Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#9961 kataztrophik

kataztrophik

Rochambeau! I win.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Amazon
Bioshock Pack - 4.99
GTA IV Complete + San Andreas + LA Noire Complete Pack - 14.99
Harry Batman Pack - 13.99
Syndicate - 4.99
Zeno Clash - 0.99

CAG
Amnesia Dark Descent - 2.00
Prototype Bundle - 10.00
Terraria - 3.00
THQ Medley Pack - 9.00
Torchlight - 1.00

GamersGate
Borderlands GOTY - 7.12
Fueling Up Bundle - 3.80

Gamestop
Dead Island GOTY - 6.78

Green Man Gaming
Dishonored - 22.50

Microsoft
Call of Duty MW3 - 10.61
Diablo 3 - 10.61
Skyrim x2 - 21.22
SWTOR CE - 10.61

Steam
Bastion - 3.74
Binding of Isaac - 1.24
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Standard - 4.99
Double Fine Bundle - 9.99
Orcs Must Die 2 Complete - 5.00
Torchlight 2 - 11.25
Witcher Enhanced - 2.49
Witcher 2 - 7.49

Total: $197.61

#9962 Killbomb

Killbomb

Waiting for Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Pretty slow Black Friday weekend on the PC side for me...

GMG

Galaxy on Fire 2 $3.74 (bought with credit)
Death Rally $2

Amazon

Zeno Clash .99

Steam

Zombie Driver HD $2.49
First Templar $4.99
Silverfall Complete $3.74 (Already had the original Silverfall on disc but any changes I made to the graphics options would not save so I picked it up Steam for the extra $1.24 instead of fussing with it.)

$14.21 total out of pocket

Spent WAY more this weekend on a Vita and console games. :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9963 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hm. I suddenly want Dream Machine very badly.

There's a demo in Steam, but you can also play the first bit on the developer's website. I really enjoyed the art style, humor, and dialogue. Also, there was an ilomilo reference. :)

http://www.thedreammachine.se/

#9964 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hm. I suddenly want Dream Machine very badly.

There's a demo in Steam, but you can also play the first bit on the developer's website. I really enjoyed the art style, humor, and dialogue. Also, there was an ilomilo reference. :)

http://www.thedreammachine.se/

You still have time to pick up the new indie royale bundle and get the first three episodes.

#9965 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

You still have time to pick up the new indie royale bundle and get the first three episodes.

Didn't even know that bundle was still going.

Only want Dream Machine though. Already have Puzzle Agent 2.

#9966 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

My haul for November:

Steam (16.50):
Sonic CD: 1.50
KOTOR 2: 2.50
Faerie Solitaire: 1.25
Torchlight 2 Group buy: 7.50
OMD 2: 3.75

Amazon (83.50):
Prototype 1 and 2 pack: 7.50
THQ bundle (Homefront, Red Faction: Armageddon & guerilla, STALKER, Warhammer 40k, Metro 2033): 10
Civ V: Gods and Kings: 7.50
Borderlands 2: 30
XCOM: 25
Syndicate: 2.50
Zeno Clash: 1

Green Man Gaming:
Dishonored: 22.50

Total: $122.50... not too bad, unless you count some of the non-PC deals I purchased as well :/
Posted Image

#9967 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I check this thread regularly. I both find AND POST deals I find on Steam games. Seriously, if you're into getting the best prices on Steam, this thread can't be beat.

True it becomes a bit of a "lounge" when the major sales are on, but I think that's mostly because ALMOST EVERYTHING is on sale. Would you prefer that we all make our own threads for the 1000+ titles currently on sale? :D

If it's more current than Torchlight 2 preorder on Novenmber 26th, 2012, then yes, lol. I mean every user has time to brag about what they bought, but can't edit a WiIKI page to let others know without having to wade in this muck? That's plain lazy, tbh. I know there are lots, which makes it even more sad that each person can't add 1 game that they think is the best deal? Most of the OP's in the deals section are where new users come to find deals & this thread has turned off about 4 new people I turned on to CAG, cuz they didn't want to see what people bought when the deal was over (since I told them it was a place to find great deals on any platform).

#9968 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

If it's more current than Torchlight 2 preorder on Novenmber 26th, 2012, then yes, lol. I mean every user has time to brag about what they bought, but can't edit a WiIKI page to let others know without having to wade in this muck? That's plain lazy, tbh. I know there are lots, which makes it even more sad that each person can't add 1 game that they think is the best deal? Most of the OP's in the deals section are where new users come to find deals & this thread has turned off about 4 new people I turned on to CAG, cuz they didn't want to see what people bought when the deal was over (since I told them it was a place to find great deals on any platform).

Hey, you. You there. Stop being a dick. :)

Go edit the WIKI and show us how it's supposed to be done.

This thread brings in new people in busy periods for that EXACT reason - it's busy. It's what brought me in and what's brought others in too. It won't suit everybody but it suits plenty.

If you edit the Wiki properly I'll make you a nice cup of tea and we can have a chat about it over a hobnob or two.

#9969 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Now, now, children. Let's talk about important things.

Like how I own Dream Machine now. Everyone be happy for me. :grouphug:

#9970 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

...this thread has turned off about 4 new people I turned on to CAG, cuz they didn't want to see what people bought when the deal was over...

Different strokes. This thread was a primary reason why I stuck around; the community atmosphere and games talk (what's good, what is buggy, what's just terrible) and even the banter made it an interesting and informative place for talking about sales.

Like how I own Dream Machine now. Everyone be happy for me. :grouphug:

Those multicolored hugging guys look pretty dream-esque. As opposed to looking "Dreamy".

#9971 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hey, you. You there. Stop being a dick. :)

Go edit the WIKI and show us how it's supposed to be done.

This thread brings in new people in busy periods for that EXACT reason - it's busy. It's what brought me in and what's brought others in too. It won't suit everybody but it suits plenty.

If you edit the Wiki properly I'll make you a nice cup of tea and we can have a chat about it over a hobnob or two.

Pretty much this.

This isn't the Xbox threads. People do things differently here but you will find they are friendly and sociable and willing to help if you aren't being a total rude jerkwad.

The thing is with the Flash deals in particular flipping so fast and so often, editing that wiki is A LOT OF WORK. You are certainly welcome to do it next time for the winter sale if it bugs you so much though.

Anyway, you can easily see all the featured daily and flash deals on Steam at any given time just by going to Steam's site so is it really that big of a deal that it's not totally updated all the time in real time here?

If you want to browse, go look at Steam, if there's something in particular you are interested in then ask. It's not that hard.

*Edit: As an aside to all this unpleasantry, I wonder if there's some way to insert a self updating RSS feed into the OP wiki so the lazy impatient console gamers who wander in won't go into a nerd rage in the future.

#9972 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Pardon me while I put my feet up and lounge here a bit...

As a newcomer I have to say, the light-hearted nature of this theard (and others here) are what made me finally decide to register and stick around. If I didn't want the warm and fuzzy atmosphere, I'd do all my discount searching solo and be anti-social like I am IRL.

FYI: I bought all my items I intended to buy on BF and then some. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I won't have any interest (or money) in buying anything during Amazon's Editor's Choice promo offering. I could compose a list of purchases, but if I do that, I'll know how much I spent which will make me sad...

#9973 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Those multicolored hugging guys look pretty dream-esque. As opposed to looking "Dreamy".

You know you want a hug. It's okay to admit it.

Pretty much this.

This isn't the Xbox threads. People do things differently here but you will find they are friendly and sociable and willing to help if you aren't being a total rude jerkwad.

I'm with Motoki. I rarely comment in deals threads, but I like the community we've established in this thread. It's my favorite thread on CAG, and the one I frequent most.

#9974 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

As to the question of whether you can activate the Steam version of The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition at GOG (Yes) to receive the Backup DRM-FREE version as well as the extras, and to what are the differences:

1. Right Click on The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition while in Library Mode (left pane shows game names)
2. Select "View CD Key"
3. Select "Copy to Clipboard"
4. Go to GOG Witcher/Witcher 2 Backup Copy Redemption
5. Paste the code into the box and hit redeem. Your Backup copy will now be in your GOG Library, as well as all the bonus content.

When you redeem The Witcher 2 on Steam and start downloading it, it will have 2 separate downloads.
The game and a 4.8 GB download titled The Witcher 2: Bonus Content.
This will appear in your Steam folder at the following address: /Steam/steamapps/common/the witcher 2.

Here are the differences between the Steam extras and the GOG extras. Will start with what's the same:

Same Bonus Content at GOG & Steam
-----------------------
Soundtrack
Map
Game Guide
Manual
Papercraft Dolls
Pamphlet & Envelope

Exclusive to Steam
------------------
Photos of Developer Offices
Promo Pictures
Screenshots

Exclusive to GOG
------------------
Wallpapers
Artbook
Artworks
many more videos other than just Developer Diaries
Triss Playboy Session
Comic Book
4 Bonus Tracks to the Soundtrack

There's definitely some overlap, but the clear winner here is GOG. Let Steam download the extras folder (it will automatically anyway). Then consolidate it into the folder that you downloaded the GOG extras into.

thanks, that is all useful and should be stickied somewhere. i dont think i will buy witcher 2 right now, it is bound to be $5 or $2.50 soon enough(well maybe in 2013 or 2014). i was fortunate to get skyrim from the microsoft store for $10 so will be playing that for months.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#9975 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have to admit that I haven't looked at the first post for several months now. I mainly only come into this thread to read the chat and find the occasional deal :) This isn't ONLY a Steam thread; I see people post deals for PC games that are cheaper on other websites such as Amazon PCDD, GMG, etc, which I appreciate. No need to get hung up over semantics; consider this more of a community chat room than a pure Steam deals thread :)

On the side note of showing our haul, I was mainly just surprised how little I spent on Steam compared to the other digital distribution retailers. I have extremely fond memories of the past couple Summer and Winter sales, so I hope next month doesn't disappoint! I still have several games I would love to see a 50-75% sale for (half minute hero, FTL, etc).
Posted Image

#9976 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I never look at the first post of any on-going thread. If I want to know what today's Steam deal are, I'll just look at Steam.

#9977 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm up to about $12, mostly on DLCs. My big purchase of the sale was Avernum: Escape from the Pit for $4.99. I've been eyeballing the Spiderweb stuff for a while and this and Nethergate are the only ones I don't have (well, now I have Avernum 1). I thought there was at least a fair chance I would start Avernum before the Christmas sale, so that was all the justification I needed. I also picked up Hearthfire (had to register my $10 Skyrim key first), but based on what I've read about Dawnguard, I figured I'd wait on a 75% sale for it. I picked up another SR3 DLC, the Maximum Pleasure Pack, partly because I think I will love that shark gun and the man cannon (reminds me of Red Alert 3). I snagged a couple of cheap CKII DLCs, Legacy of Rome and Songs of Byzantium.

I'm kicking around the idea of spending $3-5 more before the sale shuts down in a few hours because I yanked a couple of things out of my cart that I'm reconsidering (Zombie Driver HD and Silverfall Complete).

Other than that, I bought a couple of Amazon's $3.99 MP3 albums (Jason Mraz as a gift for the missus and the Brave sountrack for me) and no game stuff from Amazon. I'll probably wait to see what Tony has in store for us closer to Christmas.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#9978 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I ended up with The Witcher 2 to clean out the remaining $50 I had put in my Steam wallet at the beginning of the sale. I did the GOG.com backup, but didn't realize I would view my CD Key in Steam until I read walkonshadows post above.

Long story short, I now have The Witcher 2 in my GOG library. I had a question though - seems that this game has some... ehem shall we say... questionable content. Are these parts really graphic or is it like "sex scene from Mass Effect"?

#9979 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I still have several games I would love to see a 50-75% sale for (half minute hero, FTL, etc).

I wasn't a big fan of HMH. The idea seemed a lot more fun that the actual game itself. You may want to research that one to make sure it's what you're after :)

However, FTL has been a pleasant surprise for me and one of my favourite games of 2012. It has plenty of replayability and scratches that pleasepleasepleasedontdieonme itch. It's also very unforgiving as you can lose an hour's work in just one jump; it's that constant threat of death that really drew me in. As RockPaperShotgun pointed out, some games are at their best when it all goes hopelessly wrong.

#9980 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Long story short, I now have The Witcher 2 in my GOG library. I had a question though - seems that this game has some... ehem shall we say... questionable content. Are these parts really graphic or is it like "sex scene from Mass Effect"?

It's pretty Mass Effect-y, I'd say. You might see the occasional boob, if that bothers you, but there are only three NPCs that Geralt can have relations with, if I recall correctly (I only saw two of them). It's handled in a very mature way. Let's just say it's much better than the odd nude-card collecting game that was censored everywhere in the first game and made some folks rather uncomfortable.

#9981 kataztrophik

kataztrophik

Rochambeau! I win.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Steamgamesales partially down for anyone else? I can only see games from Green Man Gaming and Desura..

#9982 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

It's pretty Mass Effect-y, I'd say. You might see the occasional boob, if that bothers you, but there are only three NPCs that Geralt can have relations with, if I recall correctly (I only saw two of them). It's handled in a very mature way. Let's just say it's much better than the odd nude-card collecting game that was censored everywhere in the first game and made some folks rather uncomfortable.

Thanks Warreni. I'm not the type of person that's bothered by nudity, but I have two kids at home so that usually dictates this kind of stuff. :D Thanks for the heads up.

#9983 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

The way everyone's talking about collecting these cards and the creepyness factor that goes along with it makes me remember collecting "Stud Cards" for the Weird Old Ventriloquist (with puppet) in Shadow Hearts II for the Playstation 2. He was obviously gay, but I actually made an effort to look for those cards. He seemed such a lonely old guy with a just a puppet to keep him company.......Yeah, that's it, I was collecting them for him, that's why I was so obsessed with finding them....for him.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#9984 Neuropod

Neuropod

Because, anarchy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Aztaka $1.00 (IndieGameStand)
Offspring Fling! $1.99
Star Wars: KOTOR II $2.49
Fallout 3: GOTY $4.99
BioShock 1 + 2 $4.99 (Amazon)
Sonic CD $1.24 (Amazon)
Awesomenauts $2.26 (3-pack)
Orcs Must Die! 2 Complete $4.99 (2-pack)
Who's That Flying? $1.49
Silverfall Complete $3.74

Total: $29.18

Pretty fun sale, can't complain.

I'd say it's a fair bit more graphic than Mass Effect, especially ME2 & 3. Especially the bathhouse scene...don't do that part with family looking over your shoulder. :lol: But like everything else it's pretty faithful to the books in that regard. Speaking of which...

Whether you just picked up the Witcher games in this sale or are a long-time fan, I really recommend reading the books! Books 1 & 3 have been officially released in English, and the rest have been fully translated by some awesome guys on the Witcher forums: http://en.thewitcher...n-translations/ The quality ranges from near-professional to fairly iffy but it is a fan project, and it could be years before these books are officially translated, if ever. With the sequel hook set up at the end of The Witcher 2 I'd say reading the books is absolutely essential. Not to mention, it's amazing how many seemingly-throwaway characters in the games are actually fully fleshed-out in the books. Go read 'em.
76561197996844513.png

#9985 kataztrophik

kataztrophik

Rochambeau! I win.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Whether you just picked up the Witcher games in this sale or are a long-time fan, I really recommend reading the books! Books 1 & 3 have been officially released in English, and the rest have been fully translated by some awesome guys on the Witcher forums: http://en.thewitcher...n-translations/ The quality ranges from near-professional to fairly iffy but it is a fan project, and it could be years before these books are officially translated, if ever. With the sequel hook set up at the end of The Witcher 2 I'd say reading the books is absolutely essential. Not to mention, it's amazing how many seemingly-throwaway characters in the games are actually fully fleshed-out in the books. Go read 'em.

Would you recommend I read the books prior to playing the game? Perhaps this might encourage me to actually play them as opposed to letting them rot in the backlog

#9986 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

The books are pretty disconnected, and the game's plot hinges on Geralt's amnesia, so I wouldn't bother with them yet. Read them afterword if you're a fan of the universe.

#9987 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

I never look at the first post of any on-going thread. If I want to know what today's Steam deal are, I'll just look at Steam.

Pretty much the whole of it. Steam does a good job of putting what's on sale front and center by going to their front page, so updating the OP makes a lot less sense than in threads for B&M deals or sites that aren't just games digital distributors. The thread, I find, is a great place to point out games that aren't top/featured deals and then get feedback or have a discussion on them.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#9988 Neuropod

Neuropod

Because, anarchy.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

The books are pretty disconnected, and the game's plot hinges on Geralt's amnesia, so I wouldn't bother with them yet. Read them afterword if you're a fan of the universe.

^I actually agree with this. Even better if you go back and play the games again after reading, you'll pick up on so many things, major and minor, that you didn't notice the first time. Besides, we are talking about 2 short story collections (if you do read, don't skip these) and five novels, that's a lot to try and get into if you're not already invested.
76561197996844513.png

#9989 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

I wasn't a big fan of HMH. The idea seemed a lot more fun that the actual game itself. You may want to research that one to make sure it's what you're after :)

However, FTL has been a pleasant surprise for me and one of my favourite games of 2012. It has plenty of replayability and scratches that pleasepleasepleasedontdieonme itch. It's also very unforgiving as you can lose an hour's work in just one jump; it's that constant threat of death that really drew me in. As RockPaperShotgun pointed out, some games are at their best when it all goes hopelessly wrong.

Thanks for the heads up! As for HMH, I actually beat all of it on PSP and especially loved the last bonus mode (Hero 3 mode I think), and I wanted to see how different he PC/XBOX version was since those came out later. You're right though, it's an overall shallow experience, which is why I only want to buy it if it's 75% off :)
Posted Image

#9990 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

I'd say it's a fair bit more graphic than Mass Effect, especially ME2 & 3. Especially the bathhouse scene...don't do that part with family looking over your shoulder. :lol: But like everything else it's pretty faithful to the books in that regard.

Well, except for the time when he is in his tent at the siege camp with Triss at the very beginning of the game, every encounter thereafter is optional. My memory may be a bit fuzzy about the details (I played TW2 shortly after it came out) but I don't think there are any other mandatory "adult encounters" in the game.

The way everyone's talking about collecting these cards and the creepyness factor that goes along with it makes me remember collecting "Stud Cards" for the Weird Old Ventriloquist (with puppet) in Shadow Hearts II for the Playstation 2. He was obviously gay, but I actually made an effort to look for those cards. He seemed such a lonely old guy with a just a puppet to keep him company.......Yeah, that's it, I was collecting them for him, that's why I was so obsessed with finding them....for him.

I think what bothered people about the first game was that it seemed a bit like a metagame of the sort that you're describing for this PS2 game--the idea was that Geralt was supposed to seek out as many chicks as he could get in the sack because the player is rewarded with this titillating card and because the character is sterile and immune to disease. It just came across as a bit sleazy.