Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#10741 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Patience rewarded. Bought the Dreamcast pack. Of course, having a perfectly good Dreamcast connected to the TV all this time helped me to resist previous deals, but at a dollar a game I don't mind adding these to my Steam library.

I love Jet Set/Grind Radio.

Edit: Oh nice, another $5 promotional credit for January. Wasn't expecting that.

Edited by DPsycho, 02 December 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#10742 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Good to hear. I passed on their deal on BF because of the non-Steam (and heavy DRM) of the pack.

same. I needed that Streets of Rage 2 on Steam

I'll just leave this here

Dikembe Mutombos 4 1/2 weeks to save the world

still can't forgive Deke for misuing the money he earned from his charitable foundation. *finger wag*

I messaged a Mod once about the deal with no indie bundle trading. never got a full response back

& lol @ BGCQ. a group inside of a group

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#10743 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Is anyone else having a problem logging into Steamgifts? When I sign in through Steam and it sends me back to SG it still needs me to sign in. Tried it on 3 different browsers and same thing one each.

#10744 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Is anyone else having a problem logging into Steamgifts? When I sign in through Steam and it sends me back to SG it still needs me to sign in. Tried it on 3 different browsers and same thing one each.

Yes, same deal here.

#10745 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Patience rewarded. Bought the Dreamcast pack. Of course, having a perfectly good Dreamcast connected to the TV all this time helped me to resist previous deals, but at a dollar a game I don't mind adding these to my Steam library.

I love Jet Set/Grind Radio.

Yeah, I resisted when I saw the original bundle had DRM issues. Funny tho the review in the new bundle getting all butthurt over Steam keys. I guess you can't satisfy everyone.

Edit: Oh nice, another $5 promotional credit for January. Wasn't expecting that.

Yeah, that deal goes on until Christmas. Not sure I'll get to use all the credit in January, but it is nice to have the option.
Posted Image

#10746 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Wow. Sega Bass Fishing is fun.

Might have to get that Dreamcast pack. But just got the Genesis Collection :applause:
Sega Smash Pack on Dreamcast <3 always played co-op at a friend's house

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#10747 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Wait, so the madantory yet unspoken rule about owning Coconut Queen is no longer in effect?
Also, send Motoki another invite. pwetty pwese.

Wait. I thought the rule was 100 hours logged on Coconut Queen.

#10748 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Yeah, I resisted when I saw the original bundle had DRM issues. Funny tho the review in the new bundle getting all butthurt over Steam keys. I guess you can't satisfy everyone.

That's actually how I try and figure out if a game is Steam or not in the many cases (though they are getting better) when Amazon doesn't list it. If it's steam, someone somewhere is going to get into a huge rage about it and write an angry 1 star review.

In this case it was even listed on the page, though they probably should do a better job about making that sort of thing front and center. Still doesn't excuse people from needing to read the info on the page or research what form of DRM/Client etc a digital game uses BEFORE the buy it.

#10749 Armaly

Armaly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Off on a tangent...I figured I'd give Far Cry 2 another go as GG has it for $2.99 (Fortune Edition). Don't know if it has been cheaper, but it's low enough for me to try it one last time. Far Cry is also $2.99 or get them bothe for $4.99.

Do they both give you steam keys?

#10750 Frithsblessing

Frithsblessing

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Just finished The Walking Dead. It delivered in all areas (except an adequate save feature). I'm usually not a fan of adventure games, because the pacing drives me batshit crazy. The Walking Dead was so intense and moved so fast that I had to walk away from it a few times. All the hyperbole that has been spewed in this thread about it is true- the game is a true gem.
Posted Image

#10751 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Also just got the PowerA AirFlo wired 360 controller for $20 @ TRU as an extra controller and it worked instantly with the PC. recommended

Posted Image

#10752 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Also just got the PowerA AirFlo wired 360 controller for $20 @ TRU as an extra controller and it worked instantly with the PC. recommended

I have this, and used it to play Amalur a couple weekends back. My thumbs hurt from using it for some reason, which has never happened with other controllers.

I also haven't gotten Linux to recognize it by using drivers for the official 360 controllers. It does work in Windows 8 though.

#10753 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I have this, and used it to play Amalur a couple weekends back. My thumbs hurt from using it for some reason, which has never happened with other controllers.

I also haven't gotten Linux to recognize it by using drivers for the official 360 controllers. It does work in Windows 8 though.

I'll have to try it on KoA. I only tried it on NBA 2K13 so far which is the main game I play when I have my boys over. Worked pretty well and like the feel, look, etc. I think the range of the thumbsticks is extended more than the OG 360 controller so that's probably why. The extra grip on the thumbsticks is nice tho.

When I plugged it into Windows 7 is just used the drivers for the official 360 controller too.

Posted Image

#10754 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

So does the Dreamcast pack throw out the securom drm in favor of Steam, or just overlay Steam on the securom?

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#10755 zubalove

zubalove

Old and In the Way

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Anyone else playing Endless Space this weekend? Not a bad game. What's the strike price on this? $10? How long to wait until it hits $5?

#10756 Captain Urahara

Captain Urahara

Drop Dead Fred

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Just finished The Walking Dead. It delivered in all areas (except an adequate save feature). I'm usually not a fan of adventure games, because the pacing drives me batshit crazy. The Walking Dead was so intense and moved so fast that I had to walk away from it a few times. All the hyperbole that has been spewed in this thread about it is true- the game is a true gem.

There were a few times throughout the episodes where I had to put the controller down and walk away for a few moments. Pretty much at least once per episode I had to just because I was stunned.

Amazing damn game and very, very worthy of GOTY status.

#10757 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Walking Dead is good, but I felt the last 2/3rds of episode 3 were kinda drawn out and just chores. I loved the rest, looking forward to the next game. I hate adventure games, so this is a huge exception. Looks like I spent 13 hours on the whole thing, not bad.

#10758 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I know I will be crucified here for this opinion but while the Walking Dead had an excellent story, as a 'game' (even as an adventure game) it was mediocre to poor. The puzzles were insultingly easy so with that and ignoring the derpy QTE's and aiming/attack vignettes it basically stands on the merits of its dialogue and story outcome variations. But, that's pretty much par for the course with Telltale these days. They've basically turned adventure games into interactive serialized movies/miniseries.

#10759 chapnis

chapnis

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

I don't know anything about any of the games in either the Dreamcast or Sega Genesis packs? Are they still both worth picking up?

#10760 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Walking Dead is good, but I felt the last 2/3rds of episode 3 were kinda drawn out and just chores. I loved the rest, looking forward to the next game. I hate adventure games, so this is a huge exception. Looks like I spent 13 hours on the whole thing, not bad.

I'm hoping it goes on sale again in January on Amazon, so I can use my $5 promo code on it.

#10761 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

So does the Dreamcast pack throw out the securom drm in favor of Steam, or just overlay Steam on the securom?

Supposedly, just Steam and no Securom.

http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=1783810

#10762 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

I know I will be crucified here for this opinion but while the Walking Dead had an excellent story, as a 'game' (even as an adventure game) it was mediocre to poor. The puzzles were insultingly easy so with that and ignoring the derpy QTE's and aiming/attack vignettes it basically stands on the merits of its dialogue and story outcome variations. But, that's pretty much par for the course with Telltale these days. They've basically turned adventure games into interactive serialized movies/miniseries.

I"d rather have boring/simple mechanics with an incredibly engaging story and real pathos than frustrating puzzles and cheesy dialogue any day, but that's just me. Actually, it's probably not just me at all.
Posted Image

#10763 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I"d rather have boring/simple mechanics with an incredibly engaging story and real pathos than frustrating puzzles and cheesy dialogue any day, but that's just me. Actually, it's probably not just me at all.

You say that as if they are mutually exclusive -- no reason you can't have both.

#10764 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I own Vessel. How do I own Vessel? Did it come with some bundle?

#10765 Captain Urahara

Captain Urahara

Drop Dead Fred

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I own Vessel. How do I own Vessel? Did it come with some bundle?

Humble Bundle 6

#10766 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Impressive! ;)

#10767 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Would anyone be interested in just the first four sega genesis packs? I'm only missing the fifth.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#10768 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

You couldn't talk me out of Dynamite Headdy, no sir.

Speaking of which, what's this Sonic Adventure DX Steam key worth? Could I get $1 for it or is it going to have to be a trivia giveaway?

#10769 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

You say that as if they are mutually exclusive -- no reason you can't have both.

Hehe I agree that I'd prefer both in a perfect world, but I find it hard to think of games that excelled in both narrative AND gameplay. I agree with radioactive in that, if I were given a choice, I prefer deep, compelling story with shallow game mechanics than vice versa. And I'm not talking about "confusing story with tons of red herrings and plot holes" like Heavy Rain.

What are some examples of games where narrative and gameplay meet harmoniously? Portal 2 and RDR come close for me, but honestly I prefer the narrative of TWD more than either of those games. 15-20 years ago I would have pointed at FF4 and FF6, but I think I desire something less sophomoric than that now.

I feel like I lean towards games with excellent open world mechanics and audiovisual presentation, as long as they have fun stories that don't take themselves too seriously (SRTT, Sleeping Dogs), but I wouldn't say they have remarkable narrative.

I actually have soft spot for the story, characters and gameplay of Shadow Hearts: Covenant, but I am probably in a very small minority here.
Posted Image

#10770 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

RDR's narrative? Good? eh... I'll agree to disagree if you will.

To me, any game can have a good plot. I thought Absolution's story was endlessly entertaining for a B-movie. With great acting and good enough writing in a wrestling heel sense. Lollipop Chainsaw is entertaining as I walk along. Spec Ops The Line, too. Ghost Trick had hands down one of the best plots I think I've ever seen in gaming. System Shock 2, Bioshock 1, 2, and Minerva's Den... I won't pretend that my favorites are all platonic ideals, avoiding cheesy poignance and heart string plucking but I think there are lots of games that have good stories and good gameplay.

If you're looking to "blend" the two then you need to think really, REALLY hard about what you are asking. That's not a simple question and often involves you staring at the screen yawning for far too long while the game bleats simple, unimpressive truisms at you (Oh hi MGS2 and Max Payne 3.).

And I'd rather have awful plot and great mechanics than any alternative. Give me a one shump and that outweighs a thousand of your crummy dating sim VNs. (Okay at this line I'm full into trolling. I can't help it.)
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.