Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#1141 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

It's actually a separate key on the site, so you'll have to grab it and activate it on Steam manually. ;)

Ah, sorry. Posted on mobile and didn't follow through to my key page. I should have realized though since they are beat the average now.

#1142 crabbit

crabbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

The following "Steamable" games are on sale now at Gamersgate for the next 24 hours:

Thanks, read some reviews and bit on Orcs Must Die.

#1143 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

Edge, Osmos, Anomaly Warzone Earth, and World of Goo were added to the Humble Android Bundle 3. If you already bought it and someone don't already have them from bundles, they should show up in your Steam library soon. You may need to restart.

If you haven't purchased the bundle yet you'll need to beat the average to get them.

Gah, I knew I should have bought the bundle yesterday (would have saved @$1.50 - oh well). I have been wanting Anomaly for a while now & missed it in past bundles.
I'm also interested in EDGE and would like World of Goo on Android (had it on my old iphone and have been missing it since I switched).
Additionally, now I guess I get to try out uplink as well.
It's odd that I am more interested in the additional games than I was in the initial bundle (I had fieldrunners already and only had a minor interest in uplink and spirits).

#1144 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

For anyone interested in Grey Matter, I think it's this game: http://www.newground...tal/view/467236

It's not the adventure game called Gray Matter published by Viva Media. I was confused about that at first, so I just wanted to clarify in case anyone else thinks the same thing I did.

I went through the exact same thing and was going to post a similar warning.

#1145 JustYourAverageJoe

JustYourAverageJoe

Dances With Deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Ok SteamCAG, I need opinions. I'm debating between the MSI GTX 670 PE 2GD5/OC (~$415) and the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Ed. (~$480). My current 5770 has done well, but it has one seriously annoying flaw that I'm terrified I'll run into on the 7970: stuttering/judder in fullscreen. The FPS will be rocksteady according to every counter I throw at it, but there's a noticeable (to me) stutter in many games at fullscreen. Windowed mode, it goes away.

But the 7970 has some crazy horsepower, and some benches give it a 20 (!) FPS lead over the 670 in Skyrim. But the reverse (to a lesser degree) could be the case in Battlefield 3. I want to play both much more.

My goal is 1080p60fpsUltra. I may, eventually, get a 1440p display. Maybe. And I burden Skyrim with a metric (not Imperial!) assload of HD texture mods, so the 2GB VRAM of the 670 seems a little small.

What say ye, wise and wonderful PC brethren?
Posted Image

#1146 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Ok SteamCAG, I need opinions. I'm debating between the MSI GTX 670 PE 2GD5/OC (~$415) and the Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Ed. (~$480). My current 5770 has done well, but it has one seriously annoying flaw that I'm terrified I'll run into on the 7970: stuttering/judder in fullscreen. The FPS will be rocksteady according to every counter I throw at it, but there's a noticeable (to me) stutter in many games at fullscreen. Windowed mode, it goes away.

But the 7970 has some crazy horsepower, and some benches give it a 20 (!) FPS lead over the 670 in Skyrim. But the reverse (to a lesser degree) could be the case in Battlefield 3. I want to play both much more.

My goal is 1080p60fpsUltra. I may, eventually, get a 1440p display. Maybe. And I burden Skyrim with a metric (not Imperial!) amount of HD testure mods, so the 2GB VRAM of the 670 seems a little small.

I have a 7970, and I regret buying it over nvidia. Get the 670. AMD's drivers suck, and the slight performance boosts you may get in a couple games isn't worth the hassle you'll have with the majority of games with the 7970. Many games are poorly optimized and work much better on nvidia GPUs.

#1147 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

My entire gaming rig cost less than your card :(

#1148 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Personally, if I had the money to spend at the moment, I would be going with the GTX670 as well. I used to love ATI, but as sunghost says AMD hasn't been top of their game with the drivers IMHO.

#1149 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

Why does everyone hate the Indie Face Kick guys everywhere I go on the internet? It's rare to see such unanimous hatred. Did I miss something and they're actually douchebags? That bundle is hot garbage though, I'll give you that.

#1150 HuntingNoob

HuntingNoob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

My goal is 1080p60fpsUltra. I may, eventually, get a 1440p display. Maybe. And I burden Skyrim with a metric (not Imperial!) assload of HD texture mods, so the 2GB VRAM of the 670 seems a little small.

I just bought a Gigabyte gtx 670 Windforce 2 and can recommend it. Cool and quiet card. Buy a 670.

#1151 JustYourAverageJoe

JustYourAverageJoe

Dances With Deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

I have a 7970, and I regret buying it over nvidia. Get the 670. AMD's drivers suck, and the slight performance boosts you may get in a couple games isn't worth the hassle you'll have with the majority of games with the 7970. Many games are poorly optimized and work much better on nvidia GPUs.

Your argument is pretty persuasive, and the worry about drivers is what's making this decision hard. I've read the 12.7 drivers were really good, but is it a risk I wanna take? Ugh. I'm super afraid of getting buyer's remorse no matter what I buy since the investment is so large.

Don't worry, I'm sure these grapes are sour anyways.
Spoiler

Posted Image

#1152 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Why does everyone hate the Indie Face Kick guys everywhere I go on the internet? It's rare to see such unanimous hatred. Did I miss something and they're actually douchebags?

Yeah, pretty much. Primarily they were involved with some shady advertising involving the sale of (probably illegal) Russian keys, then were very dickish in their response.

#1153 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

I've been doing research the past few weeks on this, since I'm in a similar situation of possibly wanting a 1600 monitor.

I didn't bother with AMD because I run Linux, so Nvidia is my only choice.

I ultimately decided on a 660 Ti, because I think I'd rather use 16:9 1080p resolution with 2ms response time, like the monitor I have now, so the smaller memory bus is not an issue. Then do an SLI in a year or so if I need to.

So for you, since you are thinking about 1440 monitors, a 660 Ti will not suit you. However, the 670 does. And frankly, you'd want better performance on BF3 compared to Skyrim, since the former is obviously multiplayer, so the increased performance will benefit more.

And you get Borderlands 2 with the 670.

#1154 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm in a similar boat as you, except already with the 1440p monitor and disappointed that my 560Ti isn't maxing everything anymore. I ended up deciding on the 670 which I plan to get around Black Friday, mostly due to driver issues. If you recall AMD/ATi also had massive issues with a couple of OpenGL releases in the past year or so with RAGE and Brink. Admittedly not the best games, but a recurring issue is something I don't want to deal with if a game that I'm really interested in decides to use OpenGL as its renderer. For some odd reason, the synthetic benchmark used at www.videocardbenchmark.net places the 670 as the tpo card right now -- higher than even the 680 and 690. If the 2GB of memory is an issue for you, look into the 4GB version for about the same price as a 7970 and sell Borderlands 2 if you aren't interested to knock the price down a bit: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130785

Why does everyone hate the Indie Face Kick guys everywhere I go on the internet? It's rare to see such unanimous hatred. Did I miss something and they're actually douchebags? That bundle is hot garbage though, I'll give you that.

They reek of unprofessionalism. From the article linked earlier, to their promoting of grey market key dealers, to how they conduct themselves on Steam and don't seem to care what potential buyers think, to their awful website design. Pretty much the blueprint for how not to run a website that expects people to give them money.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#1155 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'm confused why people complain about lack of driver support for the ATI 7xxxx series. I seem to be getting updates every month, and they fix issues (such as some D3 stuttering problems) and have overall improved performance.

I'm not quite in the same ballpark as you all (I have a 7850), but I'm still able to run Sleeping Dogs at 1440p resolution with high settings and high texture packs except normal AA (which doesn't seem that necessary at this resolution) with a smooth 60fps. I have no qualms of this card, especially since it overclocks so easily.

However, I do admit if I had a choice now, I'd probably bite on 660 ti just because the inclusion of Borderlands 2 makes it a similar price proposition as my 7850, haha. I just don't think driver support is a problem I've experienced with ATI cards... then again, I haven't had a geforce in a decade so maybe they update their drivers more often.
Posted Image

#1156 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Edge, Osmos, Anomaly Warzone Earth, and World of Goo were added to the Humble Android Bundle 3. If you already bought it and someone don't already have them from bundles, they should show up in your Steam library soon. You may need to restart.

If you haven't purchased the bundle yet you'll need to beat the average to get them.

I can't believe I own every single one of the games in this bundle except for Spirits. My "very first Steam sale" anniversary is coming up soon so I guess a year has been enough time to collect many games. It has not been nearly enough time to play them though.

#1157 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

But it handles Summer Games II, Archon and the Movie Monster Game like a beast!

#1158 cycophuk

cycophuk

Left to my own devices

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

What forum do I go to so I can get in on S8:P 4-pack. I've never had issues with GFWL, so I'm not butthurt about it and getting it and the DLC for less than 3 bucks is too good a deal to pass up.

#1159 Hop25

Hop25

The Repo Nerd

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

What forum do I go to so I can get in on S8:P 4-pack. I've never had issues with GFWL, so I'm not butthurt about it and getting it and the DLC for less than 3 bucks is too good a deal to pass up.

This is the thread you're looking for.

#1160 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

Your argument is pretty persuasive, and the worry about drivers is what's making this decision hard. I've read the 12.7 drivers were really good, but is it a risk I wanna take? Ugh. I'm super afraid of getting buyer's remorse no matter what I buy since the investment is so large.

AMD drivers do not suck; as far as I can tell that's just one of those things that people repeat because they heard other people say it. There's no basis behind it.

#1161 cycophuk

cycophuk

Left to my own devices

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

This is the thread you're looking for.

Gracias, mi amigo.

#1162 JustYourAverageJoe

JustYourAverageJoe

Dances With Deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

AMD drivers do not suck; as far as I can tell that's just one of those things that people repeat because they heard other people say it. There's no basis behind it.

IIRC, Crossfire had negative performance scaling at launch in Skyrim. As a current AMD owner, yes, the drivers are not especially great. One of the last updates I installed would identify itself as a version 8 or so revisions back, so it would bug me to update every time I started Windows.

But the crazy OC headroom of the 7970 is tempting. I've never dabbled with OCing before, but it's mighty tempting to start.
Posted Image

#1163 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Maybe its just the fact that Nvidia is more of a standard but AMD cards tend to have more sporadic driver related issues. Many games dont work at launch until drivers are updated etc. Sometimes drivers are updated and games get broken etc. It might well be that game designers have a tendency to design around Nvidia but it is definitely one of the biggest negatives against ATI.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#1164 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

I've never bought any high end stuff, but I was strictly AMD GFX up into my latest, which was an Nvidia. Never had too much problems with either.

#1165 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Maybe its just the fact that Nvidia is more of a standard but AMD cards tend to have more sporadic driver related issues. Many games dont work at launch until drivers are updated etc. Sometimes drivers are updated and games get broken etc. It might well be that game designers have a tendency to design around Nvidia but it is definitely one of the biggest negatives against ATI.

That's a good point. I did have trouble with a few games until the driver updates fixed framerate hiccups or random boot to windows (such as D3).

From the reviews I've read on Tom's hardware though, the 7xxx series seem to have more OC potential at standard voltage than the GTX 6xx series, though I may be completely mistaken. I've OC'ed my 7850 to 1050/1450 very easily at standard voltage and with minimal (2-3deg) temp increase at load. Most of the similar OC stories I've seen for 660ti and 670 seem to require voltage increase, but I may just be reading the wrong reviews. :)
Posted Image

#1166 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Its not really that one is better than another as they go back and forth. It just depends on what gives you better bang for your buck at that price point. Nvidia for me is kind of a tried and true and I have generally had less issues with their cards. They also for many years had much much better linux support. Nowaday I don't know if ATI/AMD are any better.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#1167 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

Another point for Nvidia, while small it can add to a game, physx.
Borderlands 2 video shows off some nice effects with physx
http://www.joystiq.c...idias-cheapest/

#1168 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Playfire Pink Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

While we're on the subject of video cards, what would be the best choice in an Alienware M18?

Selling Groupees Sometimes Tuesday Bundles for $1.10 PayPal or one TF2 key. PM me!

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#1169 Rerujnoc

Rerujnoc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Wow. Din's Curse was finally released on Steam.

http://store.steampo...com/app/217290/

#1170 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

While we're on the subject of video cards, what would be the best choice in an Alienware M18?

For half the price of that laptop you can build a pretty substantial desktop that will be upgradeable for the future. With half of the other half of the money you can buy a solid laptop that can play plenty of good games on the go. Then you can put the rest of that money away for games/upgrades.