Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#12451 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Random Encounter is a really cool idea with a neat style, but the difficulty curve is all over the place, to the point that even though it's only around an hour long I didn't feel like finishing it.

Buddy of mine (who has pretty eclectic tastes and likes most indie games) said it was mediocre at best, had some bugs, and yeah, there's the whole hour long thing. But yeah, you know a game can't be that good if you get tired of it within twenty or so minutes.

Not really acceptable for a multi-billion dollar retailer but what choice do I have if I want to play PC games these days?

While Steamworks as a DRM is becoming more and more pervasive it isn't THAT pervasive yet. Maybe about 20 or so modern titles (excluding Valve's own games)?

#12452 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Still nothing from Steam Support. I get the feeling they don't work weekends! And since I only inquired why it was suspended, I will still have to figure out whatever to resolve it once I get a response back, another week of waiting for responses. Then come the holidays and steam winter sale too... I have a feeling I won't be getting this resolved until mid-january if I am lucky.

Not really acceptable for a multi-billion dollar retailer but what choice do I have if I want to play PC games these days?

After all this I fail to see what is so bad about Origin. The client? Just sits there it seems. Lacks cool features but very basic. Support? Actually can email, call, or live chat and get a response within minutes. "EA is so greedy!!"? And Valve isn't? You are fooling yourself if you think Valve has huge sales out of the kindness of Gabe's Heart.

So when you first posted on here I kind of got after you about being too upset for the situation as it stood at that point.

As it has now been a number of days with no word back, you now have my permission to be extremely pissed off.

Because I'm sure you've been waiting with bated breath for my approval.

While Steamworks as a DRM is becoming more and more pervasive it isn't THAT pervasive yet. Maybe about 20 or so modern titles (excluding Valve's own games)?

It is significantly more than 20.

#12453 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Still nothing from Steam Support. I get the feeling they don't work weekends! And since I only inquired why it was suspended, I will still have to figure out whatever to resolve it once I get a response back, another week of waiting for responses. Then come the holidays and steam winter sale too... I have a feeling I won't be getting this resolved until mid-january if I am lucky.

After all this I fail to see what is so bad about Origin. The client? Just sits there it seems. Lacks cool features but very basic. Support? Actually can email, call, or live chat and get a response within minutes. "EA is so greedy!!"? And Valve isn't? You are fooling yourself if you think Valve has huge sales out of the kindness of Gabe's Heart.

Fire off another ticket with a different header and department. I had to do that to get my last painfully easy issue resolved

#12454 SuiCide_KiNg_213

SuiCide_KiNg_213

DeAL ThIEF!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Fallout Collection $6.80

http://store.steampo...d.com/sub/2008/

Anyone know if this is a good deal. Never played the games but would like to get into them?

#12455 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

It is significantly more than 20.

It's insidious! Like a silent creeping disease!

Fallout Collection $6.80

http://store.steampo...d.com/sub/2008/

Anyone know if this is a good deal. Never played the games but would like to get into them?

Pretty good deal -- $2+ for each. Sometimes you can find them on GOG around that price if you prefer the DRM free option. Just keep in mind these are absolutely nothing like the modern iterations of Fallout.

#12456 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

With this in mind, I'd like to say nice job on the last six pages of this thread. good work team.

RollingSkull, you just keep being you. Every time you use this account I imagine you posting while cruising around in something like this: Posted Image

Now where are my Bioshock Infinite conspiracy discussions?!

#12457 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Oh, Rsmobile is Rolling Skull? Time to update my ignore list. Not that I find him offensive but his taste in games is usually so laughably bad that most of his posts are a waste of space.

#12458 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Why is are you using that account, RS, by the way?

#12459 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Thanks. I feel like I'll buy it out of peer pressure.

I kind of want to pull a Magicka buy and just get all the SS stuff so I don't ever have to think about it again the many times it goes on sale.

It's bad when you start feeling like games have a personality and are constantly hounding you to buy them.

I've wondered that several times but then I got tired of wasting brain power trying to come up with a reason that makes any kind of sense at all.

That seems harsh over someone's taste in video games.

He's like someone's grumpy old uncle who hates everything but has a secret soft spot for Anime.

#12460 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

Oh, Rsmobile is Rolling Skull? Time to update my ignore list. Not that I find him offensive but his taste in games is usually so laughably bad that most of his posts are a waste of space.

#12461 clickpow

clickpow

Zeus himself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Lol. This x1000.

Also I'm very happy with that serious sam bundle.
:cold:

#12462 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

If you think that is harsh you should check at my usual stomping ground: http://www.rpgcodex....orums/index.php

#12463 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Dear Steam,

What did you think I did wrong so I can use the correct argument in my defense. This will aid me in not further implicating myself in stuff you don't know abo...errrrr...accusing me of other things I haven't done.

Sincerely,
Wrongfully Accused

#12464 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I like RS! I'm not into SHMUPS and Eastern games and he can't convince me otherwise, but sometimes he's the voice of reason we need.

#12465 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

There are some genuinely bad games out there that I'm sure he and I agree on but I've seen him bash some good indie games while praising modern AAA shlock. It's enough for me to discount anything he says. I have no doubt there are many people here who disagree with my tastes but I usually keep my stronger opinions to myself for the sake of decorum.

#12466 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

$10 for the SS franchise isn't all that great a deal. You don't need the whole franchise. It'd be like buying every Dynasty Warriors game in one big bundle. You can get the best and only one you need for $2.50 regularly

The SS franchise pack is for the fan. If you don't love the series then getting all of them (I'm sticking with just the FPS games in the pack here) might be overkill. But if you find the goofy humor and nutty action to be your cup of tea then they are different enough that you'll find you want to entire offering.

76561197971332172.png

#12467 chris00cm

chris00cm

Deal Connoisseur

• CAGiversary!

When does the winter sale begin? Sorry I bet this question has been asked multiple times.

#12468 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

I like RS! I'm not into SHMUPS and Eastern games and he can't convince me otherwise, but sometimes he's the voice of reason we need.

RS is right more than people like to admit. I now see his opinion on Serious Sam used by all kinds of people when the "which SS should I get?" question pops up. Maybe, and it's just speculation, people disagree because he actually plays the games he has an opinion on, while others just use groupthink as their opinion. Hell, the SS example above has essentially become groupthink.

When does the winter sale begin? Sorry I bet this question has been asked multiple times.

After the Rams wreck the Vikings and shortly before they stomp the Buccaneers.

#12469 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

So Square is having a half off sale right now and while the console people are all ZOMG HALF OFF!? for PC we're pretty much like Only HALF off? Meh.

Anyway, I did notice Season of Mystery, the Cherry Blossom Murders (hidden object point and click) is going for $2.49 and activates on Steam. I think that's about as cheap as it's ever been.

Not too much else of interest for the PC that I could see. Sleeping Dogs has already been sub half off if you count some of the GMG voucher stacking deals.

#12470 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

RS is right more than people like to admit. I now see his opinion on Serious Sam used by all kinds of people when the "which SS should I get?" question pops up. Maybe, and it's just speculation, people disagree because he actually plays the games he has an opinion on, while others just use groupthink as their opinion. Hell, the SS example above has essentially become groupthink.

No groupthink from me -- I just disagree with the vast majority of his opinions. I don't disagree with his opinion on SS stuff but, on the whole, we have drastically different tastes. Thus his 'rightness' on any given title is also a matter of opinion/taste.

20th.

#12471 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words and nomination folks in regards to the next thread. I don't think I'm up for it though. I'm also usually barely available during the Thanksgiving and Winter sales and I was even gone during the summer sale this year and those are important times for this thread.

Based on the mobile I assume he has his main account running the regular CAG skin and the mobile one using the mobile skin. I remember enabling the skin on my phone for the first time, coming back to the PC and seeing it had changed there as well, and then running off to tapatalk.

#12472 chris00cm

chris00cm

Deal Connoisseur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

After the Rams wreck the Vikings and shortly before they stomp the Buccaneers.

That is right before they make the playoffs? Heh. Heh.

#12473 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

I usually keep my stronger opinions to myself for the sake of decorum.

These comments next to each other look funny to me.

#12474 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Thank you, I'm here all week. Tip your waitress. But, like I said to the other guy, if you think that's a strong/harsh opinion, there are places on the internet that would make you blush.

#12475 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for the kind words and nomination folks in regards to the next thread. I don't think I'm up for it though. I'm also usually barely available during the Thanksgiving and Winter sales and I was even gone during the summer sale this year and those are important times for this thread.

Based on the mobile I assume he has his main account running the regular CAG skin and the mobile one using the mobile skin. I remember enabling the skin on my phone for the first time, coming back to the PC and seeing it had changed there as well, and then running off to tapatalk.

So louiedog is out of the running. Anyone want to volunteer? Now is the time to step up:

https://encrypted-tb...zFPdxx2Em8phAgQ

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#12476 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

I try not to make a big deal out of it but I use Rsmobile so my "unread CAG posts" lights don't mess up every time I accidentally click the wrong bookmark on my phone. And also because the mobile skin sucks eggs.

But yes, it's me dialing in crap on the phone. That's it.

The SS franchise pack is for the fan. If you don't love the series then getting all of them (I'm sticking with just the FPS games in the pack here) might be overkill. But if you find the goofy humor and nutty action to be your cup of tea then they are different enough that you'll find you want to entire offering.

The fan ALREADY HAS the series though. That's the oddest part. Anybody who doesn't have the series would be jumping in too deep buying all of these games, especially considering the deal history of these games and how almost interchangeable they are.

Regarding Mooby, I've got a thick skin. It's perfectly alright. Many people on the internet have trouble when they view opinions that conflict with their own. That said, let's drop the subject. I get annoyed when a page doesn't have deal discussion on it and doubly so when it becomes meta-deal-RollingSkull discussion. There are enough waste of space posts on this forum without continuing to ego-feed someone's unnecessary public declaration of an addition to an ignore list.

Have to crack though, the mean streets of RPG Codex? Those neckbeards? Oh man, that's almost as much e-badass cred as you'd get claiming you grew up in the rough-and-tumble, take-no-prisoners hellhole that is Rutland, Vermont.

See? I get triply annoyed because I CANNOT STOP MYSELF FROM CONTINUING e-slapfights.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#12477 Lint21

Lint21

Probably Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

If RollingSkull doesn't maintain the OP I'm going to put him on my ignore list because opinions
SUPPORT FLOUR GUNS.
Posted Image

#12478 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

For the Steam thread I find the OP pretty irrelevant. I don't think the title matters much, since people will check it out for it maintaining it's top-10-CAG-thread rank. It's not like the seasonal steam sales pass without notice. If anything, I think it would be nice to have thread with a really dull name for regulars to hang out in during the steam sale. -- Thus not being forced to wade through 3 pages per hour of "Does it activate on Origin?" "If I buy the DLC can I play it on Xbox?" "What are good games?" "Can I pay with paypal?" "Game X sucks. Steam sucks. All of you suck."

I kind of want to pull a Magicka buy and just get all the SS stuff so I don't ever have to think about it again the many times it goes on sale.

It's bad when you start feeling like games have a personality and are constantly hounding you to buy them.

I manged to talk myself outta it. First Person anything runs a high chance of making me motion sick. I haven't had any urge for Quake-like gameplay.

>.> Magicka. I finally bit on it for $3.25 in spring and played it. Kinda fun/novel, but a bit overhyped. After finishing the base game I had no desire to buy/play any of the DLC. This naturally meant that Tony forced upon me another copy of Magicka (and handful of DLC) back with the Crusader Kings packs in late Spring / early Summer.

Maybe renouncing the material world is the only cure.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#12479 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I've got so many of you on ignore that I don't even have to scroll the page to see all 20 posts. Of course I feel like I'm missing out so I use my mobiledog account with a clear ignore list to see what everyone is saying.

#12480 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

I've got so many of you on ignore that I don't even have to scroll the page to see all 20 posts. Of course I feel like I'm missing out so I use my mobiledog account with a clear ignore list to see what everyone is saying.

Just open the thread in a Chrome Incognito window. Never mind, you'll probably never see this.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.