Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#11191 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

Is that part of a bundle somewhere?

Green Man Gaming perhaps?

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing any sales on wood-burning stove. That's a Steam code, though, right?

Definitely not on sale, but it was build-my-own-bundle.

#11192 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

i bit on afterfall inasanity. i'll post up impressions later lol
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11193 Leumas Krap

Leumas Krap

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

i bit on afterfall inasanity. i'll post up impressions later lol

please do, very interested in that game

#11194 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Random question: Does anyone remember a TV show from maybe around 1990? It was sci-fi, good guys bad guys stuff, robots and small space ships (think X-wing). The main hook though was characters and various enemy turrets had metallic iridescent panels on them that you could shoot as the show played. So if you had the toy of the space fighter it doubled as a pistol and when you took enough shots from enemies on TV (!) it would eject your pilot.

It was a pretty cool concept and I'd love to know what it was. Double Fine's Autonomous project brought this to mind.

#11195 janlazer

janlazer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

Random question: Does anyone remember a TV show from maybe around 1990? It was sci-fi, good guys bad guys stuff, robots and small space ships (think X-wing). The main hook though was characters and various enemy turrets had metallic iridescent panels on them that you could shoot as the show played. So if you had the toy of the space fighter it doubled as a pistol and when you took enough shots from enemies on TV (!) it would eject your pilot.

It was a pretty cool concept and I'd love to know what it was.

Captain Power, I believe.

#11196 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

Spoiler
Too bad Dragon Age 2 isn't on Steam anymore because that is one of the most glaring examples of the huge disconnect the professional and user scores on Metacritic can have.

Diablo 3 is better example, though the gap has closed, 88 to 3.8. DA2 is 82 to 4.2. Disparity of 10% is often interesting.

I'm still puzzled (and full of nerd-rage) over the fact that Torchlight 2 hasn't been listed in the "Current PC Games" column on the right side while they list less significant "indie" games, e.g. Krater or Tiny & Big.

I probably find metacritic more useful than most, but it's probably because of my reading skillz. Read a high, mid, and low rated review to get a bigger picture, so the same for a few user comments. I also tend to like to read reviews on theguardian.co.uk or reghardware.com (part of theregister.com) to get a review outside the "games journalism industrial complex."

#11197 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Diablo 3 is better example, though the gap has closed, 88 to 3.8. DA2 is 82 to 4.2. Disparity of 10% is often interesting.

I'm still puzzled (and full of nerd-rage) over the fact that Torchlight 2 hasn't been listed in the "Current PC Games" column on the right side while they list less significant "indie" games, e.g. Krater or Tiny & Big.

I probably find metacritic more useful than most, but it's probably because of my reading skillz. Read a high, mid, and low rated review to get a bigger picture, so the same for a few user comments. I also tend to like to read reviews on theguardian.co.uk or reghardware.com (part of theregister.com) to get a review outside the "games journalism industrial complex."

I honestly think that Diablo 3 is a worse example because a large portion of the audience wasn't complaining about gameplay, but rather down-rating massively based on DRM and the presence of the RMAH. Neither of which I honestly give a shit about.

I understand that the game was also disappointing for many based on its gameplay, but the user score wouldn't have been NEARLY that low had it been based on reasonable people giving scores that properly reflected their feelings of the game (guessing it would have been in the 5-7 range then) rather than knee-jerk 0-point ratings based on some of Blizzard's dumb moves surrounding it.

#11198 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

I honestly think that Diablo 3 is a worse example because a large portion of the audience wasn't complaining about gameplay, but rather down-rating massively based on DRM and the presence of the RMAH. Neither of which I honestly give a shit about.

I understand that the game was also disappointing for many based on its gameplay, but the user score wouldn't have been NEARLY that low had it been based on reasonable people giving scores that properly reflected their feelings of the game (guessing it would have been in the 5-7 range then) rather than knee-jerk 0-point ratings based on some of Blizzard's dumb moves surrounding it.

In terms of actual opinion, I agree. I was just highlighting point-split. Actually early bulk of user downrating was due to fucking ridiculous server download that people couldn't play during. It's not like they'd have gained any experience with that in 7.5 years of running WoW servers. The RMAH didn't go live for over a month, iirc.

#11199 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

That's not a problem with game reviews, it's an issue with aggregates.

But the aggregates are based on reviews and so many sites, especially Steam since they don't allow user reviews period, are leaning way too heavily on Metacritic. As far as I am concerned it's still a problem with the reviews and also in which ones metacritics deems worthy and 'professional'.

Personally, I think in this day and age with as networked and connected as we are the idea of a 'professional' review when it comes to games seems very silly to me. I don't think those people's opinion's should carry any more weight than anyone else's, especially since I find many of them to be ill informed and they also never bother to revisit when game updates are done.

I do that too but most people don't. They don't even venture off the Steam page. They just go 'Oh low metacritic number?' PASS or 'Oh high metacritic number?' BUY.

*Edit: Replied before I saw Eldredpe's post; we essentially said the same thing.

But really on the D3 most of that I think is just a huge backlash on the always online DRM. If you took that piece of it out I think the user reviews would be MUCH higher. The game itself is not terrible.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand, most of that was a backlash about the game itself both in that it was nothing like the original as you might expect a sequel to be, and simply on it's own shortcomings which were many.

#11200 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Yes, thanks!

#11201 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

I have no idea if this is good or not.
Spoiler

#11202 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

It was a pretty cool concept and I'd love to know what it was. Double Fine's Autonomous project brought this to mind.

Oh my goodness, reading this post left me flabbergasted; This toy (and corresponding video tapes and some TV shows) occupied my mind incessantly for a few months, yet I had completely forgotten about it until you brought it up! Haha, it was such a neat concept, I had never experienced anyone trying to make "interactive videos" in quite the same way as Captain Power. Thanks so much for reminding me of this :)

...goes to eBay to find some old Captain Power toys before the wife finds out...
Posted Image

#11203 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

I'm tired and my brain hurts so I'm not doing any fancy tricks just a spoiler tag

Greed Corp

*Edit: got Greeded

Edited by Motoki, 05 December 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#11204 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

Just PM them to me and I'll spoiler tag the ones I didn't want.

#11205 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

I have no idea if this is good or not.

Spoiler

Lurked.

#11206 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

Lurked.

This is why we can't have nice things.

#11207 asheskitty

asheskitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

Not due to my sexual deviancy? <wipes brow>

#11208 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

Like pants

#11209 KirbyLovesTacos

KirbyLovesTacos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

I'm tired and my brain hurts so I'm not doing any fancy tricks just a spoiler tag

Greed Corp

Spoiler

I have a few more but I'll spread them out so one person doesn't grab them all.

Yuck, it got lurked. >_>

#11210 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

Yuck, it got lurked. >_>

Isn't a spoiler tag supposed to keep the lurkers away?

#11211 KirbyLovesTacos

KirbyLovesTacos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

Isn't a spoiler tag supposed to keep the lurkers away?

They're using some sort of black magic to access the codes.

#11212 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

Like pants

Pants are overrated, but apparently needed so I can get back to gaming.

#11213 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" Birthday Toaster (34)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

But the aggregates are based on reviews and so many sites, especially Steam since they don't allow user reviews period, are leaning way too heavily on Metacritic. As far as I am concerned it's still a problem with the reviews and also in which ones metacritics deems worthy and 'professional'.

Personally, I think in this day and age with as networked and connected as we are the idea of a 'professional' review when it comes to games seems very silly to me. I don't think those people's opinion's should carry any more weight than anyone else's, especially since I find many of them to be ill informed and they also never bother to revisit when game updates are done.

I do that too but most people don't. They don't even venture off the Steam page. They just go 'Oh low metacritic number?' PASS or 'Oh high metacritic number?' BUY.

*Edit: Replied before I saw Eldredpe's post; we essentially said the same thing.

But really on the D3 most of that I think is just a huge backlash on the always online DRM. If you took that piece of it out I think the user reviews would be MUCH higher. The game itself is not terrible.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand, most of that was a backlash about the game itself both in that it was nothing like the original as you might expect a sequel to be, and simply on it's own shortcomings which were many.

Let's face it - Diablo II (ARPG) and DA: Origins (strategic-RPG) are both freaking classic gaming masterpieces. NO sequel was likely going to top the greatness that those games both put out in their respective genres. Diablo III and DA2 are both NOWHERE even remotely to being as great as their groundbreaking and Earth-shattering predecessors - even though those sequels are still good games. They're....just NOT GREAT and FAR-FAR-FAR from it.

I agree - D3 is FAR from horrible. While I don't like that I can't control every stat number (while say D2, TL1 and TL2 allow for this) and the "always online" DRM sucked (my BIGGEST complaint from D3), I still liked the game quite a bit (especially for the $10 that I spent on it). I really liked the new LORE (to read and listen to it) and that now your companions actually have a personality and banter w/ your character.

Even DA2, despite its numerous MINOR problems (A LOT of recycled environments; combat was NOWHERE as strategic as DAO; no more overhead tactical camera; some choices don't seen very important by the end-game and it don't seem like there's enough of choices by the end; story misssing some kind of "epic" touch to it; etc) -- I still somehow really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved Merrill especially; really liked a lot of the characters here; loved-to-hate Anders; liked the new and improved graphics style; liked how personal the story was; preferred Thief class in DA2 over DAO; AND liked that the combat was much faster and less clunky.

I think also that the hype for DA2 and D3 just NEVER had a chance to live up to its INSANE expectations. Sometimes, this is easier to see this all with 20/20 hindsight, of course.

While I'm at it - given how amazing Bioshock 1 was, I really hope Bioshock: Infinite lives up to its INSANE hype-o-meter...

#11214 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Yeah, rubberbanding and lagging in single player Diablo III was the biggest turnoff. Still, I find it an enjoyable game.

#11215 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

Not due to my sexual deviancy? <wipes brow>

No, I still attribute it largely to this.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#11216 stupidproz1

stupidproz1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Since people seem to be talking about it I'd like to chime in.

I played Diablo 1 and 2 for over 7 years. I see Diablo 3 as a failure, maybe not a terrible game in general just a complete failure in comparison to it's predecessors. The games was kinda fun once or twice thru. (I played when it first came out mind you.) But as soon as you hit Inferno the game was bullshit. If you were not a Demon Hunter or a Wizard you were pretty much done on the later acts.
Now I know that it is sorta fixed at this point but still. Also the USEFUL loot seems to drop so rarely while you're going thru the acts and difficulties and something always felt kinda "off" to me about the loot in general. The game just totally lacked the lasting appeal that Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 seemed to have on me. It also felt like it just didn't have the "Blizzard" feeling to it. Starcraft 2 on the other hand still felt like it had the Blizzard magic. (Also to note I killed Diablo Inferno on 3 different char classes. I don't care that the auction house was put in there, I actually kind of liked it but the always online DRM was kinda BS.)
Diablo 3 6.5/10

Torchlight 2 on the other hand... Havn't fully completed the game yet (around 55 hours in on 2 different characters) but man is it just such a FUN game. It just feels right. The useful loot especially feels like it drops at the perfect pace. Areas, enemy types and dungeons seem well varied and some of the boss fights are especially fun. I'm always eager to get back in it with my friend and play some co-op. I can easily see myself sinking 300+ hours into it.
Torchlight 2 9/10

#11217 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Yep, and a year ago the whole shebang was released in a mother flippin' complete series dvd collection packed with bonus features

Guardian_owl.png

#11218 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

It's a pity that it wasn't really Skyrim.

Can anyone confirm if this (first Broken Sword) has been claimed? (I presume so, but since no one mentioned anything....)

#11219 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

Can anyone confirm if this (first Broken Sword) has been claimed? (I presume so, but since no one mentioned anything....)

I had to log in to my secondary steam account just to check it, but it appears to have been used.

57j.gif

#11220 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Since people seem to be talking about it I'd like to chime in.

I played Diablo 1 and 2 for over 7 years. I see Diablo 3 as a failure, maybe not a terrible game in general just a complete failure in comparison to it's predecessors. The games was kinda fun once or twice thru. (I played when it first came out mind you.) But as soon as you hit Inferno the game was bullshit. If you were not a Demon Hunter or a Wizard you were pretty much done on the later acts.
Now I know that it is sorta fixed at this point but still. Also the USEFUL loot seems to drop so rarely while you're going thru the acts and difficulties and something always felt kinda "off" to me about the loot in general. The game just totally lacked the lasting appeal that Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 seemed to have on me. It also felt like it just didn't have the "Blizzard" feeling to it. Starcraft 2 on the other hand still felt like it had the Blizzard magic. (Also to note I killed Diablo Inferno on 3 different char classes. I don't care that the auction house was put in there, I actually kind of liked it but the always online DRM was kinda BS.)
Diablo 3 6.5/10

Torchlight 2 on the other hand... Havn't fully completed the game yet (around 55 hours in on 2 different characters) but man is it just such a FUN game. It just feels right. The useful loot especially feels like it drops at the perfect pace. Areas, enemy types and dungeons seem well varied and some of the boss fights are especially fun. I'm always eager to get back in it with my friend and play some co-op. I can easily see myself sinking 300+ hours into it.
Torchlight 2 9/10

I'm playing through it now and keep in mind I only spent $10 for it, I'm getting into it after a bunch of patches hit and I am not that far into it yet but I like it so far.

I guess I am in the minority in that I'm not really playing for the items primarily but more the hack and slash, atmosphere and dare I even say I am kind of surprised that I'm actually liking the story even. It won't win any awards or anything, but I like all the narrated journals and how the game refers back to locales and events in the first game. The followers are a really nice addition too.

Visually, while it won't wow anyone in the modern era, I think it's rather nice. In fact I find myself wishing there were a Baldur's Gate or Ultima or even Gothic done in the same sort D3 updated isometric visuals. I guess there's the new Divinity game coming that's going to be isometric so there's that.

Not every game has to be in First Person or 3rd Person over the should so at least maybe will start seeing so more overhead view games now.