Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#10051 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

All I got was KOTOR 2 and The Walking Dead. Other than a few games that I am waiting to hit 75% (mostly indies or old games), there isn't much I want. Time to start knocking a few games out of the backlog.

fs_overall.png

#10052 emwearz

emwearz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

I controlled myself this sale and only bought Grimrock from steam (and Skyrim / Spec Ops from GMG), I still have so much I have from past sales and my steam library just hit 250 so I don't need more games.
Sign up to GreenManGaming using this link, spend $2 and you will be credited with $2 to your account!
http://www.greenmang.../?gmgr=gusasuku

#10053 BNoyes

BNoyes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

My biggest pick-up was Skyrim from GMG. I also picked up Civ 5, The Witcher 2, Bastion, Legend of Grimrock, Zeno Clash, Titan Quest Gold, Universe Sandbox, Intrusion 2, Beat Hazard Complete, Dear Esther, Waves, and Psychonauts. Pretty sure the whole haul was about $50. The only game I wanted that didn't go on sale was FTL. I can wait until the winter sale.

#10054 Triggerhappy14

Triggerhappy14

Hey, what's going on?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

A lot of the sales for me seemed lackluster or I just knew they would be lower/equal during the winter sale, so I figured I'd wait and I picked up nothing. I still have to go through 2/3 of Viking Battle For Asgard and am a little more than halfway through my second playthrough of Binary Domain. Those plus Planetside 2 and GW2 along with LoL will keep me busy until the winter sale.

#10055 Killbomb

Killbomb

Waiting for Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Picked up Cursed Crusade for $6 after I made my haul post. It seems decent but so many cutscenes!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10056 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Defense Grid: The Awakening and DLC $3.99

Excellent game! They've got some new DLC coming out in the beginning of the year and I'm eagerly anticipating it as I've 100%'ed the game.

OK, my BF Week haul (from various vendors):

So, yeah...I basically had little in the PC collection prior to October. I'm thinking between Halloween, BF, and the upcoming winter holiday sales, I should be good until this time next year.

You look like the perfect candidate to check out some of the publisher packs they heavily discount during the big sales. Anyone with few games in them will find they can be a tremendous value.

76561197971332172.png

#10057 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

You look like the perfect candidate to check out some of the publisher packs they heavily discount during the big sales. Anyone with few games in them will find they can be a tremendous value.

Any publishers you'd recommend? Coming from console gaming, I've mainly only followed AAA games, so my PC diversity is a bit rusty. I'm typically an action-RPG or atmospheric shooter type player, but I keep my mind open to other genres. A good game is a good game.

#10058 chaosking121

chaosking121

Hoarder Of Games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

Any publishers you'd recommend? Coming from console gaming, I've mainly only followed AAA games, so my PC diversity is a bit rusty. I'm typically an action-RPG or atmospheric shooter type player, but I keep my mind open to other genres. A good game is a good game.

Firstly its worth mentioning the Indie bundles that offer a great value on some more obscure games. Bastion sort of fits your action RPG liking so you should check it out, although it's not likely to be in any indie bundles anytime soon :(

As for publishers, it sounds like you'd enjoy the stuff from Bethesda (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim) and from 2K (Bioshock, Borderlands as well if I recall correctly). Valve also has invested a lot into PC game development, with the Portal, Half Life and Left 4 Dead series all being wonderful games, so maybe you could check out their pack as well.

Hope this helped!

#10059 Jonbo298

Jonbo298

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

With the recent steam sale, anyone that paid with a Discover card should look at their next statement and possibly call/chat with Customer Service. With the 5% cashback promotion for *all* online purchases, I had the suspicion it wasn't giving me credit for them. I noticed my steam transactions were saying POS Mode Description as Manually Keyed whereas things like Amazon were saying Online. Snippet of the online conversation with them below for validity.

Robert: If you think you are not getting an accurate amount of rewards, I would be happy to check up on that and possibly adjust the rewards if necessary.
Jon: The ones that I'm not 100% sure on getting the accurate amount is the ones that are titled Steampowered.com Bellevue WA since the POS Mode Description says Manually Keyed. Just makes me think that it's not counting as an online transaction
Jon: I assume it is but just the reassurance if possible.
Robert: That sometimes happens as some merchants take the purchase electronically, but finish manually. Steampowered.com is certainly an online purchase though and I would be happy to check on that for you.
Robert: May I please have your full name and zip code so I can access your account?
Jon: XXXXX
Robert: Thank you! Please give me a moment while I research this for you.
Jon: No problem
Robert: Pardon me, I can see the system recognized $X of purchases made on the statement as being either online or at a department store.
Robert: I'm figuring which ones it counted right now...
Robert: One moment more...
Jon: That's fine
Robert: Yes, I think Steampowered was the only one that didn't come up correctly.
Robert: There were other charges on here that were processed online but they all appeared to be calculated correctly.
{snip}
Jon: Is there a way to dispute it or have it looked into further because purchases through Steampowered are online only
Robert: Now as far as the Steampowered.com charges I'll go ahead and adjust the rewards for you myself.
Robert: Expect to see the rewards update show on the coming statement.
Jon: Thanks Robert. You've been of great help to me
Robert: You're welcome!

#10060 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Let's celebrate the end of the Autumn sale with some free games! Please post if you use it :)
Metro 2033: XZF6H-W2XHZ-X5L5A
Posted Image

#10061 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

I only got some Warlock DLC that I missed out on and Ether Vapor for this Steam sale. I should of got the Max Payne 1&2 pack for $2.50 but waited too long. On my list though..

The beauty of steam is, you'll always get another chance. And with most of our backlogs, it's not that big of a deal to wait a bit. And odds are, you may even get it cheaper someday!

I missed a couple of sales this round, but I know I'll get them next time.

My final haul was:
Alan Wake (Gamers Gate misprice) - ~$4.20 (thanks to CheapLikeaFox)
Orcs Must Die 2 Complete! - $6.24 - Steam
Beyond Good and Evil - $2 Ubisoft flash sale
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - $10 Microsoft Flash Sale
Assassins Creed Brotherhood Deluxe - ~$6.10 (Gamers Gate)
Max Payne 3 - ~$9.10 (Gamers Gate)

#10062 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Indie gala 11 is up

Despite the fact that I won't play half the stuff at all, in for $4 because I'm a tool :lol:

#10063 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

Ok...who broke my steam?

#10064 sleeping_lights_on

sleeping_lights_on

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

Half the fun of the sales is diving into this thread and desperately trying to keep up: watching out for the hidden gems and recommendations.

#10065 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Ok...who broke my steam?

Dude, don't tempt me to make the predictable "0 Friends Online" joke - I don't have the energy to look up a Joy Turner (My Name is Earl) "Oh Snap" GIF.

What's Steam doing? "NO CONNECTION," perhaps?

#10066 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Wondering when they'll get around to launching the Humble THQ Bundle -- I had thought the registry entry implied November.

#10067 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Wondering when they'll get around to launching the Humble THQ Bundle -- I had thought the registry entry implied November.

November 31st probably

#10068 NuclearPorkchop

NuclearPorkchop

Herc Mondo's Cousin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Let's celebrate the end of the Autumn sale with some free games! Please post if you use it :)
Metro 2033: XZF6H-W2XHZ-X5L5A

Code taken, and no one claiming they did it :cry:. Appreciate the sharing though.

Currently Playing:
:ps3: MGS Peace Walker HD

:360: n/a
:pc: Hearthstone, Sam & Max S1E04; Spec Ops The Line

Add me on Steam, we'll play games and stuff:

#10069 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Code taken, and no one claiming they did it :cry:. Appreciate the sharing though.

I'll claim I took it, if that helps any. :)

(I didn't, but hey.)

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#10070 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Dude, don't tempt me to make the predictable "0 Friends Online" joke - I don't have the energy to look up a Joy Turner (My Name is Earl) "Oh Snap" GIF.

What's Steam doing? "NO CONNECTION," perhaps?

All is well again

I tried to take it half hour ago, but that's when Steam started acting stupid for me. Guess I'll get it when that THQ humble rolls out.

#10071 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

The beauty of steam is, you'll always get another chance. And with most of our backlogs, it's not that big of a deal to wait a bit. And odds are, you may even get it cheaper someday!

I missed a couple of sales this round, but I know I'll get them next time.

My final haul was:
Alan Wake (Gamers Gate misprice) - ~$4.20 (thanks to CheapLikeaFox)
Orcs Must Die 2 Complete! - $6.24 - Steam
Beyond Good and Evil - $2 Ubisoft flash sale
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - $10 Microsoft Flash Sale
Assassins Creed Brotherhood Deluxe - ~$6.10 (Gamers Gate)
Max Payne 3 - ~$9.10 (Gamers Gate)

What was this?

#10072 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Despite the fact that I won't play half the stuff at all, in for $4 because I'm a tool :lol:

Join a group buy next time

What was this?

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=332731

Got Skyrim & D3 for $10 each already in the TRU sale so I personally didn't miss anything too much (besides The Old Republic CE which I had the chance to get...), nonetheless great sale by MS.
Thought about getting Future Soldier or New Vegas Collection but passed.

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4

#10073 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Not a fan of Super Hexagon. Wasn't on Iphone, not all that good on PC either.

The concept is simple and it should work but it pulses on the screen so much in a way that is disorienting and irritating and, really, it's a "last 5 seconds until you die" game and you can grind at it to make it much longer but I can't imagine why you would want to spend that kind of time on it. It's too simple to demand that much time and too hard to be a minesweeper-tier play every so often game.

Plus, I loved VVVVVV but come the Fuck on, Terry Cavanagh is not a household name because he made one entertaining and slapping his name on some middling survival flash game isn't going to make it a best seller.

Well, it SHOULDN'T.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#10074 Gkage

Gkage

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

What was this?

fufufu, Microsoft posted a 9.99 sale late Friday night/early Saturday morning. Unadvertised, caught everyone off guard who was in the Micro thread at the time. Had a number of great games at 10 (like Skyrim and Diablo 3 and Tekken Tag 2, etc.)...just had to be up to catch it;)

#10075 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

With the recent steam sale, anyone that paid with a Discover card should look at their next statement and possibly call/chat with Customer Service. With the 5% cashback promotion for *all* online purchases, I had the suspicion it wasn't giving me credit for them. I noticed my steam transactions were saying POS Mode Description as Manually Keyed whereas things like Amazon were saying Online. Snippet of the online conversation with them below for validity.

Thanks for posting that or I wouldn't have noticed it at all.

I notice all the charges via Paypal are coming up as "keyed in" as well and I did pay for some Indie bundles and Green Man Gaming stuff with Discover via Paypal.

I can use every cent of those Discover bonuses I can get. When you get $10 worth you can use it to buy an Amazon gift card, or if you are buying something boxed retail and not DD you can always just pay with points.

#10076 Arben

Arben

notArtist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Where are the steam mascot images tucked away this time? I don't see an official group for the autumn sale, but I do like collecting those images for rotating backdrops on my gaming pc.

#10077 OldSlowGamer

OldSlowGamer

Old Slow Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

keep your powder dry for the winter sale.
89994.png

#10078 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

Welp, the Family Feud Collection has been removed from the steam store. And wouldn't you know it, I had it in my cart this morning and almost pulled the trigger on it, but then I decided that I had spent enough money and I would put it on the Holiday sale shopping list.

This comes after spending the entire Autumn sale buying things not based on how much I want to play them right now, but on prioritizing items that I felt were possible candidates to get pulled from the store.

:(

#10079 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

Not a fan of Super Hexagon. Wasn't on Iphone, not all that good on PC either.

The concept is simple and it should work but it pulses on the screen so much in a way that is disorienting and irritating and, really, it's a "last 5 seconds until you die" game and you can grind at it to make it much longer but I can't imagine why you would want to spend that kind of time on it. It's too simple to demand that much time and too hard to be a minesweeper-tier play every so often game.

Plus, I loved VVVVVV but come the Fuck on, Terry Cavanagh is not a household name because he made one entertaining and slapping his name on some middling survival flash game isn't going to make it a best seller.

Well, it SHOULDN'T.

Good review, and I totally see where you're coming from even though I disagree. I absolutely loved Super Hexagon on iOS; it really had that "just one more try" vibe to it, and at times I literally spent an hour or two sitting on my bed right before I sleep without realizing it due to this game. After a while the game becomes muscle memory and you start to realize some of the harder difficulties are actually easier than previous ones due to simpler pattern recognition, even if they come faster.

I can see why some people would be put off by this game, but for some reason it completely hooked me. I honestly don't think I'd want it on Steam / PC though, because half the magic is the fact I can play it anywhere and anytime I want, instead of sitting down at my desk/couch and click-click-clicking. I still think it's worth a shot for people once it's included in the inevitable bundle.
Posted Image

#10080 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Hell no one probably remembers what they bought yet alone play it. :lol:

...yeah, I've never done that

*walks away sheepishly