Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#10771 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I know I'm in the minority that I care about the gameplay the most. Some of my favorite games have little to no story, or horrible stories.

Dungeon crawlers, SRPGs, Puzzle Quest, Layton games, etc. all have little or bad stories.

A couple other games with both are StarCraft+BW, and Bioshock 1.

elessar123.png

#10772 TommyLove

TommyLove

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I know I'm in the minority that I care about the gameplay the most. Some of my favorite games have little to no story, or horrible stories.

Dungeon crawlers, SRPGs, Puzzle Quest, Layton games, etc. all have little or bad stories.

A couple other games with both are StarCraft+BW, and Bioshock 1.

Personally, I think the Starcraft story is great and the game play...they have already stole 9 years of my life.
My collection and trade-list:
H: The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Historia LE in Mint condition W: equal value in trades or amazon/eBay prices
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=330790
My game plays:
http://www.youtube.com/tommylovehd
Posted Image

#10773 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

I'm hoping it goes on sale again in January on Amazon, so I can use my $5 promo code on it.

I've been waiting for a good price too, I finally picked it up a month ago for $11.50 and feel that was a good price, saw it for $9ish soon after but I have no regrets.

#10774 zenii

zenii

cynical sam

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

I"d rather have boring/simple mechanics with an incredibly engaging story and real pathos than frustrating puzzles and cheesy dialogue any day, but that's just me. Actually, it's probably not just me at all.

Your statement is suggesting that the opposite of boring/simple mechanics are frustrating puzzles. Which, and I'm sure you'll agree with me here, is absolutely not the case. Also this topic reminds me of Pure Pwnage's parody of Zero Punctuation.

#10775 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

Oh man, what have a I launched?!?! I was mostly just talking about adventure games. I do agree, though, that today you rarely see games that have both good narratives and 'gameplay' in the form of puzzles, etc. I don't think Telltale stuff is bad, just a far cry from what LucasArts once was. More recently Wadjet Eye makes some pretty solid stuff, too.

#10776 zenii

zenii

cynical sam

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

On another note, why is gameplay always referred to in terms of "puzzles"? (I blame Portal for the new obsession with "physics puzzles") I don't remember any puzzles in pacman or super mario bros, and yet both were very fun to play.

#10777 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

On another note, why is gameplay always referred to in terms of "puzzles"? (I blame Portal for the new obsession with "physics puzzles") I don't remember any puzzles in pacman or super mario bros, and yet both were very fun to play.

Uh, it's not? I've rarely heard that outside of conversations about specific genres like point and click adventures.

#10778 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

I thought I remembered someone posting a link to some sort of organizing database software for keeping track of owned games. Looking through my bookmarks, however, I don't see anything of the sort.

Am I imagining this? If I am, does anyone have any ideas outside of a spreadsheet file for keeping tracks of what games, keys and whatnot I have and where I have them?

#10779 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Eeep! I just noticed in the Steam Hardware Survey that DX11 is taking over, 53% now, DX10 is down to 32%. <clutches GTX 260>

Spoiler

We're a minority? Damnit.

Pure Pwnage's parody of Zero Punctuation.[/URL]

+1

#10780 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I was wondering. Is a new thread going to be made before the winter sale? Or will we ride this one out and make a new one post winter sale?

#10781 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I thought I remembered someone posting a link to some sort of organizing database software for keeping track of owned games. Looking through my bookmarks, however, I don't see anything of the sort.

Am I imagining this? If I am, does anyone have any ideas outside of a spreadsheet file for keeping tracks of what games, keys and whatnot I have and where I have them?

http://www.datacrow.net/

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#10782 bubzers

bubzers

Derpy Derpy Doo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

I resorted to an Access database. Lame and nerdy, but highly functional.

Edited by bubzers, 03 December 2012 - 01:50 AM.

76561198025510545.png

#10783 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

That was what I had bookmarked. I probably should organize those, too.

Thanks.

#10784 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Eeep! I just noticed in the Steam Hardware Survey that DX11 is taking over, 53% now, DX10 is down to 32%. <clutches GTX 260>

I think the big takeaway is that people still have a monitor resolution of 640x480.

#10785 TheGuardianWolf

TheGuardianWolf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

Any chance Scribblenauts Unlimited will go on sale during the winter sale? I know it's pretty new...

#10786 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

I think the big takeaway is that people still have a monitor resolution of 640x480.

Wait what? My phone has a higher resolution than that.

#10787 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Multimonitor resolutions.

4096 x 1152
0.07%

Hell yea I'm not alone!

#10788 Hardin

Hardin

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

As a gamer, The Walking Dead interactive movies are offensive to me. As a guy who enjoys mild horror and high-stress situations (which are probably the easiest "plots" to write) though I enjoy the series...on youtube.

#10789 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

I was wondering. Is a new thread going to be made before the winter sale? Or will we ride this one out and make a new one post winter sale?

Thread title points to the former.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#10790 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

Nothing here has to do with what's legally binding and what is not.

Humble has clearly stated that they don't want people breaking apart bundle keys to give away.

CAG moderators have clearly stated that Humble has clearly said they don't want people breaking apart bundle keys to give away, so don't do it here.

That's it. End of story. We're respecting Humble's wishes and respecting the policies of this forum. Whinging about it or looking for loopholes doesn't change both Humble and CAG's policies are clear.

Just because someone does not happen to agree with something does not mean they are "whinging". I'm sorry if you perceived it that way. The topic bounced around the Stream Trading topic and roughly 90% of everyone agreed that the rule is outdated and needs to be looked at.

I understand your view on it though. I respect that. Either way, Trakan and I exchanged some PMs, he said he was going to bring it up to the mods, and today the rule has been changed and I'm sure a lot of people are grateful to be able to trade HIBs again.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#10791 zenii

zenii

cynical sam

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

Uh, it's not? I've rarely heard that outside of conversations about specific genres like point and click adventures.

True that, I guess the reason I never took a liking to point and click adventure games was because the only "gameplay" involved were arbitrary puzzles that didn't really test skill but your ability to put 2 and 2 together.

#10792 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

I must stay the primary display resolution stats surprise me.
0.2% - 1024x600 ...most netbooks (and my 1996 laptop)
4.1% - 1024x768 ...I was running 1280x1024 in '94. (and my PowerBook used 2000-2003)
4.3% - 1280x800 ...slightly older laptops
9.3% - 1280x1024 ...old monitors (I'm really suprised it's this high)
2.4% - 1360x768 ...misconfigured laptops/ low end TVs
18.7% - 1366x768 ...laptops/ low end TVs
6.9% - 1440x900 ...nicer laptops / really low end monitors
7.3% - 1600x900 ...few laptops / really low end monitors (I'm suprised it's almost half as much as 1366x768)
0.4% - 1600x1200 ...19" 20" CRTs and some 10-13 year old LCDs
9.6% - 1680x1050 ...bog standard resolution for monitors 2004-2010, kinda surprised it's this low, esp in relation to 1280x1024
29.5% - 1920x1080 ...standard monitor/TV I'm kinda suprised it isn't higher (esp in relation)
3.5% - 1920x1200 ...nice 24" monitors (it's what I run) / old 27" -- disappointingly low but these command a premium
0.8% - 2560x1440 ...nice 27" monitors, requires at least a GTX 670 to run new games well
0.2% - 2560x1600 ...30" monitors

Edited by asheskitty, 03 December 2012 - 02:40 AM.

#10793 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

I am the 0.8%! That doesn't have quite the ring to it that 1% does.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#10794 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

True that, I guess the reason I never took a liking to point and click adventure games was because the only "gameplay" involved were arbitrary puzzles that didn't really test skill but your ability to put 2 and 2 together.

I usually agree with exactly that. It takes a really good story or good gameplay as well to turn me (for example, Fahrenheit, or Portal).

I think I'll usually take gameplay over story anyways. I haven't found stories these days that capture my imagination like games like Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy Tactics did in the past anyways.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#10795 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

3.5% here
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10796 akmgmer

akmgmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Any chance Scribblenauts Unlimited will go on sale during the winter sale? I know it's pretty new...

There is always a chance, might see a 33% discount max though since it is fairly new. I wouldn't mind playing that game but I might wait a while on it.

76561197977258746.pngAddFriend.png 

Spoiler

#10797 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

Regarding Scribblenauts Unlimited, Greenmangaming is supposed to get it but just haven't got it live on their site yet. It's possible they may extend the 30% voucher a little longer and put up Scribblenauts soon but who knows?

I do agree that a huge discount on the Steam winter sale is highly unlikely but a 20-33% one is quite possible.

I almost bought it pre-release at Gamersgate because with the IGN discount (may it Rest In Peace), G2PO and blue coins plus the 10% pre-release discount they were running it broughtit down to about $20 or 33ish% off.

Then I realized that was too much to pay for something that would likely sit in my backlog for a while. :-P

I feel like both Adventure games and Visual Novels are generally first and foremost telling a story but that the main difference is that Adventure games still try really hard to hold onto a 'gamey' aspect, even if it doesn't fit really well or make much sense, or is super easy and just there, while visual novels just don't even try but aren't afraid to add little gamey elements here and there if it fits.

OTOH I think there are some Adventure games, like the Big Fish variety, that really are more about the gamey portion, the point and click and all that, and the stories just seem like window dressing.

Anyway, visual novels are a fairly new concept, at least in the West. I think here there's some resistance to it where they are met with the 'But it's not a game!' argument so for that reason plus tradition I think those Euro Adventure games still hold onto the whole point and click and puzzles and what not.

At least that's my take on it. I actually do like adventure games but I mostly play them for the stories so sometimes the gameplay elements leave me scratching my head on how that makes sense in the narrative or just makes me feel like it's there as a time waster.

Edited by Motoki, 03 December 2012 - 02:58 AM.

#10798 janlazer

janlazer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

any tips on how to use this to sort between steam, origin,etc?

#10799 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

I am the 0.8%! That doesn't have quite the ring to it that 1% does.

What are you using, Sarah Jessica Parker's teeth?
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#10800 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Eschalon: Book I 6YHLV-6VAQI-0RPLZ
Ceville 8EQXI-NW3Y8-LJR37

Enjoy...