Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#11281 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Blue drives are fine for storage, especially if you just use it to backup games, and install them to an SSD when you play.

The green drives die not from spinning down, but from parking the drive head. Think the needle in a record player. They also usually only have a one year warranty, vs 3 or 5 of Blue and Black.

#11282 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Hahaha, I had a feeling I was a bit late on it, but it's still an exciting improvement. (Admittedly, though, it's good to know the feature was part of the "most recent update" - It shows that I'm not too far behind, if at all.) I believe there have been some fan programs in the past that assisted with this matter, but it's far more comforting to know that the feature is now officially part of the Steam system.

#11283 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

WD Blue drives are fine for running your OS or games.

#11284 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

WD Blue drives are fine for running your OS or games.

Yep, that's what my boot drive is; 160GB WD Blue. Though it's waiting (begging really) for an SSD update. Unfortunately, it's far down on the priorities list.

#11285 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hahaha, I had a feeling I was a bit late on it, but it's still an exciting improvement. (Admittedly, though, it's good to know the feature was part of the "most recent update" - It shows that I'm not too far behind, if at all.) I believe there have been some fan programs in the past that assisted with this matter, but it's far more comforting to know that the feature is now officially part of the Steam system.

It officially rolled out in the most recent update.

If you were opted into the beta it's been kicking around since September.

Nice feature, though I wish it wasn't restricted to only games with the updated content system. Seems like a weird requirement for such a seemingly simple feature.

#11286 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

A bit late to the party, as usual, but:

This Samsung Spinpoint F3 is usually very well-regarded (I have two).

Also, 24 hour deal on a Crucial SSD - promo code EMCYTZT2606. Also a good brand. I'm actually considering getting one just for games (they load so fast!!).
Posted Image

#11287 aronater

aronater

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Silly question- doesn't Steam Cloud support this kind of save game functionality?

Well first of all, as was mentioned, not all games are supported yet. But more important, wouldn't you be required to be constantly online, in order for the cloud to sync your save games?

#11288 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Well first of all, as was mentioned, not all games are supported yet. But more important, wouldn't you be required to be constantly online, in order for the cloud to sync your save games?

Yes, but if the issue was making sure Steam didn't delete your saves on an uninstall that wouldn't be a matter of concern. The point was that for Steam Cloud games you know that your saves are safe and don't have to research whether or not you need to back them up before having Steam delete the local data of a game.

#11289 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Also, 24 hour deal on a Crucial SSD - promo code EMCYTZT2606. Also a good brand. I'm actually considering getting one just for games (they load so fast!!).

There's also the Samsung 840s with 250GB and Assassins Creed 3 for $165 at B&H (look on SD).

#11290 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Ah, had no clue about the Green drives. I got a Caviar Green 2TB drive recently. Couldn't beat the price and the reviews were really good for it. Here's hoping it holds up though if it dies I only really keep Steam games on it so no real panic there other than having to replace it.

Yeah... I've had a bunch of Green drives in my desktop for a few years now and they've been fine (knock on wood). I think HDDs tend to die either right away or near the end of their life expectancy anyway so you'd either know right away or you'll get good use out of it before it dies. I think you'll be fine :)

#11291 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Happy Hour is on at indiegala for those that care!

#11292 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Avoid the WD Green -- It's an HDD with special power settings (that you can disable, I guess), and all other kkinds of wonkery to make it "green" (as in, eco-friendly green). the one I had failed -just- outside the warranty.

The green drives essentially power down and stop spinning to save power when not in use. Then, when needed, spin back up. This causes more wear and tear than the standard drive, which causes a higher failure rate.

I realize this doesn't negate the negative experiences of others, but I've actually had a rather pleasant experience with the WD green drives. (I believe I'm running three of them between my different machines at home) The key factor is that you have to run wdidle3 and either disable the parking (if you're using an older green drive) or set the timeout higher. (Newer drives which do not play nice with the disable function) It's entirely possible that due to being "green" the drives don't perform as fast overall as the blue/black drives, but I can't tell due to lack of a blue/black for comparison.

So yeah. A green would be fine for storage if you disable or max out time parking time, though it may run slower than a blue. Or you can just skip the whole headache and avoid getting a green. ;P

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#11293 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Today's Daily Deal is The Book of Unwritten Tales for $9.99 (50% off).

For the sake of completeness, I want to note that the DLC, the Digital Extras, is $4.99 (50% off, as well.), and the package for both (The Digital Deluxe Edition.) is $12.49.

#11294 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Today's Daily Deal is The Book of Unwritten Tales for $9.99 (50% off).

For the sake of completeness, I want to note that the DLC, the Digital Extras, are $4.99. (50% off, as well.)

I'd like the game, but at more than 50% off. I'm still tempted as it's one of the games that works in the Linux beta and I'd play it when I travel later this month.

#11295 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

I'd like the game, but at more than 50% off. I'm still tempted as it's one of the games that works in the Linux beta and I'd play it when I travel later this month.

Same here. It will get cheaper than 50% off and maybe even end up in a bundle someday so I am waiting even though I do really want it and the recently released prequel game too.

#11296 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

For anyone who grabbed AirBuccaneers in the IndieFortChampionship bundle (or otherwise on GamersGate?), a Steam key should be available in your GamersGate account. I had one waiting, anyway.

#11297 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

The most amusing element, for me, is the Yip Yip martian that seems to be present in the game's promotional image.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11298 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Really you should hunt down the save files for any game you want to uninstall. There is a good variability in save file locations. Ubi has the most daft naming/location. Sleeping Dogs saves in the steamapps/common/sleeping\ dogs/data folder.

That seems pretty standard to me. Program Files and Documents locations are the easiest places to look, what I hate is random games like Burnout Paradise, for example which uses

c:\users\yourname\appdata\local\criterion games\burnout paradise\save

Heck, it's technically a "hidden" folder by default Windows settings.

#11299 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

For anyone who grabbed AirBuccaneers in the IndieFortChampionship bundle (or otherwise on GamersGate?), a Steam key should be available in your GamersGate account. I had one waiting, anyway.

And if they had made that information known at the time they might have sold more bundles.

#11300 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I would love for the Steam client to get updated with plugin support. I'm sure a dropbox/gdrive/skydrive/box/etc plugin connected to a database of save game locations would come quickly. I find the gamesave manager application to be kind of cumbersome and I often forget to make my own symlinks.

#11301 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I've had no problem with the WD Green. I set it to never spin down in Windows power management. I've never heard of the head parking so I'm going to look into that.

I'm putting off getting a new HDD for now but I'd go for the 2TB WD Black. If you're playing a lot of games and got a bunch of media and stuff, 1TB ain't gonna cut it for long.

For save files I use Gamesave Manager to back them up daily, works great and is free.

#11302 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

And if they had made that information known at the time they might have sold more bundles.

They did. The description on the Alpha package that was in the bundle stated it came with access to all later development builds as well as the finished game. I think it was known at the time that the final game would require Steam.

#11303 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

They did. The description on the Alpha package that was in the bundle stated it came with access to all later development builds as well as the finished game. I think it was known at the time that the final game would require Steam.

Sounds like digging for information. They need to make it abundantly clear that it would. Hell, had the one dev from world of tanks not told us that certain games would come with steam keys for the new indie fort bundles nobody would have known and gamersgate in the past did not include steam keys for games that were on steam but offered drm free builds.

#11304 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

The most amusing element, for me, is the Yip Yip martian that seems to be present in the game's promotional image.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yes, absolutely! I'm just a couple scenes in and haven't seen it yet.

#11305 Garbanzo

Garbanzo

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Yes, the F3's were good and the F4 (HD204UI) as well. Problem is, since Seagate bought Samsung HDD division you're getting Seagate drives. not the original Samsung ones. Seagate basically just slapped a new label with the Samsung model number on one of their crappy models.

#11306 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Sounds like digging for information. They need to make it abundantly clear that it would.

True. It could have been clearer.

From what I remember, that was the only game in that bundle that had Steam keys forthcoming. But I do recall that it was quite clear that grabbing it would get you the final game as well. That's why I grabbed it.

I did have to dig for information about Steam and Desura keys for most items in that bundle. For the most part, the information was that they weren't available. A comment somewhere noted that Telepath RPG could be activated on Desura. A couple of games on Greenlight said they would give out keys if they made it. Most had nothing other than GamersGate downloads. AirBuccaneers stood out from the rest because it was actually clear that it would come with a final version key.

#11307 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Yes, the F3's were good and the F4 (HD204UI) as well. Problem is, since Seagate bought Samsung HDD division you're getting Seagate drives. not the original Samsung ones. Seagate basically just slapped a new label with the Samsung model number on one of their crappy models.

This is why I went with WD instead of the Samsung.

#11308 kendog1331

kendog1331

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Has anyone else noticed several small updates to most of their games on steam? (like less than 30 MB) Is this for big picture or what are these tiny updates? I can't find any info on them

#11309 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Has anyone else noticed several small updates to most of their games on steam? (like less than 30 MB) Is this for big picture or what are these tiny updates? I can't find any info on them

I've had a some (like 10 that I have installed) of my games get updates in the last day because of the new file system for them now being available.

#11310 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

They're prepping you for their new BrainLink hardware.
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this