS games are hard to take in quick succession.

I know you agree with me on Analogue, though. I almost added that it had your seal of approval on the end of my quick review.

Oh, I think FEAR series has gone further downhill with each iteration.

FEAR 1 (base game) was awesome and a trend-setter FPS w/ amazing graphics, great story, and awesome horror elements.
FEAR: Extraction Point was good, but nowhere as good as FEAR 1 (base game).
FEAR: Perseus Mandate was decent - though, nothing special at all.

FEAR 2 was good, but it began borrowing also A LOT of elements of other shooter cllches (Tram ride like HL2; Mech-combat missions like in Riddick: Butcher Bay; rail shooter sequence; etc etc); the game felt consolized a bit (checkpoints were introduced into the series for the 1st time here); re-hashed a lot of horror elements and tricks, so that often did feel predictable; AND the game (for a while) was missing the Slo-Mo MP that was awesome in FEAR 1's MP (later implemented in a patch).
Didn't play Reborn DLC - can't speak on it.

FEAR 3 was decent, but it's just not as a good as FEAR 2 even. Also, FEAR 3 introduced another new common shooter element - cover system. The gameplay also felt a bit more like other shooters (i.e. like COD) and less of like the earlier 2 FEAR games.

#7552 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

sCMK-JVdqKY

Thanks, I'll rewatch later. 1080p but console only though? Come on Rockstar don't let daddy down! PC needed. I want to play as Michael (Madsen?).

#7553 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

sCMK-JVdqKY

Still hope GTA5 gets a PC port.
Probably inevitable (like every other GTA since GTA3 later got a PC port) - hopefully, it'll be in the cards from Rockstar, some-time down the line.

Still want my Red Dead Redemp PC port though, dammit.

#7554 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

I had to introduce a poor gamer to Steam today. I hope things go well for him.

I was at best buy doing trade ins to get some Steam and Amazon cards and this guy, looked to be probably in his 40s, came up to the gamer counter holding a copy of Civ 5 and was asking the kid behind the counter if it would work with Windows 8. The employees there are pretty clueless when it comes to PC games, so I stepped in. Apparently the guy had just upgraded to Windows 8 and his copy of Civ IV stopped working and he couldn't find a way to fix it so he decided to just upgrade to Civ 5.

I'm not sure how computer literate he was, but he was worried about Civ 5 having the latest patches. Explained to him it was steamworks and Steam would update with the latest patches, including the latest one that added some Windows 8 stuff. Was shocked he had no clue what Steam was. I asked him if he knew what Valve was or Half Life and he had no clue about that either. So I'm not sure how much of a gamer he was, but I told him it would be patched by Steam and he should be able to get it to run.

Hurt a little to see him pay $30 for a vanilla copy, but didn't want to offend the employees by telling him he could find it a lot cheaper online. Maybe once he installs steam and sees the store he will become a convert.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#7555 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

Hurt a little to see him pay $30 for a vanilla copy, but didn't want to offend the employees by telling him he could find it a lot cheaper online. Maybe once he installs steam and sees the store he will become a convert.

Assuming he plays anything else. Some people are one game players, and certainly you can spend a lot of hours playing Civ.
Posted Image

#7556 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

Maybe once he installs steam and sees the store he will become a convert.

Or else it'll be Hydrophobia day.

#7557 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

I had to introduce a poor gamer to Steam today. I hope things go well for him.

I was at best buy doing trade ins to get some Steam and Amazon cards and this guy, looked to be probably in his 40s, came up to the gamer counter holding a copy of Civ 5 and was asking the kid behind the counter if it would work with Windows 8. The employees there are pretty clueless when it comes to PC games, so I stepped in. Apparently the guy had just upgraded to Windows 8 and his copy of Civ IV stopped working and he couldn't find a way to fix it so he decided to just upgrade to Civ 5.

I'm not sure how computer literate he was, but he was worried about Civ 5 having the latest patches. Explained to him it was steamworks and Steam would update with the latest patches, including the latest one that added some Windows 8 stuff. Was shocked he had no clue what Steam was. I asked him if he knew what Valve was or Half Life and he had no clue about that either. So I'm not sure how much of a gamer he was, but I told him it would be patched by Steam and he should be able to get it to run.

Why did Civ 4 stop working on Win 8? That seems...odd - especially if it was working on Win 7.
If worst comes to worst, like most older games, you right-click on shortcut and change Properties.
Look at Compatibility Tab.
Check the box to Turn-Off both Desktop Composition and Visual Themes (i.e. Windows Aero);
Check box to Run as Admin;
and Run in Compatability Mode for a Win OS the game actually worked on and officially supported.

I ain't heard much about Civ 4 problems on Win 8...

#7558 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Why did Civ 4 stop working on Win 8? That seems...odd - especially if it was working on Win 7.
If worst comes to worst, like most older games, you right-click on shortcut and change Properties.
Look at Compatibility Tab.
Check the box to Turn-Off both Desktop Composition and Visual Themes (i.e. Windows Aero);
Check box to Run as Admin;
and Run in Compatability Mode for a Win OS the game actually worked on and officially supported.

I ain't heard much about Civ 4 problems on Win 8...

I was a bit confused too since I have yet to have too many compatibility issues with 7 or 8, but the guy was pretty adamant he had "tried everything" so I didn't push the issue or go into too much detail. Initially I thought he might be pretty game savvy, but then realized he must just like the one game. Seemed like the type to just want to go pick up the game he wants, have it work with minimal effort, and then be on his way.

#7559 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Don't know if should even bother waiting for a lower price. At 2.00 for a copy in the two pack I don't think waiting would be worth it, unless I wait for the gold pack to get cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

#7560 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

I've just been told Star Wars: The Old Republic is ftp starting 1 est today (after their maintenance).

I bought SW:TOR when it came out, but didn't play past the first free month. As an MMO (something to play for years/thousands of hours) I really can't recommend it. However, I can highly recommend it for the story lines. Especially if you're a SW fan I have no doubt that you'll enjoy the first 20-30ish levels of most classes.