Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#12151 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to have multiple Steam accounts with the same billing details.

Is that against any kind of terms of use?

What if it's an account that one of your children use or something?

#12152 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Is that against any kind of terms of use?

What if it's an account that one of your children use or something?

No, it's not against any kind of terms. Maybe he's just being paranoid or something, dunno.

#12153 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

No, it's not against any kind of terms. Maybe he's just being paranoid or something, dunno.

People need to stop all this avatar changing.

I only just made the connection that it was you without the gas mask picture.

#12154 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

There's a reason for all of the avatar changes. 'Tis the season to be trolling. Trololololol lolol lol lol.

Gotta change it up to keep us on our toes. ;)

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#12155 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Where are you getting your info?

My concern is not because I've read anything that explicitly forbids it, but rather because I haven't seen anything that explicitly allows it. Given how seriously it is taken by other online retailers, I am naturally wary.

Regarding the quote: Allowing multiple people / accounts on one computer is quite different from holding multiple accounts, or using the same billing details on multiple accounts.

#12156 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

It wouldn't add, it would instead apply one then the other. Not sure on the exact percentage that would make it 90% off, but it'd have to be a second coupon somewhere between 85% and 90% to get there.

If it's not going negative, then what's going wrong with the 90% & 15% stacking then?

There's a reason for all of the avatar changes. 'Tis the season to be trolling. Trololololol lolol lol lol.

Totally! ^_~

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#12157 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

So much scheming going on I can't keep up!

#12158 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

My concern is not because I've read anything that explicitly forbids it, but rather because I haven't seen anything that explicitly allows it. Given how seriously it is taken by other online retailers, I am naturally wary.

Regarding the quote: Allowing multiple people / accounts on one computer is quite different from holding multiple accounts, or using the same billing details on multiple accounts.

Having multiple accounts to make legit purchases with the same billing info is perfectly fine. Obviously people would use that method for committing fraud, but they'd get flagged for fraud, not for having multiple accounts/same billing info.. Completely different things.

Most retailers don't care if you use multiple accounts. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that actually restricts you to one paypal account is GMG..

Oh and, here's a couple legit scenarios where someone would be forced to create another account:

1. You got VAC banned, need to make new account and rebuy game to not have VAC ban on account
2. You bought a game with crappy DRM/limited activations that can't be reset, have to make new account to rebuy game for new key with new set of activations

#12159 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

How is Death Rally on PC? I have it on iPhone, where it's a little clunky control-wise. Worth picking up again?

Picking up again? I don't know. I haven't played the game on an iDevice. My understanding is that there haven't been any substantive changes, so if you've played and finished it on another platform, it may not be worth a re-buy. For first-time buyers, $1 is a great deal for this oddly-fun top-down game.

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#12160 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

*Edit: Okay I don't want to get into some stupid 'I'm right' 'No I'm right' 'No I'm right!' internet argument over this. I have a lot of money invested in my Steam account and I'm not about to even take the slightest chance of risking it for a 99 cent game because some guy on the internet says it's okay. After the whole shenanigans with the gifts and coal last Christmas I imagine trading from dummy accounts is something they look out for but the bottom line is

I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING IT AND THEY NEED TO FIX THEIR COUPON.

Let's not make excuses for them please.

Or you could just make another account, buy it, and gift it to your main account. Pretty simple process.

Maybe I am being paranoid but I don't want to risk having a shill account with the same payment info (even with Paypal you have to give your address) or otherwise have them notice 'Gee, there's this account with hardly any games on it that's trading to someone etc'

I'm sure it's against the terms somewhere to have a second account like that etc. I would feel more comfortable if another legitimate user did it but...

We shouldn't have to. They need to fix it. It's ridiculous to make us jump through these hoops and I don't think any supposedly "simple process" excuses that.

#12161 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'm sure it's against the terms somewhere to have a second account like that etc. I would feel more comfortable if another legitimate user did it but...

We shouldn't have to. They need to fix it. It's ridiculous to make us jump through these hoops and I don't think any supposedly "simple process" excuses that.

I agree that they should fix the coupon, but it's not against the terms to have a second account with the same billing info. They state that multiple accounts are allowed, I'm sure the same goes for billing info, would make no sense otherwise. I think its just paranoia getting to you guys, but I understand if you want to wait until the coupon is fixed.

The only time you seriously risk getting banned or having your account restricted is if you're abusing the system or exploiting it somehow, like what people did back during the xmas event last year. And even then.. the only accounts that got banned were people that made hundreds of them.

#12162 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

They state that multiple accounts are allowed, I'm sure the same goes for billing info, would make no sense otherwise.

They state multiple accounts are allowed on a computer, which is completely different than saying multiple accounts are allowed per user. Not everyone has a personal computer that no one else uses.

I don't think it's against the ToS or anything, but what you said is misleading.

#12163 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Well obviously someone should ask Steam support for clarification, but the likelihood of getting an answer before world's end is slim. 9 days to get those backlogs cleared!
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#12164 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

They state multiple accounts are allowed on a computer, which is completely different than saying multiple accounts are allowed per user. Not everyone has a personal computer that no one else uses.

I don't think it's against the ToS or anything, but what you said is misleading.

Do I need a separate account to run a dedicated server?

If you are using a single Steam account for your Stand-Alone Dedicated Server and your game client, you will run into the "Invalid Steam UserID Ticket" error which is presented to multiple users attempting to play simultaneously - if you intend to use a computer as a dedicated server, you must create a separate Steam account to run the dedicated server software.

That is in their official FAQs. So they do endorse multiple accounts for one user in certain circumstances.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#12165 spoderman

spoderman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

As Fox said.. what I said wasn't misleading, you just have to read their FAQs ;)

Thanks Fox!

I'm pretty sure I've also seen a Valve employee post that you're allowed to create as many accounts for yourself as you want. They just don't want you exploiting or committing fraud.

Edited by spoderman, 12 December 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#12166 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I've also seen a Valve employee post that you you're allowed to create as many accounts for yourself as you want. They just don't want you exploiting or committing fraud.

I recall seeing a valve employ saying that as well. I wish I could find that post, but unfortunately I didn't bother to bookmark it.

As I recall, the basic gist of the post was that you can have more than one account, but you need to keep track of which account you buy a game for. You can't go crying to them if you accidentally buy a game for the wrong account. The valve employee seemed to be more concerned with getting a flood of people asking them to move such & such a game from one account and moving it to another. Of course, he might have been specifically replying to a question from another poster and thus tailored his response accordingly. I'm sure they also care about people using the account to commit fraud.

#12167 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

You dirty coal farmer!

#12168 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

If it's not going negative, then what's going wrong with the 90% & 15% stacking then?

Nothing wrong with that, i was just being a pedant and correcting math. It really makes a difference of only $.15, so I don't know why they bother with not letting it stack. It's probably just left over from them making coupons not stack with sale prices.

#12169 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hmm, good news for Hitman fans, Hitman Trilogy HD seems set for release at the end of Jan, PS3/360. It includes the unavailable for some time Hitman Contracts (some licensing issue). Asl well and Blood Money and 2 Silent Assassin. Joystiq

Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

#12170 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Nothing wrong with that, i was just being a pedant and correcting math. It really makes a difference of only $.15, so I don't know why they bother with not letting it stack. It's probably just left over from them making coupons not stack with sale prices.

^_^ I know what you're saying. I don't think we're on the same page however. There's a facebook coupon for 90% off that people who own Alan Wake (who get an automatic 15% off) aren't able to use. It they stacked normally, say, $10 * (1 - 0.90) * (1 - 0.15) = $0.85 and I imagine people would buy it. However people aren't able to, so I assume it's working like $10 * (1 - (0.90 + 0.15)) = - $0.50 (get the game free and $0.50 for your trouble).

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#12171 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

wow, this is getting confusing. asheskitty is using serverose's avatar, or is the thread glitching?

http://postimage.org/image/uqpz5o5th/

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#12172 SevereTireDamage

SevereTireDamage

Broken-$$$$ed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

We're way above 500 pages, so glitching is expected...

#12173 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

wow, this is getting confusing. asheskitty is using serverose's avatar, or is the thread glitching?

Nah, I was jesting. See below.

Totally! ^_~

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#12174 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Severose=asheskitty

I've known that for a long time.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#12175 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING IT AND THEY NEED TO FIX THEIR COUPON.

Yes, they do.

But Steam has no problem with you having multiple accounts. Indeed, if you want to have Steam running on multiple systems in your house--say a gaming PC and a HTPC--you will need multiple accounts. That, of course, might mean multiple purchases of the same game, which means more money for Valve.

#12176 bantheradio

bantheradio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Death Rally coupon has been fixed.

It looks like the coupon, when added to your cart, changes the price of Death Rally to $9.99 with a strikethru above it for the original Alan Wake discount price of $8.49.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12177 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Just checked my cart, coupon is now working as intended.

Edit: Ninja'd. So, today's deal is Shad'O for 50% off ($4.99)
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12178 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Yes, they do.

But Steam has no problem with you having multiple accounts. Indeed, if you want to have Steam running on multiple systems in your house--say a gaming PC and a HTPC--you will need multiple accounts. That, of course, might mean multiple purchases of the same game, which means more money for Valve.

I have one steam account with installs on two gaming PCs (new & old) and two laptops (Mac & PC). I tend to keep the secondaries in offline mode.

One thing I would caution if you use the same account over multiple machines, is that your categories will get reset often (total PITA if you use categories). I recommend keeping a backup of Steam/userdata/{userid}/7/remote/sharedconfig.vdf so that you can replace that file and get your categorization back.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#12179 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Quote me!
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12180 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I agree that they should fix the coupon, but it's not against the terms to have a second account with the same billing info. They state that multiple accounts are allowed, I'm sure the same goes for billing info, would make no sense otherwise. I think its just paranoia getting to you guys, but I understand if you want to wait until the coupon is fixed.

The only time you seriously risk getting banned or having your account restricted is if you're abusing the system or exploiting it somehow, like what people did back during the xmas event last year. And even then.. the only accounts that got banned were people that made hundreds of them.

Bla bla bla I am right you are wrong bla bla bla usual internet crap.

REREAD MY EDITED POST

I don't care. I don't feel comfortable doing it. Have your argument. There you are right. You won at the internets.