Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#9211 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

I just opted to pay the $1.25 more since I had Amazon credit and I get two $5 promo codes, too.

I went the same route.

76561197971332172.png

#9212 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

well Fuck you may have just convinced me to buy a game I have never heard of

#9213 Triggerhappy14

Triggerhappy14

Hey, what's going on?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Anyone who doesn't buy Psychonauts is doing themselves a huge disservice.

#9214 Dalrint

Dalrint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

I wish Cities XL 2012 would drop down to 5 dollars at some point. Every time it goes to ten I stare at it for a while and then don't get it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9215 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

well Fuck you may have just convinced me to buy a game I have never heard of

Tony will be pleased!

#9216 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

so is there need to buy silverfall and silverfall earth awakening or would I be good with just earth awakening?

#9217 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

I'd just grab Warband -- it's a remake of vanilla and has all the same content (just less total conversion mods). Fire & Sword was a bit of a flop as firearms just don't really feel like M&B. Napoleonic Wars is a multi-player only expansion. Of course, it's only another $4ish for that stuff so it's up to you.

As an aside $10 for all four Double Fine games is a crazy deal. If I didn't already own Psychonauts and Costume Quest I'd be all over it.

That is a great deal for the Double Fine bundle. Hopefully Amazon will price match it as I have CC and Psychonauts already.
Posted Image

#9218 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

so is there need to buy silverfall and silverfall earth awakening or would I be good with just earth awakening?

The way I read it (may have been The End who explained) is that while you can play Earth Awakening by itself it starts you off at a higher level and new area so, in effect, you miss out on content. Thus, it makes sense to buy both.

#9219 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

I wish Cities XL 2012 would drop down to 5 dollars at some point. Every time it goes to ten I stare at it for a while and then don't get it...

Yeah same here. You'd think they'd have reached a saturation point with market penetration at that price point. I'm intrigued, but I'm $5 intrigued.

76561197971332172.png

#9220 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

if i buy a borderlands 2 4-pack on amazon instead of steam, will I get 1 $5 coupon or 4?

#9221 cranky2

cranky2

Knight Of The Order Of Cheapassery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

Woah, just checked out some Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars gameplay. I can play as the Blackwatch piper? So bought.

#9222 Dalrint

Dalrint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Yeah same here. You'd think they'd have reached a saturation point with market penetration at that price point. I'm intrigued, but I'm $5 intrigued.

Yeah, exactly. Five dollars is all I'm willing to give them to see if they fixed all the problems with the first version.

Fool me once, after all..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9223 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

That's b/c the Silverfall (original) game had a lot of user UI issues, camera issues, and technical performances issues out-the-box, when the game was originally reviewed most places. It got dinged a lot of places hard b/c of that.

Silverfall did give the player often choices in most quests - even in a loot-driven heavy ARPG. Often, these choices - they'd also effect your Technology vs. Nature meter - and that Meter would decide also what other skills you could learn (and not learn). Also, at its time - it was cel-shaded and looked really good, but most systems ran in poorly.

Silverfall: Earth Awakening (stand-alone expansion) never officially hit the USA at Retail, as well. So, Earth Awakening was not reviewed much in the States, as well. Finding it was NOT easy - as often you had to look to Import places like Gogamer back then, to find it. Atari had the USA rights for distributing everything Silverfall at Retail - and they didn't opt for the expansion here.

IMHO, Silverfall was good even w/ its major issues, but Earth Awakening (which fixed basically most of the complaints I had w/ the game) FINALLY made the game great & live up to its potential.

Silverfall + Earth Awakening eventually wound-up in the digital space - and well, it wasn't put on sale often there. I think that's why people are looking for it b/c the expansion was once VERY hard-to-find.

Also, Monte Cristo Game Studios closed its doors in 2010.

Yeah you've sold me on it too. Lately I've been playing through my Steam list and I'm finding I really enjoy delving into these sorts of under-appreciated games.

I'll get it on Steam though...cheaper, no tax, I can use Paypal, and those $5 Amazon credits don't impress me much.
76561197996844513.png

#9224 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

A little late to the Mass Effect DLC bitchfest, but something else to toss on that fire.

It really surprised me that when they came out with the just recently release Mass Effect Trilogy that they didn't include the DLC. I mean really EA? You wonder why everyone hates you.

#9225 g6grim

g6grim

Grim Reaper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

That's b/c the Silverfall (original) game had a lot of user UI issues, camera issues, and technical performances issues out-the-box, when the game was originally reviewed most places...

...IMHO, Silverfall was good even w/ its major issues, but Earth Awakening (which fixed basically most of the complaints I had w/ the game) FINALLY made the game great & live up to its potential.

When I'm playing the demo I feel like the camera is stuttering all the time and I just can't look at the screen for too long. Could this be one of the issues that you are talking about? Am I just imagining things?

A little late to the Mass Effect DLC bitchfest, but something else to toss on that fire.

It really surprised me that when they came out with the just recently release Mass Effect Trilogy that they didn't include the DLC. I mean really EA? You wonder why everyone hates you.

At this point I've given up on the idea of owing Mass Effect series on PC. At least on consoles they sometimes discount this DLC.

#9226 valenor the bored

valenor the bored

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

I've never heard of Chivalry before but I just looked at the video and it looks awesome.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

#9227 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

i'd say get in on a 4-pack then chivalry is definately worth it
seems to me like a ton of people will be playing thanks to this sale

#9228 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

Chivalry is a hoot. I don't normally like these MP focused games but that was a lot of good fun.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#9229 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

IF someone is making a 4 pack please let me know!

#9230 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

Is it just me or is the autumn sale a fail? Hardly bought anything the last couple of days. Nothing interesting and the % off is not as enticing as I hope it should be.

#9231 Dalrint

Dalrint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

Is it just me or is the autumn sale a fail? Hardly bought anything the last couple of days. Nothing interesting and the % off is not as enticing as I hope it should be.

This sale always feels more like a precursor to the end of the year sale to me. It never feels as good as that one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9232 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Finally picked up Vegas: Make It Big :bouncy: It's kind of hard to get excited though if you've followed this thread and picked up all the great deals everywhere over the last year. Was hoping Skyrim would go lower though. Maybe next sale.
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#9233 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Spoiler

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear that the bad review scores were largely due to glitches that have since been fixed. Your general description of the game does sound somewhat intriguing. Worth a $5 gamble anyway. So I think I will pick it up after all.

Finally picked up Vegas: Make It Big :bouncy: It's kind of hard to get excited though if you've followed this thread and picked up all the great deals everywhere over the last year. Was hoping Skyrim would go lower though. Maybe next sale.

Ha, I just picked up Vegas MiB too. I actually won it during the holiday sale last year but I had to throw it in as a sweetener in a trade for Ghostbusters back in July. I don't regret the trade, because Ghostbusters is no longer in the store. But I kinda wanted to get Vegas MiB back in my inventory.

Oh and you missed it last night. Big sale on Skyrim. I picked it up for $10. :p

#9234 Slixshot

Slixshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

So far I've picked up Max Payne 3, Hotline Miami, and Psychonauts
Posted Image

#9235 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

I only bought $5 worth of stuff from Steam, but GamersGate and Amazon got a few bucks out of me.

#9236 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

A couple of days ago, there were several posters here who seemed to be pretty excited to see Silverfall: Complete on sale. Aside from the fact that it apparently doesn't go on sale all that often, why were people so excited about it? I confess, I had never heard of the game a few days ago. That Metacritic score doesn't scream "excellence in gaming" though.

That's b/c the Silverfall (original) game had a lot of user UI issues, camera issues, and technical performances issues out-the-box, when the game was originally reviewed most places. It got dinged a lot of places hard b/c of that.

Spoiler

The recent bit began on the 18th when Silverfall: Earth Awakening popped up as daily for $3.75 on GG (starts on page 55 of the GG thread, summed up in this post -- hit the spoiler button.) MysterD's posts raised awareness among some CAGs, so when I saw it on the Steam Autum sale, I bit right away. For me it was simply a matter of an isometric (or third person) ARPG for cheap that was worth checking out (and I wanted the complete version).

The way I read it (may have been The End who explained) is that while you can play Earth Awakening by itself it starts you off at a higher level and new area so, in effect, you miss out on content. Thus, it makes sense to buy both.

I've read this elsewhere too. In the expansion you start at level 40 iirc.

#9237 Bios Element

Bios Element

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

I've never heard of Chivalry before but I just looked at the video and it looks awesome.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

If wild random times are fun to you, go for it. If slow paced or super realistic combat is your thing, stay away from it. The combat itself is slow but everything happens really quickly and can be quirky at times. It's all in good way though.
Looking for a friendly little gaming community? You should check out BiosHub! We play a little bit of everything, from Natural Selection 2 and PlanetSide 2 to Guild Wars 2 and AI Wars. - http://bioshub.com/

#9238 NvaderJim

NvaderJim

Game Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

That Hotline game is evil. I don't know how I let you guys talk me into it.

#9239 earvcunanan

earvcunanan

I'm cool.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

Fallout New Vegas UE is still in stock here:
http://www.microsoft...348300/vip.true

Probably better to install that off the disc than to download.

Edited by earvcunanan, 25 November 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#9240 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

That Hotline game is evil. I don't know how I let you guys talk me into it.

It's fucking awesome! I'm up to chapter 8 atm. (I'm not really sure how it appears to someone who didn't play games in the 80s, my guess is "evil".) ^_^