Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#8851 n0id

n0id

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hmm...added the Skyrim DLC to cart but when I went to purchase the total jumped by $4 or so like it applied tax.

Looks like it's happening to people for Crysis 2 as well. Watch those insta-buy clicks ladies and gentlemen.

Yup, this happend to me. skyrim DLC went up by $4 when checking out. I've opened a ticket with steam support...here's hoping they adjust it.

#8852 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR FINAL TOTAL BEFORE CLICKING PURCHASE

Something is screwy for a ton of people on a ton of games right now and they are being charged more than they should be.

edit: Looks like it has been sorted for me but still be careful for a bit.
sudo mklove

#8853 Jackovasaurus

Jackovasaurus

And ya say Chi-City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

You guys. Farming Simulator. I think ima bite!

#8854 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Farming Simulator as a daily? Really? REALLY?!

Farming Sim as a daily deal actually made me laugh out loud.

Makes me wonder if this is a make-up call by steam for accidentally putting it up for 75% off back when it was still a preorder.

#8855 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Anyone else get an email from Gamersgate about their IGN discount expiring soon? Very odd.

Yeah, there's discussion in the GG thread about it. Seems to be for about everyone.

#8856 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Anyone else get an email from Gamersgate about their IGN discount expiring soon? Very odd.

Vets already removed the IGN discount from my minion's pet. Damn ninja vets.

The older Transformers game, War for Cybertron, is also 75% off.

I've been thinking about picking this up once it hit $5 again. Can anyone remark from personal experience? I've read it's a competent TPS. (I'm not a Transformormers/Comic book fan, so no hook from that angle.)

#8857 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

this is my first steam sale, are they normally this disappointing?

The winter sale is the one you really want to wait for. There will be some good deals in this sale, but the winter and summer sales are the real wallet breakers. Of course, that also depends on the size of your backlog, too.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#8858 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

I can't believe it took me so long to realize this, but if you buy 20,000 Blue Coins at Gamersgate.com for $19.50 using code G2PO, then go to Gamersgate.co.uk and buy Dishonored using G2PO again with the IGN discount, you'll enjoy that lovely Steamworks Dishonored goodness for $19.50 (minus leftover coins + about 1,250 coins in store credit for purchase/review). Nice nice. :)

Nooooo I bought it last night for $22.50.

#8859 SelmaBlair

SelmaBlair

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

This sale is pretty garbage, I hope the winter sale delivers (so far it always has).

#8860 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

this is my first steam sale, are they normally this disappointing?

To be honest, the Thanksgiving sale is one of their weaker sales, particularly with the winter sale around the corner.

It is funny everyone saying that their money goes to Amazon, when I've never done it. I guess the timing and the games haven't matched up with what I've wanted.
Posted Image

#8861 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I enjoyed Inversion for a decent generic TPS, on Binary Domain's tier but without BD's goofy charm. Will be $5 at Amazon for a Steam key on 11/26 though

Anyone played Don't Starve? It looks pretty interesting. I just can't find reviews.

It's more Minecraft/Terraria survival than actual survival, only without the building or action that made those two games almost bearable. Boring, absolutely no challenge, just collect endless amounts of crap for your crafting ambitions. Only times I died were because I chose specifically an action that got me killed just because I craved some stimulus other than collecting loads of junk.

I LOVE Klei and I cannot find anything to like in this.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#8862 derintrel

derintrel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Well if nothing else I'll pick up Dawnguard.

#8863 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Farming Sim as a daily deal actually made me laugh out loud.

Makes me wonder if this is a make-up call by steam for accidentally putting it up for 75% off back when it was still a preorder.

What really amazes me about it is we're limited to just six daily deals this time versus the eight to ten or whatever the major sales are... to use Farming Simulator for one of those spots... I mean... what?!?

#8864 cutter2

cutter2

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

It won't, because Steam has no one to contact about putting it on sale.

Of course Valve has someone to contact. Do you really think that Valve is keeping the money that it makes from the sale of that game? The game is still for sale on Steam. Someone owns the rights to it, and that someone could authorize a sale. According to this article that someone is the trustee for the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation.

#8865 CronO_O

CronO_O

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

What really amazes me about it is we're limited to just six daily deals this time versus the eight to ten or whatever the major sales are... to use Farming Simulator for one of those spots... I mean... what?!?

Um you do know this is ually a weaker sale out of all sales and there are a lot of people that actually like games like these.

#8866 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Of course Valve has someone to contact. Do you really think that Valve is keeping the money that it makes from the sale of that game? The game is still for sale on Steam. Someone owns the rights to it, and that someone could authorize a sale.

I'm sure they have someone like the receiver in bankruptcy/a Rhode Island law firm to contact but, bottom line, some partner in a law firm isn't going to be bothered with discussing sales on Steam. They're basically just shuffling the paperwork until the IP is sold.

#8867 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Um you do know this is ually a weaker sale out of all sales and there are a lot of people that actually like games like these.

Um... I do. But 'weaker' doesn't necessarily mean you put obscure/niche titles in as dailies. 'Weaker' would translate into 50% discounts when you were expecting 75% discounts not having Flora's Fruit Farm or Horrid Henry as one of the six dailies.

#8868 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Of course Valve has someone to contact. Do you really think that Valve is keeping the money that it makes from the sale of that game? The game is still for sale on Steam. Someone owns the rights to it, and that someone could authorize a sale.

That "someone" is largely the State of Rhode Island (and some financial institutions) at the moment. Money from the sales probably go into some escrow style account until the legal wranglings have been completed and I doubt Rhode Island is immediately concerned with marketing the game since they're auctioning off the IP anyway.

#8869 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

I enjoyed Inversion for a decent generic TPS, on Binary Domain's tier but without BD's goofy charm. Will be $5 at Amazon for a Steam key on 11/26 though

Inversion was originally listed as being $5, but then Tony broke the bad news that it was a typo and it's really planned to be $7.50. Or at least, that was the last that I heard. Did something change? Has it been changed to a $5 deal? I can't find the listing for it in the Amazon OP.

Um... I do. But 'weaker' doesn't necessarily mean you put obscure/niche titles in as dailies. 'Weaker' would translate into 50% discounts when you were expecting 75% discounts not having Flora's Fruit Farm or Horrid Henry as one of the six dailies.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think that I might be on to something. This is steam's way of saying that they're sorry for the big screw-up with the preorder. They're offering a slot as a daily to make up for it.

#8870 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

You can go to your Account > Account Details page and look at both your licenses and store transactions. They're listed chronologically, but only the store transactions are dated.

Yes, but requires a lot more work. I like keeping it simple and easy.

#8871 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Inversion was originally listed as being $5, but then Tony broke the bad news that it was a typo and it's really planned to be $7.50. Or at least, that was the last that I heard. Did something change? Has it been changed to a $5 deal? I can't find the listing for it in the Amazon OP.

Still $7.49

It's listed in the second post.

#8872 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

hoping for a sub $10 transformers :pray:

Auen1.png?7125

#8873 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

hoping for a sub $10 transformers :pray:

It's the daily: http://store.steampo....com/app/42650/

#8874 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

While I see where you are coming from with calling Farming Simulator a weaker title for a daily deal. The game actually is pretty popular in Europe. When It came out it was in the top 3 for PC sales over there, so while it isn't popular to a lot of us, it does have a fair size market that it appeals to.

#8875 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

While I see where you are coming from with calling Farming Simulator a weaker title for a daily deal. The game actually is pretty popular in Europe. When It came out it was in the top 3 for PC sales over there, so while it isn't popular to a lot of us, it does have a fair size market that it appeals to.

Yes, but has it usurped Rig N' Roll?

#8876 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yes, but has it usurped Rig N' Roll?

Posted Image

#8877 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Any point in picking up Transformers: War For Cybertron for $4.99 since Fall of Cybertron is already out?

#8878 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Any point in picking up Transformers: War For Cybertron for $4.99 since Fall of Cybertron is already out?

I still think its a good game with a good story. So to me it would be worth $5.

#8879 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

I still think its a good game with a good story. So to me it would be worth $5.

Welp, off to Steam I go! Thanks, mate!

#8880 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I enjoyed Transformers War for Cybertron as well. From what I heard Fall of Cybertron picks up after the first one so the for story alone it be worth playing.