Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#10801 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

RDR's narrative? Good? eh... I'll agree to disagree if you will.

To me, any game can have a good plot. I thought Absolution's story was endlessly entertaining for a B-movie. With great acting and good enough writing in a wrestling heel sense. Lollipop Chainsaw is entertaining as I walk along. Spec Ops The Line, too. Ghost Trick had hands down one of the best plots I think I've ever seen in gaming. System Shock 2, Bioshock 1, 2, and Minerva's Den... I won't pretend that my favorites are all platonic ideals, avoiding cheesy poignance and heart string plucking but I think there are lots of games that have good stories and good gameplay.

If you're looking to "blend" the two then you need to think really, REALLY hard about what you are asking. That's not a simple question and often involves you staring at the screen yawning for far too long while the game bleats simple, unimpressive truisms at you (Oh hi MGS2 and Max Payne 3.).

And I'd rather have awful plot and great mechanics than any alternative. Give me a one shump and that outweighs a thousand of your crummy dating sim VNs. (Okay at this line I'm full into trolling. I can't help it.)

Haha, yeah I know that you don't like the story in RDR, but I thought it was the best story I had played in an open world game at the time, so I guess it has a special place in my heart. Since then, I think I prefer the ridiculousness of SRTT better anyway...

I do not count MGS2 or Max Payne 3 as good blends; I hate having story crammed down my throat, especially when I despise the characters and the overall cheeseball plot. I think my biggest pet peeves are stories that take themselves too seriously but are full of ridiculous situations and plot holes (like Heavy Rain and MGS3), though this may be ironic for you since I think that's how you feel about RDR.

Ghost Trick is an excellent example. This was my surprise favorite hit last year, and I agree it has an excellent mix of unique, challenging gameplay with a great narrative. Bioshock is another good example... why didn't I remember that one...

I'm able to overlook bad narratives sometimes if the gameplay is good enough, but there's something about pandering games like Bayonetta and Lollipop Chainsaw that I can't enjoy (even though I completed Bayonetta, I had to eventually start skipping all the stupid cutscenes). I prefer games with good narrative and acceptable gameplay, but I do admit I don't play a ton of adventure games since I find most of the puzzles rather obtuse and the barrier to entry quite high. Some may bemoan the simplicity of TWD, but it allowed my wife and I to focus on just making dialogue choices and enjoying the story :)
Posted Image

#10802 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

Eschalon: Book I 6YHLV-6VAQI-0RPLZ
Ceville 8EQXI-NW3Y8-LJR37

Enjoy...

Ceville was taken within a minute of your post. Thanks though!

MARS

#10803 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

Eschalon: Book I 6YHLV-6VAQI-0RPLZ
Ceville 8EQXI-NW3Y8-LJR37

Enjoy...

I grabbed Eschalon, thanks much! :)

I was really on the fence about this Groupees bundle since I already had Ceville, Two Worlds and Worms Reloaded. Eschalon was the main one I wanted.

#10804 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

...and more.

Worms Reloaded 6Z53N-FRTI8-DRPNI
Earth 2160 3XQQD-86DP5-G7735

#10805 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

...and more.

Snagged Worms. Thanks! It was the one title I was actually wanted from BM6. (owned/don't care about the rest).

#10806 Fluxy

Fluxy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

...and more.

wouldve taken it but already got it from the bundle. thanks for the contribution tho XD

#10807 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

...and more.

Got Earth 2160, thanks.

#10808 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

I thought I remembered someone posting a link to some sort of organizing database software for keeping track of owned games. Looking through my bookmarks, however, I don't see anything of the sort.

Am I imagining this? If I am, does anyone have any ideas outside of a spreadsheet file for keeping tracks of what games, keys and whatnot I have and where I have them?

I honestly just have an Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my game purchases each month. I feel bad everytime I look at the monthly total lol

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#10809 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Wow, 3 of 4 keys snagged by thread regulars, and only 1 lurked. Good Timing!

#10810 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

3.5% here

High five! Not as good for 16:9 movies and TV, but better for everything else! :bouncy::bouncy:

#10811 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

I honestly just have an Excel spreadsheet...

I do the same thing. It's just easier for me since I don't have like a thousand games. I even include genre so that I can pie chart the data to see how my preferences change over time. Though with my movie collection I use DVDProfiler and do sometimes wish there was a game parallel as it's simple to use and graphically pleasant (and there's an iPad app to boot).

#10812 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

I honestly just have an Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my game purchases each month. I feel bad everytime I look at the monthly total lol

Every single time I have looked at your avatar, I've seen a crazy robot.

Just now did I realize it's an NBA player.

-feels stupid-

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#10813 Fluxy

Fluxy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

-feels stupid-

it does lookl like a transformer or gundam XD

#10814 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

I use the CAG collection feature as well as a folder of text files. Back when I started my lists, text files were the most useful option since I could access them through a GBA with a CompactFlash card reader while out at flea markets. I've never bothered to reproduce them in a more modern format.

#10815 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

-feels stupid-

Damnit! You just had to point that out. I liked the robot, but now I see the NBA player.

#10816 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:37 AM

-feels stupid-

I could always tell it was Dwayne Wade from the jersey, but now that you mention it, I'm really trying to see the robot instead. I'm a Celtics fan...

#10817 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

-feels stupid-

Wow... I thought I was the only one!

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

3687091.png76561197965577424.png

#10818 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Wow... I thought I was the only one!

shit me too....its ruined for me now

#10819 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

High five! Not as good for 16:9 movies and TV, but better for everything else! :bouncy::bouncy:

Back at ya! I use my monitor just for gaming pretty much. :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10820 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

For keeping track of my game collection I use this site: http://vgcollect.com

The key vital feature here is that you can submit a game and it's immediately available to add to your collection. Every other site I've tried either made it difficult to submit games or took literally months to approve a submission.

#10821 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

http://www.cheapassg...line=1303966808 = https://encrypted-tb...Uc0OD7zhiE1pKUp ?

#10822 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/image.php?u=314625&dateline=1303966808 = https://encrypted-tb...Uc0OD7zhiE1pKUp ?

Exactly. That's what I saw, I just thought actually saying "I thought it was Zero." would be too nerdy. ;)

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#10823 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

Regulars on a cheapass computer gaming thread worried about seeming too nerdy! :lol:

#10824 Captain Urahara

Captain Urahara

Praise The Sun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:56 AM

Regulars on a cheapass computer gaming thread worried about seeming too nerdy! :lol:

This! :lol:

#10825 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

I try to keep it to a minimum sometimes. Lest the nerdiness swallow up my soul. :hot:

bZ2g3eF.png

#10826 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

where's the percentage of users using a 37 inch tv as a monitor? At least ya'll have a percentage, I'm 0. :)

Found this on there too and instantly thought WTF?

Total Hard Drive Space
250 GB to 499 GB
34.23%
-0.41%

Posted Image
Less than 10 GB
0.00%
0.00%

Posted Image
10 GB to 99 GB
2.15%
-0.10%

Posted Image
100 GB to 249 GB
12.08%
-0.93%

Posted Image
250 GB to 499 GB
34.23%
-0.41%

Posted Image
500 GB to 749 GB
12.90%
-0.11%

Posted Image
750 GB to 999 GB
15.97%
+0.37%

Posted Image
Above 1 TB
22.65%
+1.18%
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#10827 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

Eeep! I just noticed in the Steam Hardware Survey that DX11 is taking over, 53% now, DX10 is down to 32%. <clutches GTX 260>

We're a minority? Damnit.

+1

Given that Win Vista, Win 7, and Win 8 all support DX11.0 - yep, this doesn't surprise me...

#10828 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

where's the percentage of users using a 37 inch tv as a monitor? At least ya'll have a percentage, I'm 0. :)

29.5% ...you're lumped in with everyone else at "Full HD"

#10829 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

0.4% - 1600x1200 ...19" 20" CRTs and some 10-13 year old LCDs

Heh. That's me, and my LCD might very well be a decade old. Thinking about upgrading, but the WS form factor doesn't quite work as well on my desk.

Funny talking about stories in games, but I do happen to find it to be important to me. Certainly most of it is B-level stuff, but it all moves things around and gives me more incentive to find out what happens next. Certainly gameplay is important as well, but when I like the story (like as in To The Moon, where gameplay is minimal at best), I can put up with lesser gameplay.

But, the other way around, a crummy story can turn me off to a game with solid gameplay. For example, Bayonetta, where the "story" really gets in the way of my enjoyment of the gameplay, and I haven't picked it up in a long time.
Posted Image

#10830 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

I do the same thing. It's just easier for me since I don't have like a thousand games. I even include genre so that I can pie chart the data to see how my preferences change over time. Though with my movie collection I use DVDProfiler and do sometimes wish there was a game parallel as it's simple to use and graphically pleasant (and there's an iPad app to boot).

That's dope lol, seeing buying trends by genre is a good idea. I have everything is listed by date too so its pretty nice to see my buying habits. The other for me is music, which I just have a ton of folders.

-feels stupid-

:lol: wow I didn't think someone would actually comment on the avy, but cool. Yeah it's Dwyane Wade (y before the a Blade ;) Celtics :roll:)

Robots & Zero are cool tho, even if I can't see it lol. I need to change to my Steam pic now my avy has been used in a post, endin' my streak I thought would never have ended. Steam pic will definitely be used alot if I make it my avy haha

also San Andreas is a horrible port.

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery