Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#11971 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

I really like FTL. I like the game because it's pretty brutal but when I die, I can look back and realize what I did wrong, what happened and how to improve next game. It's nice to have games where I can't blame any part of the game except myself for failing.

I disagree. I think that's true 90% of the time. But the other 10%, the game's RNG just fucks you over.

#11972 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

Eh, the GMG coupon thing didn't bother me much, either. I tend to take a pretty laid back approach to these things, generally. My response was less an attempt to defend Steam than to suggest that he chill for a minute and see if things get resolved promptly. I don't see much point in raging over the problem if you haven't given any reasonable amount of time for the other party to rectify it.

EDIT: I should also probably add that I've never dealt with Steam CS.

Yeah, definitely would be good to stay calm, but I'll be honest I probably wouldn't be too calm if it happened to me. Even if I got to keep my Steam library, the ban from any future purchases would be pretty upsetting to me.

I know someone else recently got a pretty helpful and quick resolution from Steam CS so anything is possible. I've never had any serious issues with Steam, but the few times I have contacted them, their response has been moot by the time it got to me.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#11973 xRidley

xRidley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

The main reason I am upset is that if I can't make future purchases, then I basically can not buy any DLC for any games I already own.
Making a new account is a huge hassle. I'd have to
-Rebuy games I already own if I want to buy DLC. Including $60 for Black Ops2 if I want to play any of the upcoming DLC maps
-Lose any progress that may apply from games that bind their account to steam account (like CoD unlocks)
-Lose all friends on my friend list and have to rebuild it
-Keep track of which games are on which account and constantly switch back and forth
-Lose my entire steam inventory, including TF2 items and any of those one-time exclusive items that I have

The account action I received is usually reserved for chargebacks and credit card fraud so I am completely confused why they did that to my account out of nowhere. I also haven't even traded in several months so I doubt I received some game that turned out to be fraudulently purchased, plus none of my games are missing from what I can tell. I guess all I can do is wait, but my previous tickets were not handled very well for minor issues compared to this. Usually they would post a non-related response and close my ticket like they didn't even read it.

#11974 stupidproz1

stupidproz1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

Steam customer service is terrible.. so so terrible, it really is. Like I would trade Origin support for Steam support in a second flat without hesitation.

If you ever need any help during a Steam sale, just good luck man because you will be waiting at least a week. (Not to mention missing many sale days if your account is suspended or restricted during that time.)

#11975 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

Also awesome is SPUF being down for like 2 days now.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#11976 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

Steam support sucks. I think even the most rabid fanboi would be hard pressed to defend it. I won't say that no one ever gets a timely, helpful response from them but I doesn't seem to be the norm both in my direct experience and from what I've heard from others.

Still, in a case where you have no idea what the hell you did wrong and why they are locking your account and you have no past transgressions on record I would say to just try to be polite and definitely be persistent explaining that you did not break any rules as far as you are aware and that if it is something that happened through a trade you will endeavor to be more careful with who you trade with in the future.

It doesn't excuse the way Steam handles these sort of situations but I do think people need to be more careful about where they get their games from. In the long run I think it's better to just obtain your games from known, reputable sites that are legitimately authorized to sell to your region and trade with people who have good feedback and are known, honest traders. It's not worth the risk to save a few dollars for something that's going to be on sale on a legit site sooner or later anyway.

EDIT: Anyone else get Screen 7's (the Summerbatch guys who blessed up with Nancy the Happy Whore and Piss) latest newsletter? Looks like they'll have a game called Kinky Island sometime around August 2013. Get pumped!

I did, and was disappoint not to see any announcement for a Winterbatch.
Still, they hinted at their next bundle...

The Cat Lady is pretty damned creepy, weird as hell, and I love it! Just saying.

It also got added to Desura very recently.

I'm all about some Kinky Island too though. I hope Nancy the Happy Whore gets to go. I don't think the Cat Lady would appreciate it, however.

#11977 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

Steam's customer service is pretty terrible. Mostly because Valve is still a relatively small company in proportion to their user base. They probably don't have anywhere near the amount of CS people they should to handle tickets.

#11978 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

The Cat Lady is pretty damned creepy, weird as hell, and I love it! Just saying.

It also got added to Desura very recently.

I'm all about some Kinky Island too though. I hope Nancy the Happy Whore gets to go. I don't think the Cat Lady would appreciate it, however.

Looks pretty neat, though I don't think I'd pay more than a few bucks for it.

Also, I played Home last night. Took me just under 2 hours, and it was really interesting. Because you don't just choose your actions, but actually how the story goes, it leaves you with some really crazy decisions that are hard to properly put into perspective, which is something I'm not sure I've ever experienced in a game before. I would definitely recommend playing it if any of you picked it up in the Indie Royale. It's meant to be played in a single sitting.

#11979 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

If Steam has a twitter account try tweeting to em, this was effective when I had issues with Ubisoft and EA and their support staff were clueless. Worth a try.

#11980 Fluxy

Fluxy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Man, XCOM just gets more and more tempting. Just when I decided not to jump into it since I want to play more of the DOS game (since I never played it really but bought it a while ago), its gets even cheaper!

Add onto that I'm tempted by Walking Dead and Dead Island.... man.... got keep strong.

just to let you know, i think the promo code is only for today, so if your looking into buying the games a few bucks cheaper do it now. I dont think steam will bring down twd lower than 10 bucks and for xcom lower than 20...so think fast

#11981 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

E-mail gaben@valvesoftware.com

#11982 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

While I would be pissed too in the same situation, I'd also be waiting till I got some responses to find out what exactly is going on. As others said, their CS is terrible, I've had to use it twice. Once the matter resolved in under 24 hours and another time in took a week. So it is very hit or miss as well. More then likely a game you did get in a trade was a fraudulent purchase even if it was from awhile ago. Some times people don't notice CC fraud right away and then it has to go through official channels as company's that were affected by it find out.

#11983 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

Gamefly's 1GFT1112 20% coupon expires today. (or maybe doesn't stack tomorrow)

The apocalypse is upon us in only 11 days, if you believe in that sort of thing, and GameFly wants you playing games to the bitter end. In its "Not so Scary End of the World" sale, the company will be offering sales on a new batch of games every two days, starting today.
The first batch of games will be on sale for 48 hours, and include The Walking Dead and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. You can also use the code 1GFT1112 today only to get an additional 20 percent off the price listed below. The list:

Spoiler

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#11984 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

I disagree. I think that's true 90% of the time. But the other 10%, the game's RNG just fucks you over.

Only 10%? What kind of weak-sauce roguelike is that?

#11985 NamPaehc

NamPaehc

!Anihc Ni Hsan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

No Top 10 wishlist give away this year on Steam from Valve?

2ic4l5j.jpg

#11986 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

Er... the sale hasn't even started yet.

#11987 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

The fan is jacked on my laptop at the moment, running high graphic games shuts it off, so there is no way I can play it right now but... Dead Island GOTY is really tempting at 4.29. Do I jump?
Posted Image

#11988 Fluxy

Fluxy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

The fan is jacked on my laptop at the moment, running high graphic games shuts it off, so there is no way I can play it right now but... Dead Island GOTY is really tempting at 4.29. Do I jump?

4.29 is a good deal for dead island goty. just buy it and save it until u fix your computer. or you can hold out until ur computer is fixed and wait for another deal. Dead Island gets on sale quite often, and dead island riptide is on the way.

#11989 gomikeoh

gomikeoh

I like turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

No.

Even at 4.29, you may dismiss your own instincts and say "hey, thats not that much."

Yea, its not that much. But dead island is a game that barely straddles the line of mediocrity. The game's reception has been met with much criticism to the repetitive nature, and that to truly enjoy the title co-op adds to the experience. With 4.29 you could get something off the steam winter day sales that are far superior.

Dead Island will be that game in your backlog you look months and years from now and regret buying. The inner completionist in you will say "I paid good money for that, I need to enjoy the game." Your time is worth more than this garbage game.
PC master race.

#11990 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

No.

Even at 4.29, you may dismiss your own instincts and say "hey, thats not that much."

Yea, its not that much. But dead island is a game that barely straddles the line of mediocrity. The game's reception has been met with much criticism to the repetitive nature, and that to truly enjoy the title co-op adds to the experience. With 4.29 you could get something off the steam winter day sales that are far superior.

Dead Island will be that game in your backlog you look months and years from now and regret buying. The inner completionist in you will say "I paid good money for that," I need to enjoy the game. Your time is worth more than this garbage game.

Posted Image

Show me on the doll where Dead Island touched you.
Posted Image

#11991 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Dead Island has flaws but... I mean... are you going to hold out for $2.50? An indie bundle?

#11992 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

No.

Dead Island will be that game in your backlog you look months and years from now and regret buying. The inner completionist in you will say "I paid good money for that, I need to enjoy the game." Your time is worth more than this garbage game.

Eh, that's an extremely drastic opinion. The game isn't absolutely amazing, but if you're into zombies and open world games action RPGs, Dead Island is still really good. The loot system could be a bit better, and it's not like the story is great (ZOMBIES), but the flaws are drastically over-exaggerated.

And actually I think solo mode is way better than co-op. Really keeps you on your toes and makes things more perilous and survival oriented. I think it's a bit silly to have four killing machines jumping around killing everything with ease in a deadly zombie outbreak... but that's just me. Just doesn't feel like the kind of game for that.

And yeah, it's not going to get much cheaper.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11993 Fluxy

Fluxy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

No.

can u name me some games that are the same price range of 4.29 right now, i want to see these far superior games so i can buy them. what are you playing bro? let me get on ur level. If i can buy these superior games of 4.29 i will be a happy boy

#11994 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

Steam's customer service is pretty terrible. Mostly because Valve is still a relatively small company in proportion to their user base. They probably don't have anywhere near the amount of CS people they should to handle tickets.

And yet I can't help but think that a company with an estimated worth of $2.5 billion might be able to afford to hire a few more people in this department.

#11995 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Eh, that's an extremely drastic opinion. The game isn't absolutely amazing, but if you're into zombies and open world games action RPGs, Dead Island is still really good. The loot system could be a bit better, and it's not like the story is great (ZOMBIES), but the flaws are drastically over-exaggerated.

And actually I think solo mode is way better than co-op. Really keeps you on your toes and makes things more perilous and survival oriented. I think it's a bit silly to have four killing machines jumping around killing everything with ease in a deadly zombie outbreak... but that's just me. Just doesn't feel like the kind of game for that.

And yeah, it's not going to get much cheaper.

I played about 3 hours of it when I got it in the summer. I thought it played perfectly fine and was pretty enjoyable. Need to get back to it at some point.

One of those games that seemed like if you tried to do every quest you would probably burn out on it early, though. There were a lot of quests all over the place even in the first few hours I played, and not all of them were particularly great or had much of a payoff.

#11996 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Or simply download Black Mesa Source although I am unsure on whether or not they finished the last bit of the game yet. Don't spend any money and essentially get the same experience with better visuals.

This month's issue of PC Gamer magazine had an article about this saying it was finished.

It's still not finished, and I think the original is worth playing, regardless.

wrong

If they really wanted to give out a coupon to ONLY those who did the survey, they should really give out UNIQUE CODES AND tie it your GMG account.

or a simple email address check

The main reason I am upset is that if I can't make future purchases, then I basically can not buy any DLC for any games I already own.
Making a new account is a huge hassle. I'd have to
-Rebuy games I already own if I want to buy DLC. Including $60 for Black Ops2 if I want to play any of the upcoming DLC maps
-Lose any progress that may apply from games that bind their account to steam account (like CoD unlocks)
-Lose all friends on my friend list and have to rebuild it
-Keep track of which games are on which account and constantly switch back and forth
-Lose my entire steam inventory, including TF2 items and any of those one-time exclusive items that I have

The account action I received is usually reserved for chargebacks and credit card fraud so I am completely confused why they did that to my account out of nowhere. I also haven't even traded in several months so I doubt I received some game that turned out to be fraudulently purchased, plus none of my games are missing from what I can tell. I guess all I can do is wait, but my previous tickets were not handled very well for minor issues compared to this. Usually they would post a non-related response and close my ticket like they didn't even read it.

And yet I can't help but think that a company with an estimated worth of $2.5 billion might be able to afford to hire a few more people in this department.

hookers
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#11997 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

hookers

Wouldn't they be considered front line customer service?

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#11998 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

With 4.29 you could get something off the steam winter day sales that are far superior.

can u name me some games that are the same price range of 4.29 right now, i want to see these far superior games so i can buy them. what are you playing bro? let me get on ur level. If i can buy these superior games of 4.29 i will be a happy boy

There are no Steam winter day sales today. They start in ten days. :-#

But $3.54 Orcs Must Die! 2 is a bargain and also has co-op, and that's available today. Or there's the $1 THQ bundle, which is still available. Both are probably a better price (although I think Dead Island without DLC for $4 was probably a better buy than GOTY $5, considering the "quality" of the DLC).

I've had a lovely time playing (apparently) six hours of Dead Island co-op with a friend these past couple of weeks. Like a nice tropical resort holiday. With zombies. But lovely sights and engaging thwackthwackthwack aside, it certainly isn't a classic. :booty:

#11999 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

I played about 3 hours of it when I got it in the summer. I thought it played perfectly fine and was pretty enjoyable. Need to get back to it at some point.

One of those games that seemed like if you tried to do every quest you would probably burn out on it early, though. There were a lot of quests all over the place even in the first few hours I played, and not all of them were particularly great or had much of a payoff.

Yeah, very true. You are given a lot of quests in quick succession, but you don't have to do them. Most of the time, completing a quest for someone will get you a stronger weapon than you might typically find at whatever point in the game you're at, so quests generally keep you well equipped, but you'll always be getting new and better weapons (and upgrading them), so it's completely optional.

If you come at it expecting another zombie shooter, you'll be surprised. The game is centered on melee combat. I personally play a blade thrower though. It's pretty badass chucking a cleaver into a zombie, then rushing him and pulling it back out of his chest while he's still "alive" so you can throw it again.

Maybe it's buggy for some people, but I never noticed anything serious. I heard it was worse on consoles.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#12000 crabbit

crabbit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

No.

I agree! I rented it from GameFly and I never did try playing it coop, but I played it on single player for about two hours and just couldn't take it anymore. The visuals are great and the immersion is wonderful, but I just couldn't have any fun with the gameplay and missions.