Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#10261 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

RE: Far Cry 2

Chalk me up as another who didn't like it. I knew I should have liked it. I know I wanted to like it. For some reason I just didn't. I gave it multiple attempts over periods of time and just couldn't settle into it. I don't know if it was the locale, the traveling or what. I wouldn't call it bad by any means. It didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, if anything it was like water and left no taste at all. Though Far Cry 3's gameplay does have me intrigued enough to keep an eye out for it possibly this time next year.

#10262 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

This just seems a bit snobbish. Humble has done e-book and music bundles before; did the indie devs complain about that? I like indie bundles, but in the unlikely event that this helps THQ remain solvent, I'm 100% behind that.

Agreed. And for the record, I've never supported HiB or any other bundle for charity or to support a cause, I do it for cheap games and nothing else...lol

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#10263 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Agreed. And for the record, I've never supported HiB or any other bundle for charity or to support a cause, I do it for cheap games and nothing else...lol

Yeah, I like to pretend that I'm high-minded about it sometimes, but I'm the same way. And you can look at it like this: if THQ is around long enough to release Saints Row 4, that will eventually be on sale at Amazon or Steam sub-$10. :D

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#10264 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

You have exposed yet another strategy for outwitting a cunning, ferocious animal. When being chased by said animal always run towards a crowd! Video games can be educational.

FC2 taught me that 70% of any randomly given anonymous central African nation is made up of white dudes.

#10265 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

BTW, there is a new graphics mod for Dues Ex that just got released...

http://www.rockpaper...-mod-completed/
Posted Image

#10266 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Indie devs aren't very fond of the new Humble Bundle:

That is completely insufferable.

The faster Humble stops being put on this weird cultish pedestal the better.

Stop acting like Jason Rubin shot your dog, which would have been wearing that indie bulletproof vest from Humble, but it was Windows-only and your dog was running Ubuntu.

#10267 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Humble THQ Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Awesome!!! Glad I held off on buying SR3 during the Autumn sale.

EDIT: my hard drive hates me though...
Posted Image

#10268 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

So this begs the question: what SR3 DLC is worthwhile?

#10269 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I did good and stayed away from the Autumn stuff but I feel like the Starks of Winterfell: Winter is coming!! lol

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#10270 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Have the complete SR3 but no other games, so bought myself a $1 bundle and am extremely happy. Felt kind of bad about the now obvious demise of THQ, so I bought a BTA for 5.25 and will give that to my Dad, who is notoriously hard to shop for.

#10271 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

I usually don't even beat the average, but seeing as I have only one of these games, it's worth putting $10 down for this.

fs_overall.png

#10272 ROB64

ROB64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

I think the Shark Attack pack is definitely worth a look.
Posted Image

#10273 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Indie devs aren't very fond of the new Humble Bundle:

They're not doing themselves any favors tweeting like that. Best to leave the dislike over Humble promoting a 'big publisher' bundle to new sites. http://arstechnica.c...nds-reputation/

Bascially, Humble Bundle stepped up to help THQ, since they're on the brink of bankruptcy. It's understandable why they would chose to do it, they're helping a good cause (still), and using their good name (Humble) and goodwill to encourage people to help bail THQ out. This doesn't change my view of Humble Bundle, and I doubt it will most people.

#10274 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

That is awful. Just a warning to anyone buying this, they only give a separate key for Saint's Row The Third.

Why the hell they gave individual keys last bundle and only give one key for six games this bundle is beyond me.

It's to prevent splitting them up and selling them individually. You know a bunch of people are going to be doing this. We're going to see these games much more on the trade front now, which is annoying.

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#10275 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

You don't need any of it. Only the season pass adds content. Everything else is the cosmetic clothes/cars/guns they appear to be (yes, I own a good bit of it). The Shark Gun pretty popular though.

#10276 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

The Season Pass is good on sale, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near retail for it. Everything else is skippable, though it's your discretion as to what guns/vehicles you may be interested in. A lot of people I know really loved the Shark Gun, for instance.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#10277 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

The story DLCs don't seem to have many fans around here, I haven't gotten to them personally. The costume packs seem unnecessary considering the customization you can already do and the price of them.

The shark cannon one gets my vote.

#10278 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

I did Genki Bowl just 'cause it was there. I never finished the clone or movie DLC stories; they just weren't any more interesting than randomly driving around and shooting things.

#10279 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

The three big SR3 dlcs (genki, clone, and the movie one) I found them to be alright. None really stood out to me as must have if you have the game. Of the three I liked the Clone one the best and felt the Genki one was the weakest. The rest of the dlc is mostly cosmetic or just silly items.

#10280 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

You don't need any of it. Only the season pass adds content. Everything else is the cosmetic clothes/cars/guns they appear to be (yes, I own a good bit of it). The Shark Gun pretty popular though.

I need the pimp suit and crazy bumper cars!

@everyone -- thanks for all the replies.

#10281 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

They're not doing themselves any favors tweeting like that. Best to leave the dislike over Humble promoting a 'big publisher' bundle to new sites. http://arstechnica.c...nds-reputation/

Bascially, Humble Bundle stepped up to help THQ, since they're on the brink of bankruptcy. It's understandable why they would chose to do it, they're helping a good cause (still), and using their good name (Humble) and goodwill to encourage people to help bail THQ out. This doesn't change my view of Humble Bundle, and I doubt it will most people.

That article is terrible for making no mention of THQ's extreme financial issues. The comments are just as bad, with people trying to stick it to THQ by donating completely to charity. Sure, it's their decision, but you know those will be the first people to complain when THQ goes out of business wondering where everyone else was to buy their games.

Edit: See below for a good example.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#10282 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

You can get a bunch of non-indie games for as little as a dollar and you are really going to complain about not getting separate keys for them all?

Anyway most of their past Bundles have been like this.

The thing is, the website says "Steam keys for" the six games that are bundled together. "Steam keys" is plural, leading me to believe we'd get individual keys like we did we Android 4.

Humble cancelled my order anyway, since my page doesn't come through anymore. No response or notification of refund. Meh, whatever, I'll just dispute it with Paypal if they don't. I'll just stick with Groupees and Indie Gala and their more expensive, shittier games by comparison, according to the almighty louiedog. Because we all know that Humble is the best. :roll:

#10283 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm playing Endless Space, which is the free weekend title. It reminds me massively of Ascendancy. You know, this game:

Posted Image

Speaking to KaOTiK, he's never heard of it. Am I alone? This game definitely existed, right? :lol:

#10284 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Doesn't really matter -- for every developer that 'boycotts' Humble there will be ten more willing to take their place.

#10285 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

The Shark Attack Pack is a must. A gun that shoots chum at someone and a shark busts out of the ground eating them? win

#10286 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, Shark Attack is the only cosmetic DLC I bought for SRtIII.

I recently bought the season pass but haven't played it.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#10287 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

The thing is, the website says "Steam keys for" the six games that are bundled together. "Steam keys" is plural, leading me to believe we'd get individual keys like we did we Android 4.

Well, if you BTA, then technically you do get steam keys (plural).

#10288 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Shark attack seems to be overwhelmingly popular!

#10289 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Just got this e-mail: Spend $50 at Days Of Wonder eStore, get a Steam key for Ticket To Ride. Good until Dec 6th.

To be honest, it is probably the weakest holiday deal they have done.

http://blog.daysofwo...2-holiday-gift/
Posted Image

#10290 blitztwn36

blitztwn36

hatersgunnahate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I read some interesting comments that I think were pretty spot on - that THQ partaking in this bundle is their attempt to dilute their IPs before any potential creditor takeover.

I'm an accounting geek, so I just took a look at their balance sheet. They have over $100 million in long-term debt (not to mention any of their current payables of another ~$100 million). The money raised from the Humble Bundle is not going to help this company in any tangible way (they do have ~$36 million cash on hand, but obviously doesn't compare to their obligations).

So in short, I agree - THQ is not doing this for money. It's two fold. Try and get their IPs out there to either raise awareness for their brands and try and hit a home-run or two in the near future, and at the same time, dilute those IPs so that if a creditor takes over the company, they won't be able to sell the games profitably since most people will already own the games from this and other cheap sales.